Lobby Cards

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: Lobby Cards.

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:50 am

"You shook my hand!" "Well, I'll do 'er agin!"
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:12 am

Where would this sort of promotional art have been used? Mo, Mustang, Rich, or anyone?
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby AlamoMo on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:58 pm

Where would this sort of promotional art have been used? Mo, Mustang, Rich, or anyone?

Ned

I believe these are some sort of special limited edition print

I saw one on on E Bay USA recently but can't remember
what the description stated !!!!

Regards

Mo
Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:41 am

"I'm gonna tell you something, Flaca and I want you to listen tight..."
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:21 am

"I'm gonna tell you something, Flaca and I want you to listen tight..."

"...I´m not interested in young beautiful girls. I prefer sleeping with my horse, and the only gal I want is ole Betsy!" :mrgreen:
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

LOBBY CARDS

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:00 am

If you want to download low-res. copies of both sets of Alamo lobby cards, here's a link to a page buried in the Tiomkin
site that has two sets of eight each. Something I never realized is that one set is all from color photos whereas the other
is all tinted black and white publicity stills.

http://dimitritiomkin.com/search_result ... filter=all
RLC-GTT

Postby Seguin on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:36 am

Very cool! Thanks, Rich!
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby HunterMike on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:48 am

Nefarious wrote:Image

This was my favorite scene in the entire movie. I still get fired up when that Mexican soldier jumps over the barricade. I know they all jump it, but the one that seems to get a little higher than the rest. I know you know what I'm talking about! Awesome shot. I'll bet I hit the rewind 100 times on that scene through the years.
Greatness courts failure
HunterMike

Postby caplock on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:42 am

HunterMike wrote:

This was my favorite scene in the entire movie. I still get fired up when that Mexican soldier jumps over the barricade. I know they all jump it, but the one that seems to get a little higher than the rest. I know you know what I'm talking about! Awesome shot. I'll bet I hit the rewind 100 times on that scene through the years.

I like this shot quite a bit myself, although the angle used in the film seems to have been shot from a lower vantage point. The lower half of the screen seems to be filled with "shoulders and shakos," with the church facade looming above. You never see how clear the area in front of the church is of Texan bodies (to say nothing of the dragoons who were shot jumping over the palisade). It's a great shot, because, once again, we see the overwhelming size of the attacking force.
caplock

Postby Seguin on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:53 pm

Yes, it´s a great pic, but the amount of soldiers outside the church seems a bit like overkill since there´s no defenders left shooting from the church at the Mexicans. Still, cinematic wise it´s a great pic.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:37 am

Yes, this still definitely sings. It (or a similar shot) was the cover of Scholastic Magazine in 1961, and I just loved looking at it. It's what made me paint all my Marx Mexicans and Zorro soldiers. Only trouble was (because it had to balance the front page design), it was printed backwards. Really annoyed me.

Many years later, when I baught a huge Alamo press kit from a guy in Hollywood, it had 4x5 inch color transparency of the scene and I promptly took it in to get an 11x14 color print made from it. When it came back from the lab (you guessed it), they had printed it backwards. I took it back and the lady fought with me, saying they printed it based on which side of the transparency the emulsion was on, and that it was correct. I said, "I LIVED IN THE SET! IT IS NOT CORRECT!" She grudgingly printed it "backwards" and it was correct. Only trouble was, the color balance was all mustard colored which took away all the wonderful color pleasure of the scene. I took it in again, and she printed it again with careful color instructions. Perfect job! But it was backward again! :evil: I gave up and paid her. So, for three 11x14 prints of my favorite still, I have two backwards with O.K. color and one O.K. with baby poop color.

The best print I ever got of it hangs in the Imax Theater lobby or gift shop somewhere (or perhaps in the restroom by now), but by the time we made that one (Lashawn and I -- remember Kevin?), the best color was lost in the transparency. Alas and alack.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:04 am

RLC-GTT wrote:The best print I ever got of it hangs in the Imax Theater lobby or gift shop somewhere (or perhaps in the restroom by now)...

Soap box time.

THE CASE STUDY OF A LOST PROMOTION

Between Happy Shahan and Kevin (Quincy Morris) and whoever else, a great situation was established with the Imax Theater powers-that-be to give Alamo Village a wonderful plug. I'm not sure how much of this was in the plan (or agreement), but here's how it used to be.

Before the movie began, Kevin (usually) would come out and introduce it, telling folks where it was made in the process. Then he would say, "Would everybody remain in their seats at the end until the lights come up."

After the last scene, the room would stay dark as the end credits roled over the background image of the Alamo while Sergio Salinas (Happy's country star) sang the title song in the soundtrack. Then the background scene faded to black (with the room still dark) as the final single credit appeared: FILMED AT HAPPY SHAHAN'S ALAMO VILLAGE, BRACKETTVILLE, TEXAS. Then the lights came up. (Talk about a captive audience.)

Then, as the audience left the theater, and walked out into the lobby, the first thing that met their eyes was a series of six 3ft. x 4ft. (I think) frames with a consecutive photo story of Alamo movies, the Imax film and the location with Happy and Virginia featured. These frames were lovingly created by Lashawn Wardlaw and yours truly. And finally, a wooden brochure rack (hand carved by Alamo Village's own Jerry Clardy) provided folks with Alamo Village brochures.

Then Kevin left.

A souvenir counter replaced the series of photos. The brochures were gone. Our rack was in another section of the lobby with something else in it. The photo frames were moved to the opposite side of the exit hall -- the side people coming out of the theater never looked at -- and hung in reverse order, with no concern for the consecutive story link between them.

The next time I saw the film. Sergio's song was mixed out (or turned down), the house lights came up as soon as the movie ended and the credits started. By the time our credit came on, there was nobody left in the theater. AND the photo frames were split up -- some were in different parts of the lobby; some down in the new gift shop. And I doubt if the dippy introducing the film now tells the audience anything more than to turn their cell phones off. I could be wrong.

So: THANK GOD FOR KEVIN YOUNG while he lasted. :lol:

I also want to point out that Kevin was responsible for the fine balance of Alamo history books then sold in the gift shop.

O.K. I'm through. Sorry.
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:14 am

Well, to add fuel to the fire, my book on Alamo Village used to be sold there also, but for some reason, after they sold out the first order, they never re-ordered. Of course, that may have something to do with the quality of the book but you never know/ :)LOL The least they could do is to plug the Village!
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:27 am

Typical. If it sells, drop it.

Same in the Brackettville grocery store. If I get it regularly, they stop handling it! :roll:

And I'm not bashing Imax personnel. It is most likely just lack of continuity from one regime to the next.

Lashawn Wardlaw was the inventor of a label and an organization to promote jointly promote Brackettville, Del Rio, Uvalde, Eagle Pass and Carrizo Springs for tourism. She dubbed the area "The Southwest Texas Badlands" so that we would have an identity like The Highland Lakes, The Hill Country, West Texas, and The Costal Plains.

Virginia Shahan and I, several years before she died, attended a meeting of The Southwest Texas Badlands promotion organization. I decided to pick members' brains about its origin. Not one person I asked a clue of Lashawn's part in creating it.

Oh, well.... Sorry to have diverged. Back to these wonderful lobby cards.
RLC-GTT

Postby Seguin on Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:02 am

I gave up and paid her. So, for three 11x14 prints of my favorite still, I have two backwards with O.K. color and one O.K. with baby poop color.

That´s great material for a short story, or for a Stand-Up comedy guy. :D

Interesting story. They had a good thing going and then they screwed it up - typical!

Same in the Brackettville grocery store. If I get it regularly, they stop handling it! :roll:

Same thing at my local supermarket. I´ve bought the same coffee brand for years and now all of a sudden they´ve stopped handling it. :x
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Davy on Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:11 am

That's the way it works these days ... no dependabiltty ... here today ... but gone tomorrow ... happens with too much regularity anymore. The only constant is change these days! :cry: Better get used to it! :?

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:15 am

Seguin wrote:
I gave up and paid her. So, for three 11x14 prints of my favorite still, I have two backwards with O.K. color and one O.K. with baby poop color.

That´s great material for a short story, or for a Stand-Up comedy guy. :D

Interesting story. They had a good thing going and then they screwed it up - typical!

Same thing at my local supermarket. I´ve bought the same coffee brand for years and now all of a sudden they´ve stopped handling it. :x

Yes, this is ALL going in my book. No, I haven't written it yet. :roll:
RLC-GTT

Lobby Cards.

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:00 am

While I have seen some colour transparencies, it's unusual to me to be seeing a black and white one. What were transparencies
used for, anyway?
NefariousNed

Postby mrbassbone on Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:22 pm

Overhead projections perhaps? Ned...what did you think about the book cover I posted finally in ALAMO ART?

Nefarious wrote:While I have seen some colour transparencies, it's unusual to me to be seeing a black and white one. What were transparencies
used for, anyway?
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
mrbassbone

Postby Seguin on Sun May 02, 2010 2:56 am

Nice large photo!

While I have seen some colour transparencies, it's unusual to me to be seeing a black and white one. What were transparencies
used for, anyway?

What´s a transparency?
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Sun May 02, 2010 3:19 am

A transparency is an oversized slide, sometimes 11 x 14. I had a colour one once of the Mexican army avalanching across hills and plains, but gave it as a gift. It would've displayed very nicely in a shadow box with back lighting. You will notice in the black and white one above how some parts of the picture are brighter than others. I believe that the person who photographed the transparency merely set it up in front of a lamp and then went "snap".
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun May 02, 2010 3:52 am

used for, anyway?

Transparencies were primarily used for press packets for major newspapers and magazines. The bigger the medium for photographing and reproducing the photo, the higher resolution for, say, a Life Magazine cover. 2x2 slides and 8x10 clossies need not apply. My Alamo press kit included tons of 8x10's and a dozen or so 4x5 transparencies. The 8x10 glossies would have been blown up from a 35mm. camera negative. The 4x5 transparency was photographed on a 4x5 negative. My kit also has a color transparency of the Reynold Brown painting that is maybe 4x12. All are color-shifting to the red end after 50 years.

Notice, the black and white photo above is backwards (see belt buckle and Duke's watch on the wrong wrist). This often happened when printing from a transparency with no indication of front/back. I had to make a Pennsylvania lab take three swings at the ball when printing the shot of the Mexicans storming over the barricade toward the Alamo chapel because they kept printing it backwards. They kept swearing that they were observing the emulsion position on the transparency; I kept insisting that I knew it was backwards BECAUSE I USED TO LIVE THERE!!!!! :roll:
RLC-GTT

Postby Seguin on Sun May 02, 2010 5:08 am

Thanks, Ned and Rich! - Now I get it. Funny, I did´nt notice the reversed belt buckle and the watch on the wrong wrist.

Maybe it would be possible to reverse the pic back with a good photo editing program.

I had to make a Pennsylvania lab take three swings at the ball when printing the shot of the Mexicans storming over the barricade toward the Alamo chapel because they kept printing it backwards. They kept swearing that they were observing the emulsion position on the transparency; I kept insisting that I knew it was backwards BECAUSE I USED TO LIVE THERE!!!!! :roll:

I think I remember that weird story from another thread long ago. :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun May 02, 2010 4:19 pm

Seguin wrote:Thanks, Ned and Rich! - Now I get it. Funny, I did´nt notice the reversed belt buckle and the watch on the wrong wrist.

Maybe it would be possible to reverse the pic back with a good photo editing program.

I had to make a Pennsylvania lab take three swings at the ball when printing the shot of the Mexicans storming over the barricade toward the Alamo chapel because they kept printing it backwards. They kept swearing that they were observing the emulsion position on the transparency; I kept insisting that I knew it was backwards BECAUSE I USED TO LIVE THERE!!!!! :roll:

I think I remember that weird story from another thread long ago. :D

Yeah, it's one of my favorite bad experiences. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby mrbassbone on Sun May 02, 2010 9:31 pm

You mean like this?
Attachments
Transparency.jpg
Transparency.jpg (251.4 KiB) Viewed 2479 times

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
mrbassbone

Postby Seguin on Mon May 03, 2010 7:23 am

Right! Nice job. Thanks, Shell!
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 03, 2010 7:35 pm

Seguin wrote:Right! Nice job. Thanks, Shell!

...and he did that on his trombone!!!! :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby mrbassbone on Mon May 03, 2010 10:27 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:

AHEM...that is BASS TROMBONE, Herr Feathermeister!

mrbassbone

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 03, 2010 11:11 pm

Sorry. I always knew you were bass.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 03, 2010 11:14 pm

I wanted to play the trombone, but in 4th. grade all they had was a full-sized one and I couldn't reach so I took up the violin instead because a half-sized one was available but I quit after a year because they stuck me in a fifth grade orchestra that was ALL GIRL and only Martin Wynnick and I were the only boys and I was so shy that I screwed up all my parts and finally they said bye bye.................... (I still play the stereo.) :oops:
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 03, 2010 11:16 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:.....(I still play the stereo.)

...and conduct it VERY WELL (after seeing Mickey Mouse do it in Sourcerer's Apprentice in Fantasia and because I wanted to be the next Dimitri Tiomkin.). :D
RLC-GTT

Postby Davy on Tue May 04, 2010 12:07 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Sorry. I always knew you were bass.

Well there are "air" guitarists and then there are "bass" trombonists! :o Go figure! :lol:
All I know is that a whole alotta hot air seems to percolate down there! :lol:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby caplock on Tue May 04, 2010 4:13 pm

At last the screen name is explained. One of the more interesting ones, I have to admit. Had me mystified for a long time.
caplock

Postby NefariousNed on Tue May 04, 2010 4:24 pm

mrbassbone wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:

AHEM...that is BASS TROMBONE, Herr Feathermeister!

Speaking, of screen names, whatever happened to Rich's avatar?
NefariousNed

Postby AlamoMo on Tue May 04, 2010 4:30 pm

" Avatar " you ask Ned ????

I don't think he has ever had one so maybe he
won't mind you posting one Ned ??

Oh RICH ????????????????????????
Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby mrbassbone on Tue May 04, 2010 5:07 pm

Hw DID have one. It was the one with him holding the feather duster...hence the name Der Feathermeister.

AlamoMo wrote:" Avatar " you ask Ned ????

I don't think he has ever had one so maybe he
won't mind you posting one Ned ??

Oh RICH ????????????????????????

mrbassbone

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:26 am

Emil and Flaca.
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:24 am

Nice pic of Flaca! - Here´s one of her I found recently:

Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:11 am

Classic Waynamo finale scene. Larry Grimsley heard from some vaquero* that this scene is considered as one of the top 50 movie endings of all time.

* I think it was Joan O'Brien at the 1998 Waynamo reunion in Alamo Village.
Attachments
WaynamoFinaleScene.jpg
WaynamoFinaleScene.jpg (115.97 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:30 am

Well, perhaps, but I too have been saying that because our Alamo Village movie history guru from past years, Mike Bowlin, discovered that it was the result of some survey taken perhaps in the '80's. I don't recall Joan mentioning it, but I was working and wasn't around for everything that was said.
RLC-GTT

PreviousNext

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )