John Farkis' revised book

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

John Farkis' revised book

Postby DocWylie on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:18 am

John, can you enlighten us on the status of your revised book, Alamo Village: How a Texas Cattleman Brought Holywood to the Old West? Inquiring minds want to know. :)
User avatar
DocWylie
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby MUSTANG on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:49 am

Well, Doc. I just wrapped up the book this past weekend. Finalizing the end notes and bibliography. I'll shoot it off to the publisher shortly and start to work on where the photos should be inserted. In my opinion, it's much better than the old version. Our good friend, Mike Boldt created both the front and back covers and they are fantastic!!! There is a great deal of additional information on Ft. Clark and Brackettville as well as new interviews. I've also pulled some of the information from "Not Thinkin'.... and included it where applicable. I don't have a final count yet but I believe I've added another 150 photos in addition to what was originally included. With luck it will be published late this year. Thanks for asking.
User avatar
MUSTANG
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:49 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby Rick on Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:12 am

How much will this one weigh? I use Not Thinkin' . . . as a handweight for tricep kickbacks, but it's too heavy for wrist curls.
Last edited by Rick on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:48 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:51 am

John's a mighty weighty fellow. ;)
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17649
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby MUSTANG on Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:33 pm

Awwwwwwww, you guys! :lol: :lol:
User avatar
MUSTANG
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:49 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:28 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:John's a mighty weighty fellow. ;)

...and he probably does get a lot of "kickbacks." ;)
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17649
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby DocWylie on Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:51 am

MUSTANG wrote:Well, Doc. I just wrapped up the book this past weekend. Finalizing the end notes and bibliography. I'll shoot it off to the publisher shortly and start to work on where the photos should be inserted. In my opinion, it's much better than the old version. Our good friend, Mike Boldt created both the front and back covers and they are fantastic!!! There is a great deal of additional information on Ft. Clark and Brackettville as well as new interviews. I've also pulled some of the information from "Not Thinkin'.... and included it where applicable. I don't have a final count yet but I believe I've added another 150 photos in addition to what was originally included. With luck it will be published late this year. Thanks for asking.


Thanks, John. Like many others, I'm eagerly awaiting the book.
User avatar
DocWylie
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby Rick on Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:25 am

Here are the front and back covers of the new Farkis book. Both were designed by Mike Boldt.

Image

Image
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:48 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby michaelalamo on Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:40 pm

Rick wrote:Here are the front and back covers of the new Farkis book. Both were designed by Mike Boldt.

Image

Image


Rick, thanks for the plug. It's always a pleasure working with John Farkis. He makes it easy. It's like working with Bill Chemerka and Bill Groneman...never any pressure. Again, thanks for the kind words.
Image
I didn't read it...I heard it !!!
User avatar
michaelalamo
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:50 pm

It's a good thing you were not designing this cover for Happy Shahan himself, Mike, or there might not be a picture of the Alamo on it at all. ;)
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
User avatar
NefariousNed
Moderator
 
Posts: 51786
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby AlamoMo on Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:19 pm

Well done there John

This is looking like another best seller I feel sure of that

Well done to you as well Mike with your cracking artwork and as Ned
said it is good to see a picture of the " Waynamo " on the cover.

I am like so many others no doubt awaiting news of when it hits the
book shelves.

Best wishes

Mo
Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
User avatar
AlamoMo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2529
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:26 pm
Location: Aberystwyth Mid Wales UK

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby michaelalamo on Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:04 pm

NefariousNed wrote:It's a good thing you were not designing this cover for Happy Shahan himself, Mike, or there might not be a picture of the Alamo on it at all. ;)

I could never understand why so little advertisement from Alamo Village didn't have the Alamo church in it. Well, hopefully we can fix that.
Image
I didn't read it...I heard it !!!
User avatar
michaelalamo
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby michaelalamo on Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:06 pm

AlamoMo wrote:Well done there John

This is looking like another best seller I feel sure of that

Well done to you as well Mike with your cracking artwork and as Ned
said it is good to see a picture of the " Waynamo " on the cover.

I am like so many others no doubt awaiting news of when it hits the
book shelves.

Best wishes

Mo

Thanks , Mo !!! I haven't been called "Cracking" in ...ohh...about 15 years or so. Looking forward to seeing you on the Perch for a rousing chorus of CHARLOTTE AT BRACKETTVILLE.
Image
I didn't read it...I heard it !!!
User avatar
michaelalamo
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby AlamoMo on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:03 pm

Yo Mike

Looking forward to meeting up with you and Nancy soon so I will get some practice in okay

No how could I not resist posting this below again my friend :) :) :) 8-)

My best to Nancy and yourself

Mo

“ Charlotte At Brackettville by Mike Boldt “



and of course this one as well man exciting times ahead shortly Mike :D :D

" THE PERCH at The Alamo (The MASTER VERSION) by Mike Boldt "

Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
User avatar
AlamoMo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2529
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:26 pm
Location: Aberystwyth Mid Wales UK

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby nybob on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:05 pm

Cracking Mike Boldt, I like it. Seriously the book looks great! And if its as big as the last one i'll use it when I work out. Bob
nybob
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:31 pm

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:23 am

I don't think any other author can claim to both intellectually AND physically engage their audience at the same time. Hats off to you, sir!
DukeCrockett93
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby MUSTANG on Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:55 pm

I don't know when it will be released but all I can say is that the manuscript is now in the hands of the publisher. I would imagine it will be sometime in late Fall. While the editor is doing his magic, I have to identify, caption and insert over 250+ photos and illustrations in the text. Takes thinkin' on. :lol: :lol: If anyone has any photos of the early days of Brackett, Fort Clark or Alamo Village that they would like me to consider, please feel free to shoot them off my way. I've already narrowed down my collection to 400 or so but I still need to determine the final cut!!!
User avatar
MUSTANG
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:49 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby MUSTANG on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:30 am

Well, here's the latest update on my revised book. I know there are one or two of you who may be interested. LOL! As I mentioned earlier, the manuscript is in the hands of the editor and we have been in contact. E-mails have been flying back and forth. I finally wrapped up all the photos; almost 500 made the first cut, although I had initially identified over 400. I had many, many more but it got to be way out of hand. All the captions are finished, photos cropped, enhanced and send to the editor. The original book consisted of 84 pages and 94 photos, maps and illustrations. The revised edition will contain about 310 photos and maps and will probably run 300+ pages. And, it appears that rather than 6" x 9" the new book will be 8 1/2" x 11". So, everything is finally finished. YES!!! I think it will be published in late Fall or early Winter, but no promises as Sam's a might prickly. As for my next project, I think I'll take piano lessons. :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
MUSTANG
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:49 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:53 am

Mustang
did u mention LT BLAKE
u men will follow me
in the new book :D :D :D :D :D
User avatar
whiterabbitt83
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: Oak Park mi/Austin TX

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:30 am

MUSTANG wrote:Well, here's the latest update on my revised book. I know there are one or two of you who may be interested. LOL! As I mentioned earlier, the manuscript is in the hands of the editor and we have been in contact. E-mails have been flying back and forth. I finally wrapped up all the photos; almost 500 made the first cut, although I had initially identified over 400. I had many, many more but it got to be way out of hand. All the captions are finished, photos cropped, enhanced and send to the editor. The original book consisted of 84 pages and 94 photos, maps and illustrations. The revised edition will contain about 310 photos and maps and will probably run 300+ pages. And, it appears that rather than 6" x 9" the new book will be 8 1/2" x 11". So, everything is finally finished. YES!!! I think it will be published in late Fall or early Winter, but no promises as Sam's a might prickly. As for my next project, I think I'll take piano lessons. :lol: :lol: :lol:


Piano lessons? OH, so you're going to have a soundtrack for the book.
TexianAtHeartII
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:26 am
Location: Westland, Mi

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:55 am

TexianAtHeartII wrote:Piano lessons? OH, so you're going to have a soundtrack for the book.

Shhhhhhhhh! NO suggestions!!!!! :lol:
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17649
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby MUSTANG on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:36 pm

Soundtrack. I like the sound of that word. It's a mighty fine idea, mighty fine.
User avatar
MUSTANG
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:49 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:55 pm

:roll: Now you've done it! Here we go again!
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17649
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby MUSTANG on Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:50 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
MUSTANG
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:49 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:13 pm

Your next book should be: "Alamo Buffs: Just Look what the Books and Movies Have DONE!"
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17649
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby ConnieFromHaiti on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:00 pm

MUSTANG wrote:Soundtrack. I like the sound of that word. It's a mighty fine idea, mighty fine.

And just how heavy would that CD set be anyway? ;)
User avatar
ConnieFromHaiti
 
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:22 pm
Location: Pennsylvania and Haiti

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:23 pm

Pretty heavy, I'm a-thinkin'. If the point is to give (or take) piano lessons, the guy's gonna have to include a piano in the package. ;)
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17649
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby MUSTANG on Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:18 am

At least nine or ten CD's.
User avatar
MUSTANG
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:49 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby Rick on Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:47 am

MUSTANG wrote:At least nine or ten CD's.

I bet the book's soundtrack album won't have the Ohio State fight song on it. In fact, I bet every selection on each CD will be The Victors.
Last edited by Rick on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:48 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby MUSTANG on Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:14 pm

Damn right!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
MUSTANG
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:49 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:20 pm

Hail to the Lions!!! :twisted:
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17649
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby cc nolen on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:29 pm

Tiger BAIT! :o
User avatar
cc nolen
 
Posts: 10111
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: West Monroe, Louisiana.......Land of Bowie

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:08 pm

:evil:
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17649
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:15 pm

MUSTANG wrote:And, it appears that rather than 6" x 9" the new book will be 8 1/2" x 11".

Great news! I hope this means that particularly appropriate photos will be hugely printed -- no postage stamp sizes on these. ;) (I exaggerate, but to make a point.)
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17649
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby Rick on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:29 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:
MUSTANG wrote:And, it appears that rather than 6" x 9" the new book will be 8 1/2" x 11".

Great news! I hope this means that particularly appropriate photos will be hugely printed -- no postage stamp sizes on these. ;) (I exaggerate, but to make a point.)

So true. I wonder if any extreme wide angle/panoramic shots will be run across two facing pages. That would help do them justice.
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:48 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:49 pm

Sure would.
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17649
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:50 pm

One neat aspect about the new edition of the Alamo Village book is that a lot of photos from members of the forum may be included to give
it a more personal touch.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
User avatar
NefariousNed
Moderator
 
Posts: 51786
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby MUSTANG on Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:43 am

Exactly. Several forum members have been most generous in allowing me to use their photos. And, as one of the complaints for "Not Rememberin...' was that the photos were so small that the detail was lost in the size, I insisted that this book be larger. They agreed. Some portrait direction photos may be full page, and some of the landscape ones may be as well. I just didn't want the reader to have to turn the book on its side to view every photo.
User avatar
MUSTANG
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:49 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:18 am

Yessssss! ;)
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17649
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: John Farkis' revised book

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:50 pm

Farkis at Fort Clark! Be there!
Attachments
14666120_10207427164868508_4099818010985104609_n.jpg
14666120_10207427164868508_4099818010985104609_n.jpg (144.09 KiB) Viewed 3773 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
User avatar
NefariousNed
Moderator
 
Posts: 51786
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:48 pm

Next

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests