The Alamo On MGM HD

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

The Alamo On MGM HD

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:40 pm

Don't know who might have this channel, some tv providers offer it, some don't. But, tomorrow night, Friday, they will be showing The Alamo at 10 pm. It's an HD channel and from what their preview showed, The Alamo looks very very good on screen, nice clear picture. Like the one I get when I play my dvd on a Blu-ray player, nice up convert.
TexianAtHeartII

Re: The Alamo On MGM HD

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:13 pm

ATT uverse channel 1116 is MGM HD
whiterabbitt83

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:08 am

whiterabbitt83 wrote:ATT uverse channel 1116 is MGM HD

Yup, that's what I have. When I had Comcast, in my area it was Channel 215. Only thing I don't like about MGM HD is that they have commercial breaks.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:51 pm

TexianAtHeartII wrote:
whiterabbitt83 wrote:ATT uverse channel 1116 is MGM HD

Yup, that's what I have. When I had Comcast, in my area it was Channel 215. Only thing I don't like about MGM HD is that they have commercial breaks.

your in westland, im in oak park we both have att uverse lol lol both in michigan
whiterabbitt83

Postby Doc on Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:04 pm

While most of my "hardcore" brothers and sisters were visiting the Holy of Holies, I viewed my DVR copy of the MGM HD broadcast. Of course it's not the Director's cut but the image and color were vastly improved. I never saw Beekeeper's eyes clearly bulge out so many times whenever he overreacted. Looked like he was getting a surprise colonoscopy. The effects and music track sometimes drowned out the dialogue, which may be considered an improvement by some. If this is what MGM intends to foist off as their ultimate restoration, forget it.
Doc

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:33 am

There's a "SAVE THE ALAMO" group on facebook and recently one of the posters commented:

"Has anybody seen the version of THE ALAMO that just popped up on the MGM-HD channel. Looks VERY good. HD good. Bluray good. (I have both the VHS Roadshow version and the standard DVD, and what's running on MGM-HD blows both out of the water. Excellent sound, too."
DukeCrockett93

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:20 am

DukeCrockett93 wrote:There's a "SAVE THE ALAMO" group on facebook and recently one of the posters commented:

"Has anybody seen the version of THE ALAMO that just popped up on the MGM-HD channel. Looks VERY good. HD good. Bluray good. (I have both the VHS Roadshow version and the standard DVD, and what's running on MGM-HD blows both out of the water. Excellent sound, too."

I was the one who started that topic on the Facebook site, as well as this thread here. I watched it last Friday night and it did look very, very good. About as crisp and clear a picture as you could get on an HD tv channel. There was some trouble with the sound, though. One scene early in the movie, someone was talking and the sound seemed to drop down a little where you could not hear them without turning the volume up.
And sometimes, the music nearly drowned out the dialogue in some scenes. I recorded it on my dvr, so I can watch it again.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:12 am

Hah! Small world!

I wonder if that's the copy they're possibly preparing for a potential Blu-ray/DVD release.
DukeCrockett93

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:23 am

DukeCrockett93 wrote:Hah! Small world!

I wonder if that's the copy they're possibly preparing for a potential Blu-ray/DVD release.

I don't think so. I've seen The Alamo on another high quality HD channel before. Maybe about 10 years ago, it was on Mark Cubans HDNet Movies channel and I recall it looked fairly good then. And like I said in all my previous posts, if you play the dvd in a Blu-ray player on an HD tv, you will get an up convert of the picture that makes at close to Blu-ray HD as you can get right now
TexianAtHeartII

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:29 am

TexianAtHeartII wrote:
DukeCrockett93 wrote:Hah! Small world!

I don't think so. I've seen The Alamo on another high quality HD channel before. Maybe about 10 years ago, it was on Mark Cubans HDNet Movies channel and I recall it looked fairly good then. And like I said in all my previous posts, if you play the dvd in a Blu-ray player on an HD tv, you will get an up convert of the picture that makes at close to Blu-ray HD as you can get right now

I'll definitely try that.
DukeCrockett93

Postby CaptBaugh on Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:15 pm

Hi All..........I caught the ALAMO on MGMHD last week from the cannon shot scene on. As stated , it was the clearest, pristine viewing of the ALAMO I'd ever scene, fantastic on our big flat screen TV.
SO, I GOT TO THINKING, maybe MGM will run it again soon, so I decided to look ahead on the viewing guide. My thought, if I find it, I will record it with our new system as the storage capacity is quite large.
To my delight, it is showing again this Sunday morning , APRIL 3rd at 1:30 in the morning CENTRAL STANDARD TIME.
So, if you missed it and you can record it....do so!
The clarity is amazing, albeit not the director's cut, it is a visual feast. The colors are fantastic!
Set your recorder now, mine is ready to go. Hopefully it will tide us all over for the special blue ray HD version that will soon be out..........well, a fella can dream can't he.
Enjoy......Capt Baugh
CaptBaugh

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )