Idealism - only for the young?

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Idealism - only for the young?

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:15 am

Okay, so I almost never do this but I'd just finished watching The Alamo again and couldn't help but think about the ideals that these guys were fighting for, in particular, those covered in John Wayne's "Republic" speech. Usually things like these are shrugged off as childish and simplistic but I was curious to see what you guys think of idealism and/or having ideals and from your experiences, if they really do fade with age?
DukeCrockett93
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby Pudman on Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:00 pm

These guys had parents and Grandparents that fought the British for Independence and their ideals in the Revolutionary War and War of 1812. I believe that had a lot to do with the Texas Revolution. Republic-they liked the sound of that word!
Pudman
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:37 pm
Location: Natchez, Mississippi

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:23 pm

As author-historian Walter Lord so aptly commented on page 42 of A Time to Stand: The Epic of the Alamo Seen as a Great National Experience, "Liberty -- that was the word. It was no idle catch phrase then. It had yet to lose its shine through misuse and overuse. Far from it -- the very sound stirred Americans to the depths of their souls." Perhaps now it is "old hat," because Americans haven't had to fight for their Liberty for numerous generations.
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:00 am

Pudman wrote:These guys had parents and Grandparents that fought the British for Independence and their ideals in the Revolutionary War and War of 1812. I believe that had a lot to do with the Texas Revolution. Republic-they liked the sound of that word!

I'm sure it made them tight in the throat!
DukeCrockett93
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:04 am

RLC-GTT wrote:As author-historian Walter Lord so aptly commented on page 42 of A Time to Stand: The Epic of the Alamo Seen as a Great National Experience, "Liberty -- that was the word. It was no idle catch phrase then. It had yet to lose its shine through misuse and overuse. Far from it -- the very sound stirred Americans to the depths of their souls." Perhaps now it is "old hat," because Americans haven't had to fight for their Liberty for numerous generations.

I wonder what kind of reception the Waynamo would get if it were released today.
DukeCrockett93
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:46 am

DukeCrockett93 wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:As author-historian Walter Lord so aptly commented on page 42 of A Time to Stand: The Epic of the Alamo Seen as a Great National Experience, "Liberty -- that was the word. It was no idle catch phrase then. It had yet to lose its shine through misuse and overuse. Far from it -- the very sound stirred Americans to the depths of their souls." Perhaps now it is "old hat," because Americans haven't had to fight for their Liberty for numerous generations.

I wonder what kind of reception the Waynamo would get if it were released today.

The general movie-goers would be even more bored with it today than in 1960. It is dinosaurically slow-moving when compared to modern films, love it as we do. It would take a true film buff to sit through it and even get the message.
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:21 am

RLC-GTT wrote:
DukeCrockett93 wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:As author-historian Walter Lord so aptly commented on page 42 of A Time to Stand: The Epic of the Alamo Seen as a Great National Experience, "Liberty -- that was the word. It was no idle catch phrase then. It had yet to lose its shine through misuse and overuse. Far from it -- the very sound stirred Americans to the depths of their souls." Perhaps now it is "old hat," because Americans haven't had to fight for their Liberty for numerous generations.

I wonder what kind of reception the Waynamo would get if it were released today.

The general movie-goers would be even more bored with it today than in 1960. It is dinosaurically slow-moving when compared to modern films, love it as we do. It would take a true film buff to sit through it and even get the message.

I can't argue with that. It's also hard to imagine a 3+ hour film coming out today with an intermission, entr'acte etc. in 70mm with a roadshow release. That would probably be a true film buff's wet dream. I suppose Tarantino's "The Hateful Eight" came close but even that still felt like a Tarantino film rather than an epic.
DukeCrockett93
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby cc nolen on Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:26 pm

and can you imagine :? the knife scenes were all cut! :o NO EPIC there!!! :lol: and it wasn't because he didn't have any to work with :shock: I only sent 26! :lol:
User avatar
cc nolen
 
Posts: 10508
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: West Monroe, Louisiana.......Land of Bowie

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:06 am

Why have knives when you can use poisoned coffee as the weapon of choice? :D
DukeCrockett93
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby cc nolen on Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:04 pm

DukeCrockett93 wrote:Why have knives when you can use poisoned coffee as the weapon of choice? :D

Only one reason I can come up with: :? I supplied the knives for the movie, and I wanted to see them on the big screen. That's about the truth of it....and you are correct; coffee is a dang good weapon. :lol:
User avatar
cc nolen
 
Posts: 10508
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: West Monroe, Louisiana.......Land of Bowie

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:09 pm

when i was a school boy in michigan and my 6th grade class was taken downtown
, and for history class we saw Spartacus 3 plus hours, intermission, they had a program
into and exit music,this was a big deal, just like the Alamo was when it first came out
User avatar
whiterabbitt83
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: Oak Park mi/Austin TX

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:07 am

whiterabbitt83 wrote:when i was a school boy in michigan and my 6th grade class was taken downtown
, and for history class we saw Spartacus 3 plus hours, intermission, they had a program
into and exit music,this was a big deal, just like the Alamo was when it first came out

I'd love it if more films today were made to be events like this.
DukeCrockett93
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:54 am

Star Wars: The Force Awakens wasn't an event? :lol: (Kidding. I know what you mean.)
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:02 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Star Wars: The Force Awakens wasn't an event? :lol: (Kidding. I know what you mean.)

An event? I thought it was an over-promoted indie film :D

Seriously though, that film really harkened back to those old-fashioned swashbuckling adventures and serials. It was a real hoot to watch!
DukeCrockett93
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:14 am

And that is what they intend to do with the franchise for the next several generations, in true George Lucas/Stephen Spielberg tradition. ;)
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:00 am

Sounds good.
DukeCrockett93
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:44 pm

the 2 weeks before our class went to see spartacus
we studied roman history, we were not the only school there
there were teachers and students from other schools also
i am sure that schools now adays dont do that, but it was a real big deal
later i was living in san francisco, and i went opening night to see tora tora tora
it was long had a intro music intermission and outro music
and there was a program u could buy at the candy counter
road shows like that dont exit any more
User avatar
whiterabbitt83
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: Oak Park mi/Austin TX

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby SantaClaus on Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:16 pm

When my grandkids are unlucky enough to be at my house on or near December 7, I always make them sit and watch the Tora, Tora, Tora, attack on Pearl harbor.
Richard McC
User avatar
SantaClaus
 
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:43 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:29 pm

SantaClaus wrote:When my grandkids are unlucky enough to be at my house on or near December 7, I always make them sit and watch the Tora, Tora, Tora, attack on Pearl harbor.
Richard McC

Santa i spend $50 buckaroos and
bought the uncut japanese blueray
worth every penny
it was the long version,over 3 hours
User avatar
whiterabbitt83
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: Oak Park mi/Austin TX

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby ConnieFromHaiti on Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:47 am

DukeCrockett93 wrote:Okay, so I almost never do this but I'd just finished watching The Alamo again and couldn't help but think about the ideals that these guys were fighting for, in particular, those covered in John Wayne's "Republic" speech. Usually things like these are shrugged off as childish and simplistic but I was curious to see what you guys think of idealism and/or having ideals and from your experiences, if they really do fade with age?


I'm a mite younger than a lot of the folks on this forum (though not the youngest, by a long shot!), though I do now qualify for senior citizen discounts at some places. I would say that many people of my generation (my uncle is fond of saying that I "came out" at the same time as the Alamo :?), at least the ones I know, have hung on to their ideals. They may not be the same ideals as those of the "Greatest Generation" which fought WW II and produced the Alamo. But the idealism is still there. World peace is a big one, both for my generation and for many younger than I. Stewardship of the environment and responsibility to share with others less materially blessed are other big ideals. For my peers who share my faith, a passion for Christian missions is an ideal many still hold. A large number of my peers have spent time on the mission field or are very involved in financially supporting missions. And many combine Christian missions with helping others materially all over the world. So, I think ideals, while shrugged off as childish and simplistic by some, do not fade with age. They often get stronger, though they might get tempered by reality.
User avatar
ConnieFromHaiti
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:22 pm
Location: Pennsylvania and Haiti

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:37 am

Bravo, Connie! I'm glad we're the same age. (And you "came out" while The Alamo was still in the womb. (Her birthday was November 2, 1959. -- Put THAT in your book, John Farkis. :lol: ).
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:53 pm

Bravo, indeed!

I love reading these responses. I was afraid that I was coming off as pseudo-intellectual with this thread but I guess this is just something that really resonates with me. I came out long after "The Alamo" [if her birthday was, in fact, in 1959, then I "came out" 34 years later] but I still feel those ideals are just as powerful today as they were then, and was glad to hear that they often do get stronger with age.

With that said, John Farkis has some serious revisions to do!
DukeCrockett93
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby ConnieFromHaiti on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:38 am

Heavens, if John is to put every birthday related to the Alamo in "the book", he's gonna need a bigger book! Yikes! And, yes, Elias, I really was born in 1959 and my ideals have only strengthened with my years. Hang on to yours and fight for the ones most worth holding!
User avatar
ConnieFromHaiti
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:22 pm
Location: Pennsylvania and Haiti

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:18 am

ConnieFromHaiti wrote:Heavens, if John is to put every birthday related to the Alamo in "the book", he's gonna need a bigger book! Yikes! And, yes, Elias, I really was born in 1959 and my ideals have only strengthened with my years. Hang on to yours and fight for the ones most worth holding!

The one that is most worth holding now is trying to read properly. I read the post above yours as meaning "her" was "The Alamo" born in 1959, not knowing that it was referring to you. I sure came off rude as referring to you as "her" in my previous post so I do apologize for that and I certainly do hope I can hold onto my ideals the same way you have.
Last edited by DukeCrockett93 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
DukeCrockett93
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby ConnieFromHaiti on Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:18 am

:lol: I didn't catch that, and took no offence at being referred to as "her"! And, if you go by the release date, I believe the Alamo "came out" in 1960! Uncle Richard, bail me out here?
User avatar
ConnieFromHaiti
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:22 pm
Location: Pennsylvania and Haiti

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:04 am

ConnieFromHaiti wrote::lol: I didn't catch that, and took no offence at being referred to as "her"! And, if you go by the release date, I believe the Alamo "came out" in 1960! Uncle Richard, bail me out here?

You're right, it was 1960. I just thought 1959 was referring to the filming year, so technically, you could say it was born/"came out" that year.
DukeCrockett93
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:02 am

Premiered on October 24, 1960. We didn't get it in central Pennsylvania until the road show engagement in 70 mm was over, so I didn't see it until maybe February of 1961.
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:29 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Premiered on October 24, 1960. We didn't get it in central Pennsylvania until the road show engagement in 70 mm was over, so I didn't see it until maybe February of 1961.

You had to wait? Why didn't you just download a pirated copy? :lol:
DukeCrockett93
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:53 pm

DukeCrockett93 wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:Premiered on October 24, 1960. We didn't get it in central Pennsylvania until the road show engagement in 70 mm was over, so I didn't see it until maybe February of 1961.

You had to wait? Why didn't you just download a pirated copy? :lol:

Because even that was on 13 one-thousand foot reels that would have taken up most of my living room. ;)
We laugh, but I had a friend who owned a pristine 16 mm print of Mary Poppins and we looked at it in our house -- shortly after the premiere of the movie!!!
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby cc nolen on Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:00 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:Premiered on October 24, 1960. We didn't get it in central Pennsylvania until the road show engagement in 70 mm was over, so I didn't see it until maybe February of 1961.

My Birthday! I was 8 years old....hooked for life! ;)
User avatar
cc nolen
 
Posts: 10508
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: West Monroe, Louisiana.......Land of Bowie

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:19 pm

cc
i was 12 years old lol lol
User avatar
whiterabbitt83
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: Oak Park mi/Austin TX

Re: Idealism - only for the young?

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:12 am

RLC-GTT wrote:
DukeCrockett93 wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:Premiered on October 24, 1960. We didn't get it in central Pennsylvania until the road show engagement in 70 mm was over, so I didn't see it until maybe February of 1961.

You had to wait? Why didn't you just download a pirated copy? :lol:

Because even that was on 13 one-thousand foot reels that would have taken up most of my living room. ;)
We laugh, but I had a friend who owned a pristine 16 mm print of Mary Poppins and we looked at it in our house -- shortly after the premiere of the movie!!!

But just think of what that would've been worth now to all Alamo fans ;)

As for the Mary Poppins print, you're friend could've had private screenings for the neighbourhood at his house and maybe made a little profit on the side too! I guess that's as closest to piracy as you would've got in the 1960's, if you can call it piracy. How did he get the print in the first place? Was he a projectionist?

The closest things I have to film prints are one single frame from "Lawrence Of Arabia" and one single frame from "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" that were both included in their limited edition blu-ray sets.
DukeCrockett93
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:41 pm


Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests