People Involved In The Production Of The Film.

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Postby AlamoMo on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:17 pm

Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Re: People Involved In The Production Of The Film.

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:32 am

In this John Jensen conceptual painting for THE ALAMO, Mexican cavalry coming over the palisade go down in a pile.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:55 am

SHE'S A BIG ONE, DAVY! Another John Jenson conceptual painting for THE ALAMO.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:15 am

NefariousNed

Postby MUSTANG on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:04 pm

We're still trying to identify the names of all the individuals who appear in the photo at the top of this page. We've named 18 or so. Anyhelp on the rest is greatly appreciated.
MUSTANG

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:12 am

The amazing three: John Wayne, Dimitri Tiomkin and James Edward Grant.
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:15 am

That´s for sure! - And Wayne made a good choice when he got Tiomkin to compose the music. It´s fabulous!
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby AlamoMo on Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:59 pm

Hi John & Ned

Is this a better size for you ????

Regards

Mo

Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:00 pm

Interesting. Ken Curtis (above the "B" in Bound) has a full beard here, much like his Festus character in Gunsmoke. So, just why did they make him shave it off? In the Brian Huberman documentary where Bill Daniels is talking about about Richard Boone's full beard, he says he told Wayne "As your historian, I don't believe he (Houston) wore a full beard, so they shaved it off of him." Good going, Bill Daniels. A full bearded Sam Houston would've been a deal closer to right that a completely clean shaven one.
NefariousNed

Postby MUSTANG on Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:41 am

Okay, here are 18 names:
Starting up front, they include Mickey Finn, John Dierkes, Fred Graham, Gil Perkins, Ken Curtis, Ed Jeareau, Denver Pyle, (then skipping to the far right), Ted White and Danny Borzage. Up on the steps to the left is a young Joe Canutt. Down in the middle is a grizzled Buff Brady. Above Brady in a patterned shirt and straw hat, is Little Bill Shannon. Next to him is Jester Hairston. Above Jester is Leroy Johnson. To the right of Leroy is Hank Worden. At the top left (in white shirt) is Jim Burk. Next to him is John Bear Hudkins. In the back, just exiting the door, is Bob Morgan.

That's all folks!
MUSTANG

Who was Tom Carlisle?

Postby Bucko on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:01 am

I remember in the 1980's interviewing a person in New York City, about a block from office, by the name of Tom Carlisle. I'm not sure if The Grone was with me or not. He had something to do with The Alamo and I'm not even sure if this is the right spelling. He was really a nice guy and willing to talk about the film at length. Can anybody shed any light on him for me?
Bucko

Re: Who was Tom Carlisle?

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:05 am

I think he was part of the publicity team. He was a major player in the production. I'll see what I can find.
RLC-GTT

Postby bgroneman on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:10 am

Phil,

I definitely was not with you. I think Tom Carlisle put together the Press Release book for the film.
bgroneman

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:25 am

bgroneman wrote:Phil,

I definitely was not with you. I think Tom Carlisle put together the Press Release book for the film.

This is exactly what I thought too, but I can't find his name in the book anywhere. Perhaps I saw it in Frank's Alamo Movies book or in John Wayne's The Alamo book, but I'm at home and they are both at the village.
RLC-GTT

Postby alamobill on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:38 am

Tom Carlisle was part of the publicity team and was one of the writers Russell Birdwell hired to put together the Alamo Press Release book (aka "the Bible"). I have a copy of a letter dated 4/11/1960 from Russell Birdwell to Tom Carlisle as well as an early draft copy of the press release. It is full of corrections and changes that Birdwell wanted made. Quite interesting.
alamobill

Postby Bucko on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:31 am

Sounds about right. I do remember something about the Press Release Book. Thanks, guys. I wish I had kept all my old Alamo stuff. I do also remember he had something to do with the James Bond movies. His office had posters all over it from recent films, including quite a few of the Bond films. Grone, I know we were together in Michael Uslan and Ben Melniker's offices in NYC. Isn't that wher we signed the "Roll Call..." contracts? We were also at Uslan's home in Cedar Grove, NJ. I know that's when Eisner was coming over to Disney, because Uslan knew Eisner and was happy about it.

I wish my memory was better and I had kept all my old Alamo stuff. I do have the "Roll Call.." scripts as well as the contract and I also have the "Seguin" scripts and correspondence from Jesus Trevino, and David Zucker's letter and order form for "Alamo Soldiers" (he was the first person to buy the book). Other than that, I have copies of the Alamo II newsletters and some letters from the head of the WW II Alamo Scouts organization, and that's about it. Pity, I had so much more stuff, but as the kids came, I had to make room. (I still do have all my Disney Davy Crockett lunchboxes, comics, books, Marx playset, cards, and some premier books from The Alamo (1960) and they'll have to "pry my cold, dead hands" off of that stuff before I give that up!)

Thanks to the Nefarious One, Craig Covner and Mad Mike Boldt, I was able to once again get my hands on some videos (remember "Alamo II" and the 1980 reenactment, the only one I have ever done and will do) and newspaper clippings concerning moi and the Alamo. By the way, those three guys, all original members of Alamo International and frequent contributors to the newsletter, are among the most generous Alamo guys ever, and any of you who are friends with them are very lucky. Talk about meeting some great people because of interest in the Alamo...
Bucko

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:58 pm

Amen about Nef, Craig and Mike.
RLC-GTT

Postby Bucko on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:44 pm

Ray and Laurence Golbey from England, Don Clarke from Tulsa, Kaj Andersen from Denmark have also been much generoso. FYI, the original members of Alamo international, with our first newsletter, Alamo II, billed as the "counter culture Alamo newsletter"coming out in March 1980 were an illustrious group indeed. The original charter members were Mike and Phil Boldt, Don Clark, Bryan Headley, John Hubbel (another of our partners in mirth at the 1980 renactment), Brian Huberman, Nefarious Ned, Kenny Pruitt, Art Rostel, Kevin Young and myself. Mike Waters, though not a member, was very gracious, as our newsletter was a supplement to his work, which, I believe, was integral in the reenactment and later events. Over the next few months, Ray Golbey joined and we presented a preview of "Seguin" from information Jesus Trevino had sent me. We also spent some time with Valentino Hernandez, who was working at Alamo Village and would have a nice part in the film. Tony Pasqua joined and then came Bill Beach, Kaj Andersen, Craig and Nina, Tom Madsen, Ray Herbeck, Jr. Later on came such notables as Joe Musso, Mike Bacarella, Charles Long, Tom Feeley, Bill Chemerka, the aforementioned Tom Carlisle and so many others joined. It was fitting when I handed over the reins of AI, it was to Bill C. for the January 26, 1985 issue. Not long after, about a year, he founded the Alamo Society and The Alamo Journal which, to this day, is the best resource available on all things Alamo. The writing was certainly in a lot of ways, counter culture, but it was sometimes funny and irreverant but always honoring the memory, poignant, and sometimes dwonright serious with great news on current and historical events related to the subject. And it was damn fine writing. A lot of us cut our writing teeth on The Alamo News and it spurred us on to bigger things.
Bucko

Hollywood horse trainer Corky Randall dies

Postby Cole_blooded on Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:48 am

One of the greats passed away recently Corky Randall! Among his credits was The Alamo

TED COLE....aka....Cole_blooded 8-)

Hollywood horse trainer Corky Randall dies
'Indiana Jones,' 'How the West Was Won' among credits

By Mike Barnes
April 27, 2009

Buford "Corky" Randall, a horse trainer in Hollywood for a half-century, died April 20 in Newhall, Calif., after a prolonged illness with cancer. He was 80.

Randall's career included feature films "The Alamo" (1960), "The Misfits" (1961), "How the West Was Won" (1962), "Soldier Blue" (1970), "Hot to Trot" (1988), "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" (1989), "Buffalo Girls" (1995) and "The Mask of Zorro" (1998) and the 1950s TV shows "Spin & Marty" and "Zorro."

However, it was the film adaptation of Walter Farley's novel "The Black Stallion" that established Randall as a a trainer in his own right. Released in 1979, the Carroll Ballard-directed production (executive produced by Francis Ford Coppola) contained some of the most challenging horse scenes ever filmed.

Years later, Randall described the black Arabian stallion who starred in the film (the horse's real name was Cass-ole) as his all-time favorite horse actor. "He was so smart and such a character," Randall told journalist Elizabeth Kaye McCall. "He was almost human."

"Corky was a fantastic horseman with generations of knowledge and wonderful stories from a lifetime of working in the strange and demanding world of horse movies," said Tim Farley, son of the late author and president of Florida-based Black Stallion Inc. "All of us who love horses and been have carried away by the excitement and beauty we see on the screen can think of Corky. He was one of the most generous people I've ever met."

A native of Gering, Neb., Randall was diagnosed with polio as a child. Rather than following the prescribed treatments of the day (metal spikes in legs), his father insisted the boy exercise. By age 10, Corky was galloping thoroughbred colts each morning before school for his father, Glenn Randall Sr., who trained Roy Rogers' Trigger (and even housebroke the horse) and worked horses for the 1959 classic "Ben Hur." The younger Randall then went to work at Republic Studios during high school.

For the animated feature logo Pegasus that TriStar Pictures used for its film label, Randall used the same white Arabian horse that appeared in "The Black Stallion Returns" (1983) as the Black Stallion's love interest. Filming was done on the Randall Ranch in Newhall outside Los Angeles.

Randall was a two-time winner of the Patsy Award (once the animal trainers' Oscar) and recipient of the Humanitarian Award in 1982 from what was then the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Los Angeles.

A memorial service for Randall is set for 10 a.m. May 8 at Eternal Valley Memorial Park & Mortuary in Newhall.

The Hollywood Reporter
Cole_blooded

Re: Hollywood horse trainer Corky Randall dies

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:13 am

Thanks, Ted, for posting this. Happy and Virginia knew Corky Randall well -- really liked him. I'll see that Virginia gets a copy of this. I met him on The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory. He could be found most often bending Ethan Wayne's ear with stories from The Alamo.
RLC-GTT

Postby Davy on Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:46 am

Sad news indeed ... they seem to be dropping regular like now in that generation! I will sure miss em ... they represent my youth fleeing away at a rapid rate. :cry: May God rest his soul!

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:43 pm

So many of the behind the scene players never get the recognition that make the "STARS" look good. With very few westerns being made, a good horse trainer is sadly going to be missed. Please pass on my sincerest condolences to the family.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby zapadore on Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:17 pm

...here here!....
zapadore

Postby MUSTANG on Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:08 pm

Yes indeed!!
MUSTANG

Postby NefariousNed on Fri May 01, 2009 5:48 am

Something from Rich Curilla...

Here is a photo I took in '86 on 13 Days of Virginia and Happy with Corky Randall (in baseball cap).
Rich
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri May 01, 2009 6:58 am

Thanks, Nef. Virginia really got nostalgic today when I showed her this photo. They both really liked Corky, and it was easy to see why. I found him to have a very friendly nature.
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Tue May 05, 2009 9:35 pm

Russel Birdwell ad for THE ALAMO. OUCH! Thanks a lot, Russel. :roll:
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Mon May 25, 2009 2:37 pm

Cinematographer William H. "Bill" Clothier sets the Duke straight.

Although nominated for an Academy Award for his masterful work on THE ALAMO, Clothier lost out to Russel Metty for SPARTACUS.
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue May 26, 2009 1:06 am

nefarious wrote:Image
Cinematographer William H. "Bill" Clothier sets the Duke straight.

And, of course, that's Jimmy Grant in between them.
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Wed May 27, 2009 3:09 pm

John "Pappy Ford" holds up one of John Jensen's conceptual paintings for THE ALAMO. Wayne had hoped to match both the
drama and the scope of Jensen's envisionments. To paraphrase Laurence Harvey, as Travis, "He seems to have accomplished
that."
NefariousNed

Postby Rick on Wed May 27, 2009 4:16 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Rick on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I haven't seen the Democrats this angry since we freed the slaves."
Rick

Postby Seguin on Wed May 27, 2009 4:38 pm

Great photo. I´ve never seen it before. They seem to have some trouble with the cannon in the background.
Thanks, Ned...
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed May 27, 2009 11:22 pm

Seguin wrote:Great photo. I´ve never seen it before. They seem to have some trouble with the cannon in the background.
Thanks, Ned...

Looks to me like the special effects team is prepping Travis' cannon for the scene where they fire it at the breach as the Mexicans are running through -- just before Dickinson is killed.
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:22 pm

Russell Birdwell: Did some of his over the top publicity hurt THE ALAMO?
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:23 pm

Russell Birdwell newspaper piece for THE ALAMO.
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:57 am

Nice newspaper ad. It clearly make Wayne´s ideas and viewpoint come across.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:59 pm

Another Russell Birdwell ad of questionable taste. (Duke seems to like it, though.)
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:43 am

That´s some headline! :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby MUSTANG on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:25 pm

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I would like to bring up John Ford once again and discuss his involvement in The Alamo. As you may know, Dan Ford, grandson of John Ford, wrote the book "Pappy." I have been fortunate enough to be able to obtain over 400+ pages of transcripts to interviews he conducted while doing research for this book. There has always been one scene in particular that we feel must have been "directed" by Ford as the cinematic aspects of the scene seem to be very familiar to the remainder of his body of work. And that is the scene in which the Mexican soldiers are retreating after the first assault and their reflections are seen on the water of a pond as they walk by. In an interview Wayne gave to Dan Ford, he states the following," As a matter of fact - Mexican - the Mexican troops, they would hit this thing and when the camera would hit this thing when the sunlight was such we would get a reflection. And I had Cliff Lyons, the second unit director and so Jack (Ford) went out with Cliff and they did that scene and they did a retreating scene of the women and the men coming back from the first assault and it was a beautifully done thing. He did those things for me on the picture. Jesus Christ, the next thing I know it's John Ford, director." Seems like he is referring to the pond reflection scene. And that's the name of that tune.

Your thoughts???
MUSTANG

Postby Davy on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:51 pm

John I have allus felt Ford played a bigger part in the film than what has been told ... even if it is in the manner of moral support . Wayne simply benefited immensely from Ford expertise in many ways I think! :( :D

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Next

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )