John Farkis' Book: NOT THINKIN'... JUST REMEMBERIN'...

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: John Farkis' New Book

Postby Rick on Wed May 14, 2014 4:19 am

A few more Farkis chapter titles:

Love and Marriage

"It's About Time!"

A Bull By The Tail

"Hurrah For The Bonnie Blue Flag" (about the filming of The Horse Soldiers)

"Buddy, Can You Spare A Dime?" (How Wayne financed The Alamo)

Some of his early chapters on Wayne's early films contain sections entitled Tales From The Set
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick

Postby alamonorth on Wed May 14, 2014 4:46 pm

As a further teaser and a good way to pass some time waiting for John's book to come out, I recommend that people check out Scott Eyman's new 600 page biography John Wayne: the Life and Legend. The book has over 30 pages on the making of The Alamo, as well as information on the proposed Republic version from the 1940's. Of particular interest are some of the particulars from Pat Ford's first draft. For example "( It also gives a subsidiary character the spectacular death Crockett has in the final version.)" and "creates a fair amount of the characters and dramatic incidents that would eventually populate Wayne's movie". Since John is our current in house authority I will leave it up to him to critique and comment on Scott Eyman's research, information and interpretations.
alamonorth

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed May 14, 2014 5:38 pm

And I'll critique John's. :lol: (Wait! I've been doing that for ten years!)
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Wed May 14, 2014 9:46 pm

I've been in contact with Scott and hope to see him in two weeks or so. I've even sent him a chapter or two to review. interestingly, he and I have both explored the same avenues of research, have had access to the same documents but have come up with different conclusions. LOL!!!
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed May 14, 2014 10:00 pm

Yep! That's history! History repeats itself in representing History -- "something agreed to by two liars." Thank goodness you two don't agree, therefore neither of you is a liar. :?
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Wed May 14, 2014 11:02 pm

Well, I wouldn't go that far. LOL!!!

I'd also like to thank Rick for posting many of my chapter titles. Some may look at them and wonder if this is really a book about "The Alamo," or a biography of Wayne. Yes, it is. The Introduction addresses the first "official" day of filming on location. The next several chapters then develop the backstory, if you will. While JW had always said that the production of his film was the culmination of a 15-year quest, his development as an actor, as well as a man, started well before then. We all know that "The Alamo" was a message movie; I felt it was necessary to help the reader understand why this was so important to Duke. So, I discuss at some length Wayne's political beliefs and their creation as well as his involvement in World War II, or lack thereof. I also address false starts, financing, military coup's, and location evaluations, just to name a few topics. As the careers of Wayne and John Ford are incestuously woven, I take some time to discuss their relationship. By the time I get to 1957, the rest of the book is all "Alamo", all the time. In Scott's extremely well-written, well-documented book, he devotes 40+ pages to the film; my count is over 700+. Hard to believe that so much could be written about a single film. If the reader wants to know exactly what happened each and every day during filming, absent daily production reports, this is the book for you. I've had the unique pleasure to interview literally hundreds of people associated with this film, both in-front of and behind the camera. In many cases, this is the first time they have ever gone on record. Internal Batjac documents, oral histories, script treatments and the like all add to the quality of my work. I should add that the reader may take exception to some of my conclusions, but, that's OK. That is their prerogative. I can only present the evidence, draw my conclusions and await the replies. LOL! I only hope that those who buy my book have as much fun reading it as I did writing it.
MUSTANG

Postby Rick on Thu May 15, 2014 12:50 am

More chapter titles:

Our Players (detailed bios of the stars and supporting actors)

Gags, Nags and Rags (the stunt profession, Wayne's stuntmen, their horses, and the film's weapons and costumes)

Room & Board Included

Preparations

Thursday, Sept. 10, 1959

Clash of the Titans (Big Duke vs. Little Richard)

Here We Go Again

Bear in mind that each chapter focuses mainly on the topics described. John adds additional details throughout. And yes, some of his chapter titles are somewhat in code; you'll understand when you read the book.
Rick

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu May 15, 2014 4:28 am

MUSTANG wrote:Well, I wouldn't go that far. LOL!!!

I'd also like to thank Rick for posting many of my chapter titles. Some may look at them and wonder if this is really a book about "The Alamo," or a biography of Wayne. Yes, it is. The Introduction addresses the first "official" day of filming on location. The next several chapters then develop the backstory, if you will. While JW had always said that the production of his film was the culmination of a 15-year quest, his development as an actor, as well as a man, started well before then. We all know that "The Alamo" was a message movie; I felt it was necessary to help the reader understand why this was so important to Duke. So, I discuss at some length Wayne's political beliefs and their creation as well as his involvement in World War II, or lack thereof. I also address false starts, financing, military coup's, and location evaluations, just to name a few topics. As the careers of Wayne and John Ford are incestuously woven, I take some time to discuss their relationship. By the time I get to 1957, the rest of the book is all "Alamo", all the time. In Scott's extremely well-written, well-documented book, he devotes 40+ pages to the film; my count is over 700+. Hard to believe that so much could be written about a single film. If the reader wants to know exactly what happened each and every day during filming, absent daily production reports, this is the book for you. I've had the unique pleasure to interview literally hundreds of people associated with this film, both in-front of and behind the camera. In many cases, this is the first time they have ever gone on record. Internal Batjac documents, oral histories, script treatments and the like all add to the quality of my work. I should add that the reader may take exception to some of my conclusions, but, that's OK. That is their prerogative. I can only present the evidence, draw my conclusions and await the replies. LOL! I only hope that those who buy my book have as much fun reading it as I did writing it.

Phyew! I'm glad John's FINALLY at the promotion stage and done with the writing!!! :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Thu May 15, 2014 7:31 pm

Will the book finally explain that burning question that has been plaguing fans of THE ALAMO for years, namely:
Why does Emil Sand tell the gratuity boy " Soya Hockey Pockey!" when instructing him to take Flaca's luggage back
to her room?

In Spanish. "Hacia arriba" loosely means "to the top", which would've made more sense. "Soya" means just what it
sounds like, "Soy bean". "Hacia Paca" might mean "take the package", but that's a stretch. Was Wesley Lau instructed
to speak gibberish Spanish? Who did the English to Spanish translations for Jame Edward Grant? Was Grant himself
bilingual?
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu May 15, 2014 8:56 pm

Hahahaha! NO!!!!!

Emil says, "Traje el equipaje!" That means "Take the baggage!" Although, he sure doesn't "throw around a mess of that proud Spanish." Pretty rotten pronunciation for a professional actor. :roll:

However, my favorite "other language" line was in the '50's TV series Ramar of the Jungle. After the injury of one of the characters, Ramar's sidekick, Charlie, turns to the natives with them and says something like, "Coo-jah-happa! Peta-peta!" which I (still under 7 years old) translated as "Fix a litter! And hurry!" -- to my family's amusement. Then, in later episodes, it dawned on me that Charlie gave the same order to those poor savages for everything that needed to be done!
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Fri May 16, 2014 3:13 am

Actually, I have Wesley Lau's original script and he wrote his lines in the margin - phonetically.
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri May 16, 2014 3:47 am

MUSTANG wrote:Actually, I have Wesley Lau's original script and he wrote his lines in the margin - phonetically.

Well................. Writing them and being able to say them are two different things. I was taking Spanish and still heard his reading of the line as "Traje el acci-pacci" rather than "eh-kee-pah-hay." He just couldn't wrap his tongue around the strange dialect.
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Fri May 16, 2014 4:10 am

Estoy de acuerdo.
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri May 16, 2014 4:26 am

MUSTANG wrote:Estoy de acuerdo.

Watch that mouth!
RLC-GTT

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Fri May 16, 2014 4:33 am

Rick wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:
Fargo Fenwyck wrote:This response comes from a guy who should have had a book out a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago. :roll: :mrgreen:

But Fargo, I am a man of few words.

I've heard that. Never believed it, though. Just a vicious rumor, probably.

One of those stories loose mouth people tell.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Fri May 16, 2014 4:06 pm

Concerning Rich's post on Ramar. Does the word "UMGAWA" come to mind. It's still used today and means everything like it did back in the 30's.
Hey John does your book have a chapter on the deterioration of the film and what the Wayne family thinks of it.?
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby Rick on Fri May 16, 2014 4:10 pm

Last batch of chapter titles:

Murder in Spofford

"Not That Close!" (this one's hilarious and discusses the wading scene)

The Old Man And The Scene

On The Road Again (the various premieres)

Hooray For Hollywood! (the Oscar campaign)

"The Nominee For Best Picture . . ." (Academy Awards night)

There are other chapters John's not put titles to yet. One is on the kids and other extras who appeared in the film. Another goes into considerable detail on Bob Bryden's discovery of the 70mm roadshow print in Toronto and the subsequent preservation effort that, sadly, never happened.
Rick

Postby Doc on Fri May 16, 2014 5:49 pm

Sounds great. Has the format of the book been finalized? I was hoping for a hard copy rather than an ebook.
Doc

Postby MUSTANG on Fri May 16, 2014 9:06 pm

Not finalized yet but the publishing house I'm working with will publish both hard copies and e-books...if they accept my book.
MUSTANG

Postby gh1836 on Sat May 17, 2014 11:40 pm

I heard tell that John was going to finally reaveal what happened to the broken cross. :) Hey Ned don't move this it belongs here! :lol:
Gary Heck
gh1836

Postby Rick on Sun May 18, 2014 3:50 am

Given John's tenacity on this project, he probably tracked down the original broken cross and then interviewed it. ;)
Rick

Postby Seguin on Sun May 18, 2014 4:32 am

... after he repaired it! :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby findem_killem on Mon May 19, 2014 1:30 am

WHAT???? You mean to tell me John has had the cross all along and didn't tell anyone? Here I have been searching all over AV and he has had it. John, put it back on top of the Temple.
findem_killem

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 19, 2014 3:00 am

Oh my! Give me strength! :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Mon May 19, 2014 3:50 am

Actually, I did speak to the cross but it was a tough interview as he was so dense. And he pined for his proper place on top of the Alamo. Man, that's bad.
MUSTANG

Postby Doc on Mon May 19, 2014 4:09 am

Pined? Seriously? Sounds like a knotty problem.
Doc

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Mon May 19, 2014 6:13 pm

I was really looking forward to the book but if the contents are anything like the post I have just read....I ain't to sure. :roll:
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby gh1836 on Mon May 19, 2014 10:49 pm

findem_killem wrote:WHAT???? You mean to tell me John has had the cross all along and didn't tell anyone? Here I have been searching all over AV and he has had it. John, put it back on top of the Temple.

Well that's not entirely true. You see him and Rich are in cahoots. They got it hid up in the Bell tower in town...That's why they got the stairway locked up. So none of us can get up there to find them out! ;)
Gary Heck
gh1836

Postby findem_killem on Mon May 19, 2014 11:19 pm

Rich, I told you not to let anyone know where the cross was hidden. Now you will have to move it again.
findem_killem

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 19, 2014 11:42 pm

gh1836 wrote:
findem_killem wrote:WHAT???? You mean to tell me John has had the cross all along and didn't tell anyone? Here I have been searching all over AV and he has had it. John, put it back on top of the Temple.

Well that's not entirely true. You see him and Rich are in cahoots. They got it hid up in the Bell tower in town...That's why they got the stairway locked up. So none of us can get up there to find them out! ;)

What? The cross or the book? Be specific!
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 19, 2014 11:43 pm

findem_killem wrote:Rich, I told you not to let anyone know where the cross was hidden. Now you will have to move it again.

But you can't get in the bell tow.................... OOOOPS!
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 19, 2014 11:44 pm

MUSTANG wrote:Actually, I did speak to the cross but it was a tough interview as he was so dense. And he pined for his proper place on top of the Alamo. Man, that's bad.

Well, I was gonna say what Fargo said, but he beat me to it!
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 19, 2014 11:45 pm

Actually, John, I must admit..... You nailed it!
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 19, 2014 11:47 pm

Oh, where are Dane and Zaboly when you need 'em. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby gh1836 on Tue May 20, 2014 3:13 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:What? The cross or the book? Be specific!

The Cross! :P
Gary Heck
gh1836

Postby gh1836 on Tue May 20, 2014 3:39 pm

And hey Rich. Don't play coy with us! You know what's hidden up there. :lol:
Gary Heck
gh1836

Postby NefariousNed on Wed May 21, 2014 2:15 am

Funny interview with the Waynamo Cross, Rick. Thanks. :lol:
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed May 21, 2014 2:47 am

NefariousNed wrote:Funny interview with the Waynamo Cross, Rick. Thanks. :lol:

Hey, I've witnessed Farkis talking to wood!
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Wed May 21, 2014 3:03 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Actually, John, I must admit..... You nailed it!

Ewwwwwwww! Nailed it---to the cross! :|
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Wed May 21, 2014 3:09 am

NefariousNed wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:Actually, John, I must admit..... You nailed it!

Ewwwwwwww! Nailed it---to the cross! :|

Right, just like Jesus. :o
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

PreviousNext

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )