Cut & Missing Scenes.

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: Cut & Missing Scenes.

Postby BERNAL on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:47 am

JOCKO DEATH
-To enable everyone to have a fair idea of the lethality of a santanista hit on the waynamo set
was added below two extreme exemples:
in the first a simple shot seems abble to put about 13 men to the mat
in the second a similar hit, upon the four VIP gang, only one bowie-shinbone will be injuried
in light of this latter instance the probality of Jocko's survival is not zero.
Attachments
Papy Mougeot 2 bis.jpg
Papy Mougeot 2 bis.jpg (71.69 KiB) Viewed 6119 times
BERNAL

Postby BERNAL on Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:01 am

JOCKO DEATH
There is no contestation about the lawful occupant of the BULLFALO-GRILL in this view of the invasion Morales of the Plaza:
Old Timmer Papy Mougeot is on his stomach on his funeral pyre near the Crockett' speak-easy.
The second shot shows perfectly the carretera in the foreground building up the baricade,
and Bob quite correctly on the "Sleep-easy" broken gunnade.
For once the script-girl did his home-work it was to report.
Attachments
Papy Mougeot 3.jpg
Papy Mougeot 3.jpg (85.04 KiB) Viewed 6123 times
BERNAL

Postby BERNAL on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:03 am

JOCKO DEATH, THE FINAL WORD
There were two Rose in the Alamo, James who remained and Louis who left, the first chose to stay the other to quit
two characters mixed in the Jocko' single character in the Waynamo.
But, for the fun, may be the Jocko's final word is not "ROSE" but "ROSE-BUD".
When you see the nice post by Nefarious on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:11 am "A couple of pertinent pages from the premiere book "(*)
in which John Dierkes' portrait is just opposite to the page where he is credited in the cast, one may wonder.
One may wonder if Wayne did not, once more time, made a citation, the citation of the Orson Wells' critic-test:
[i]Alone in his bedroom Kane, the citizen, in his latest breath, whisper the name of ROSEBUD. The snowglobe he held in his left hand falls and breaks. A noise not heard at screen "because" perhaps Kane can no longer hear (and the spectator "with him") but may be alerts the nurse who then enters the room. [/i]
They said that Wells wanted to know if the critics with whom he had a score to settle, would be quite attentive enough to realize that it was virtually impossible, for the journalists of the story, to know that last Kane's word the vain search of which made the pretext of the film.
Did Wayne made ​​the same game and even more spicy "warning" the audience of the premiere (so the critics also) by making Dierkes, who was
not a stranger, more visible by putting, before the screening, his recognizable face into the Waynamo brochure at the very place of the cast ?

(*) Ned is it possible to your kindness to give us the whole booklet or at least illustrations of George Phippen

Below:
Open Rosebud: The broken snowglobe
and Jocko going to broken wall, falling cross and oblique rempart in first rank of Bowie cavalry as he was in Houston' one three clips before (**)
Final Rosebud: Rosebud on the forgetting oven pyre
and the dear little rose of the South passing by broken logs and Papy Mougeot's funeral pyre
occupied now by Jocko, not on belly but on the back.

(**)In the uncut version it is more audible because the Bowie's man of the begining of the script is Dierkes himself
Bowie’s man : Hi, Jim. What do we do now?
Bowie : You’ll get the (final) word.(in the french version it gives "Tu le verras bientôt" ie "Thou shalt see"...)
Attachments
Papy Mougeot 4.jpg
Papy Mougeot 4.jpg (81.04 KiB) Viewed 6050 times
BERNAL

Postby MartyB on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:14 pm

For all those serious students of John Wayne's film, we've always been intrigued about Smitty's remark to the Parson about the "Colonel"...you know, not quite remembering the way to 'San Antone' because it had been so many years since he had been there. Why, did you know, there are even some mean spirited and nefarious folks about who say 'Col. Davy' was never in Bexar in his life before 1836.

Well after many...many...many years of hard work and in-depth research, I found proof that only did Davy show up in Bexar in the early 1800's but...Beekeeper was with him.

I humbly submit the fruits of my labor,,,,,,,
Attachments
Allegheny Uprising_1b2.jpg
Allegheny Uprising_1b2.jpg (105.57 KiB) Viewed 5901 times
Marty Brazil
Our past is not a dead past, but still lives. Our forefathers created the present by their sacrifice of the past. What they dreamed, we live…and…what they lived we dream.
MartyB

Postby alamocentral on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:12 pm

Dear Friends, John Farkis and I were discussing various scenes, and an obscure cut scene came up. As originally shot, Flaca had a pet bird, in the scene where Emil tried to coerce her into marriage. She maintained a studied indifference to Emil, while playing with the bird.
Ashley
alamocentral

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:05 pm

Are you serious?!!! Awesome! That expains the production still of Ford and Linda Cristal in the doorway of the airplane hangar at Fort Clark (where the set for the interior of her room was constructed) where the two of them are cooing over a bird that one of them (can't remember which) has on his/her finger. Incredible. Thanks guys.
RLC-GTT

Postby alamocentral on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:17 am

Dear Friends,
In the original version of the film, we don't see Juan and Silverio Seguin (again) until they return with the 32 men from Gonzales. As originally filmed, Silverio Seguin participated in the cannon raid. The scenes by the long barracks, with Travis, Mrs Dickinson, and Jethro waiting the outcome, included Juan Seguin. Either he was edited out, or the scene was reshot. If you look closely, you can still see Silverion in the cannon raid.

In the original film, the morning after the cannon raid, finds Crockett and the Tennesseans sleeping on the ground (just inside the west wall), and Smitty in the hospital. As originally filmed, Smity slept on the ground with his friends, and was awakenned by Carole Baxter kneeling over him.

I am sure you all know about the following scene. The finished film shows Crockett and Flaca leaving the cantina, and walking directly to the river. As originally filmed, there is a shot of Crockett telling Parson to pack Flaca's belongings and get her a buggy. I have color and BW coverage of this one (including the clapperboard).
Ashley
alamocentral

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:26 am

alamocentral wrote:I am sure you all know about the following scene. The finished film shows Crockett and Flaca leaving the cantina, and walking directly to the river. As originally filmed, there is a shot of Crockett telling Parson to pack Flaca's belongings and get her a buggy. I have color and BW coverage of this one (including the clapperboard).
Ashley

Well, I hadn't heard of that own either. But the edit follows the rules of film (of all good drama) -- don't say it twice. Gilmore (or Wayne himself) must have decided it was enough that Davy tells Flaca how her "gee-jaws" got in the buggy. And they HAD to keep that scene. ;) Plus, my goodness, to have that scene in the film would have taken all the surprise out of Davy sending her away -- for us!
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:36 am

alamocentral wrote:Dear Friends,
In the original version of the film, we don't see Juan and Silverio Seguin (again) until they return with the 32 men from Gonzales. As originally filmed, Silverio Seguin participated in the cannon raid. The scenes by the long barracks, with Travis, Mrs Dickinson, and Jethro waiting the outcome, included Juan Seguin. Either he was edited out, or the scene was reshot. If you look closely, you can still see Silverio in the cannon raid. Ashley

Here is Silvario in the raid for cattle.
Attachments
vlcsnap-2011-06-07-18h33m55s238.jpg
vlcsnap-2011-06-07-18h33m55s238.jpg (27.2 KiB) Viewed 5637 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:48 am

All I could see in the cannon raid is Seguin's man, also seen in the above raid for cattle scene with Silvario.
Attachments
vlcsnap-2011-06-07-18h42m26s210.jpg
vlcsnap-2011-06-07-18h42m26s210.jpg (28.29 KiB) Viewed 5651 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby alamocentral on Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:08 am

Dear Ned,
Silverio can be seen while their stuffing mud into the big cannon, and when the men are running to catch up with Dickinson and his riders.
Ashley
alamocentral

Postby Seguin on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:20 am

Maybe the Silvario raid for the cattle thing belongs in the 'Waynamo Bloopers' thread. :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:51 am

alamocentral wrote:Dear Ned,
Silverio can be seen while their stuffing mud into the big cannon, and when the men are running to catch up with Dickinson and his riders.
Ashley

Wow, you are right! He's wearing a serape here. Sorta threw me off.
Attachments
vlcsnap-2011-06-07-21h46m34s252.jpg
vlcsnap-2011-06-07-21h46m34s252.jpg (28.04 KiB) Viewed 5930 times
vlcsnap-2011-06-07-21h49m04s155.jpg
vlcsnap-2011-06-07-21h49m04s155.jpg (23.39 KiB) Viewed 5891 times
vlcsnap-2011-06-07-21h48m49s25.jpg
vlcsnap-2011-06-07-21h48m49s25.jpg (23.41 KiB) Viewed 5914 times
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:59 am

Seguin wrote:

Maybe the Silvario raid for the cattle thing belongs in the 'Waynamo Bloopers' thread. :D

Well, there is no Seguins and Gonzales men coming in scene in the short version of the film, so Silvario being there
during the raid for cattle scene is okay, since the scene happens after the cut Gonzales scene. Hope that makes sense.
NefariousNed

Postby alamocentral on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:39 am

Dear Friends,
I suppose there are folks who prefer the general release version of the film...but I don't know why we even discuss that "Readers' Digest" movie. For me, there has always been the original 192 minute film. Anything else is a compromise. Now that we have the complete score on CD, and the complete film on various formats...I would just like to forget the "circumcized" version!
Ashley
alamocentral

Postby Seguin on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:22 am

Nefarious wrote:
Seguin wrote:

Well, there is no Seguins and Gonzales men coming in scene in the short version of the film, so Silvario being there
during the raid for cattle scene is okay, since the scene happens after the cut Gonzales scene. Hope that makes sense.

I see! That makes perfect sense what the short version is concerned. There´s still a lot of people who bought the long version on VHS or Laser Disc, and for them it´s a blooper, right?
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:34 pm

Wasn't Juan Sequin telling Travis how many Mexicans were coming from all the reports he had recieved from his men and some Indians
near the beginning of the film? Or do I have my characters mixed up?
Wow we are hearing about a lot more scenes. Seems like Mrs. Shahan was correct about a six hour viewing. That's a lot of film on the floor.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby alamocentral on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:02 pm

Dear Friends, While doing some photo research for John Farkis, I came across something which will interest you on several levels. First of all, John Ford directed second unit battle action on the west wall (not just the cannon recoiling off the parapet). Dean Smith is in this, wearing a bandage on his head. Defenders can be seen tumbling off the wall. At the end of this scene, John Dierkes (Jocko) runs by, leading men from the southwest battery, I assume.
This may be part of the puzzle as to where Jocko ends up dead.
Ashley
alamocentral

Postby Seguin on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:35 am

Wasn't Juan Sequin telling Travis how many Mexicans were coming from all the reports he had recieved from his men and some Indians
near the beginning of the film? Or do I have my characters mixed up?

Yes, he did. He came riding into the Alamo (with his son Silvario, I believe) and told Travis that his men (Seguin´s) had been told by some Indians the Mexicans were approaching in great numbers (or something like that).
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:43 am

This is the cut scene in sequence where Wayne disarms a lancer and then throws the lance at another
lancer, killing him.

The lancer rides up.
Wayne disarms him.
Wayne is in possession of the lance.
Wayne prepares to throw the lance.
The lance sails through the air.
Another lancer is hit by the lance...
...and goes down.
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:57 am

Nefarious wrote:This is the cut scene in sequence where Wayne disarms a lancer and then throws the lance at another
lancer, killing him.

Ha! I love it. But I do still think it would have been far too much John Wayne -- too unrealistic for him to do everything he did in
the actual cut and still perform these acts of bravado in addition. A good editor says "Overdone, Mr. Wayne. I'll do what you want,
but some of this needs to be cut out."
RLC-GTT

Postby Doc on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:04 pm

Well, this cut scene looks a tad more realistic and spectacular than throwing a rifle at soldiers who simply disappear, and then waving a torch near another soldier with a similar result. I would have traded this stunt for those two feeble efforts. Other than torching off a canon at the barricade, what else did Crockett do besides fire his gun at his post?
I believe that "Ben Hur" was released before these scenes were filmed and old Ben's torch in the pirate's face was much more genuine. Since the lance gag was cut, it's too bad they didn't beef up what was left in. Then again, I was a bloodthirsty eleven year old movie fan. Apparently I haven't evolved much since.
Doc

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:20 am

Doc wrote:Well, this cut scene looks a tad more realistic and spectacular than throwing a rifle at soldiers who simply disappear, and then waving a torch near another soldier with a similar result. I would have traded this stunt for those two feeble efforts. Other than torching off a canon at the barricade, what else did Crockett do besides fire his gun at his post?
I believe that "Ben Hur" was released before these scenes were filmed and old Ben's torch in the pirate's face was much more genuine. Since the lance gag was cut, it's too bad they didn't beef up what was left in. Then again, I was a bloodthirsty eleven year old movie fan. Apparently I haven't evolved much since.

Yeah, so was I. I think I've lightened up -- or maybe the rest of the world just got more blood-thirsty by comparison and left me far behind. :lol: You may have a point about the cut scenes being more effective than the remaining scenes. Wayne killing the sodado by swinging the torch in his direction sorta says it all. When an editor cuts stuff out, however, it is usually after balancing the material against everything else and eliminating the less effective scene -- a-la the birthday party scene. :lol: So I would bet that we would agree if given the chance to see the scene in question.
RLC-GTT

Postby Doc on Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:33 am

Rich, of course you're correct, there was a bit of derring-do on Wayne's part. My typing fingers once again out-raced my addled brain cells. I meant to mention that he unseated a couple of riders on the flag mound. I actually could live without the second one, which was different but a bit along the same idea, and then cut to the lance gag.
I suppose that someone even bemoans that Lisa's birthday cake wasn't shown baking in real time.
Doc

Postby wconly on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:40 pm

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but since it brings up the topic of, in this case, a 'possible' missing scene, I will go for it. I was just sitting here thinking about the "Wayneamo" and the destruction of the set, as done by Wayne for the final shots (conclusion of battle). You know if Wayne, Grant and all involved had known about the 'engineers/mechanics' like we saw in Hancock's film, no one would have ever questioned all the walls being torn to shreads like they were! Hindsight :idea: . Truly amazing, isn't it? W>
wconly

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:02 am

While we will never really know what happened to turn Wayne sour on Happy Shahan (until Farkis and Rich come out with their books, that is),
it a pretty accepted notion that Wayne purposely blew the set to hell so that Happy could not have it. Wayne has his own version of the story
and Happy has his. The truth undoubtedly lies somewhere miles inbetween.
NefariousNed

Postby wconly on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:15 am

Nefarious wrote:While we will never really know what happened to turn Wayne sour on Happy Shahan (until Farkis and Rich come out with their books, that is),
it a pretty accepted notion that Wayne purposely blew the set to hell so that Happy could not have it. Wayne has his own version of the story

Yeah...another of those great mysteries. I was just pondering on the idea that 'had they known about the engineers,' Wayne could have used that excuse and it would have (partially, anyway) cemented the history better for the film ;) . W>
wconly

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:57 pm

in the butcherd 161 minite vertion u see Guinn 'Big Boy' Williams irish with a bayanet in him
then u see him with 2 mexicans under his arms then he screams, my question is in the uncut movie do they show how he dies
whiterabbitt83

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:35 pm

Nefarious wrote:While we will never really know what happened to turn Wayne sour on Happy Shahan (until Farkis and Rich come out with their books, that is),

My guess is that the truth lies more in the needs of the film than in either of these tempestuous personalities. Wayne, despite his temper, was a true motion picture professional. Happy had no say in the matter. I'm sure Waynes decisions were well thought out and planned way in advance. That's how a film is made -- and the ONLY way you can make a high budget movie successfully. Now, I'm not saying that Duke and Michael both didn't rub Happy's nose in it when they did it -- even though it was planned all along. Nor am I saying that Happy ever understood the real cinematic reasons for bulldozing the sets -- he didn't. I am saying that it wasn't done as a knee-jerk reaction to a hissy-fit.
RLC-GTT

Postby Davy on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:49 am

RLC-GTT wrote:

My guess is that the truth lies more in the needs of the film than in either of these tempestuous personalities. Wayne, despite his temper, was a true motion picture professional. Happy had no say in the matter. I'm sure Waynes decisions were well thought out and planned way in advance. That's how a film is made -- and the ONLY way you can make a high budget movie successfully. Now, I'm not saying that Duke and Michael both didn't rub Happy's nose in it when they did it -- even though it was planned all along. Nor am I saying that Happy ever understood the real cinematic reasons for bulldozing the sets -- he didn't. I am saying that it wasn't done as a knee-jerk reaction to a hissy-fit.

Well thar now ya have it .. Wayne & hissin bullying friends! :o :twisted:
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:02 am

whiterabbitt83 wrote:in the butcherd 161 minite vertion u see Guinn 'Big Boy' Williams irish with a bayanet in him
then u see him with 2 mexicans under his arms then he screams, my question is in the uncut movie do they show how he dies

There are stills of Big Boy jumping down onto some mattresses below the wall. Presumably the sword thrust and the fall killed him.
NefariousNed

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:05 am

ned did u post the stills so we can see it
whiterabbitt83

Postby mrbassbone on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:21 am

Those were posted a long time ago.
whiterabbitt83 wrote:ned did u post the stills so we can see it
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
mrbassbone

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:39 pm

is there a link to those pictures i can see
whiterabbitt83

Postby gtj222 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Go to the main menu and go to The Alamo 1960, then scroll down to actual scenes alamo 1960. Then go through the pages, it is probably in there somewhere.
gtj222

Postby AlamoMo on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:36 pm

Here is the link to the page just scroll down to the photo

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13&p=26499&hilit=Quinn+Williams#p26499

Regards

Mo
Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:00 am

In this cut action sequence from Bill Moody's home movies, we see the "18 pounder" just
having been rolled down the ramp and then aimed at the south end of the Long Barrack.
It is this unseen (in the final print) gun that demolishes most of Travis' headquarters.
Attachments
vlcsnap-2012-11-04-14h08m24s101.jpg
vlcsnap-2012-11-04-14h08m24s101.jpg (36.52 KiB) Viewed 5365 times
NefariousNed

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:21 pm

For me, scenes like this would have added so much to the battle. Duke did do the final edit correct? Was this a solo effort or did he have help picking and choosing? I assume the final decisions were his and his alone. He must have had some really tough choices. I would have liked the Texans entering San Antonio, skip the feather scene, along with the Jefferson speech and MORE MISS BAXTER. Just kidding on that one. N'yuk, n'yuk, n'yuk.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:48 am

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:For me, scenes like this would have added so much to the battle. Duke did do the final edit correct? Was this a solo effort or did he have help picking and choosing? I assume the final decisions were his and his alone. He must have had some really tough choices. I would have liked the Texans entering San Antonio, skip the feather scene, along with the Jefferson speech and MORE MISS BAXTER. Just kidding on that one. N'yuk, n'yuk, n'yuk.

Actually, you can see a bit of this in the background from the extreme right. It is in the angles of the wall blowing in, the Texian rifleman getting hit and the Mexicans running in under the burning stuff. You might not have noticed because you were watching the Styrofoam adobe brick blow away at their feet. :lol:

Editing guild rules insist that a film editor (and team) be hired for the job of editing the film. The Directors' Guild rules insist that the director (on a studio picture) at least gets "1st. cut" privileges. Batjac of course was an independent company, but still following the protocol of the industry -- and still under all guild and union requirements.

Wayne would have *supervised* the editing and, indeed, made all creative choices, looking over the shoulder of the Film Editor who knows the craft (Wayne was an actor) -- and it is a very very technical job. Wayne would have "spotted" the film with Tiomkin for music cues. If like most directors, he would have told Tiomkin where he wanted music -- the "in point" and the "out point," and then Tiomkin would have run with it to create the music cue. Wayne would tell him what he wanted and Tiomkin would try to talk him out of it. LOL.
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:44 am

As Wayne started "North to Alaska" in early May, I would imagine the edit must have been completed by then, don't you think?
MUSTANG

PreviousNext

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )