Behind The Scenes Photographs.

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: Behind The Scenes Photographs.

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:34 pm

Okay...I'll go along until proven otherwise.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:08 pm

I should HOPE SO! :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby SantaClaus on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:38 am

I don't know who it is, but there's two things about him that should make it easy for someone to identify him. Find out which member of the crew had one very short leg and one very long leg, and that's your man. Oh, I blew the picture up as big as I could, and although he's out of focus, it looks like he has two black eyes. Must have been in a fight or something. (Yes, I'm kidding.)
I was wondering what scene they were working on. I know that ladder against the wall can be scene behind Bowie at night when he is distraught over the message about the "damn plaque". Wayne and Widmark seem to be in the right costumes for that scene. Or is this a photo taken around the time they're working on Lt. Finn's report about the big cannon? Seeing how there's not a lot of other actors around, I'm leaning toward their preparing for the night scene for Bowie's sombrero message. Anybody got any ideas on that? (No, I'm not kidding.)
SantaClaus

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:02 am

SantaClaus wrote:...
I was wondering what scene they were working on. I know that ladder against the wall can be scene behind Bowie at night when he is distraught over the message about the "damn plaque". Wayne and Widmark seem to be in the right costumes for that scene. Or is this a photo taken around the time they're working on Lt. Finn's report about the big cannon? Seeing how there's not a lot of other actors around, I'm leaning toward their preparing for the night scene for Bowie's sombrero message. Anybody got any ideas on that? (No, I'm not kidding.)

To me, it loos like Bowie and Crockett are discussing going out to blow up that big cannon.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:35 am

Could be anything. That guy in the back is either crew or visitor -- not in costume. Thus the background is not set for shooting (with extras, props, etc.) and, without the background set-up, you can't really figure out what's going on. Costuming on the stars is what it was in many scenes.
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:38 am

Notice how Wayne has his half-stock in the photo? That's the one he actually used during the battle scenes. The long rifle was just for close-ups.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby mrbassbone on Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:33 am

IF this is one of Ashley's images, can't he enlarge the corner of it without losing the quality? THAT should answer the question.,,
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
mrbassbone

Postby SantaClaus on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:46 pm

NefariousNed wrote:Notice how Wayne has his half-stock in the photo? That's the one he actually used during the battle scenes. The long rifle was just for close-ups.

That may be an important clue. They do look like they're discussing blowing up the cannon. You may be right about that. I'll look at that scene again, and see if the ladder if present and which rifle Crockett has when they have that discussion.
SantaClaus

Postby SantaClaus on Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:40 pm

SantaClaus wrote:
NefariousNed wrote:Notice how Wayne has his half-stock in the photo? That's the one he actually used during the battle scenes. The long rifle was just for close-ups.

That may be an important clue. They do look like they're discussing blowing up the cannon. You may be right about that. I'll look at that scene again, and see if the ladder if present and which rifle Crockett has when they have that discussion.

After reviewing the tape, er, the DVD, I think that the still photographer snapped the shot of Crockett and Bowie right about or after when Travis shouts "Finn, you were ordered to report to me, not to hold lecture courses. Get up here!."
The movie is shot from an angle that is centered by the inside of the main gate, with Lt. Finn on the left, the Bee Keeper and 3 Texans behind him framed by the gate arch, with Crockett and Bowie on the right of the screen. Since the still photographer took his shot at an angle with the SW corner and west wall in the background, there would be no need for other actors or extras to be in place there, and whoever is standing with his foot on the SW corner cannon would not be seen in the movie.
Crockett and Bowie are in the proper costumes, Crockett has the same rifle and is holding his purse ( :lol: ) in the same way as in the photo where the strap forms a large hanging loop above his rifle which he is also holding barrel up and butt down.
Bowie in the movie at this moment has his left hand in his pocket with 2 fingers in and 2 fingers out, showing his wedding ring, the same way as in the B & W still photo. Bowie also has his cigar sticking out of his mouth. Everything matches that scene to that picture, just taken at 2 different angles.
In the still photo, you can see a ladder leaning against the right corner of the south gate-wall. It's interesting that in the movie, that ladder is not there at the beginning of the scene, and not yet there even that moment. After the large Mexican cannon blows up the Bee Keeper's keg, the ladder miraculously appears so that Denver Pyle and others can climb down from the south wall. Since scenes are not always shot in sequence, and that ladder area can't be seen in the movie, the ladder's presence in the still photo doesn't negate my determination of when the picture was taken. I'm guessing that the small barrel or keg on the ground near the door in the B & W is not only set dressing, but also a mark where background extras stand in parts of this "Big Cannon" scene.
Later, when Bowie and Crockett are discussing doing something about the cannon, Wayne and Widmark don't have their hands in the same positions as they do in the moment I described and as they have them in the still photo.
I know it's no big deal, but I'm obsessed by John Wayne's "The Alamo". Can't help it. :D
SantaClaus

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:23 pm

He's wearing sunglasses and after blowing it up....I'm leaning back to my original thought. There's a photo of Clothier somewhere on this thread that looks an awful like him. I'm on the hunt...Be back in a week. :roll:
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby SantaClaus on Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:27 pm

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:He's wearing sunglasses and after blowing it up....I'm leaning back to my original thought. There's a photo of Clothier somewhere on this thread that looks an awful like him. I'm on the hunt...Be back in a week. :roll:

If the guy has a red and white striped shirt on under that jacket, then that just might be Waldo behind those sun-glasses. Another possibility is that the guy is the school bus driver and he's there to ask where he's supposed to drive the bus so that it can't be seen in the movie. :lol:
SantaClaus

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:42 pm

After a couple of hours here I give up. I thought I found what I was looking for only to find out several pages and posts later it was discussed in detail as to who the people were. Can we post a picture of Clothier?
Isn't the Director of Cinematography like the caddy to a Director/golfer? He assists in setting the scene and advising....Am I on the right track? Does he not stay close to the Director?
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby Rick on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:58 pm

Considering the man's attire, my guess is that he's John Ford's stunt double.
;)
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick

Postby SantaClaus on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:16 am

Rick wrote:Considering the man's attire, my guess is that he's John Ford's stunt double.
;)

Wished I'd thought of that. You could be right. Then again, it might be Clothier's stunt double.

The truth is that I've searched and searched through picture after picture, and I can't who it is or who it isn't, but there's been talk. :?
SantaClaus

Postby AlamoGill on Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:39 pm

Hi once again

Ashley Ward has been in touch and sent six images he wants me to post
on the forum for him and he has also supplied a legend for each one so I
hope I have done this correctly but the images Ashley sent me are a lot
larger than you see below as Photobucket have downsized them all

Regards

Gill

Firstly here is a message from Ashley

My reasoning for offering up these images for posting is that I won't be in
San Antonio to share them in person this year and these large format
transparencies are all camera originals.

Gill thank you for your help in this matter it is greatly appreciated.

Ashley

This image is a frame enlargement from a strip of IMAX POF film in my collection.
Shot from atop Parson's Hill, it shows the soldados attacking the Eastern side of
the fort.

This 4x5 transparency shows the set after production had ceased. It is approximately
January 1960.The cannons and other props had not yet been sold.

This 4x5 transparency shows the soldados marching on the chapel as the defenders
prepare to fire their cannon. The defender with the raised linstock is Happy Shahan's
brother in law.

This 4x5 transparency shows the final assault upon the chapel. Details of interest
include the TODD-AO camera at the bottom of the frame, and the red stock truck
behind the chapel. This image is often printed in reverse.

This 4x5 transparency shows defenders manning the Low Barracks and Main Gate.
That is Jim Brewer with the canteen and Karl Flenn next to the gunnade.

This 4x5 transparency shows a beautiful close-up of Linda Cristal. She had to wear
a heavy coat of makeup on her chest, to cover the freckles

AlamoGill

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:50 pm

Too bad. I like freckles.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:52 pm

Thanks, Gill, for posting these. And thanks to Ashley for making them available. Sorry he won't be in Bexar this year.
RLC-GTT

Postby cc nolen on Mon May 29, 2017 4:50 pm

The Guy on the right looks as if he saw all the Soldados and pooped in his pants!!! :o ... :lol:
Attachments
actor poop.JPG
actor poop.JPG (85.96 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
cc nolen

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Tue May 30, 2017 1:27 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Too bad. I like freckles.

I like counting freckles. Slowly.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Wed May 31, 2017 6:27 pm

Man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:27 am

From the archives of TRUE WEST magazine
Attachments
TrueWestMagazine.jpg
TrueWestMagazine.jpg (70.96 KiB) Viewed 762 times
NefariousNed

Previous

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )