THE ALAMO (1960) On Blu-Ray?

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: THE ALAMO (1960) On Blu-Ray?

Postby MUSTANG on Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:36 pm

Now, I should say that the new owners are going to try and get in contact with me as they were unavailable that day. Interestingly, they have purchased one or two entire blocks of buildings including the Woodlawn, and want to restore them to their glory days. Very commendable and expensive! Unfortunately, there aren't any theater archives to go through or if there are, they are not at the Woodlawn. I believe the owner at the time of the premiere is still living, (I know her name) and will try to contact her this weekend.
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:28 pm

MUSTANG wrote:Now, I should say that the new owners are going to try and get in contact with me as they were unavailable that day. Interestingly, they have purchased one or two entire blocks of buildings including the Woodlawn, and want to restore them to their glory days. Very commendable and expensive! Unfortunately, there aren't any theater archives to go through or if there are, they are not at the Woodlawn. I believe the owner at the time of the premiere is still living, (I know her name) and will try to contact her this weekend.

Hahahaha! Another book! ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby AlamoMo on Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:34 pm

" WOW " another book now that would be cool :D :D ;) ;)
Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:06 pm

AlamoMo wrote:" WOW " another book now that would be cool :D :D ;) ;)

I suppose we shouldn't hurry him. After all, the second one isn't out yet. But we could start a rumor....... ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby AlamoMo on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:16 pm

" 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 "

The New Book Rumour Started :D :D :D :D ;) ;)
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby MUSTANG on Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:08 am

No, I'll co-author the next one. :lol: :lol: :lol: Any takers?? Rich?? :lol:
MUSTANG

Postby Doc on Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:42 am

I may have said this before, but please, let the old man tell the story!
John, I'm in my sixties, my eyes are starting to dim but one of my grandchildren is old enough to read your book to me. I would, however, like to view the photos. Please stop wasting my precious remaining time frolicking on these pages, finish your book, and tell me when and how I may purchase it.
In all seriousness (and the last time I said that, I got married) I am looking forward to the ultimate tribute to one of my favorite films of all time.
Doc

Postby MUSTANG on Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:51 am

At 700+ pages plus another 100 pages of photos, this book will be way too long for a standard publisher. Hard to believe someone could write that much about a single film. :lol: I'm seriously kicking around the idea of an e-book with a limited hardcover run if enough are interested.
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:20 am

MUSTANG wrote:Hard to believe someone could write that much about a single film.

Not since we've met you. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby Doc on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Count on me for one of the hard cover editions. I'm sure that this is the definitive story of the making of one of the films which influenced me so long ago.
Doc

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:01 pm

Doc wrote:Count on me for one of the hard cover editions. I'm sure that this is the definitive story of the making of one of the films which influenced me so long ago.

Ditto. And it is. I'm surprised John didn't find a way to interview John Wayne. ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby AlamoMo on Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:02 pm

Well add me to that list please :) :)

I will take " 3 Hardback Copies " of the book when it becomes available.

It's been well worth waiting for

Mo
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby MUSTANG on Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:24 pm

I didn't have the opportunity to personally interview Duke, as, obviously, he passed away before I started this, but I do have numerous interviews he gave, including tapes and what was in the print. Plus a whole slew of oral history intewrviews at various university libraries. I must have 15 or 20 interviews from him of various sorts. Very interesting.
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:42 pm

MUSTANG wrote:I didn't have the opportunity to personally interview Duke, as, obviously, he passed away before I started this, but I do have numerous interviews he gave, including tapes and what was in the print. Plus a whole slew of oral history intewrviews at various university libraries. I must have 15 or 20 interviews from him of various sorts. Very interesting.

Hahaha! I was inferring that you probably got an interview with Duke IN SPITE OF his having passed away. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:24 pm

I knew that's what you meant. Actualy, I had an appointment to see him, but he didn't show up! :lol: :lol: Oh, that's bad!

I would also be remiss if I didn't thank Don Clark in allowing me to steal shamelessly from his book. Of course, he'll get the proper acknowledgement in my book, but he broke the ground upon which I was able to build further. Thanks, my friend for all that you've done!
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:59 pm

MUSTANG wrote:I knew that's what you meant. Actualy, I had an appointment to see him, but he didn't show up! :lol: :lol: Oh, that's bad!

I would also be remiss if I didn't thank Don Clark in allowing me to steal shamelessly from his book. Of course, he'll get the proper acknowledgement in my book, but he broke the ground upon which I was able to build further. Thanks, my friend for all that you've done!

Yeah, Don's a keeper. I just don't know where he's kept. ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby batjacdon on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:47 am

Oh, I'm still hiding in Oklahoma, sitting on top of Texas and contemplating my next move. I go into hibernation every October 24th and come out each March 6th.
batjacdon

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:34 am

batjacdon wrote:Oh, I'm still hiding in Oklahoma, sitting on top of Texas and contemplating my next move. I go into hibernation every October 24th and come out each March 6th.

Hey, you're awake! Good to hear from you. Now go back to sleep for another year! :lol: (Just kidding. Stick around. I need protection from this Farkis Fellow.)
RLC-GTT

Postby alamonorth on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:28 am

I know that a lot of you will not agree with me, but if you are a dinosaur like me and still have a vcr hooked up through your blu-ray it is really worth watching that magnificent vhs copy of The Alamo that we discussed several years ago. I have watched it twice in the last month and because of the dialogue ( Arruza getting his orders to go to the Alamo) or some of the characters you actually notice, it is almost as good as watching Blu-ray
alamonorth

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:23 pm

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:...It seems like every film Wayne made is on Blu-ray and yet nothing for "The Alamo". Don't make sense to me.

And Mo just sent me a link for Two Rode Together which is coming out on BluRay next month.
RLC-GTT

Postby AlamoMo on Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:59 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:And Mo just sent me a link for Two Rode Together which is coming out on BluRay next month.

Yep Two Rode Together is being released shortly but it seems the release is
limited to 3,000 copies

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Two-Rode- ... ray/96159/

I have already pre-ordered my copy

Best to you all

Mo
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:23 pm

3,000 copies, huh? Well, that should take care of Mo, John and me. The rest of you will have to scramble. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby AlamoMo on Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:44 pm

I totally agree with that Rich :) :) :) :) :(

AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:58 pm

Come to think of it, this will be the first opportunity to see Alamo Village in BluRay high definition -- unless you include the one scene in How The West Was Won. That's worth the price of admission right off the bat. ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby DocWylie on Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:18 pm

AlamoMo wrote:I have already pre-ordered my copy

Mo

Me too. Done and done!
DocWylie

Postby MartyB on Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:58 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:Come to think of it, this will be the first opportunity to see Alamo Village in BluRay high definition -- unless you include the one scene in How The West Was Won. That's worth the price of admission right off the bat. ;)

Yep...an' we'll be able to see our gal Linda Cristal as well as the old chief 'Scar'....
Attachments
z_100_1.jpg
z_100_1.jpg (63.61 KiB) Viewed 7765 times
z_100_2.jpg
z_100_2.jpg (57.3 KiB) Viewed 7771 times
z_100_3.jpg
z_100_3.jpg (60.59 KiB) Viewed 7774 times
Marty Brazil
Our past is not a dead past, but still lives. Our forefathers created the present by their sacrifice of the past. What they dreamed, we live…and…what they lived we dream.
MartyB

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:24 pm

Seems like a new thread is eminent. ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby AlamoMo on Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:06 pm

Being we are talking about Blu-Ray DVD releases I thought I would mention another
one.

Well yesterday was a great day from a film point of view my friends in my mail was
the “ 55 Days At Peking “ Blu-Ray DVD and it is stunning and it's the fully restored
Roadshow Version with the Overture, Intermission and Exit Music included and there
is of course Tiomkin’s superb musical score throughout and finally there is a section on
its restoration everything I could have wished for after waiting all these years for it to
be finally restored to its cinema roadshow version and released I was in seventh heaven
and it was well worth the wait for it to be released like this.

Below are a few screen captures taken while I was watching it on my TV and I apologise
for their quality as my camera was not able to take decent ones.

Maybe one day we will see Duke’s Alamo like this well one can dream about it if nothing
else my friends.

Regards

Mo
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:20 pm

Okay Mo, where do I order one of those '55.....??????
I too have ordered "Two Rode Together".
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby AlamoMo on Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:27 pm

Hi Ron

Sadly it has only just been released in the UK this month and
I am trying to find out the date of release in the USA.

Mo
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:47 pm

AlamoMo wrote:Being we are talking about Blu-Ray DVD releases I thought I would mention another
one.

Well yesterday was a great day from a film point of view my friends in my mail was
the “ 55 Days At Peking “ Blu-Ray DVD and it is stunning and it's the fully restored
Roadshow Version with the Overture, Intermission and Exit Music included and there
is of course Tiomkin’s superb musical score throughout
and finally there is a section on
its restoration everything I could have wished for after waiting all these years for it to
be finally restored to its cinema roadshow version and released I was in seventh heaven
and it was well worth the wait for it to be released like this....Mo

Listening to Tiomkin's rollicking soundtrack now. One of my favorites. I will get this epic American film when it does come out in America.
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm

From the "Restoration and Renovation Of THE ALAMO" thread:

Doc wrote:Robert Harris left a rather cryptic remark today over at The Home Theater Forum - "Presume plans are in place for roadshow to premiere on Blu-ray,
"fully restored". Takes under six weeks to do entire job".

Sounds as if our efforts prompted MGM into doing the bare minimum by giving us our blu-ray but abandoning restoration of the original film elements.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:12 pm

Well, if that's the case, I will be happy to have a BluRay of the "roadshow" instead of just a DVD of the cut version and a VHS of the "roadshow," but
I will forever lament the loss of our wonderful motion picture to posterity.
RLC-GTT

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:34 pm

So is this actually going to be???
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby Doc on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:31 pm

Well, there has been nothing from MGM officially, but Mr. Harris is the one person with the most credibility in this field and he seems to think so. I'm sure he is in no position to declare anything about a project in the works. Since MGM is not restoring the original film elements and that there is no 35MM of the roadshow version, I imagine that they will cobble something together like the old laser disc. MGM will then tout that they are yielding to popular demand, celebrating their 90th anniversary and honoring their commitment to film preservation, while they are actually letting the film rot to sludge.
Depending on the dubious quality of what they can piece together in such a short period, I may not reward them by investing in buying the Blu and stick to my old laser disc. If they come up with some additional extras - more Huberman, making of clips, still archive, etc. - I'll probably cave.
Doc

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:59 pm

Well, to my understanding anyway, the original idea was to have a Blu Ray of the short version, as there are still extant film prints
of it out there to transfer over to Blu Ray. The "roadshow" version would have to be a Laser Disc Transfer to DVD because it would lose
some of the sharp clarity due to the different formats being dealt with, thus making it unusable for true Blue Ray. So, while we would
have a fuzzy, distorted glimpse of what once was and what could have been had MGM /UA not destroyed the original 70 mm print, it
would be just that---just a glimpse. Am I wrong in my thinking here?
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:45 pm

BluRay, LaserDisc, VHS, etc., are only the products they put out there. The quality of future products depends on what MGM's "video master" of the movie contains and what the format and image resolution are on that master. Judging from the relatively high quality of the LaserDisc release (for that day and age), I might assume that the video master they struck from the combination of the 70 mm. cut scenes and their previous video master of the 35 mm. version could be best quality for that era and could still render a better image than what has been available to the public heretofore. The down side is that the television image quality format has been doubled since then (550 horizontal lines of resolution to 1180). Perhaps a studio "video master" even then was of higher definition than the release medium (I would actually assume so), so maybe a BluRay would provide close to excellent image quality -- for home video -- for home video audiences accustomed to whatever. However, for the millions of people who appreciate the art and science of cinema involved in those eye-popping and historic 70 mm. roadshows, the work of art is lost. All that will remain is a poor photograph of Plymouth Rock, not the rock itself. Is a poor photograph better than a terrible photograph? Certainly. But why would we settle for that if the opportunity existed to have the real thing -- as successfully done with Spartacus, Laurence of Arabia, My Fair Lady, and many other classic films -- our motion picture heritage.
RLC-GTT

Postby Doc on Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:15 pm

Encouraging words, Rich. I think that we may shafted ourselves by campaigning for a Blu release of the roadshow version, but we were attempting to have MGM restore the original film elements - not to do an "end run" and simply produce a Blu of it. I hope that you're correct but I'm skeptical of any version they can spit out in six weeks. MGM will then be able to preen and posture that their executives were correct all along and that their studio is a magnanimous champion of restoration. Maybe I'm too cynical.
Doc

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:38 pm

Two listings (unreliable at best) on Blu-ray.com for both Alamo movies on BluRay.............

John Wayne's THE ALAMO: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Alamo-Blu-ray/79919/

John Lee Hancock's THE ALAMO: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Alamo-Blu-ray/43045/

In both cases, it says, "Still not reliable for this listing." (Probably taken as an educated guess from our forum. In other words, "Some Indian told some vaqueros." :lol: )
RLC-GTT

Postby Seguin on Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:03 am

Damn vaqueros! :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

PreviousNext

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )