Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Murder Pall Over THE ALAMO Film Location

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:26 pm

The unfortunate LeJean Ethridge (Mrs. Guy) who
was murdered by her jealous boyfiend during
production. I'm sure that John Farkis can
elaborate on the incident.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby MUSTANG on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:58 am

Thanks Ned. There has always been a great deal of confusion about the name of LaJean Ethridge. (Mrs. Guy). Actually, LeJean's full name was LaJean Guye Ethridge although she went by her stage name of LaJean Guye. 29 at the time of her murder, she was killed by her lover Chester Harvey Smith. Both individuals, along with a few others, were members of the Names-Townsend Players, an acting troupe, who at the time of the filming, were doing stage plays in Bandera.
MUSTANG

Postby Seguin on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:12 am

Was´nt there something about Wayne not wanting to show up in the court and talk about the murder (although he did´nt know nothing), because it would be too expensive to close down the production while the court was in session, but then he went anyway?
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Re: Murder Pall Over THE ALAMO Film Location

Postby MUSTANG on Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:55 pm

You are right my friend. He said he didn't have anything to contribute to it. I've heard, but never really been able to confirm that he was notified of the incident while filming the "Flaca tree" sequence in Sabinal. Linda Cristal feels that this may be why he felt so distant in her scene under the tree. Wayne was also forced to take time out to go to the courthouse and identify Chester Smith. Interestingly, LaJean's mother indicated that Smith was one of the individuals who was always at LaJean's house in California and that they would rehearse their lines together whenever they had a play to perform.
MUSTANG

Postby Davy on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:53 pm

Who knows what road her career would have taken after being in this film .. even her small part! :cry:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby Seguin on Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:03 pm

MUSTANG wrote:You are right my friend. He said he didn't have anything to contribute to it. I've heard, but never really been able to confirm that he was notified of the incident while filming the "Flaca tree" sequence in Sabinal. Linda Cristal feels that this may be why he felt so distant in her scene under the tree. Wayne was also forced to take time out to go to the courthouse and identify Chester Smith. Interestingly, LaJean's mother indicated that Smith was one of the individuals who was always at LaJean's house in California and that they would rehearse their lines together whenever they had a play to perform.

Thanks a lot, Mustang! You´ve added some info I have´nt heard before - the bit about Linda Cristal thinking that may be why Wayne felt so distant in the tree scene!
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:31 pm

The ill-fated LaJean Ethridge, murdered with a Bowie knife by a jealous boyfriend from the acting troupe they'd both been members of.
After serving something like 4 years, the guy was released.

LaJean's one and only scene, as Mrs. Guye, cut from the general release of THE ALAMO, can be seen in the Director's Cut of the film.

MUSTANG wrote:Thanks Ned. There has always been a great deal of confusion about the name of LaJean Ethridge. (Mrs. Guy). Actually, LeJean's full name was LaJean Guye Ethridge although she went by her stage name of LaJean Guye. 29 at the time of her murder, she was killed by her lover Chester Harvey Smith. Both individuals, along with a few others, were members of the Names-Townsend Players, an acting troupe, who at the time of the filming, were doing stage plays in Bandera.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Davy on Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:12 am

Nefarious wrote:The ill-fated LaJean Ethridge, murdered with a Bowie knife by a jealous boyfriend from the acting troupe they'd both been members of.
After serving something like 4 years, the guy was released.

LaJean's one and only scene, as Mrs. Guye, cut from the general release of THE ALAMO, can be seen in the Director's Cut of the film.

MUSTANG wrote:Thanks Ned. There has always been a great deal of confusion about the name of LaJean Ethridge. (Mrs. Guy). Actually, LeJean's full name was LaJean Guye Ethridge although she went by her stage name of LaJean Guye. 29 at the time of her murder, she was killed by her lover Chester Harvey Smith. Both individuals, along with a few others, were members of the Names-Townsend Players, an acting troupe, who at the time of the filming, were doing stage plays in Bandera.

Does anyone know where this murder took place and where this guy served his time ... more info! :cry:

Just the facts ma'am!

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby wconly on Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:08 pm

Davy wrote:
Does anyone know where this murder took place and where this guy served his time ... more info! :cry:

Just the facts ma'am!

Davy

From what I know this occured during the filming, so probably Ft. Clark. I do know that Wayne had to give testiment at the trial and was offended because the D.A. kept referring to him as John Payne. And, Wayne would come back with that is: Wayne! The whole deal must have really cost Wayne and put a stamp of issues on the production for all involved. Rich might have much better insight on this then I do. But this is from what I have researched on this issue. W>
wconly

Postby MUSTANG on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:51 pm

She was murdered on October 11, 1959 at a small house in the town of Spofford which is located about 9 miles south of Brackettville. She was living there at the time with her boyfriend Chester Harvey Smith and several other males. He was jealous because Wayne offered her a small part in his production which required her to live at Ft. Clark with the rest of the actors. He stabbed her as she was packing her belongings and she died in his arms. He was immediately arrested and held in the Del Rio jail. He plead guilty to murder charges and was sentanced to 30 years in prison. I don't know where he served his time. Possibly in San Antonio???
MUSTANG

Postby Davy on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:14 pm

MUSTANG wrote:She was murdered on October 11, 1959 at a small house in the town of Spofford which is located about 9 miles south of Brackettville. She was living there at the time with her boyfriend Chester Harvey Smith and several other males. He was jealous because Wayne offered her a small part in his production which required her to live at Ft. Clark with the rest of the actors. He stabbed her as she was packing her belongings and she died in his arms. He was immediately arrested and held in the Del Rio jail. He plead guilty to murder charges and was sentanced to 30 years in prison. I don't know where he served his time. Possibly in San Antonio???

Good stuff guys thanx ... sad that a lady as such had to meet her end so tragically! :cry:

Davy
Davy

Postby quincey morris on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:44 pm

Not SA-no state prison there. Huntsville? Gainesville? There was no jury trial, because he plead guilty, and it was a closed hearing. If he was not paroled early, he would have been out in 1979.
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. C'est de la folie
Marshal Pierre Bosquet
25 October 1854
quincey morris

Postby Davy on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:01 pm

quincey morris wrote:Not SA-no state prison there. Huntsville? Gainesville? There was no jury trial, because he plead guilty, and it was a closed hearing. If he was not paroled early, he would have been out in 1979.

Most likely Huntsville ... he's probably LOOONG gone now ... :roll:

Davy
Davy

Postby quincey morris on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:27 pm

Agree with that! There is a listing for him at that film information site (forgot the name-and if it is him-remember they got Rich's favorite actress wrong).
Marshal Pierre Bosquet
25 October 1854
quincey morris

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:53 pm

There's something seriously wrong with a justice system that will kick the cowardly murderer of a woman loose after only 4, or so years and yet throw peope into the pokey for LIFE for merely stealing money.
NefariousNed

Postby MUSTANG on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:22 pm

Yes, he is out. Jim Brewer said one time that he visited with the local paster in Brackettville who mentioned to him that Smith spoke with the paster on his release.
MUSTANG

Postby Davy on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:36 am

Hmm ...heres one with that name Chester Smith associated with the Alamo film ... according to
this on IMDB he died last year in California ... :? Not much other info!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1143592/

Davy
Davy

Postby Seguin on Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:00 am

Nefarious wrote:There's something seriously wrong with a justice system that will kick the cowardly murderer of a woman loose after only 4, or so years and yet throw peope into the pokey for LIFE for merely stealing money.

I agree. It seems like it´s people with money who created the law ;) - That said, killing your wife or girlfriend always gets you a smaller sentence than killing a stranger, for some reason. We currently have a debate over here about it. Nobody can understand why one should have a "rebate" if the victim is one´s wife or girlfriend. It´s like the judicial system thinks that the victim somehow provoked their own killing to take place. I´m not saying that never happens, but....
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby MUSTANG on Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:27 am

Davy and Kevin, you're correct. Further research showed that it was Huntsville. Smith claimed that a mental blackout kept him from remembering what happened. The Prosecutor John Tobin stated that, "Show people are a breed of their own."
MUSTANG

Postby quincey morris on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:15 pm

MUSTANG wrote:Davy and Kevin, you're correct. Further research showed that it was Huntsville. Smith claimed that a mental blackout kept him from remembering what happened. The Prosecutor John Tobin stated that, "Show people are a breed of their own."

I wonder where she ended up being buried?
Marshal Pierre Bosquet
25 October 1854
quincey morris

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:14 pm

Still of Wayne with the ill-fated LaJean Ethridge. (Hey, I thought the stencil work on the
church tower was from a later film.)
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:58 pm

From October, 2011. "Behind The Scenes Photographs":

alamocentral wrote:... I just found a roll of film depicting Chester Harvey Smith's arraignment for killing LeJean Etheridge.
Ashley

AlamoMo wrote:...Well in time can you post an image of this geezer
" Chester Harvey Smith " as I for one would love to
see what this guy looks like that sadly took the life
of " LeJean Etheridge " bless her.
Thanks in advance Ashley

Rick wrote:Is Smith even still alive?

AlamoMo wrote:I have had no joy at all Rick trying to find out :(

Alamo John UK wrote:Just "Googled" his name and there was a small piece on IMDB.

Chester Smith (I) (1930–2008)
Actor
Born:
Chester Harvey Smith
March 29, 1930 in Wade, Oklahoma, USA
Died:
August 8, 2008 (age 78) in Palo Alto, California, USA
Filmography
(1 title)
1960 The Alamo (uncredited)

As he was on the original payroll as an extra, I guess this is the same guy??

MUSTANG wrote:Indeed.

AlamoMo wrote:Thanks for that " AlamoJohn " indeed

It's an image of the guy I have been trying to
find is what I meant to say earlier

Regards

Mo
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:46 pm

From the Los Angeles Times
Attachments
LaJeanMurderLATimes.jpg
LaJeanMurderLATimes.jpg (104.69 KiB) Viewed 13564 times
NefariousNed

Postby MUSTANG on Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:57 pm

You'll be surprised at what really went down that evening. Just buy the book. LOL!
MUSTANG

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

Who is the actor seen with Wayne here? The Abilene Reporter-News had the below caption to this photo
in it's archives, but did not elaborate.
Attachments
AbileneReporter-NewsJealousBoyfriend StabsActressToDeath.jpg
AbileneReporter-NewsJealousBoyfriend StabsActressToDeath.jpg (30.35 KiB) Viewed 13579 times
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:32 pm

MUSTANG wrote:You'll be surprised at what really went down that evening. Just buy the book. LOL!

Absolutely, John!

Just decided to create this thread today to showcase two original news photos I received in
the mail yesterday.

It's singular that the murder weapon is described differently in the two clippings. ("butcher
knife", "hunting knife") I had originally heard it described as a "Bowie knife.
Attachments
LaJeanEthridgeMurder1.jpg
LaJeanEthridgeMurder1.jpg (67.57 KiB) Viewed 13569 times
LaJeanEthridgeMurder2.jpg
LaJeanEthridgeMurder2.jpg (26.8 KiB) Viewed 13507 times
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:36 pm

And here's kind of a rare find. A glamor head shot of La Jean Ethridge. We are used
to seeing her as the dowdy country woman in THE ALAMO. But she was an aspiring
actress hoping to make it in Hollywood and Mrs. Guye was just one of the roles she
accepted to do so.
Attachments
LaJeanEthridgeHeadShot1.jpg
LaJeanEthridgeHeadShot1.jpg (60.36 KiB) Viewed 13480 times
LaJeanEthridgeHeadShot2.jpg
LaJeanEthridgeHeadShot2.jpg (54.99 KiB) Viewed 13524 times
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:00 pm

NefariousNed wrote:
It's singular that the murder weapon is described differently in the two clippings. ("butcher
knife", "hunting knife") I had originally heard it described as a "Bowie knife.

Only Alamaniacs think "Bowie Knife" in the real world. The news media didn't (and don't) know what that means. ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby alamobill on Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:48 am

NefariousNed wrote:Who is the actor seen with Wayne here? The Abilene Reporter-News had the below caption to this photo

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that is Dean Smith.
alamobill

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:14 am

alamobill wrote:
NefariousNed wrote:Who is the actor seen with Wayne here? The Abilene Reporter-News had the below caption to this photo

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that is Dean Smith.

Yeah, it does look like Dean, now that you mention it. I wonder why they used that photo?
Only "stock" photo they had on hand?
NefariousNed

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:30 pm

Didn't Duke have her under contract?
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby MUSTANG on Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:30 pm

Almost, Ron. Ethridge was a member of the Names-Townsend Players (a repertory group from California who were working locally) and was originally paid $20 a day. Wayne was so impressed with her acting he paid her $350 weekly and even applied for a Screen Actors Guild card on her behalf. Sadly, she was murdered before she could film any additional scenes.
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:36 pm

It is indeed Dean Smith.
RLC-GTT

Postby gh1836 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:35 am

After the scene with Miss Guy, did they shoot the letter scene outside the Cantina and then move to the river scene with Flaka?
Gary Heck
gh1836

Postby cc nolen on Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:58 pm

Just read this thread....can anyone say why the killer got out in only 4 years? :shock:
cc nolen

Postby MUSTANG on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:34 pm

Here are a few answers to the last two questions. As we know, films are generally not shot in sequential sequence. Actors availability, interior vs. exterior sets, soundstage vs. locations, children, day vs. night and weather (just to name a few factors) all impact what scene is filmed when. This was the most difficult portion of my book to write as there were no longer any daily PA reports to refer to. (The PA reports would indicate what, where and who were involved in each day's shooting). Although the master shooting schedule was finalized in early August, Wayne began to deviate from it almost immediately. As a result, I had to use the master schedule augmented by interviews, newspaper articles and rare photos to determine what was filmed when. Although not 100% accurate, it seems reasonable.

Grant wrote LaJean's scene on September 15, 1959. By the way, her stage name, as indicated previously, was LaJean Guye, taken from her father's middle name. Hence, the Mrs. Guy. If you're referring to the writing of the letter scene, it was filmed at the Ft. Clark hangar soundstage. The Cantina tamale breakfast scene was filmed on September 15. The prelude to that sequence in which Crockett speaks in the street with Seguin and Flaca was filmed on September 19. The reading of the letter to the Tennesseans also occurred around that timeframe. Unfortunately, LaJean was murdered on October 11. It was said that Wayne and Cristal were at the Sabinal location when Duke was informed of LaJean's murder.

And, the four year sentence is incorrect. He was sentenced to 30 years in Huntsville prison. Smith copped a plea just before the official trial. According to Defense attorney Seaman, it was in order to "Save the state money and avoid damaging the reputation of a dead girl." In my opinion, there is much more to this story than what was reported. I go into some additional detail about this situation in my book but cannot share EVERYTHING as I wish to protect reputations and avoid lawsuits. LOL!
MUSTANG

Postby gh1836 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:04 pm

Thanks John. Do you know the day they shot the Mrs Guy Scene?
Gary Heck
gh1836

Postby MUSTANG on Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:31 pm

While I don't have the exact date, I would imagine it would have had to been filmed either between September 16 and 25, or between October 7 and 10. The reason I say this is that between September 26 and October 6, Wayne was filming night scenes in the village: The Cantina sequences, feather fight, table-top dance, Emil Sand confrontation, etc.
MUSTANG

Postby MAC on Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:09 pm

Davy wrote:Hmm ...heres one with that name Chester Smith associated with the Alamo film ... according to

Davy

Hello all. New to the group.

I'm 99.9% certain the Chester Smith listed by IMDb is NOT the murderer, a totally different person.

He was very successful in the music business in California.

MAC
MAC

Postby SantaClaus on Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:22 pm

MAC wrote:
Davy wrote:Hmm ...heres one with that name Chester Smith associated with the Alamo film ... according to

Davy

Hello all. New to the group.

I'm 99.9% certain the Chester Smith listed by IMDb is NOT the murderer, a totally different person.

He was very successful in the music business in California.

MAC

Mac, Who does the pronoun "He" refer to as being successful in the music business in California? Is "He" the Chester Smith that you're 99.9% sure is NOT the murderer, or is "He" the Chester Smith who IS the murderer?
Richard McClory
SantaClaus

Next

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )