Dimitri Tiomkin's Film Score.

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: Dimitri Tiomkin's Film Score.

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:44 am

I'll have to check to see if the list of cues contains that as a cue. You see, live music on set isn't part of a music score created months later in a studio. But I don't believe ANY of that was live. Ya just can't get good sound out of the outdoors for music. And I KNOW the salute to Mrs. Dickinson at the end is a studio recording -- or them Shahan Ranch accoustics are purty awesome!!! :lol: But still, this doesn't mean they were included on the music track by the music editor. They might have been considered sound effects and that would be a completely different department... different editor, thus not on the music cue list.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:47 am

RLC-GTT wrote:
John wrote:Hi everyone
This is my first message after having been overwhelmed by your knowledge and comments over the last few months. What a wonderful website and what a great bunch of characters you all are. As Crockett said "I am amongst friends".
I have a lot of 8mm film taken in 1980 of the film set showing both mission and town that I hope to get on to the website soon.
All I wanted to say today is that I looked at the Dimitri Tiomkin website (http://www.dimitritiomkin.com) last night and they have just posted this info:

The complete Alamo
Soundtrack collectors have yearned for a complete recording of Dimitri Tiomkin's score for The Alamo for years. The long wait is almost over. By the time the 50th anniversary of the film arrives next year a complete recording of the music from the film will be available. Check back here for more details.

Wonderful news.

John

Thanks John. You made my day.

I checked the Tiomkin site and rediscovered the "complete" cue list for Tiomkin's Alamo score. I noticed that there are 99 music cues and the last is labeled "Travis' death." I sent the Tiomkin website a frantic e-mail asking them to check into this, because that is an incomplete list. There were a number of cues after Travis' death. I asked them to be sure that this incomplete list was not what was generating the recording -- that I hoped it would be the COMPLETE score as announced. Hopefully, I did some good.

I also notice they have a complete cue list for Tiomkin's additional Alamo music created for the TV tie-in Spirit of the Alamo.

Thanks again John for bringing this announcement to our attention -- and for finally posting on the site. Please keep it up buddy, even if you don't have something this important to announce.

The Tiomkin site did respond very kindly to my e-mail. The representative said that they did become aware of the "missing page" of cues at the end of the list and will not fail to include them in the re-release of the score -- and fix the website listing as well.
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:07 am

You're a good man Charlie Brown!!!!
MUSTANG

Postby Davy on Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:11 am

MUSTANG wrote:You're a good man Charlie Brown!!!!

That Richie ... heza "mitey willin boy" ain't he! :o :lol:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby HunterMike on Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:27 am

As we've been snowed in for the better part of 2 weeks, my kids(or I) have had the luxury of watching both Alamo's several times. Sometimes in the middle of the day, sometimes it's going before I even wake up in the a.m. I've played Alamo with them with nerf bullets I can't tell you how many times in the past few days (I'm always Santa Anna). What topped it off for me tonight was that my 5 year old thinks Green Leaves of Summer is like the best song he's ever heard. He and I pulled up about 3 different renditions on You Tube, which led us to Deguello, and the Ballad of the Alamo(Marty Robbins) and on down the playlist. It was fun as hell as I can remember listening to the soundtrack with my pop after he took me to see the movie. Just kind of a full circle event for me tonight and thought you all could appreciate it. When 2010 five and nine yr olds think Green Leaves of Summer/Deguello is way cool...it speaks well about the songs and the movie. They both have old souls. And for that I am grateful.
Greatness courts failure
HunterMike

Postby Seguin on Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:40 am

It must be great having kids that much interested in the Alamo, and it must be like reliving your own childhood experiences when you first watched the Waynamo. It seems like the Waynamo and Tiomkin´s music still have an impact on kids and that´s just awesome.
You´re a lucky guy, Mike!
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:36 am

HunterMike wrote:As we've been snowed in for the better part of 2 weeks, my kids(or I) have had the luxury of watching both Alamo's several times. Sometimes in the middle of the day, sometimes it's going before I even wake up in the a.m. I've played Alamo with them with nerf bullets I can't tell you how many times in the past few days (I'm always Santa Anna). What topped it off for me tonight was that my 5 year old thinks Green Leaves of Summer is like the best song he's ever heard. He and I pulled up about 3 different renditions on You Tube, which led us to Deguello, and the Ballad of the Alamo(Marty Robbins) and on down the playlist. It was fun as hell as I can remember listening to the soundtrack with my pop after he took me to see the movie. Just kind of a full circle event for me tonight and thought you all could appreciate it. When 2010 five and nine yr olds think Green Leaves of Summer/Deguello is way cool...it speaks well about the songs and the movie. They both have old souls. And for that I am grateful.

Wow! Reading your post actually brought tears to my eyes. Nothing better for an artist (Wayne, Tiomkin...) than to be revered by continuing generations -- and for pops to see their kids that excited about his thing. My dad and I were that way, and we did share Davy Crockett and "The Alamo" like we shared baseball. Cool beans, Mike!
RLC-GTT

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:59 pm

My entire family just think I'm nuts about anything related to the Alamo in any form possible. However I do have a grandson in training. Four years old and he likes Zorro and has watched a little Davy Crockett. I take him to Disney World in November and a dinner at Crockett's Tavern. He'll be five, just about the right age.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby HunterMike on Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:06 pm

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:My entire family just think I'm nuts about anything related to the Alamo in any form possible. However I do have a grandson in training. Four years old and he likes Zorro and has watched a little Davy Crockett. I take him to Disney World in November and a dinner at Crockett's Tavern. He'll be five, just about the right age.

My wife thought I was nuts about it for a while when we were first married. Then we had 4 children. Now she's out numbered 5 to 1. She has since crossed the line...so to speak!
Greatness courts failure
HunterMike

Postby Don on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:04 pm

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone had a very good Christmas and New Years. Best wishes to all.

This morning I checked my email and had received one from Buysoundtrax.com which included an mp3 of The Green Leaves Of Summer by Gregg Nestor. Here's a link to Amazon.com where you can listen to an exerpt or purchase it for 0.99 cents. It might be old news but thought it was worth sharing so the link is below. It says it's release date was December 29, 2009 though.

Don

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Leaves-Summer-Alamo/dp/B0032N442M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1262679218&sr=1-1
Don

Postby Davy on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:38 pm

Don wrote:Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone had a very good Christmas and New Years. Best wishes to all.

This morning I checked my email and had received one from Buysoundtrax.com which included an mp3 of The Green Leaves Of Summer by Gregg Nestor. Here's a link to Amazon.com where you can listen to an exerpt or purchase it for 0.99 cents. It might be old news but thought it was worth sharing so the link is below. It says it's release date was December 29, 2009 though.

Don

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Leaves-Summer-Alamo/dp/B0032N442M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1262679218&sr=1-1

Seems like they are " ... calling you home!" :o :D

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby John on Tue May 04, 2010 6:19 pm

Great news. Log onto Screen Archives Entertainment and search for The Alamo and a 3 disc 160minute new recording of Tiomkin's score can be yours for just 34.99 dollars !!
They also say that a new directors cut of the film is in preparation.
I have finally got my cine film of the John Wayne's mission and the town onto DVD. How do I get it onto this website ? I am happy to pst the DVD to someone if they can put it on. There is about 15minutes of film.
John

Postby MUSTANG on Tue May 04, 2010 7:21 pm

I also saw the comment about a new directors cut in preparation. Man, I hope that means what I think it do.
MUSTANG

Postby AlamoMo on Tue May 04, 2010 7:28 pm

Oh I Hope It Does John ????

Just placed my order for the 3 CD Set of the music

WOW this sounds all very exciting !!!!!!!!!

Just click on this link for loads of info:

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det ... ETE-SCORE/

Regards

Mo
Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby Davy on Tue May 04, 2010 7:50 pm

MUSTANG wrote:I also saw the comment about a new directors cut in preparation. Man, I hope that means what I think it do.

No s*&t! :o :lol:

Davy
Davy

Postby NefariousNed on Tue May 04, 2010 9:15 pm

I just placed my order, too. Here's how I heard about it:

DATE: May 4, 2010

Not long ago I was told by the best authority (*)
that the first complete recording of Dimitri
Tiomkin's score for John Wayne's 1960-released
film The Alamo was made in Nov. 2009 in Europe.
I had been told about this in confidence and I'm
now at liberty to say that the recording is scheduled
for official release on May 11 (though it can be
ordered now; see below). The recording's release
anticipates by about five months the 50th
anniversary of the premiere of the film itself on
October 24, 1960 at the Woodlawn Theatre in
San Antonio, Texas. Suffice it to say that all things
come to those who wait (and who sometimes wait,
and wait, and wait. . . )

(*) In this case my friend John Waxman, the son of
composer Franz Waxman.

The CD was produced by James Fitzpatrick of Tadlow
Music, for a Belgian label under the direction of Luc
Van de Ven; the music on this new recording is
performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic and the
Crouch End Festival Chorus, conducted by Nic Raine.

About this recording, John Waxman had told me, ". . .
everything Tiomkin wrote, much not in the picture
including entrance, intermission and exit music from
roadshow runs at the Rivoli Theatre in New York."

The recording can be ordered from Screen Archives
Entertainment:

http://www.screenarchives.com/index.cfm

Just a few of the salient details are as follows:

· The recording is presented as a 3-CD set.

· Represented on the recording -- which is
based on the original 1960 orchestrations -- is
more than an hour and a half of previously
unreleased music.

· There is nearly a half hour of bonus material
including alternative cues.

· Dimitri Tiomkin's wife, Olivia Tiomkin
Douglas, attended the recording sessions and also
wrote the introduction to the full-color booklet
that accompanies the set.

Only a definitive Tiomkin-conducted performance
of his entire score could surpass a recording like
this -- but this is something with which, alas, we
can never be graced. . . .

Most seek to have what they want. The more
fortunate actually want what they already have,
and find satisfaction in it, and sometimes even
fulfillment. We should be thankful for this new
recording.

- Jeffrey Dane -
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby alamobill on Wed May 05, 2010 1:44 am

This is very good news. I ordered mine today, also. The website is really cool as you can listen to excerpts as well as watch about a 7 minute video on the behind the scenes recording. I sure hope their promo is correct about the director's cut of the film being in process. How great that would be!
alamobill

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed May 05, 2010 2:32 am

Well, I was skeptical -- until I listened to the sample cues and watched the "making-of" video. Awesome!!! I was so afraid (due to earlier redo's of portions of the score) that it would be yet one more inept version, either poorly conducted or poorly recorded and mixed or all of above. But, the moment I listened to the first few chords of the first sample, I was in tears of profound completion. FINALLY the music presented in its fullest quality -- by folks who understand Dimitri Tiomkin and his musical depth. This recording is truly the climax of my music life. I am very moved.
RLC-GTT

Postby AlamoMo on Wed May 05, 2010 8:02 am

Wow " Now Thats Not A Bad Stab At Putting Into Words " Rich.

I totally agree with your comments and it brought
back such vivid memories of going to see it at the
age of 7.

I closed my eyes while watching this clip and tried
to imagine what it must have been like back in
1959 in the recording studio as Tiomkin and his
Orchestra were recording the music score and the
film being shown at the same time on the huge
screen in the studio as they laid down the music.

You can imagine this playing out all over Alamo
Village as you walk around the set Rich as you have
done for us before on visits.

Anyway here is the clip from You Tube just click on
the link below:

The Alamo by Dimitri Tiomkin. Behind The Scenes Recording.

The Alamo World Premiere Recording.

Behind the Scenes.

With The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDwQrKIj ... r_embedded
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby AlamoMo on Wed May 05, 2010 9:11 am

Now here's an interesting question for the experts on here ????

Would Wayne have been involved at all with the
the recording of the music score with Tiomkin ??

Maybe visiting the the recording studio as it was
being added or would he have just seen the finished
product before it was released for general public
viewing ????

Just wondering thats all !!

Regards

Mo
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby AlamoMo on Wed May 05, 2010 11:53 am

My friends

Just had this e mail from a society I am a member of so thought I would pass it
on to you all.

There are two superb quotes on Tadlows website see below about this release:

“I can't believe how exciting the recording is! I've had time for one listen and I am blown away! In the action music, the orchestra sounds like it is on fire! I totally see why you singled out the brass for praise, but the entire ensemble plays beautifully. It might very well be the best thing that you, Nic and the orchestra have yet done.” (Frank K DeWald)

“This recording of The Alamo is everything Dimitri Tiomkin would have wished for in a faithful reconstruction of his timeless score.“ (Olivia Tiomkin Douglas)

Here’s their e mail:

Dear Maurice,

Thanks for the e-mail, it is certainly great News about the new CD.

As Prometheus is a Belgian CD Company and it was also produced with the help of Tadlow Music (James Fitzpatrick) it may be best to advise UK and European buyers to consider placing their order from Tadlow Music, which also gives FREE Worldwide shipping:-

http://www.tadlowmusic.com/alamo.htm

Just thought that this would help.

Best Wishes,

Patrick

THE JOHN WAYNE FILM SOCIETY

Heres the link to the Society website:

http://www.filmcutts.com/
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby Seguin on Thu May 06, 2010 3:00 am

It´s just great with all those things happening in the 50th anniversary of the movie - The triple CD set, The showing of the movie in S.A., and possibly a new restored version of the complete movie, etc.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby AlamoMo on Thu May 06, 2010 9:03 am

Dimitri Tiomkin’s Official Website Announcement

http://www.dimitritiomkin.com/index.cfm

May 2010

Remember The (complete) Alamo.

For years soundtrack collectors have waited for a complete recording of Tiomkin’s score for The Alamo. The wait is finally over. In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the epic Western, a complete recording of music from the film will be available on May 11 from Screen Archives Entertainment and Tadlow Music. The Tadlow Music production for Prometheus Records ranks as one of the most ambitious film music recording efforts ever.

Billed as the “World Premiere Recording of the Complete Film Score,” the project was spearheaded by executive producer Luc Van de Ven and album producer James Fitzpatrick. This herculean effort took place during a weeklong session in Prague in late November 2009. Nic Raine conducted, and Olivia Tiomkin Douglas attended the orchestra sessions. The choir was recorded in London in early December. Orchestrator Patrick Russ prepared the scores from material in the Dimitri Tiomkin Collection at USC’s Cinematic Arts Library. The music, recorded by Jan Holzner (orchestra) and Gary Thomas (choir), was mixed and mastered by Gareth Williams. A full-color booklet with an introduction by James Fitzpatrick and liner notes by Frank K. DeWald accompanies the boxed set. Fitzpatrick calls the recording the greatest challenge of his career, explains how the recording came about, and gives interesting behind-the-scenes details concerning Tiomkin’s score. DeWald, the American composer, choir director, and frequent contributor to Pro Musica Sana, provides cue-by-cue summaries in the extensive liner notes.

The three-CD set contains nearly three hours of music from the 1960 film—more than half previously unreleased. Topping it all off are the bonus tracks, which include original and alternate versions for several cues. The orchestral backing track for the Entr’acte is not to be missed. As DeWald points out, “Tiomkin’s vivid orchestral textures and colors stand out in this orchestra-only track that underscored the original choral version.”

Until now, collectors and fans of The Alamo have had access to only a limited number of recordings. On the original Columbia soundtrack LP, dated 1960, the music tracks include dialogue from the film and comprise a little less than 45 minutes of music. Two later releases on compact disc, from Varese Sarabande in 1989 and Sony Classical in 1992, each contain about 45 minutes as well. A 1995 Legacy CD offers about an hour’s worth.

James Fitzpatrick previously produced a four-CD set, The Alamo: Dimitri Tiomkin, The Essential Film Music Collection, with more than 20 minutes of music from the film, including the popular ballad “Green Leaves of Summer.” In fact, Nick Perito’s recording of that song, composed by Tiomkin with lyrics by Paul Francis Webster, can be heard over the opening of the 2009 film Inglourious Basterds, directed by Quentin Tarantino and starring Brad Pitt. Perito’s version is on the Basterds soundtrack,available on iTunes. In addition to “Green Leaves,” Inglourious Basterds also repurposes film music by Ennio Morricone, Charles Bernstein, and others.

The Alamo was orchestrated by G. A. Emanuel (Manuel Emanuel), Michael Heindorf, Maurice de Packh, George Parrish, and Herb Taylor. It was one of the last orchestrations by de Packh, who died in May 1960, five months prior to the film’s release. In the late 1950s, de Packh served as an important member of Tiomkin’s scoring team, having worked on Last Train from Gun Hill, Rio Bravo, Search for Paradise, and Wild Is the Wind.

The producers travelled to Prague from Belgium and England to record the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, using parts created by Czech copyist Jiri Simunek. They then went to London to record the Crouch End Festival Chorus. The music preparation had commenced months earlier in Los Angeles, when Patrick Russ received an enormous stack of photocopies of the scores in the Tiomkin collection from Ned Comstock at USC’s Cinematic Arts Library. Russ then led the creative effort in assembling the music and oversaw the prep team. Steve Biagini typeset the scores, which were almost entirely proofread by Russ and Paul Henning, with an assist from Warren Sherk.

At the end of the project, Frank DeWald, based in Michigan, wrote the liner notes.

This long-anticipated recording should please Tiomkin aficionados and film music collectors alike—as well as the master himself.

Finally:

“This recording of The Alamo,” says Olivia Tiomkin Douglas in the introduction, “is everything Dimitri Tiomkin would have wished for in a faithful reconstruction of his timeless score.”

Dimitri Tiomkin in the recording studio 1959.

Jester Hairston ( Jethro ) with Dimitri Tiomkin in the recording studio
1959 may be something to do with the Alamo film ????

"Dear Dimi, As well as your great talent, we are lucky together, Duke."

AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby MUSTANG on Thu May 06, 2010 3:38 pm

Cool Mo!!!! Where did the photos come from??
MUSTANG

Postby AlamoMo on Thu May 06, 2010 4:44 pm

Thanks Bro real exciting this build up to the 50th Anniversary :D :D :D :D

Have a good browse of Tiomkin's website it's got a great gallery on there
also it's packed full of interesting info for a chapter maybe in your new
book ????

Regards

Mo
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby Lightcloud on Fri May 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Has enybody heard about the new 3 cd set of all the music from the Alamo score, true its not Tiomkin but Nick Rayne conducting , i have heard samples and they sound very good and close to the score. the set can be obtaind through Screen Archives Entertainment, mine is on its way to me now and i cant wait. all the cues plus unused music as well. a booklet and information on the new restored Alamo film, directors cut. at last!!
Lightcloud

Postby AlamoMo on Fri May 07, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi Mike

Just scroll halfway down Page 10 of this topic
and all the info you want about the CD set
starts there

Regards

Mo
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby Reb_Al on Fri May 07, 2010 10:15 pm

I have pre-ordered mine from this site.

http://www.moviegrooves.com/latest-1960 ... le-cd.html
Reb_Al

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat May 08, 2010 2:36 am

AlamoMo wrote:Jester Hairston ( Jethro ) with Dimitri Tiomkin in the recording studio
1959 may be something to do with the Alamo film ????

My gut feeling on this photo is that it was years before The Alamo, looks like maybe in the forties. Tiomkin and Hairston worked together at least since Lost Horizon (1937). The choir would be the Hall-Johnson Negro Choir, used in many Tiomkin scores with Hairston conducting the choir.
RLC-GTT

Postby AlamoMo on Sat May 08, 2010 11:57 am

Many thanks for your input on this photo Rich.

Regards

Mo
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby NefariousNed on Sat May 08, 2010 2:31 pm

RLC-GTT wrote: The choir would be the Hall-Johnson Negro Choir, used in many Tiomkin scores with Hairston conducting the choir.

Only there are some white folks in that choir, as well. Was that usual?
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Davy on Sat May 08, 2010 3:14 pm

Nefarious wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote: The choir would be the Hall-Johnson Negro Choir, used in many Tiomkin scores with Hairston conducting the choir.

Well there goes the neighborhood I suppose! :lol: :o

Davy
Davy

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun May 09, 2010 12:10 am

Nefarious wrote:

Dunno.
RLC-GTT

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Sun May 09, 2010 2:15 pm

As a vocalist, I never knew my skin tone has anything to do with how the sound comes out. :lol:
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun May 09, 2010 8:53 pm

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:As a vocalist, I never knew my skin tone has anything to do with how the sound comes out. :lol:

Well, it does. When you're red in the face, it usually means you've had too much Pabst and can't sing a note!!! :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby Seguin on Mon May 10, 2010 3:23 am

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:As a vocalist, I never knew my skin tone has anything to do with how the sound comes out. :lol:

It does! Why do you think the natives of New Guinea and the Eskimos in Greenland does´nt have a symphony orchestra? :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Mon May 10, 2010 4:25 pm

'cause orchestra's don't have vocals????
Pabst indeed!!! It's Sam Adams or nothing!

Fargo Fenwyck

Postby alamobill on Mon May 10, 2010 9:29 pm

Ordered the 3 CD set last Tuesday and it arrived today. Haven't listened to it yet, but it also has a very attractive and informative 31 page booklet and fridge magnet. Very professional looking and I can't wait to start listening.
alamobill

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 10, 2010 9:52 pm

Alright! That motivates me to get up and go to the post office to see if mine is there!!!! I hope! I hope! :D
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 10, 2010 11:14 pm

Baaaaa! The cupboard was bare!!!! :cry:
RLC-GTT

PreviousNext

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )