The Actors.

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: The Actors.

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:12 pm

Rick wrote:This is from John Farkis, in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way. As you can see, Smitty is branching out:

He must need the cash.
RLC-GTT

Postby SantaClaus on Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:14 am

Rick wrote:This is from John Farkis, in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way. As you can see, Smitty is branching out:

He knows rats :D
SantaClaus

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:57 am

Congratulations to Teresa Champion!
Attachments
TeresaChampion2.jpg
TeresaChampion2.jpg (82.64 KiB) Viewed 6320 times
TeresaChampion1.jpg
TeresaChampion1.jpg (50.21 KiB) Viewed 6332 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby MUSTANG on Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:44 pm

Now, how cool is that!!!!!
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:06 am

Totally appropriate!
RLC-GTT

Postby SantaClaus on Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:24 am

That's great. I'm very pleased that she was recognized that
way. I once danced on a table, and all I got was the pleasure
of being kicked out of a bar and a warning to never come back.
Richard McC
SantaClaus

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:28 am

I understand. I mean, I understand why they did that. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:30 am

Terese was at Alamo Village for our 50th. anniversary of the movie and she and other members of the
family/troupe danced on a platform we had set up for them in the Alamo. Willy, of course, played
guitar. Wonderful!
RLC-GTT

Postby alamobill on Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:34 pm

What a wonderful lady. Here is a picture of Davy and I with Teresa at the 45th anniversary at Alamo
Village in 2005. She is signing a screen capture of her table dance that I had asked her to autograph
for me. I also had screen captures autographed that day from Rudy Robbins, Dean Smith and Jim
Brewer.

alamobill

Postby MUSTANG on Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:47 am

I can remember dancing on a table top at a New Years eve party. Actually, I don't remember but Jean tells me that I did. I have no independent recollection of that incident. LOL! But, I am a very good dancer and if tequila was involved.....just saying.
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:09 am

Do tell!
RLC-GTT

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:13 pm

I guess we'll have to buy him a drink or two or ten at HHD's. I'd pay to see a dance on a table. Could be better than Joan's party or at Joan's party :roll:
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby MUSTANG on Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:50 am

Don't encourage me. LOL!
MUSTANG

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:07 am

Uhh, I don't know about that. I just don't think John would look that good in the same kind of dress Theresa wore.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby wconly on Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:28 am

TexianAtHeartII wrote:Uhh, I don't know about that. I just don't think John would look that good in the same kind of dress Theresa wore.

Amen! W>
wconly

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:56 pm

A dress? You two need some of Beekeeper's Toxin.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby AlamoAaron on Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:25 pm

NefariousNed wrote:Image
Al Hirschfield's caricature of the Waynamo Trinity.

Love it. ;)
AlamoAaron

Postby ConnieFromHaiti on Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:01 pm

There is another Hirschfeld drawing that Ned and I posted a few years ago that is for the November 14, 1960 TV show tie-in The Spirit of the Alamo. It is somewhere in this thread I think. ( P.S. - This is Richard writing from Connie's computer in Pennsylvania.)
ConnieFromHaiti

Postby SantaClaus on Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:53 am

ConnieFromHaiti wrote:There is another Hirschfeld drawing that Ned and I posted a few years ago that is for the November 14, 1960 TV show tie-in The Spirit of the Alamo. It is somewhere in this thread I think. ( P.S. - This is Richard writing from Connie's computer in Pennsylvania.)

There sure are a lot of Richards around here. :D
Richard McClory (writing from my computer in Austin) :)
SantaClaus

Postby AlamoAaron on Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:50 am

NefariousNed wrote:Image
"Parson" Hank Worden, watching a 35mm widescreen print of THE ALAMO at Joe Musso's place,
1986. Seated next to Hank are Danny and Little Charlie Morfin, with Dan Gagliasso and Phil Martin
directly behind them. (Photo courtesy of Craig Covner)

Aside from us watching the film with Hank and listening with rapt attention to his remembrances
of the days of filming, Craig Covner had brought along a tape recorder and sort of 'relived' Hank's
death scene via a Waynamo script. Hank read his lines about how he wanted to thank Davy "from
the bottom of his heart", while Craig read the Wayne lines. Of course now we have the missing
death scene thanks to the Director's cut, but at the time, it was an Alamo first.

Another highlight of the above occasion was when Joe Musso called up Bill Chemerka and then put
Hank on the line to speak with him. Only Bill will be able to tell us all just how he felt at that moment,
though...

SAYS BILL:

I can assure all that after receiving that wonderful phone call from Hank, I was taken back and then
some. It was truly memorable and Hank was so kind with his words. My fellow Alamo Society members
from California (especially host Joe Musso) were very considerate; in fact, they even took a photo of
Hank on the phone with me and mailed me the image, which I still have.

The real killer in the "Making of John Wayne's Alamo" is that Hank Warden was still alive!!! :o :)
AlamoAaron

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:45 pm

From the Teresa Champion Dance Studio Facebook page:
Attachments
TeresaChampionAward.jpg
TeresaChampionAward.jpg (89 KiB) Viewed 5118 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:06 am

Bravo, Teresa!!!! :D
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:26 pm

Congrats and well deserved!!!
MUSTANG

Postby AlamoAaron on Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:02 am

This was the second Alamo movie I watched. At first I was blown away (and not just by the Alamo chapel), but as I studied up on it, I became annoyed on the endless inaccuracies. Now, don't get me wrong, Wayne's Alamo is a good piece of cinema: it would almost be better if it was a non Alamo movie. A huge weakness to the film is the Cold War themes and references throughout the three hour movie. It took away from the historical side.

Honestly, I wasn't impressed with any of the three leading actors; John Wayne is John Wayne, not John Crockett or David Wayne.

Richard Widmark was sour and constantly ill-tempered. Now, it would be different if in the story Ursula and the kids died and he was that way, but since she wasn't (again in the movie), his personality was boorish.

Laurence Harvey; Travis was not a staunch Brit and his snobbish personality really degrades his character and the film.

Now, these are just my opinions. I mean no disrespect to John Wayne, the Alamo or this website. :)
(but heck, Wayne' Alamo is better than Texas Rising!"
AlamoAaron

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:43 am

I don't really disagree with you in what you said. The poorly veiled political pitch and the anti-Commie subtheme annoyed me as soon as I got old enough to understand what they were. The Widmark casting jumped out to me before I even saw the movie, amazingly enough. I first had a copy of the Steve Frazee tie-in paper back book that had pictures of the movie Trinity on the cover, and my first reaction was "Bowie looks like a typical TV cowboy!" At that time, of course, my only comparisons were Kenneth Tobey's excellent (if bed-ridden) Bowie and Sterling Hayden's costuming (which I then took to be accurate Bowie clothes). Laurence Harvey (and the director and writer) can be excused for the priggish portrayal of Travis. Guys, at that time in Alamo history, we were still believing the Amelia Williams doctoral thesis from 1929, and she, for reasons known only to her late self, drummed up that image of Travis. Wayne and Grant were simply copying the belief of the day. It took Walter Lord a year later and Archie McDonald 17 years later to begin to present the real Travis.

If John Ford had done the movie, he would have renamed everyone and everything. Just like his "Col. Owen Thursday" is really Custer and Custer's Last Stand becomes "Thursday's Last Stand" in Fort Apache. In My Darling Clementine, on the other hand, he did call his main characters by their historic names and the O.K. Corral was also called that. For this, he drew fire later on from historians who had learned every move of the O.K. Corral fight and accused him of out-and-out lying. His rebuttal, of course typically Fordian, was "Wyatt Earp himself told me." (Since we know that he did indeed know Earp, it was a lie that fit.)

James Edward Grant was responsible for so much that was wrong with the movie historically that there is no reason to go into it all again (see other threads). He literally (and deliberately, I think) reversed things when people said, "Here's what happened." As Lon Tinkle told me, "I have never met a man who had so much contempt for what people would accept as reality." So suddenly Mrs. Dickinson is Travis' cousin, Travis says, "I too am married," and Bowie learns of Ursula's death via a Mexican Frizbee that takes three years to deliver the first "air mail."

All that said, what has glued me to the film for 55 years (can't speak for others) is the art involved (other than the screenwriting). Wayne was certainly not a great director when it came to creating a "Film" (capital "F"), but he was indeed a good director in his ability to assemble and direct a superb team of the best artists in Hollywood: Alfred Ybarra, William H. Clothier, Dimitri Tiomkin and Stuart Gilmore. Wayne knew what he wanted from them and was able to sculpt their individual workmanship into a whole that does indeed have staying power that most of its contemporaries did not. In that way, John Wayne's The Alamo is a work of art.
RLC-GTT

Postby SantaClaus on Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:02 am

AlamoAaron wrote:This was the second Alamo movie I watched. At first I was blown away (and not just by the Alamo chapel), but as I studied up on it, I became annoyed on the endless inaccuracies. Now, don't get me wrong, Wayne's Alamo is a good piece of cinema: it would almost be better if it was a non Alamo movie. A huge weakness to the film is the Cold War themes and references throughout the three hour movie. It took away from the historical side.

Honestly, I wasn't impressed with any of the three leading actors; John Wayne is John Wayne, not John Crockett or David Wayne.

Richard Widmark was sour and constantly ill-tempered. Now, it would be different if in the story Ursula and the kids died and he was that way, but since she wasn't (again in the movie), his personality was boorish.

Laurence Harvey; Travis was not a staunch Brit and his snobbish personality really degrades his character and the film.

Now, these are just my opinions. I mean no disrespect to John Wayne, the Alamo or this website. :)
(but heck, Wayne' Alamo is better than Texas Rising!"

I understand your feelings about the three leads, as well as the annoyance at the historical inaccuracies. At times over the years, Ive had many of the same feelings. I am no longer bothered by its history, as I can see some were due to compress the story timeline. Other inaccuracies no longer bother me because I understand its just a movie, and its a movie that I love. To me, Freedom and Liberty and the choice to submit or resist tyranny are not Cold War themes, but themes that are for all people at all times. To me, those themes are the real plot of the movie as well as the reason for the real battle of the Alamo.
Over time, my admiration as grown for the performances of the actors. I see Crockett, Travis and Bowie. I just had to say all this, not to argue, but to say what I felt.
Richard McC
SantaClaus

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:23 am

I don't know if AlamoAaron meant it the way I meant it, but what I meant was the specific, uncloaked little comments in the dialogue that brought about a Cold War subtext, not the main theme of Freedom and Liberty, which I agree with completely. I meant lines like, "Figure this. Fella gets in the habit of gorin' oxes, he may come up north and gore yours next." That to me is, "get the Commies before they get us." If you want to preach politics, run for office. Don't make a movie. However, that said, there were a hundred wonderfully creative and artful things for every one of those faux pas in the movie. And it is truly a movie that can be rightfully loved regardless of its indiscretions.
RLC-GTT

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:59 am

Interesting to read these comments.

One of the things that has constantly drawn me to the film is its three main characters and the way they interact with one another, regardless of historical accuracy. The film is filled with these little character moments [Wayne probably took notes from Pappy himself here] that gives it weight and makes the final battle climax that much more powerful. When I first saw the film, I couldn't help but wonder if this really was a movie about the Alamo or rather a film about John Wayne himself, almost like an autobiography. The film showcases his beliefs and can even be seen as a "greatest hits" of some of his films as some of the scenes are reminiscent of scenes and themes from "Rio Bravo", "Red River" and "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance". I don't mind reading it as "The Alamo" or "John Wayne: The Movie", it's still my favourite epic and one of my favourite films.
Last edited by DukeCrockett93 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
DukeCrockett93

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:04 am

Yep. I agree -- even if it seems in conflict with what I said above.
RLC-GTT

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:10 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Yep. I agree -- even if it seems in conflict with what I said above.

I see where you're coming from as well with the preaching and the Cold War subtext, I'm also not a big fan of films going out of their way to try and run for office.
DukeCrockett93

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:01 am

The point being missed here is that most of us were young, impressionable kids and THE ALAMO just blew our socks off and left an indelible impression, one that continues to this day. That is part of the power of Film. We wouldn't be here discussing Alamo had it not been for John Wayne. True, Disney's "Davy Crockett At The Alamo" may've whet a few whistles, but it was nothing compared to the falling-down drunk experience that would follow some five years later.

The set, the soundtrack, the cinematography, the overwhelming scope of seeing it on the BIG screen. For those of you who have only had the opportunity of seeing it on TV, I feel sorry for you. As Frank Thompson once noted, seeing THE ALAMO on TV is like seeing a postcard of the Grand Canyon instead of the real thing. Impossible for the overall grandeur to shine through.
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:27 am

Like button -- big time! ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:40 am

NefariousNed wrote:The point being missed here is that most of us were young, impressionable kids and THE ALAMO just blew our socks off and left an indelible impression, one that continues to this day. That is part of the power of Film. We wouldn't be here discussing Alamo had it not been for John Wayne. True, Disney's "Davy Crockett At The Alamo" may've whet a few whistles, but it was nothing compared to the falling-down drunk experience that would follow some five years later.

The set, the soundtrack, the cinematography, the overwhelming scope of seeing it on the BIG screen. For those of you who have only had the opportunity of seeing it on TV, I feel sorry for you. As Frank Thompson once noted, seeing THE ALAMO on TV is like seeing a postcard of the Grand Canyon instead of the real thing. Impossible for the overall grandeur to shine through.

Now, that ain't a bad stab at putting it into words!
DukeCrockett93

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:10 am

It certainly blew my socks off. As Ned said, Davy Crockett At The Alamo, gave us a taste. Then not long after, I saw The Last Command at the theater and it left me wanting more. Then, around 1959, in Parade Magazine with the Sunday paper, there was a small article with pictures of Waynes Alamo, and it literally blew my mind. A movie, all about the Alamo, and John Wayne is in it. I could hardly wait. Then it was released and I remember seeing the ad for it in our Detroit papers. The large A with a picture of the church inside of it and it was playing in downtown Detroit. But I would have to wait. Soon it was at the drive-in theaters, but I didn't want to see it there. It had to be inside where the screen was more intimate and closer to see. Somewhere in that time frame, I saw the tv special and got to see some of the battle scenes and the set. Again, blown away by what I was seeing. An actual Alamo they were filming at. Finally, on a Sunday afternoon, I got to see it in color at my local theater in all it's glory and I was totally hooked on the Alamo forever. But it took about 40 yrs before I would ever see both the real and cinematic Alamo and it was worth it. That makes my life complete.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:53 am

My favourite genre has always been action and in my opinion, out of all the epics that were coming out around then, I found the action/battle scenes in "The Alamo" the most hard-hitting and intense. I guess if I were around then and watching the film for the very first time, I probably wouldn't have seen action quite like it before. I really admire the effort, detail and craftsmanship that went into all of it. Wayne definitely brought his A-game here. Even the negative reviews that came out after the film's release praised the action sequences, which still hold up even today, especially when you look at all the action/battle sequences that came after. There's nothing quite like building real sets, having real extras, real stunts and real explosions going off all over the place.
DukeCrockett93

Postby The Colonel on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:24 pm

Aissa Wayne turns 60 today, March 31, 2016.

aissa.jpg
aissa.jpg (5.94 KiB) Viewed 4737 times

Happy Birthday
Do not be uneasy about me. I am among friends.
The Colonel

Location: Between Possum Kingdom & Hickory Tavern, South Carolina

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:35 pm

It's her birthday today, and she has cake for EVERYBODY!
RLC-GTT

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:36 pm

So, who's going to sing "Tennessee Babe"?
DukeCrockett93

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:54 pm

The Teresa Champion Dance Academy Fiesta, 2016 medal.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:55 pm

Teresa Champion Dance Academy Fiesta medal.
NefariousNed

PreviousNext

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )