Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Re: Dimitri Tiomkin's Film Score.

Postby Reb_Al on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:54 am

Reb_Al

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:57 pm

Great image of the album cover design for THE ALAMO vinyl LP record, Alex. The album cover designer may've consciously, or
unconsciously gotten the idea for that big red "A" from Al Ybarra's painted design over the Waynamo compound's main gate.
(Now, whoever pointed that out to me, please step forward, as that was not an original thought of my own.)

The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby MUSTANG on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:15 pm

Ned, my understanding is that the "A" around the entrance of the main gate, was just an accident. However, once they realized that it looked like an "A", they decided to use in the the advertising campaign.
MUSTANG

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:57 am

Look at the gate closer. It resembles the design of Spanish architech of many a gateway. There's people going through the archway. I don't think it's an "A" but it was certainly a great idea for the marketing of the film.
The score itself is one of Tiomkin's best. Dramatic and stirring yet tender and thoughtful. ("Not think'in....") That's all we had for us to remember the film was that soundtrack.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby Davy on Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:55 pm

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:Look at the gate closer. It resembles the design of Spanish architech of many a gateway. There's people going through the archway. I don't think it's an "A" but it was certainly a great idea for the marketing of the film.
The score itself is one of Tiomkin's best. Dramatic and stirring yet tender and thoughtful. ("Not think'in....") That's all we had for us to remember the film was that soundtrack.

His soundtrack was worth rememberin for sure .. it sorta sticks in yor craw so to speak! :mrgreen:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:37 pm

That's a very good point, Ron. Over the years we've seen DVD's, Blue-Ray DVD's, laser discs, VHS, and Beta Tapes and 8, and 16mm film versions of THE ALAMO. But, prior to the late 1970's all we had to remember the film by was Tiomkin's wonderful score on the vinyl 33 1/3 soundtrack record album. When you listened to the score on your HiFi you could actually relive that moment in the film thank to Tiomkin's very descriptive music. I think I can easily and rightfully say that Tiomkin's score is at least 1/2 the reason we continue to remember John Wayne's THE ALAMO. Without the powerful score, the film would be considerably diminished. The score sets both the pace and the mood of the film.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Rick on Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:09 am

Deleted
Last edited by Rick on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick

Postby Davy on Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:27 am

Rick wrote:
Nefarious wrote:That's a very good point, Ron. Over the years we've seen DVD's, Blue-Ray DVD's, laser discs, VHS, and Beta Tapes and 8, and 16mm film versions of THE ALAMO. But, prior to the late 1970's all we had to remember the film by was Tiomkin's wonderful score on the vinyl 33 1/3 soundtrack record album. When you listened to the score on your HiFi you could actually relive that moment in the film thank to Tiomkin's very descriptive music. I think I can easily and rightfully say that Tiomkin's score is at least 1/2 the reason we continue to remember John Wayne's THE ALAMO. Without the powerful score, the film would be considerably diminished. The score sets both the pace and the mood of the film.

Ain't it so. The Alamo was the first soundtrack album I bought, and I realize just how thoroughly Tiomkin's themes and melodies have sunk into my subconscious when I find myself whistling airs from his score.

Why do you think I end up whistling The Green Leaves of Summer -- or at least catch it as a case of song-on-the-brain -- when I'm scanning this Web site? Never fails.

Some day I want to hear Rich Curilla and Frank Thompson sing Here's to the Ladies -- or at least Raid for Cattle. ;)
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby Davy on Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:28 am

Rick wrote:
Some day I want to hear Rich Curilla and Frank Thompson sing Here's to the Ladies -- or at least Raid for Cattle. ;)

Are you really sure about that? :lol:

Davy
Davy

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:59 pm

I'll wager they would make beautful MOOOOOOOOOSICK together. :lol:
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby alamobill on Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:48 pm

I received the sound track for a Christmas present in 1961 and I still have it. I literally wore out our record player listening to it. From then on, until my parents were able to get it repaired, I went across the street to the neighbor's house and listened to it on their record player. A few years ago I bought the CD which of course has more selections than the original vinyl album. I listen to it quite a bit when I'm driving.
alamobill

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:52 am

I got the vinyl album before Christmas of '60 -- awaited its release anxiously -- and had no phonograph to play it on. I expected to get one for Christmas and found it hidden under the bed about a month before. When my mother would be doing dishes in the kitchen, I would sneak it out, unpack it and play the record with the two small stereo speakers against my ears like headphones as I laid on my back on the floor in the bedroom. Awesome stereo. The whole orchestra lay in a semicircle under the floorboards behind my head. Wow!
RLC-GTT

Postby Reb_Al on Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:16 am

A slight variation on the first LP cover which was issued years later.
Reb_Al

Postby HauptmannBrittles on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:44 pm

Dimitri Tiomkin Soundtracks are always the best. High Noon, Rawhide ect. But the Alamo Soundtrack is his Masterpiece. My Favorite Score it's the Entre'Acte. If you want, you can hear it on my YouTube-Channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DukeFanGermany
Remember the Alamo! ;)

Last edited by HauptmannBrittles on Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HauptmannBrittles

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:23 am

I was just doing a little research on one of my favorite groups from the 60's, The Fortunes. they were an English group who had a big hit back then called, You've Got Your Troubles. Well, on an website called Allmusic.com, I looked them up to read their history and check out the albums they have available. There's one called The Fortunes- The Singles. And lo and behold, on there is a version of The Ballad Of The Alamo from the 1960 movie. it even lets you hear a sample of the song through your media player and sure enough, it's the same one done by Marty Robbins and on the soundtrack. All I could hear is the last few verses of the song but, it sounded like they did a good job with it. Just thought I'd add this little tidbit to the conversation. I sure didn't expect an English rock group from the 60's with this song in their repertoire.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby Seguin on Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:49 am

Here it is. It´s track no. 13. If you click on it you can hear 29 seconds of the song:

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sq ... fuxqe0ldae
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby AlamoMo on Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:58 am

Thats cool and well done

They were a very big band here at one time
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:21 am

AlamoMo wrote:Thats cool and well done

They were a very big band here at one time

I think they were bigger over there than they were here, Mo. You've Got Your Troubles was their crowning achievment but, they had a couple of other songs I liked. They also did the old Coke commercials back then when Coke had "The Real Thing" going.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby Bucko on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:58 am

Watching the "Wandering Bear" Episode (2004) of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" five minutes ago, the Larry David HBO comedy, the DeGuello (Tiomkin) is played when Larry faces off with his manager's dog. It's not the soundtrack, but it is the Tiomkin tune.
Bucko

Postby bill chemerka on Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:16 pm

TexianAtHeartII wrote:I was just doing a little research on one of my favorite groups from the 60's, The Fortunes. they were an English group who had a big hit back then called, You've Got Your Troubles. Well, on an website called Allmusic.com, I looked them up to read their history and check out the albums they have available. There's one called The Fortunes- The Singles. And lo and behold, on there is a version of The Ballad Of The Alamo from the 1960 movie. it even lets you hear a sample of the song through your media player and sure enough, it's the same one done by Marty Robbins and on the soundtrack. All I could hear is the last few verses of the song but, it sounded like they did a good job with it. Just thought I'd add this little tidbit to the conversation. I sure didn't expect an English rock group from the 60's with this song in their repertoire.

The Fortunes released the tune on a 45 rpm single in 1969. The song is chronicled in the new book Music of the Alamo: From 19th Century Ballads to Big-Screen Soundtracks. Several other "British Invasion" acts recorded Alamo songs and details about them are provided in the book.

And, of course, considering the title of this thread, Dimitri Tiomkin is appropriately acknowledged in the book as well.
bill chemerka

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:50 pm

bill chemerka wrote:And, of course, considering the title of this thread, Dimitri Tiomkin is appropriately acknowledged in the book as well.

Yeah, I hate it when that doesn't happen.
RLC-GTT

Marty Robbins......The Ballad of The Alamo

Postby Cole_blooded on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:13 pm

This song by Marty Robbins sure hits home and still stands the test of time!

TED COLE....aka....Cole_blooded 8-)

CLICK HERE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL62m5um ... ture=email
Cole_blooded

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:52 am

Picked up this LP of the Tiomkin soundtrack at a used record store many years ago. What really struck me as unusual is the label that's
pasted over some of the credits. It's as though a mistake had been made and, rather than reprinting the entire rear album jacket,
a correction label was made, instead. It's really sloppy and unprofessional looking, which makes me prize it all the more. Does anyone
else have this version of the LP? And, if so, what do you suppose the correction might've been?
NefariousNed

Re: Marty Robbins......The Ballad of The Alamo

Postby Davy on Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:55 pm

Great song .. I've allus enjoyed this song from Robbins! Whatever else he was a great singer! :o :lol:

Davy
Davy

Postby MUSTANG on Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:11 pm

Interesting Ned. I have 4 copies of that album. Two in stereo and two not. The only difference is that, obviously, the Stereo version said "STEREO" right above the large "A" on the front cover and the lower one inch portion of the painting is missing. It looks like your label is identical to the ones that were published without the label. I also have a "DEMONSTRATION NOT FOR SALE" copy which looks the same. The prize in the collection is an autographed copy with Wayne, Widmark, Boone, Wills and Avalon's signatures. However, that cover also looks the same as the others. Looks like you have something mighty rare there my friend. Maybe someone damaged that portion of the cover and pealed a portion of the cover to replace it. Have you tried to peal it back to see what's underneath? Pretty cool!!!!!!!!!
MUSTANG

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:57 pm

I feel that if I peel the label back, I might damage what's beneath and thus destroy whatever value the oddity possesses. Sort of like people who foolishly steamed off the replacement jacket art on The Beatles YESTERDAY AND TODAY "Butcher" cover. They ended up destroying not only part of the 'Butcher' picture, but the value of the jacket itself.

Still, I secretly wonder what's under there. Now, if only I had an x-ray machine...
NefariousNed

Postby Davy on Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:59 pm

Nefarious wrote:I feel that if I peel the label back, I might damage what's beneath and thus destroy whatever value the oddity possesses. Sort of like people who foolishly steamed off the replacement jacket art on The Beatles YESTERDAY AND TODAY "Butcher" cover. They ended up destroying not only part of the 'Butcher' picture, but the value of the jacket itself.

Still, I secretly wonder what's under there. Now, if only I had an x-ray machine...

Where's superman when you need him? :o :lol:

Davy
Davy

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:00 pm

Something else just occurred to me; maybe it was merely a printing error and it's blank under there. Make sense?
NefariousNed

Postby MUSTANG on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:33 pm

Nefarious wrote:Something else just occurred to me; maybe it was merely a printing error and it's blank under there. Make sense?

Possible.
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:57 pm

Nefarious wrote:Image

Picked up this LP of the Tiomkin soundtrack at a used record store many years ago. What really struck me as unusual is the label that's
pasted over some of the credits. It's as though a mistake had been made and, rather than reprinting the entire rear album jacket,
a correction label was made, instead. It's really sloppy and unprofessional looking, which makes me prize it all the more. Does anyone
else have this version of the LP? And, if so, what do you suppose the correction might've been?

I SOLVED IT!!!!!!!

I have five copies of the album.

One of them matches the stick-on label and says "Music Composed and Conducted by Dimitri Tiomkin" and on the next line "Lyrics by Paul Francis Webster," which is correct billing.

The other four say "Music Composed by Dimitri Tiomkin and Paul Francis Webster" and on the next line "Music Conducted by Dimitri Tiomkin." This would be an error. Webster was the lyricist only. He didn't compose any music.

What is confusing is that the copy of the album that has it correct is the first one I bought, as soon as it came out in 1960 -- the day it arrived! The other four albums that I got in later years (including an unopened one from 1990) have the incorrect credits. All I can figure is that the contractual obligation ended after the first release and printing.

Real interesting, Nef. Now I guess I have to scrutinize and compare the albums for other errors. :roll:
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:14 am

Bully for you, Rich. Sometimes the truth is just there staring us in the face.

It's funny. I too have 5 copies of the LP and only the newest one, which I purchased back in the 1980's, has the incorrect credits for Webster.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:29 am

Curiouser and curiouser still, while the 1990 Japanese import of the soundtrack lists the correct credits for Tiomkin and Webster,
the 1993 Columbia release has the incorrect credit listings once more.
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:33 am

In the Russell Birdwell "News Release" bible, on the cast and crew list published for publicity, the credits read:

Music Composed and Conducted by Dimitri Tiomkin

Lyrics by Paul Francis Webster

This should have been law for all organizations listing the filmmakers, including Columbia Records. I would have to assume that the stick-on was revising already printed jackets only until a new printing would come out. This is why I can't figure why my first 1960 album is printed correctly and all the later ones reflect the error.

FLASH! Look at the label on the record itself. Even this changes from disc to disc -- and not in relation to the jacket! It is certainly possible that I mixed up the records in the jackets, but it doesn't seem logical to how I think. I would have only played one at a time and put it back in the same jacket, but, sure enough, the one disc with the correct billing on the label is not in the one jacket with the correct billing!!!! :x
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:08 am

Ah, you da man Rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MUSTANG

Postby AlamoMo on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:10 pm

Yep He Is Da Man !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby Davy on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:28 pm

AlamoMo wrote:Yep He Is Da Man !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

That's what all the wimmins say anyway! :o :D

Davy
Davy

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:00 am

Davy wrote:
AlamoMo wrote:Yep He Is Da Man !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

That's what all the wimmins say anyway! :o :D

Davy

Oh, that's a terrible thing to do to me right now!!! :?
RLC-GTT

Postby Davy on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:56 pm

... hey it beats ridin herd on the no-count ner-doowells! I reckon! :o :lol:

Davy
Davy

Next

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )