Behind The Scenes Photographs.

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: Behind The Scenes Photographs.

Postby Rob on Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:56 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:Yeah, just because you are hanging out with that teeny-bopper! :lol:

Seriously, Chris. Why is it the wife never seems to age...but YOU look like hell?!!! :o Did she make some kind of deal with the devil, or something? :shock: :D
This is it, Crockett, they've breached the North Wall, we gotta'...
Rob

Postby Seguin on Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:23 am

Doc O'Hara just sent me this photo of Harvey clowning around. For those who've read the Farkis book, Doc suggests the caption should read:

"I did WHAT at Joan O'Brien's???!!!"

That´s one funny photo! :lol:
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby alamocentral on Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:49 pm

Howdy Pardners:
In the last year, I have made 500 8x10 BW prints from original 4x5 negs. These haven't been printed since 1959-60. Since then, I have made 125 11x14 BWs from 4x5; 75 11x14 BWs from 2-1/4 square negs; and am now working on 155 11x14 BWs
from 35mm negs. It is like eating potato chips...and quite hard to stop at just a few. It is a pleasure looking at these prints, when everything was brand new at the Village. Most of them were lensed in September 1959. Some have not been
printed since I've owned the negs, (35 years). Unlike the images that end up on the Forum, these are all first generation prints (from the original negs). Its like looking at details of the Village in Hi-Def.
The technology advances in photography are such that details (and faces) are popping up, that could not be seen 55 years ago. I've been using a flatbed scanner to get every square inch of the neg, including the borders and sprocket holes. Only
Mo has seen some of these, and not even John Farkis has gotten a look. Before these BW prints, I did 600 color behind the scenes, including all the color from Spirit of the Alamo. I have yet to wade through the BW images from Spirit, as nobody
has ever asked.
My archives are open for scrutiny at any time, and I will try to answer any questions you might have.
Regards,
AlamoCentral
alamocentral

Postby MUSTANG on Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:52 am

Sound like you need to share some of these with the masses. LOL!
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:59 am

There's Massa Rich, Massa Ned, Massa John.................... :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby alamocentral on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:54 am

Dear Masses (or Massas),
You are all welcome to come peruse them anytime you like.
AlamoCentral
alamocentral

Postby Doc on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:25 am

That is one heck of a treasure trove of Alamo photos, monsewer. Any chance of sharing some low res images as an inducement? I, for one, may like to purchase some prime copies before I'm consigned to the old folks' home. I'm still using Visine every day after reading Farkis' preamble to his upcoming definitive work on The Alamo but am willing to buy more eyewash to see the kind of images that you described. By the way John, you owe me $50.00 for the holiday decanter of Cleareye.
Doc

Postby alamocentral on Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:28 am

Appropos your last question...I can't scan 11x14s at any resolution. Besides, the reason they are so compelling, is the high resolution.
AlamoCentral
alamocentral

Postby alamocentral on Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:40 pm

I make the finest Alamo photos from original Batjac negatives, in the highest resolution possible. It defeats my purpose to make lo-res scans. Check out my 48"x96" color print of
the Reynold Brown painting, and you will see what I'm talking about. How's about a four foot by four foot print of the cast shot in front of the chapel. It is tack sharp, even though
it comes from a 2-1/4 inch square negative. I don't intentionally do anything lo-res.
AlamoCentral
alamocentral

Postby MUSTANG on Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Cleareye. The check is in the mail! :lol: :lol: In all seriousness, I may have mentioned this before, but I'll repeat it again as "I wrote the letter...er. book!" I initially wrote this on Wood 2007 with a 8 1/2" by 11" format and 12 font size. One day my publisher called and said the printer was worried as he could only print 1,200 pages max and I was pushing the limit. This surprised me in that I hadn't written anywhere near that amount of pages. He told me that in order to include all my pages they had to reduce the font size and when they did, it was unreadable. (No smart remarks!) Once they increased the font size, they expanded the number of pages. So, I had to eliminate a ton of stuff that I wanted in both the book and appendices. Sorry about that. But, hey!!! It will all be included and more in "Still Rememberin'..."
MUSTANG

Postby mrbassbone on Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:19 pm

MUSTANG wrote:Re: Cleareye. The check is in the mail! :lol: :lol: In all seriousness, I may have mentioned this before, but I'll repeat it again as "I wrote the letter...er. book!" I initially wrote this on Wood 2007 with a 8 1/2" by 11" format and 12 font size. One day my publisher called and said the printer was worried as he could only print 1,200 pages max and I was pushing the limit. This surprised me in that I hadn't written anywhere near that amount of pages. He told me that in order to include all my pages they had to reduce the font size and when they did, it was unreadable. (No smart remarks!) Once they increased the font size, they expanded the number of pages. So, I had to eliminate a ton of stuff that I wanted in both the book and appendices. Sorry about that. But, hey!!! It will all be included and more in "Still Rememberin'..."

Arrgggghhh!!!! and I still have not read MY copy yet as my boss has it.
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
mrbassbone

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:41 am

alamocentral wrote:Dear Masses (or Massas),
You are all welcome to come peruse them anytime you like.
AlamoCentral

Where can we see them? Do you have a special site or what?
TexianAtHeartII

Postby alamocentral on Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:51 am

My Alamo Collection is located in Cincinnati, Ohio. Please come anytime.
AlamoCentral
alamocentral

Postby mrbassbone on Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:29 am

alamocentral wrote:My Alamo Collection is located in Cincinnati, Ohio. Please come anytime.
AlamoCentral

Dang...and I drove through Cincy last Wednesday.
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
mrbassbone

Postby alamocentral on Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:49 pm

For all of you enthusiasts lining up at the Cincinnati exit, give some thought as to what you want to see. The entire collection will take more than one day! There are more than 15,000 photos. I have assembled the film in narrative order
with photographs. This includes all the scenes that were shot but never used...plus behind the scenes. Just this aspect of my collection takes two days...and lots of energy to go through. John never made it past one day. These photos are
75% BW, and 25% color. As Batjac shot more than 25,000 still photo negs/trannies, I am sorry to have so few to show you!
AlamoCentral
alamocentral

Postby alamocentral on Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:17 am

It is Christmas in July! I brought home 155 Alamo 11x14 BW prints today. Some have never seen the light of day, and the digital scanner I used brought new details to light on all of them,
AlamoCentral
alamocentral

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:18 pm

John Wayne and Aissa Wayne apparently after the grand finale scene, judging from Aissa's smudges.
So, just where was this taken?
Attachments
DukeAissaAlamo.jpg
DukeAissaAlamo.jpg (45.95 KiB) Viewed 4392 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:32 am

Wonder who he's talking to?
Attachments
WayneOnTheHorn.jpg
WayneOnTheHorn.jpg (57.96 KiB) Viewed 3229 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby MUSTANG on Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:21 pm

Ned, Aissa photo. Could have been taken before the final scenes as she had make-up (soot) applied to her face. I think it was taken inside the chapel towards the rear.
MUSTANG

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:03 am

NefariousNed wrote:Wonder who he's talking to?

Maybe he's calling to have those cars removed from in front of the church.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby SantaClaus on Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:50 am

TexianAtHeartII wrote:
NefariousNed wrote:Wonder who he's talking to?

Maybe he's calling to have those cars removed from in front of the church.

Or he's calling the Brackettville School Superintendent to tell him to move that school bus they're all staring at. :lol:
SantaClaus

Postby SantaClaus on Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:54 am

MUSTANG wrote:Ned, Aissa photo. Could have been taken before the final scenes as she had make-up (soot) applied to her face. I think it was taken inside the chapel towards the rear.

If it was taken toward the rear, you wouldn't see their faces. :lol:
SantaClaus

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:29 pm

I'll bet they're sitting on their rears on them boxes where she was with Joan as the Mexicans pulled off the canvas hiding them. Peek-a-boo I see you :roll:
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby AlamoAaron on Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:21 pm

Fred wrote:
Nefarious wrote:Image
Waking up in Flaca's room, the following morning. There's the table where Flaca wrote the
letter, and there's the door where Emil Sand wouldn't give gratuity to the boy. It's right,
it's true, it all happened... in another movie.

I had my suspicions about these two. So...did he sleep with his hat on? Did he even go to sleep at all? This must've been just before he went out to the balcony and slipped back in the window while talking to Flaca. Didn't fool me for a moment! Sly dog.

Looks like to me he trying to dance a dance Frankie taught him... :lol:
AlamoAaron

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:41 am

Sorry, but that's a Life Magazine photo (I think it was Life -- could have also been a movie magazine) that had a caption something like "Director John Wayne showing leading lady Linda Cristal how to stretch for a scene."
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:21 am

Inbetween the scenes. Guy with the bayonet looks like he is having fun. Is that fake blood
on the bayonet, or has some of the paint just worn off?
Attachments
RedInfantry.jpg
RedInfantry.jpg (58.3 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:48 am

Widmark and Harvey. Apparently Bowie has crossed over to be with Travis?
Attachments
WidmarkHarvey.jpg
WidmarkHarvey.jpg (88.04 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:51 am

Right after the "Main Frontal Attack"?
Attachments
Arruza.jpg
Arruza.jpg (97.02 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:01 pm

A great one of the north wall attack as seen from the NW corner!
Attachments
NorthWallAttack.jpg
NorthWallAttack.jpg (71.21 KiB) Viewed 2913 times
NefariousNed

Postby Doc on Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:55 pm

Great photo, indeed. Looks like the lancer on the left is going to skewer the two guys in the funny hats outside the wall. Thanks for posting, Ned.
Doc

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:42 am

Doc wrote:Great photo, indeed. Looks like the lancer on the left is going to skewer the two guys in the funny hats outside the wall. Thanks for posting, Ned.

Also,the five soldados in red just standing there. Like they're trying to decide whether or not to attack the wall.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:00 pm

"Your orders were to go down, Mr. Dennison, not holler down!"

I wonder why most of the Texans in Wayne's Alamo wore no coats, in spite of it being late winter? The one behind Mr. Dennison is dressed like a cowboy from Happy's
ranch crew.
Attachments
MrDennison.jpg
MrDennison.jpg (74.86 KiB) Viewed 2783 times
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:28 pm

Falling back after the "Main Frontal attack". Those casualties look rather casual, indeed.

Was that sand pit strictly for horse falls, or group falls in general?

Does anyone notice that pyrotechnics flash pot right, center of the photo behind one of the "casualties" that is looking back?
Attachments
MainFrontalRetreat.jpg
MainFrontalRetreat.jpg (232.69 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
NefariousNed

Postby SantaClaus on Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:57 pm

NefariousNed wrote:Falling back after the "Main Frontal attack". Those casualties look rather casual, indeed.

Does anyone notice that pyrotechnics flash pot right, center of the photo behind one of the "casualties" that is looking back?

You've got pretty good eyes, Ned. It looks like a small moon crater. I remember one of the many battle scenes, filmed by multiple cameras so that it could be used more than once, had soldiers dressed like those guys fall down as a shell burst among them. I guess those are the guys, and that's where the shell exploded. So, that's how they did it! Cool! :lol:
SantaClaus

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:41 am

"Out of these deerskins and into our fooferaw!" Is that Pinto Mountain in the deep background?!
Attachments
Fooferaw.jpg
Fooferaw.jpg (174.24 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:42 pm

NefariousNed wrote:Is that Pinto Mountain in the deep background?!

Nope. That's Gobbler's Knob, west of our entrance gate. Pinto Mountain is off-scene to the right. The stills photographer can rarely shoot a still from the same position as the camera during a take and is usually taking a different angle of the same action. Pinto Mt. was in the background of the movie angle.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:58 pm

NefariousNed wrote:Falling back after the "Main Frontal attack". Those casualties look rather casual, indeed.

This might also be a non-shooting move "back to 1" after a take that Duke didn't like. If so, then the camera isn't rolling and all the extras were told to relax in their last positions. Very good eye on the explosion pot. I couldn't even see it after you mentioned it -- until I SAW it! It's hard to determine if the sand is just for horse falls, but my guess is that a thick layer of stunt sand was laid all along the outside of the Alamo in that direction for several hundred feet, and what we see is just the back edge of it. This would have made more sense rather than bringing a truckload of sand in, dumping it and smoothing it before every stunt. A good parallel of "how it's done" would be the filming of Rio Diablo on Front St. at the village. The sand was laid several days before shooting began and stretched from beyond our bank all the way to beyond the 2-story hotel where our Trading Post is. Then they shot stunt after stunt -- horse falls, saddle falls and individual people -- including my death scene. When the filming was over and the company was cleaning up after itself as per the contract, the question came up whether to remove the stunt sand. My point to Happy was that leaving it down would help our entertainers who had to perform four gunfights a day on that hard, rocky street. He agreed. What neither of us thought of was that there were 20 or 30 cats living at the village who immediately determined that it was one big field of kitty litter!!!!
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:19 am

"Out of these deerskins!"
Attachments
Fooferaw.jpg
Fooferaw.jpg (174.24 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:29 am

Is this angle of Houston's men arriving in town actually seen in the film?
Attachments
HoustonArrives.jpg
HoustonArrives.jpg (176.99 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
NefariousNed

Postby SantaClaus on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:17 am

NefariousNed wrote:Is this angle of Houston's men arriving in town actually seen in the film?

I don't think so. I'm guessing this is a still photographer's angle. What is that on the cart with the letters RTHM? Does that say "URTHMAMA"?
SantaClaus

PreviousNext

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )