Cut & Missing Scenes.

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: Cut & Missing Scenes.

Postby Doc on Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:54 pm

Wow! For those of his who can't saddle up and pay you a visit is there any way you can share some of those scenes with your less fortunate "cousins"? Perhaps a new softcover book reproduction of deleted scenes? If you could even post a couple of the deleted defender death scenes, I'll pay for it and you can be my new best friend.
Doc

Postby MUSTANG on Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:59 am

LOL!!!

Ron, sorry. When I wrote "Not Thinkin'..." I tore apart most of my collection to pull out the deleted scenes, scene numbers, etc. and have not yet recompiled it back again. I just finished the 3rd book and am working on my 4th so it might be some time before I get around to it. But, I promise, when I do, I'll invite you up.

Doc, don't know how to post photos and my scanner is broke so I can't forward them to anyone to post for me. Drat!!! But, I'll see what I can do.
MUSTANG

Postby Doc on Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:32 pm

Drat, indeed. Such language! I'm in the same boat myself with a recalcitrant scanner, so I know what that is like. I'll be more than happy to pay for you to mail me your entire photo collection and mail them back to you in order (just kidding). Guess we'll all just have to wait. Thanks for thinking of us and best of luck with the new books.
Doc

Postby AlamoAaron on Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:36 pm

One of you guys mentioned that Wayne's Alamo may have been 6 hours...and though I'm not a huge fan of this movie, I beg this question: What's with slicing and dicing all Alamo movies!!!???
AlamoAaron

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:37 pm

Unless John has something else that I have forgotten, I explained to him that the 6-hour comment came from Virginia Shahan who said she and Happy watched it with Duke -- and could hear him swearing behind the scenes. Unfortunately, Virginia didn't understand film editing stages. What I believe they were watching was a "first assembly." This is all the selected takes strung together and spliced WITHOUT cutting each down to the its intended "nut," the center of a take which is the only portion they have ever planned to use. Once the "first assembly" is approved, then the editor starts trimming and cutting it down to created the final film. It is not unusual for a first assembly to be two or even three times the length of the "final cut" of the movie.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:41 pm

As far as cutting all Alamo movies is concerned, this is simply a function of marketability (as viewed by the distributor or producer) and/or the clout of the director. A director with a major track record for big budget hits (Spielberg, Ron Howard, etc.) has the contracted right to edit to any length he chooses. A new director does not. The studio or distributor looks at the film and usually insists it be cut down to conventional length -- regardless what has to go. John Lee had only directed one major film before THE ALAMO, and John Wayne had directed none.
RLC-GTT

Postby AlamoAaron on Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:05 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:As far as cutting all Alamo movies is concerned, this is simply a function of marketability (as viewed by the distributor or producer) and/or the clout of the director. A director with a major track record for big budget hits (Spielberg, Ron Howard, etc.) has the contracted right to edit to any length he chooses. A new director does not. The studio or distributor looks at the film and usually insists it be cut down to conventional length -- regardless what has to go. John Lee had only directed one major film before THE ALAMO, and John Wayne had directed none.

Huh. So bigger-named directors can choose the length of their own movies? Drat it, why didn't Ron Howard direct and John Lee be ghost director. :cry:
AlamoAaron

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:30 pm

I'd say "proven" directors are trusted to deliver a film that will "have legs" in the marketplace, whereas a first-time, unproven, director still has hurdles in front of him before he has that privilege. It is contractual. The director either is given "first cut" or "final cut" privilege. First cut means he has the right to edit the film he wants. After that version is delivered, the studio has the right to recut the film any way they wish. For the proven (money-maker) directors, they can demand "final cut" in their contract -- and get it. This means the studio agrees to release the film exactly the way the director has it edited.
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:54 am

From a Japanese program. Beekeeper and Crockett in their fooferaw. Is that John Ford perusing the script?
Attachments
Fooferaw.jpg
Fooferaw.jpg (49.48 KiB) Viewed 988 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby BexarTom on Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:29 am

I think that's James Edward Grant.
BexarTom

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:30 pm

Face looks like Grant -- as much as I can see of it -- but he's got Ford's baggy pants on.
RLC-GTT

Postby SantaClaus on Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:43 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:Face looks like Grant -- as much as I can see of it -- but he's got Ford's baggy pants on.

Ford and Grant must have slept together and gotten dressed in the dark. :lol:
SantaClaus

Postby MUSTANG on Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:52 pm

That's Grant. And, Pappy usually wore a ball cap.
MUSTANG

Postby BexarTom on Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:12 am

...and those rather chic red socks!!!!!
BexarTom

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:54 pm

Tennesseans arrive in town in their fooferaw.
Attachments
Fooferaw2.jpg
Fooferaw2.jpg (193.95 KiB) Viewed 715 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Previous

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )