VHS transfer to DVD of Director's Cut of THE ALAMO

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

VHS transfer to DVD of Director's Cut of THE ALAMO

Postby etheridge on Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:15 pm

I'm sure this has been asked many times,however as a new member may i ask again.
Does anyone know of any privately transferred from vhs to dvd of the complete film.
I do have a transfer but not wholly successful.
etheridge
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:48 pm

Re: transfer

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:06 pm

There actually was a DVD created by some Hong Kong organization of the 192 minute version of the movie, but it not good image quality, particularly on modern equipment, and has some sound issues. My guess is that it was a pirated dub from the MGM/UA laser disc of the director's cut done in 1990. In any event, I don't know how you would find one of these, and it has absolutely no company information on it. But I know you said "privately transfered from VHS" and I do not know of any. Perhaps one of the other forum members might be able to help.
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17642
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: transfer

Postby mrbassbone on Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:48 pm

There are several members who have dvd copies make from the laser disk of the unedited version of Duke's THE ALAMO.
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
User avatar
mrbassbone
 
Posts: 2897
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:52 pm

Re: transfer

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:13 am

RLC-GTT wrote:There actually was a DVD created by some Hong Kong organization of the 192 minute version of the movie, but it not good image quality, particularly on modern equipment, and has some sound issues. My guess is that it was a pirated dub from the MGM/UA laser disc of the director's cut done in 1990. In any event, I don't know how you would find one of these, and it has absolutely no company information on it. But I know you said "privately transfered from VHS" and I do not know of any. Perhaps one of the other forum members might be able to help.


Rich, you are correct. I have one of those Asian copies, and though it played fine on a regular dvd player, it will not play at all on a Blu-ray player. And I did do a vhs to dvd transfer of the Directors Cut a couple of years ago and it came out pretty good. I used 2 discs at the 2 hour mode to get the best pq. On the first disc, it ends at the intermission. On the second, it starts up with the intermission music and goes into the 2nd half of the movie. Unfortunately, I don't have the dvd recorder anymore. It was taking up space and I got rid of it. But I do have a copy of the long version on dvd and it looks good. Also have a dvd copy of the laserdisc version that Davy made for me a few years back.
TexianAtHeartII
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:26 am
Location: Westland, Mi

Re: transfer

Postby mrbassbone on Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:29 am

TexianAtHeartII wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:There actually was a DVD created by some Hong Kong organization of the 192 minute version of the movie, but it not good image quality, particularly on modern equipment, and has some sound issues. My guess is that it was a pirated dub from the MGM/UA laser disc of the director's cut done in 1990. In any event, I don't know how you would find one of these, and it has absolutely no company information on it. But I know you said "privately transfered from VHS" and I do not know of any. Perhaps one of the other forum members might be able to help.


Rich, you are correct. I have one of those Asian copies, and though it played fine on a regular dvd player, it will not play at all on a Blu-ray player. And I did do a vhs to dvd transfer of the Directors Cut a couple of years ago and it came out pretty good. I used 2 discs at the 2 hour mode to get the best pq. On the first disc, it ends at the intermission. On the second, it starts up with the intermission music and goes into the 2nd half of the movie. Unfortunately, I don't have the dvd recorder anymore. It was taking up space and I got rid of it. But I do have a copy of the long version on dvd and it looks good. Also have a dvd copy of the laserdisc version that Davy made for me a few years back.


Mine is the same laser disc version from Davy.
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
User avatar
mrbassbone
 
Posts: 2897
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:52 pm

Re: transfer

Postby Dakota Jeff on Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:14 pm

Yes, Davy was kind enough to send me the long version on DVD. He is a very classy guy.
Dakota Jeff
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:45 pm

Re: transfer

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:23 am

mrbassbone wrote:
TexianAtHeartII wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:There actually was a DVD created by some Hong Kong organization of the 192 minute version of the movie, but it not good image quality, particularly on modern equipment, and has some sound issues. My guess is that it was a pirated dub from the MGM/UA laser disc of the director's cut done in 1990. In any event, I don't know how you would find one of these, and it has absolutely no company information on it. But I know you said "privately transfered from VHS" and I do not know of any. Perhaps one of the other forum members might be able to help.


Rich, you are correct. I have one of those Asian copies, and though it played fine on a regular dvd player, it will not play at all on a Blu-ray player. And I did do a vhs to dvd transfer of the Directors Cut a couple of years ago and it came out pretty good. I used 2 discs at the 2 hour mode to get the best pq. On the first disc, it ends at the intermission. On the second, it starts up with the intermission music and goes into the 2nd half of the movie. Unfortunately, I don't have the dvd recorder anymore. It was taking up space and I got rid of it. But I do have a copy of the long version on dvd and it looks good. Also have a dvd copy of the laserdisc version that Davy made for me a few years back.


Mine is the same laser disc version from Davy.


:o What! You mean there's more out there? And all this time I thought mine was exclusive. Oh, the horror of it all.
TexianAtHeartII
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:26 am
Location: Westland, Mi

Re: transfer

Postby Pudman on Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:46 pm

I also have the "Director's Cut" laserdisc. Still plays! Watch it during HHD's. Thank goodness it has cannot wear out! No laser rot.
Pudman
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:37 pm
Location: Natchez, Mississippi

Re: VHS transfer to DVD of Director's Cut of THE ALAMO

Postby mdamata on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:28 pm

Hello all,

I also have the laser disc directors cut and I used to watch it all the time, that is until my laserdisc player broke. I have been hoping to see this version come on DVD. Reading some of the news that it looks like it might not is very disheartening. Is there a way to obtain a copy of it on DVD? I would gladly pay for it.

Thanks,
Michael
mdamata
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:56 am

Re: VHS transfer to DVD of Director's Cut of THE ALAMO

Postby simond9x on Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:04 pm

I joined this forum the other day so am new to some of these discussions which have taken place over the years. Apologies to all if this subject has already reached its 'sell by' date.

As some have posted in this and other threads, 'private transfers' of the full version of the film are out there, seemingly taken from the old VHS/Laserdisc version. In the absence of any official reconstruction of the film, is there any willingness to share these 'private transfers' within the community? I'd certainly love to see the long version at some point. Technologies (Dropbox, Google Drive WeShare, etc) exist which allow files to be shared across the internet. Just wondered if it had been tried?
simond9x
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:03 pm

Re: VHS transfer to DVD of Director's Cut of THE ALAMO

Postby mrbassbone on Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:55 am

simond9x wrote:I joined this forum the other day so am new to some of these discussions which have taken place over the years. Apologies to all if this subject has already reached its 'sell by' date.

As some have posted in this and other threads, 'private transfers' of the full version of the film are out there, seemingly taken from the old VHS/Laserdisc version. In the absence of any official reconstruction of the film, is there any willingness to share these 'private transfers' within the community? I'd certainly love to see the long version at some point. Technologies (Dropbox, Google Drive WeShare, etc) exist which allow files to be shared across the internet. Just wondered if it had been tried?


Some have made DVD transfers from the laser disc versions and have shared them when meeting in San Antonio during HHD's.
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
User avatar
mrbassbone
 
Posts: 2897
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:52 pm

Re: VHS transfer to DVD of Director's Cut of THE ALAMO

Postby simond9x on Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:24 pm

Thanks mrbassbone. I'm actually in the UK but next time I'm in Texas....... ;)

Since I posted, I found a new (ie.shrink-wrapped) VHS copy of the uncut, full-length film which is now winging its way to me from Florida. I plan to convert this to the best quality digital format that I can. Could I ask the forum if it would be acceptable to offer this transfer - free of charge - as a download to members of this forum who (like me) may be struggling to find an uncut copy? I don't want to deprive any company of income, and I'm aware that copying is forbidden, so it would have to be done on trust that people have already paid for a commercial copy of the film (I can't imagine that anyone here hasn't). But, equally, I don't want to tread on anyone's toes..... The download would be outside of this forum so no 'blame' could attach if the powers that be are unhappy. Anyway, appreciate guidance on this one please.
simond9x
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:03 pm

Re: VHS transfer to DVD of Director's Cut of THE ALAMO

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:17 am

I'd love to see the full version of the film.

For what it's worth, simond9x, I'd be more than happy to pay for a copy of that transfer if you're still interested.
DukeCrockett93
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Re: VHS transfer to DVD of Director's Cut of THE ALAMO

Postby DocWylie on Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:38 am

DukeCrockett93 wrote:I'd love to see the full version of the film.

For what it's worth, simond9x, I'd be more than happy to pay for a copy of that transfer if you're still interested.


Me too!
User avatar
DocWylie
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: VHS transfer to DVD of Director's Cut of THE ALAMO

Postby AlamoAaron on Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:37 pm

DukeCrockett93 wrote:I'd love to see the full version of the film.

For what it's worth, simond9x, I'd be more than happy to pay for a copy of that transfer if you're still interested.


The director's cut is available on VHS on amazon.
AlamoAaron
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:58 am

Re: VHS transfer to DVD of Director's Cut of THE ALAMO

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:57 am

I've had the VHS copy of The Directors Cut for years, since it was first released. A couple of years ago, at a garage sale, I bought a second copy for $4. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. Can never have enough.
TexianAtHeartII
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:26 am
Location: Westland, Mi

Re: VHS transfer to DVD of Director's Cut of THE ALAMO

Postby AlamoMo on Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:08 pm

Sadly I lost my VHS copy of the long version in our house flood back in 2012 :( :( :( :(

Thankfully the laser disc version was kept upstairs

Mo
Attachments
The Alamo Long Version Mo's VHS Video.jpg
The Alamo Long Version Mo's VHS Video.jpg (495.9 KiB) Viewed 3598 times
Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
User avatar
AlamoMo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2529
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:26 pm
Location: Aberystwyth Mid Wales UK

Re: transfer

Postby AlamoAaron on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:23 am

Pudman wrote:I also have the "Director's Cut" laserdisc. Still plays! Watch it during HHD's. Thank goodness it has cannot wear out! No laser rot.


What exactly is HHD?
AlamoAaron
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:58 am

Re: transfer

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:28 am

AlamoAaron wrote:
Pudman wrote:I also have the "Director's Cut" laserdisc. Still plays! Watch it during HHD's. Thank goodness it has cannot wear out! No laser rot.


What exactly is HHD?


The Alamo "High Holy Days", from February 23 thru March 6th.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
User avatar
NefariousNed
Moderator
 
Posts: 51786
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: VHS transfer to DVD of Director's Cut of THE ALAMO

Postby SantaClaus on Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:07 am

AlamoMo wrote:Sadly I lost my VHS copy of the long version in our house flood back in 2012 :( :( :( :(

Thankfully the laser disc version was kept upstairs

Mo

That ain't no fair way to fight a war. :cry:
Richard McClory
User avatar
SantaClaus
 
Posts: 1470
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:43 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: VHS transfer to DVD of Director's Cut of THE ALAMO

Postby AlamoAaron on Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:34 pm

SantaClaus wrote:
AlamoMo wrote:Sadly I lost my VHS copy of the long version in our house flood back in 2012 :( :( :( :(

Thankfully the laser disc version was kept upstairs

Mo

That ain't no fair way to fight a war. :cry:
Richard McClory


:lol:
AlamoAaron
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:58 am

Re: VHS transfer to DVD of Director's Cut of THE ALAMO

Postby simond9x on Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:32 pm

Well, the VHS copy duly arrived and I've had it professionally transferred to a digital copy. I've got to say, I'm disappointed with the results. To give an indication, if the quality of the commercially available shorter DVD version is, say, 10/10, then I'd say that the quality of the VHS tape was probably 7 or 8/10 - the image was less sharp and slightly 'grainy'. However, I'd rate the digital transfer as only a 5 or 6/10 as it's even less sharp than the VHS tape and certainly not as good as the 'deleted/extended scenes' that I've since found on Youtube (that I'd rate as around 8/10). All very disappointing really.

BUT, it IS still very watchable so will do for me on those occasions that I want to watch the uncut version. If there is anyone out there who has struggled to get hold of the uncut version, I'll happily send them (electronically) a copy of what I've got if they contact me off-list.
simond9x
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:03 pm

Re: VHS transfer to DVD of Director's Cut of THE ALAMO

Postby John on Sun May 14, 2017 4:12 pm

Having bought the video version of the director's cut and a laser disc player to play the laser disc version, I was still not satisfied with the on screen results as they were all below what we have come to expect from DVD.
I watched it once on the released DVD and although I liked the picture quality, I felt cheated at losing so much of the film and I won't watch the DVD again.
Some while ago I transferred the laser to DVD and although it saved me getting the laser player out every time, quality was still disappointing.
Like everyone else these days I have a flat screen TV which has loads of features I don't understand and never used.
Following a post of a few weeks back, I thought I'd try playing around with the settings using my DVD with the laser version.
By boosting all sorts of things and changing black levels and stuff I had never heard of, my DVD is now giving me a picture that I can certainly live with. It's pretty sharp, good contrast and colours and a hefty surround sound and by zooming I can lose the black side bars.
Not perfect but very acceptable, so I would encourage anyone who hasn't already, to get a laser version onto DVD and get fiddling with those settings!

I have also just bought a very acceptable copy of The Last Command. I already have it copied from TV and another I bought commercially but I think it is also off the television. Both versions show Travis being shot but cut the bit where he faces the camera with the bullet wound in his head. My new version seems to leave nothing out and the sleeve says it was taken from a 35mm original -- the picture quality suggests this is true.
The bar code is 8023562008545 and if you paste it into Google, you will find resellers.
John
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:39 am


Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests