Posters.

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: Posters.

Postby gtj222 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:51 pm

Nefarious wrote:Thanks, Mo. My U.S. poster (seen in the second post on page one of this thread) was pristine when I bought it at a shop in Hollywood California, back in 1970. When I put it on display behind a plexiglass frame however, it yellowed in a few years. Is there any way of removing the yellowing without damaging the poster?

Nef a couple of things will make the poster yellow. The most common is direct sunlight or floresent lighting. Another common reason is whatever is the backing of the poster. If it is framed and the backing of the frame which touches the print is not an acid free board it will over time destroy the poster or print by turning it yellow then brown. Back in the 70's they usually framed with cardboard on the back and the acid breaks out from the cardboard and destroys the poster. I know of no way you can undo the damage already there, but you might want to see what is touching the back of the poster and if it is not acid free, get it corrected.
gtj222

Postby Seguin on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:45 am

I see some posters are referred to as "quads". I gather it´s the size, so how big is a "quad" poster? - Or does it refer to its been folded twice?

Btw, I saw a couple of interesting Waynamo books on ebay. The Alamo Exhibitors Book, which I´ve never heard of before, and The Alamo Film Book :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-ALAMO-EXHIBIT ... 911.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-ALAMO-FILM-BO ... 911.c0.m14
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Seguin on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:57 am

gtj222 wrote:
Nefarious wrote:Thanks, Mo. My U.S. poster (seen in the second post on page one of this thread) was pristine when I bought it at a shop in Hollywood California, back in 1970. When I put it on display behind a plexiglass frame however, it yellowed in a few years. Is there any way of removing the yellowing without damaging the poster?

Nef a couple of things will make the poster yellow. The most common is direct sunlight or floresent lighting. Another common reason is whatever is the backing of the poster. If it is framed and the backing of the frame which touches the print is not an acid free board it will over time destroy the poster or print by turning it yellow then brown. Back in the 70's they usually framed with cardboard on the back and the acid breaks out from the cardboard and destroys the poster. I know of no way you can undo the damage already there, but you might want to see what is touching the back of the poster and if it is not acid free, get it corrected.

Always use acid free cardboard when you get a picture framed. Ask the shop who does the framing to use acid free cardboard. I think most of those shops use it automatically, but better ask to make sure.

There´s no way to remove the yellowing, I think. As gtj says, better get the poster re-framed with acid free cardboard on the back, so it won´t yellow any further.

And always keep pictures and books out of the sunlight. All real book collectors keep their books out of the sunlight, because faded or yellowed spines decreases the books value.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby AlamoMo on Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:49 am

I saw a couple of interesting Waynamo books on ebay. The Alamo Exhibitors Book, which I´ve never heard of before

The Alamo Exhibitors Book was normally sent out to cinema owners and managers
and included different size posters and front of house stills that they could order
extra of to display in their cinema. The film companies would normally send with
the film reels to the cinema one full size quad poster and one set of front of house
stills and these would be returned with the film reels and the end of the films run
in the cinema.

Hope this helps ??

Regards

Mo
Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby Seguin on Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:56 pm

AlamoMo wrote:I saw a couple of interesting Waynamo books on ebay. The Alamo Exhibitors Book, which I´ve never heard of before

The Alamo Exhibitors Book was normally sent out to cinema owners and managers
and included different size posters and front of house stills that they could order
extra of to display in their cinema. The film companies would normally send with
the film reels to the cinema one full size quad poster and one set of front of house
stills and these would be returned with the film reels and the end of the films run
in the cinema.

Hope this helps ??

Regards

Mo

Thanks, Mo! It sure helps. Interesting to see the book for the first time. Funny, that the film companies wanted the full size poster and stills back, instead of just just having some more printed if need be. I guess this is an example of early paper recycling :D
- But I still don´t understand what a "quad" poster is. Is it just short for a quadrate/quadrangular poster, a poster where the height and width are the same?
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:55 pm

The U.S. half sheet for the original release of THE ALAMO (1960). Am I right,
or wrong on this, Mo?
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby AlamoMo on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:24 pm

I think you could be right there Ned

How about Rich & John ???????
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby Seguin on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:53 am

The U.S. half sheet for the original release of THE ALAMO (1960).

Half sheet? Does that mean there´s also "whole sheet" posters, or is it just a term for normal sized (big) movie posters?
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:29 am

I could be wrong, but I do believe 'full sheets' run horizontal, while 'half sheets' run vertical. For this image to be full, it would take two sheets, side by side. Some theaters lobby windows however can only accomodate a half sheet.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby AlamoMo on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:50 pm

You're correct there Ned.

Most British Quad Posters measure 40 inches horizontal and 30 inches vertical.

Hope this helps??
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby Seguin on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:28 pm

AlamoMo wrote:You're correct there Ned.

Most British Quad Posters measure 40 inches horizontal and 30 inches vertical.

Hope this helps??

Thanks, Ned & Mo! - One last question, what´s the difference between a "half sheet" poster and a "quad" poster?
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:34 pm

Again, since "quad" posters seem to be limited to the UK, I may be jumping the gun here in guessing, but, just judging by its name, it would seem to be the equivalent of a US 4 sheet.
NefariousNed

Postby Davy on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:45 pm

Is that like 4 sheets to the wind? :o :lol:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby Seguin on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:55 pm

Nefarious wrote:Again, since "quad" posters seem to be limited to the UK, I may be jumping the gun here in guessing, but, just judging by its name, it would seem to be the equivalent of a US 4 sheet.

Thanks, Ned! - And how does a US 4 sheet relate to a "half sheet"? Are they smaller than a "half sheet"?
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:49 pm

2/4 =1/2 sheet.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:49 pm

The Belgian poster for THE ALAMO.
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:43 am

Nefarious wrote:2/4 =1/2 sheet.

Okay, so the size of two US 4 sheets are the same as a "half sheet". Thanks, Ned...
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby MUSTANG on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:18 am

Sorry for joining the discussion so late. There are Half sheets (22X28), One sheets (27X41), Two sheets (40X60), Three sheets (which are actually 2 panels, 26X41 and 54X41), and 24 sheets 104X232 which are made up of various panels 44X62, and a narrower one that ran the length of the bottom.) a 24 sheet is roughly 24 times the size of a one sheet. Hence the term.
MUSTANG

Postby Seguin on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:15 am

MUSTANG wrote:Sorry for joining the discussion so late. There are Half sheets (22X28), One sheets (27X41), Two sheets (40X60), Three sheets (which are actually 2 panels, 26X41 and 54X41), and 24 sheets 104X232 which are made up of various panels 44X62, and a narrower one that ran the length of the bottom.) a 24 sheet is roughly 24 times the size of a one sheet. Hence the term.

Thanks a lot, Mustang! That´s a clear and precise answer. And it´s inches and not centimeters, I gather.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby MUSTANG on Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:05 am

Inches it is.
MUSTANG

Postby Davy on Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:47 pm

MUSTANG wrote:Inches it is.

You know what they say ... you giv'em an inch they'll take a kilometer! :o :lol:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby Seguin on Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:52 am

Davy wrote:
MUSTANG wrote:Inches it is.

You know what they say ... you giv'em an inch they'll take a kilometer! :o :lol:

Davy

"By the yard, life is hard. By the inch, it's a cinch". :D

"Paddle you own canoe over spilt milk" :?
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:13 pm

The 1967 rerelease poster with John Wayne's badly super-imposed, oversized replacement head.
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:00 am

That orange color is horrible!
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Davy on Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:47 pm

Up Sh&T creek without a paddle! :o :lol:

Davy
Davy

Postby quincey morris on Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:30 pm

Trying to get the UT folks to attend-after all they use the Eyes of Texas in the movie. :D
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. C'est de la folie
Marshal Pierre Bosquet
25 October 1854
quincey morris

Postby Davy on Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:05 pm

quincey morris wrote:Trying to get the UT folks to attend-after all they use the Eyes of Texas in the movie. :D

Hah .. good luck in that! :o :lol:

Davy
Davy

Postby Seguin on Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:32 pm

Davy wrote:Up Sh&T creek without a paddle! :o :lol:

Davy

Here, let me help you out... :D
Attachments
ShitCreek.jpg
ShitCreek.jpg (26.58 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Davy on Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:00 pm

Seguin wrote:
Davy wrote:Up Sh&T creek without a paddle! :o :lol:

Davy

Here, let me help you out... :D

Wa'll I reckon ... that about sums it up ina nutshell! :shock: :lol:

They probably have a sale on paddles goin on nowadays too! :roll:

Davy
Davy

Postby Seguin on Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:36 am

They probably have a sale on paddles goin on nowadays too! :roll:

Given the current economical climate they´re probably selling a lot of paddles... :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:46 am

quincey morris wrote:Trying to get the UT folks to attend-after all they use the Eyes of Texas in the movie. :D

All the rest of us heard was "I've been working on the railroad all the live-long day..."

That, and "What shall we do with the drunken sailour?", ay Rich?
NefariousNed

Postby bgroneman on Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:19 pm

Does anyone remember (no pun intended) a poster or newspaper add with the words "Remember it" repeated in diminishing size. I know I saw an original years ago, and I've seen it recently in a book or an article but now I can't find it. Does anyone know or have a copy you can post?
bgroneman

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:35 am

Bill, while I remember having seen the poster you mention,
I've not been able to locate it. Here's a newspaper block ad
that was based on the poster, though. I believe that it
was for the 1967 UK rerelease of the film.

NOTE: The actual ad is much smaller than this, about the size
of a large postage stamp. As such, newspapers could squeeze
it onto practically every page of a newspaper for maximum
exposure.
NefariousNed

Postby HunterMike on Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:58 pm

I was at my mom's in Dallas a couple of weeks ago helping her clean out her house and found this poster packed away in a long postal tube and in perfect condition. I know there's nothing too special about it, but I had never seen it, so it was kind of a "find" for me. Had to have been from the '80s. It came from a Texas Highway Magazine promo I believe. I imagine a frame is in it's future. Anyway, I hung it next to my lonely, shelved Alamo model. Not a bad likeness. ;)

Cheers,
Mike
Greatness courts failure
HunterMike

Postby Davy on Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:38 pm

Very nice poster Mike! :D

Davy
Davy

Postby Alamo John UK on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:11 pm

I really like the model as well, where did you get it Mike ?
Alamo John UK

Postby HunterMike on Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:19 pm

Morning Alamo John,

I carved the model from balsa foam. Check out the Alamo (1960) thread under dioramas and models, page 25 for more detailed shots. Know any famous drummers from the UK in the market for an Alamo model? I've got one for sale! :lol:

Cheers!
Greatness courts failure
HunterMike

Postby bill chemerka on Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:25 pm

bgroneman wrote:Does anyone remember (no pun intended) a poster or newspaper add with the words "Remember it" repeated in diminishing size. I know I saw an original years ago, and I've seen it recently in a book or an article but now I can't find it. Does anyone know or have a copy you can post?

It's from the 1967 re-release. And I don't believe it was included in Clark & Andersen's John Wayn'es The Alamo in TODD-AO: The Making of John Wayne's 1960 Epic Film or Pfeiffer & Worrall's The Alamo: A Visual Celebration of John Wayne's Classic Movie.

Stop by, sometimes. I've got one matted and framed.

All the best.
bill chemerka

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:16 pm

bill chemerka wrote:[
It's from the 1967 re-release...

Stop by, sometimes. I've got one matted and framed.

All the best.

Well, could you maybe just snap a photo of it hanging on your wall?
We know that you know how to paste images, now.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:38 pm

Alamo John UK wrote:I really like the model as well, where did you get it Mike ?

I rather like the book that's lying flat on the second shelve! ;)
NefariousNed

PreviousNext

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )