THE ALAMO (1960) On Blu-Ray?

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: THE ALAMO (1960) On Blu-Ray?

Postby DocWylie on Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:40 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Come to think of it, this will be the first opportunity to see Alamo Village in BluRay high definition -- unless you include the one scene in How The West Was Won. That's worth the price of admission right off the bat. ;)

OK. Just viewed my Blu-Ray of Two Rode Together, that arrived today. As a film, it is underwhelming... but damn! It was sure pretty neat to see Alamo Village! The scenes in the town were unmistakable with the church in the opening shot and all, and then when they rode "forty miles" out to "the fort", the Waynamo's welcoming main gate beckoned. Interior scenes of the fort grounds were unrecognizable so I assume there was a LOT of set dressing. One question I have, Rich, is about the lush interior of the saloon. Did such an Interior exist at Alamo Village? I don't remember it, but as I recall a number of the buildings were not open during my visits.

Anyway... like I said, mediocre film... but outstanding scenes at Alamo Village!
DocWylie

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:59 am

It was near the end of John Ford's career, after he got very cynical in his material. But he obviously fell in love with Alamo Village while he was on the set during The Alamo the year before and wanted to do his own movie there.

The outside of the Alamo gate and wall were indeed the background for Jimmy Stewart and Richard Widmark's ride-in. They carefully placed a covered wagon in the way so you wouldn't see the Alamo chapel. Then, when the camera is looking out the gate as they come in, wagons also block seeing Alamo Village in the background. Then the camera angle changes to one from way back inside the fort, but still seeing the gate as they continue to come in -- but this was shot at Fort Clark in Brackettville with a mock-up of the inside of the Alamo wall and gate at the far end. Cool fakery. When they ride into the foreground, dismount and go into John MacIntire's H.Q., that is an actual Fort Clark building from the 19th. century. Some friends of mine live in it now. The interior of it was a set in Hollywood.

So was Belle Aragon's Saloon. Happy used to say it was actually shot inside the building they built as the Tascosa Hotel (across the street from the John Wayne Cantina) for the exteriors, but I don't think he understood what he was seeing. It must have just been a small entry hall that was built in the actual building -- which is still just a large shell. If you notice, you can never see inside from the exterior nor outside from the interior. They carefully planned an L-shaped entrance hall so you can't see through the door. That means they had nothing to show beyond the door in either case -- or they would have made it very obvious that you could see the outside from inside. Duke was the first to want to shoot all interiors on location rather than pay rental to the major studios to use their soundstages. Ford preferred to just shoot exteriors on location and then go home to do the rest.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:59 am

Doc, does the BluRay edition have any extra features?
RLC-GTT

Postby DocWylie on Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:22 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Doc, does the BluRay edition have any extra features?

Pretty limited. Just the original trailer (that mentions "redskins"...Egad!) and an "isolated score track" which I have not listened to yet. It does, however, come with a nice little booklet that contains a somewhat interesting, and revealing, essay by Julie Kirgo. On the back is a copy of the movie poster, which is alo kind of neat to see.

Interesting about the interior scenes. I wondered if they were sound stage scenes, and also speculated that Fort Clark might have been used.

It was also fun to spot some of the Ford and Wayne regulars like Ken Curtis, who was credited, and Jack Pennick, who was not. Also spotted was O.Z. whitehead, "Hoppy" in The Horse Soldiers. Rudy Robbins and Chuck Roberson were there, according to IMDB, but I didn't pick them out. I'll have ro watch for them the next time I view it. Also did not recognize the young Ted Knight when he had brown, not silver, hair!
DocWylie

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:37 am

The isolated music track makes it worth all to me.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:53 am

Has anybody heard ANYTHING more about MGM's proposed BluRay of THE ALAMO that was to be ready in six weeks?????

Seems to fit the old bromide about Hollywood folk: "If their lips are moving, they're lying."
RLC-GTT

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:04 am

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/3 ... us/page-84

A poster on this forum suggests MGM made the announcement just to shut everyone up. They weren't really going to do anything.

I kind of agree with him.
DukeCrockett93

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:33 am

I recently found this website that sells rare DVD's and hard-to-find films, and they have the uncut version of "The Alamo" on DVD [in a 2-disc set] - http://www.cinemajohnsdvds.com/apps/web ... ow/6615290
DukeCrockett93

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:59 am

Sounds like the Hong Kong release, believed to have been pirated from the full-length U.S. laser disc. I have it. It's awful. Terrible image quality. Plus it does not have the Overture, Entr'acte and Walk Out Music. No chaptering -- or darn little.
RLC-GTT

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:06 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Sounds like the Hong Kong release, believed to have been pirated from the full-length U.S. laser disc. I have it. It's awful. Terrible image quality. Plus it does not have the Overture, Entr'acte and Walk Out Music. No chaptering -- or darn little.

Damn. I was just about to buy it too.

Weren't the Overture, Entr'acte and Walk Out Music featured on the U.S. laser disc?
DukeCrockett93

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:41 am

DukeCrockett93 wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:Sounds like the Hong Kong release, believed to have been pirated from the full-length U.S. laser disc. I have it. It's awful. Terrible image quality. Plus it does not have the Overture, Entr'acte and Walk Out Music. No chaptering -- or darn little.

Damn. I was just about to buy it too.

Weren't the Overture, Entr'acte and Walk Out Music featured on the U.S. laser disc?

The Hong Kong version (lifted from the Laser Disc) is certainly better than nothing. I think they must've left the "extras" off it so that it could all fit onto one disc.

The boxed Laser Disc version is on 2 discs (Pt. I to INTERMISSION on one disc and ENTR'ACTE, PART II on the second disc.) with the documentary on the 3rd disc.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:17 pm

If this did get released on blu-ray, what cover art do you think they should use? Should it be something pre-existing or something new?

I've seen a lot of great artwork by some of the forum posters here and feel they could make some cover art worthy to be on the blu-ray release.

I imagined the cover art as something being taken from the scene featuring "The Green Leaves Of Summer" in some sort of packaging similar to the 50th anniversary limited edition blu-ray of Lawrence Of Arabia.
DukeCrockett93

Previous

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )