Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby cc nolen on Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:46 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
cc nolen

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby SantaClaus on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:17 pm

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:Just WHAT is a Jacks of Nabes :?: :?: :?:

Something the Ace of Nabes beats every time. ;)
Richard McC
SantaClaus

Re: The Alamo 1960 on Television

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:43 pm

The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby SantaClaus on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:04 pm

Thanks for posting the link, Ned. That was a good little promo. :D
SantaClaus

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:14 am

The Alamo is on the MGM movie channel right now. Came on at 7 edt, so an hour in already. It's on till 10, so has to be the 162 minute one.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:26 am

The 1960 Alamo will be shown on TCM this coming Feb. 8th @ 12:30am. It will the long version, 202 minutes.

Here's the link. http://www.tcm.com/schedule/search/?typ ... the+Alamo+

Click on the +/expand to get the full info.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:21 pm

Just a reminder that the long version will be on TCM this Thursday, Feb. 8th at 12:30am. Guess you could say, it's actually Friday the 9th, since it's after midnight. TCM calls it Thursday.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:32 am

Seems to be quite a few disappointed viewers from last nights TCM showing of The Alamo. It was supposed to be the longer version, but they showed the theatrical version instead. Don't know if it was a mistake in scheduling or if TCM put the wrong version on by mistake. Better luck next time.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:46 am

Indeed, TexianAtHeartII, I noticed quite a few disappointed TCM viewers on Facebook who'd stayed up for the Road Show version of THE ALAMO
only to get the short version, instead. Some were asking that, since the time allotted was for the 202 minute version, what did TCM do to fill in
for the extra 45 minutes they did not show? Did anybody here stay up anyway to answer this burning question ?
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby DocWylie on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:19 pm

NefariousNed wrote:Indeed, TexianAtHeartII, I noticed quite a few disappointed TCM viewers on Facebook who'd stayed up for the Road Show version of THE ALAMO
only to get the short version, instead. Some were asking that, since the time allotted was for the 202 minute version, what did TCM do to fill in
for the extra 45 minutes they did not show? Did anybody here stay up anyway to answer this burning question ?

I didn't stay up, nor did I DVR it since I already did that last year...but someone posted on FB that after The Alamo there was a documentary in Gettysburg. That would account for the extra time allotted.
DocWylie

Postby Lt. Finn on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:18 am

NefariousNed wrote:Indeed, TexianAtHeartII, I noticed quite a few disappointed TCM viewers on Facebook who'd stayed up for the Road Show version of THE ALAMO

While I did not stay up, my faithful DVR did. It’s his job, old DVR, good boy, there’s extra heavy 50-weight oil in your grub tonight. Good laddie!

So I watched the end of the recording. Then I confirmed what I saw on the Turner Classic Movies (TCM) Web site. That extra time on top of the 161-minute theatrical release version of The Alamo was filled by two Oscar-nominated short subjects, the 30 minute “The Battle of Gettysburg” (1955) narrated by Leslie Neilsen (and don’t call him Shirley), with a 9 minute Pete Smith Speciality (in Technicolor) “Now You See It,” (1947) about highly-magnified motion pictures of nature.

Proof is in the pudding of this page, amongst the last entries for February 8:
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.htm ... thschedule

So—why were Oscar nominated short subjects shown instead of the one, true, 202-minute director’s cut of “The Alamo”? Because TCM is in the midst of its annual 31 Days of Oscar film festival. Every film shown during the 28 days of February (yeah, what’s with the 31? I don’t know) is either an Oscar winner or a nominee, 24/7, all of the day and all of the night, until March gets here. It does result in some extraordinarily fine movie viewing for at least 28 days, I have to say, whether it is exactly the fine viewing I wanted or not.
"It's the biggest gol-durned cannon I ever did see."
Lt. Finn

Previous

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )