"THE ALAMO" 1967 Rerelease

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

"THE ALAMO" 1967 Rerelease

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:32 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:.....it's here again: THE ALAMO!!! In living Technicolor and chopped to pieces! :lol:

So, just how many of you out there got to see it? Was it really furtherly chopped, as
Rich Curilla says?

I remember getting all excited about seeing the film again! I was 15 years old and
chomping at the bit to see it. It was listed in the newspapers as showing in two drive-
in theaters and the local cheapo-cheapo cinema, The Baldwin Theater in Baldwin Park,
California. But I couldn't convince any of my friends with cars to see it, so that only left
the Baldwin. By the day of the film's scheduled showing though, THE ALAMO lobby card
had been removed. The film was never shown. By 1967, Baldwin Park had become
predominantly Hispanic, so perhaps the theater had chickened out showing it. "Stinkin'
Rotten Baldwin!" I remember chanting over and over. "Stinkin' Rotten Baldwin!" (Years
later, actor Alec Baldwin would portray Alamo commander William Barret Travis in the
made-for-TV film, "13 Days To Glory".) A coincidence you say? Perhaps not...

It would not be until 1969 when THE ALAMO first premiered on TV that I got to see it
again. On a 12 inch portable TV screen--- at the beach.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Re: "THE ALAMO" 1967 Rerelease

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:54 pm

NefariousNed wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:.....it's here again: THE ALAMO!!! In living Technicolor and chopped to pieces! :lol:

No, I was being corny. I did not notice one cut in the 1967 re-release that wasn't already in the 1961 general release. The reason I am so sure is that I saw it 13 times in 1961 and knew it by heart. The '67 release happened while I was working for the summer at Alamo Village, and I got to see it several times. It was in the Gay 90's Drive-In in Del Rio and then also in the Palace Theater then in Brackettville and run by Bob Harris' mom and dad. Bob was in the movie, so a big deal was made of bringing it to the Brackettville theater (which closed down several years later). What was particularly special about this showing was that I sat with John Henry Daniels, then a high school student. Every time he would appear in a scene (he was Happy Sam, the little Negro boy who leaves with Mrs. Dickinson at the end), all his buddies would razz him and throw spit-balls at him -- and me.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:04 pm

Also during this 1967 re-release, it ran at a drive in about 40 miles from State College, PA, and I arranged to borrow my best friend's reel-to-reel tape recorder to record the soundtrack. It, of course, needed an electrical outlet, so we parked right next to the projection booth. I told the projectionist what I wanted to do, and he gave me a screwdriver and told me to disassemble our pole speaker (remember these?) and alligator clip my auxiliary cord to the speaker terminals for perfect (although monaural) sound. Imagine a projectionist initiating such a concept! Thus, from then on, I had the complete 162 minute soundtrack and played it regularly.

Since I couldn't see the movie again until its first abysmal releases on the pan-and-scan prints for TV and video, my only Alamo movie kick came from the dialogue, sound effects and music score. It's funny how your mind will reinvent (usually poorly) images that you can no longer see. When I did see the movie again (even though on crappy TV), I was very surprised at how much more there was in the images than I had remembered.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:09 pm

For those who missed it! For those who saw it.... and can't forget it! For those friends who didn't want to see it but did ANYWAY... AGAIN!...and AGAIN!...and then were not allowed to forget it.......................... AND STILL REMAINED FRIENDS! :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby Rick on Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:08 am

Rich, do you still have that reel-to-reel tape somewhere?
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:48 am

Rick wrote:Rich, do you still have that reel-to-reel tape somewhere?

I still have a reel-to-reel tape of the UK version of the soundtrack to the film, courtesy of Laurence Golbey.
Includes the arrival of the Gonzales 32, plus Lisa's birthday party.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:50 am

Oh... somewhere. But with nothing to play it on, it is buried deep -- maybe even still in Pennsylvania. Besides, who needs it today. We've got a far better version of the soundtrack right on the DVD -- in stereo, which I would have killed for in 1967.
RLC-GTT

Postby Rick on Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:18 pm

. . . because I have a reel-to-reel tape recorder that still works fine.

Takes thinkin' on . . .
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:53 pm

What Lawrence Golbey did with his version of the soundtrack was to bleed out all the dialogue and most of the sound effects. Until that recent City of
Prague Philharmonic box set, this was as close as I got to having the "complete" music track to the film.
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:57 pm

Was that the recording that you sent me (I think it was you) way back when? My guess was that it was actually just the left and right tracks of the six-track stereo master soundtrack (minus the three primary tracks behind the screen and the rear track). It was missing part of the "Never knew the night could be so dark" scene (had the first cue but not the second) and most of the Flaca/Crockett cues from the Bexar night scenes. Part of the cues were stereo, part mono. The volume came and went, as it would if only part of a total sound mix in six tracks. Is this the one? I LIVED on that for years.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:16 pm

NefariousNed wrote:...Until that recent City of Prague Philharmonic box set, this was as close as I got to having the "complete" music track to the film.

The Nic Raine recording with the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra is excellent. Raine captured most of Tiomkin's energy, pushing his orchestra to perform at tempos they never even imagined (and Tiomkin had nailed). Raine did however miss the boat in two ways. There are a few cues that he just didn't understand -- or chose to go a different direction. One of these is the music cue for the cut scene where Jethro consoles Bowie at the beginning. Tiomkin picked up the tempo majorly when Bowie throws the jug away and goes out and talks to Travis. Raine just plodded along at the same temp as if it were a quiet dialogue scene. The other (far more major) limitation of the whole performance of the score is that he just doesn't seem to "feel" Tiomkin's Russian passion! All of Tiomkin's wonderfully organic tempo swells and recedes (sorry about the poor terminology) seem to have been lost on Raine (an otherwise awesome conductor) and we are left with a metronome-accurate, inflexibly rigid tempo, which mostly changes only with a cue change.

But it is best of the best in that Nic Raine (and producer James Fitzpatrick) chose to bring the whole Tiomkin Alamo score to life FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER. However, I STILL WANT TO EXPERIENCE A COMPLETE, ISOLATED, STEREO PRESENTATION OF THE COMPLETE ORIGINAL MUSIC SCORE TRACK CONDUCTED BY DIMITRI TIOMKIN.
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:25 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:Was that the recording that you sent me (I think it was you) way back when? My guess was that it was actually just the left and right tracks of the six-track stereo master soundtrack (minus the three primary tracks behind the screen and the rear track). It was missing part of the "Never knew the night could be so dark" scene (had the first cue but not the second) and most of the Flaca/Crockett cues from the Bexar night scenes. Part of the cues were stereo, part mono. The volume came and went, as it would if only part of a total sound mix in six tracks. Is this the one? I LIVED on that for years.

No doubt it was. I don't remember these things. Glad you do.
NefariousNed

Postby batjacdon on Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:03 pm

So, what was cut in the 1967 release that hadn't already been cut in 1961? I saw it in 1961, 1963 at the Circle theater (which is still open here) and the Will Rogers Theater (now a parking lot) and I don't recall anything cut from any of those.
batjacdon

Postby Pudman on Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:01 pm

I saw the re-release at the Lamar in downtown Jackson, Mississippi. Great old theater with a large screen. I do not remember any difference from the first cut run. I do remember a more cut version shown in 1978 on broadcast TV. I even bought a VCR to record it because I was going to Memphis to see Foghat and Rainbow. Saw that tape many times until the first VHS version came out which cost $90. How times have changed.
Pudman

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:04 pm

batjacdon wrote:So, what was cut in the 1967 release that hadn't already been cut in 1961?

Nothing that I noticed. As I said, I was just kidding around in my earlier post. But the TV network print was indeed cut to about 141 minutes (if I remember correctly the information I saw). All the "extreme" violence, like Wayne being lanced, Bowie being bayoneted and Big Boy and Chill Wills being stuck with swords... and other complete scenes that I no longer remember. "TV: The Vast Wasteland."
RLC-GTT

Postby AlamoMo on Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:42 pm

Well at last after a couple of weeks of trying I have managed to upload an
image of my British Alamo Re-Release Quad Posters on to Photobucket so
here you go.

Regards

Mo
Attachments
pic29350a.jpg
pic29350a.jpg (644.75 KiB) Viewed 272 times
Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:46 pm

Vibrant!
RLC-GTT

Postby alamojim on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:17 pm

I remember going to see the re-release with several friends who knew how passionate I was about the Alamo in general and the movie as well. I had seen it 8 1/2 times in '61, and hoped to see it several more in '67, but as I recall it closed before I had a chance to see it again. My friends enjoyed it, and I felt vindicated that I had talked them all into going to see it. As I've mentioned in other postings, never in my wildest imaginings did I ever think that one day I would get to actually visit the set and walk and stand in the very places so many scenes took place in, and then eventually actually meet several of the cast I had seen so many times.
alamojim

Postby 105ECB on Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:24 pm

I remember seeing the 1967 release several times during that summer. The Alamo was still playing at our 2nd tier theaters during the late winter of '68. My quest for knowledge about the movie set was great, I was still more than a year away from going to Brackettville. I remember sitting in the theater snapping pictures off the screen with my 35mm camera, hoping not to be yanked out of seat by the manager. When the film had ended I was approached by a fellow who had been doing the same thing. We compared notes finding out that we both had built 1/48 scale models of the movie set. Our models were built based on what we knew at the time and reflected that knowledge. My 1/48 model is long gone, but I'm still trying to find photos of it. I did build a 1/128 model after my second trip to Brackettville in 1970, and I still have that model. I hope to post some photos of that model in the near future. I'm also having the 35mm slides of my 1969 trip to Brackettville transferred to DVD and will post those as soon as possible.

Marty
105ECB

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:58 pm

Now, that is so cool, Jim and Marty! Thanks for sharing. (Looking forward to your 1969 photos of the Alamo, Marty.)
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:44 am

My very first model (attempted but never completed) was after seeing the model that used to be on display in the Alamo BEFORE the one that's there now. This was on my first visit in 1958. We got back home and my dad bought me four cans of Playdough. I made the chapel facade out of it and the other buildings (after the Frederick Ray "Bird's Eye View" drawing) were from Dad's cigarette carton cardboard and then actual posterboard -- when we discovered it. Open a can of Playdough today (if any still exists) and the smell will transport me back to this 10-year-old adventure. Oh, and, after I sculpted the facade, my mom baked it in the oven (as per directions on the box if you wanted to preserve it).

THEN I saw John Wayne's Alamo in early '61 and visited the set in June of that year, and started over again. The '67 re-release moved me up to my film study interest in the movie and thus to a whole new adventure -- still going on.
RLC-GTT

Postby alamonorth on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:07 am

My biggest memory of the 67 rerelease was that I had to sit through 2 showings of Elvis Presley's Frankie and Johnnie in order to see The Alamo twice on a Saturday afternoon. It was playing at a second run theatre and if you weren't there at opening you probably didn't get in, so you had to watch whatever played till your film came on. Hey at 50 cents for a day's entertainment you couldn't complain. This theatre,The Rialto, has a very special place in my heart because in the early 60's they also had rereleases of The First Texan and The Last Command.
alamonorth

Postby AlamoMo on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:23 pm

What pleases me most is to read the wonderful memories people still have of
the 1967 re-release of the Alamo film and the wonderful comments that have
been left about it

A real joy to read

Mo
Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:01 pm

I was given free tickets to see it from local DJ my dad knew. That was my second time I had got to see it on the BIG screen. Different theatre though. Screen size was same.
Was still impressed as I was at the filmfest on location.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby Don on Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:08 pm

After only seeing the 1960 release twice when I was nine years old I was happy that it was re-released in 1967. I saw it five times on that release. It played in our town in the newly refurbished Odeon theatre and I remember going to see it Friday night and Saturday night and sitting through both showings each night. Back in those days here they only had the theatre open two evenings a week or else I would have gone more. I still remember the look we all got from a friend of mine who was the usher at the place, wondering just how long we would sit there. They had just upgraded the projection equipment and the first, and sadly last movie that was shown there was The Alamo. I don't know why the place closed but the theatre stayed empty for about five years and then got converted to a bank. It's now an outdoors/camping store combined with a pawn shop. Then not too long afterwards it was playing in a drive in theatre a few miles away and my brother, dad and I and went again. That place is closed too and is part of a golf course. Do you think there is some kind of curse with showing The Alamo?
Don

Postby DocWylie on Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:28 am

I was thrilled when The Alamo was rereleased! As others have noted, those were the days before videotapes, DVDs, YouTube etc etc and there was just no way to see a beloved movie if it wasn't in the theaters. It was playing at a drive-in on Niagara Falls Blvd. in a Buffalo, NY suburb. I took my girlfriend to see it on our Friday night date (and yes, we watched the movie in its entirety... No hanky panky!). They even handed out copies of the souvenir book, although it was in paperback...not the hardcover version that I had purchased for $1 during the initial release. I can't remember details as to which version was shown as I had no idea there would be other versions other than the one I had seen back in 1960.

I guess my girlfriend was understanding of my Alamo fixation because she sat through the movie and even said she liked it! I was so impressed that I eventually asked her to marry me and we have enjoyed 43 years together and have watched and rewatched The Alamo first on VHS and now on DVD so many times I've lost count.

I kept the souvenir book for myself, though.
DocWylie

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:52 am

Where's your romantic nature, Doc? Surely you could both cuddle up in front of a roaring fireplace, turn the lights down low and look at the book together. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby DocWylie on Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:45 pm

I tried that, Rich... but she wanted to turn the pages too fast for my liking... she felt I was lingering over the Linda Cristal photos too long.
DocWylie

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:23 pm

And she should be proud of the fact that you have that kind of good taste. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby DocWylie on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:36 am

I said I was just looking at the book "for the articles"!
DocWylie

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:27 am

Uh-huh! Well....... Perhaps "articles" was not the best word to use under the circumstances.
RLC-GTT

Postby DocWylie on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:08 am

I mentioned "hermosos pechos"... also poor choice of words. :?
DocWylie

Postby fespar on Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:07 pm

The original version was still showing in Sweden in 1967!I saw it back then and just loved it.However,I was saddened to see that in
1971 it was the edited version.
Attachments
AlamoTODDAOposter.JPG
AlamoTODDAOposter.JPG (198.72 KiB) Viewed 11534 times
fespar

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:57 pm

Was it still the Todd-AO version? I guess so, if it was uncut.
RLC-GTT

Postby fespar on Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:37 pm

Todd-AO version,right!
Attachments
ofwerlund1 001.jpg
ofwerlund1 001.jpg (27.65 KiB) Viewed 11494 times
fespar

Postby alamocentral on Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:52 am

Rich, it can still be the Todd-AO version whether it is full length, or shortened. A Todd-AO theatrical venue merely means that it is running a 70mm print. During the first run, they ran three different versions of the film...all of which were Todd-AO prints. In early November 1960, while the full length film was running, Batjac experimented by running a print without the Birthday Party. By Novemeber 16th, the final version was running in Los Angeles (172 minutes). All three of these were Todd-AO prints. During the 1967 reissue, any theatre that wanted a stereo print got a shortened 70mm print or a 1961 35mm four track mag print. So, in 1967, 1971, or 1979...if they were running a 70mm print, it was in Todd-AO.

If I advertise that I will run The Alamo in Todd-AO...and only show one reel, I am technically showing the Todd-AO version.
alamocentral

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:59 am

I do understand what Todd-AO is, but I did not realize that anything other than the 192 minute prints were run. Plus I thought they were all trashed but the Toronto print after the first release. Thanks for the information. Maybe I ought to read John's book -- again. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby gh1836 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:00 pm

I remember being at the Star Theater in Hereford Texas and seeing the coming soon trailers and Wow!!! The Alamo is coming back again to the same theater that had shown the movie that brought me to madness. I couldn't wait! I remember seeing in the trailer the scene where Travis explains to Crockett his reason for defending the Alamo with his sword in the sand. Oh man do I remember the thrill. When the time came to see it again, I went with my old friend Jimmy Foster and my little brother Ronnie. I was in the nearest thing to heaven this side of the sky! It was like finding a long lost friend i hadn't seen in five years. (five years was a long time back then ;) )

After the show I remember Jimmy and I discussing how to make a homemade playset to reenact what he had just seen for the first time. I told him how I had made an Alamo fort by using a wooden box for the chapel and bricks for the walls. I would then pack mud against the bricks so I could stick match sticks and toothpicks for the Texans and Tennesseans to shoot over the walls. I would use broken tree limbs for the palisade. Then I would use sticks from trees broken down to the size of matchsticks for Mexican Soldiers with Shakoos and nails for Mexican Soldiers with presidio hats. Oh the good ole days! :D
Gary Heck
gh1836

Postby SantaClaus on Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:13 pm

Just read through all the posts on this thread. I was moved by the words used over and over by those who posted. "I remember" "I remember"
Very nice. I remember, too.
Richard McC
SantaClaus

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:01 am

Anyone got a time machine so I can remember too?
DukeCrockett93

Next

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )