The Alamo Film Winning The Oscar For Sound

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

The Alamo Film Winning The Oscar For Sound

Postby AlamoMo on Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:56 pm

Gill here and we thought you might enjoy this video from You Tube

The Alamo Film A Little Piece Of Oscar History

Paula Prentiss and Jim Hutton presenting the Samuel Goldwyn Studio Sound Department (Gordon E. Sawyer, Sound Director)
and Todd-AO Sound Department (Fred Hynes, Sound Director) the Oscar® for Sound for "The Alamo" at the 33rd Academy
Awards in 1961 which was hosted by Bob Hope.

" The Alamo Film Winning The Oscar For Sound “

Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Re: The Alamo Film Winning The Oscar For Sound

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:10 pm

Nice, Mo & Gill! Since that was the only Oscar awarded THE ALAMO, those two acceptees should've stayed onstage at least a minute!
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:31 pm

Thanks, Mo and Gill. Happy and Virginia Shahan were in that audience somewhere.
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:06 pm

Sawyer and Hynes sitting on the aisle, close to the stage. I don't know if that was the protocol back then but potential winners were seated for easy access in the event they won.
MUSTANG

Postby SantaClaus on Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:41 pm

Wonderful acceptance speeches! Unforgettable. How about the orchestra's rendition of "The Ballad of the Alamo" playing in the background like some kind of cartoon music.
Thanks for posting the clip.
Richard McClory
SantaClaus

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:29 pm

Where's the one where they win the Oscar for Best Picture?
DukeCrockett93

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:31 pm

Talk to the Academy. I've certainly lost all faith in them over the years. IMO, they're not about movies. They're about Hollywood politics.
RLC-GTT

Postby MartyB on Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:10 pm

It would have been nice to see the Duke and Company win the big one...

But Rich is right...It's almost always 'Hollywood Politics'....Shame....
Attachments
000(0)(0)1a(1)a_A_ a1 JWAlamoOscarNom2.jpg
000(0)(0)1a(1)a_A_ a1 JWAlamoOscarNom2.jpg (131.01 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
Marty Brazil
Our past is not a dead past, but still lives. Our forefathers created the present by their sacrifice of the past. What they dreamed, we live…and…what they lived we dream.
MartyB

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:07 am

Putting the considerable talent and artistry that went into the film aside, one of the things that I loved about "The Alamo" is not once did it scream Oscar-bait [like a lot films do nowadays].

Duke made this one for the people, not for the critics or the members of the academy.

These are the types of films I like.
Last edited by DukeCrockett93 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
DukeCrockett93

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:08 am

DukeCrockett93 wrote:Putting the considerable talent and artistry that went into the film aside, one of the things that I loved about "The Alamo" is not once did it scream Oscar-bait [like a lot films do nowadays].

Duke made this one for the people, not for the critics or the members of the academy.

DukeCrockett93

Postby SantaClaus on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:53 am

DukeCrockett93 wrote:Despite the considerable talent and artistry that went into the film, one of the things that I loved about "The Alamo" is not once did it scream Oscar-bait [like a lot films do nowadays].

Serious question. What does "scream Oscar-bait" mean? If that means what I think it do, then I might have to disagree with you on that.
Richard McClory
SantaClaus

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:22 am

Well, I'm not going to name names but there are a lot of films nowadays that I consider to be too self-important and pseudo intellectual when they really don't need to be. They employ a lot of camera techniques that are very showy and detract from the film. A lot of them have ambiguous endings for the sake of having ambiguous endings or try and make sure they avoid the "generic Hollywood ending". They are done by directors trying too hard to be unique and different rather than artists collaborating to genuinely tell a story, no matter how derivative or original it is.

Of course, you could argue that a lot of the speechifying in "The Alamo" is self-important but it carries with it a certain conviction that I think is not only missing from some of the films I have in mind but is backed up by the actions of the characters. There's also Chill Wills' Oscar campaign that also goes against what I'm saying. However, for some of the issues I do have with it, not once did I feel that "The Alamo" was trying too hard to stand out, it was trying to tell an engaging story by a director who really believed in it. For me, that's the sign of a very secure and confident director. All the filmic elements that came together did so in the name of telling a good story that you could come back to again and again and not to try and be unique, artsy and unconventional for their own sake. Both John Ford and Howard Hawks were also very unpretentious in their storytelling [one of the main reasons why they are amongst my favourite directors] and Wayne may have carried that over into his turn as director.

To sum it all up, "scream Oscar-bait", aside from being made for the academy rather than the people, means that the film is trying too hard to get cute with its audience, which I'm not sure if that's what you had in mind.
DukeCrockett93

Postby SantaClaus on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:43 am

DukeCrockett93 wrote:

To sum it all up, "scream Oscar-bait", aside from being made for the academy rather than the people, means that the film is trying too hard to get cute with its audience, which I'm not sure if that's what you had in mind.

After giving it a lot of thought, I understand what you're saying (I think), and I agree with you.
Richard McClory
SantaClaus

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:49 am

DukeCrockett93 wrote:A lot of them have ambiguous endings for the sake of having ambiguous endings or try and make sure they avoid the "generic Hollywood ending".

Duke's never seen 2001: A Space Odyssey. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:07 am

RLC-GTT wrote:
DukeCrockett93 wrote:A lot of them have ambiguous endings for the sake of having ambiguous endings or try and make sure they avoid the "generic Hollywood ending".

You're right. I've seen it three times and it still feels like I haven't seen it yet. :?

The only ambiguous endings that have truly worked for me and actually felt like they were a natural progression of the story are the endings to "City Lights" and John Carpenter's "The Thing".
DukeCrockett93

Postby SantaClaus on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:39 am

RLC-GTT wrote:

My mind is going. I can feel it. Stop, Dave. Daisy...Daisy...

Speaking of The Alamo and it's Oscar winning sound, my son 8-) bought me a sound bar with a woofer. I think I finally heard the shot that kills Dickinson. Not being Surround Sound, the shot doesn't come from behind me. I recall your saying "from behind my left ear". Because the shot comes from below the picture, it makes Dickinson seem to have a delayed reaction to getting shot. That's better than before my improved sound system, when Dickinson appeared to have died of a sudden heart attack. :o
Richard McClory
SantaClaus

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:10 pm

HAL probably compromised your sound system to make it look like Dickinson died of a heart attack. :shock:
DukeCrockett93

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )