THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:19 pm

Turner is rerunning THE ALAMO on TCM, on Tuesday, July 12, at 2:00 PM. It is the director's cut. Here's the link to the listing with Leonard Maltin's review. No indication whether it is a hi-def version. Thanks to Allen Weiner for bringing this to our attention.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/search/?typ ... =the+alamo
Last edited by RLC-GTT on Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby Doc on Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:27 pm

Rich, TCM has a separate HD channel that duplicates every show at the same time. The last time they ran The Alamo it was also the director's edition on HD and I managed to record it to DVD but it looked exactly like the laser disc. Since MGM tinkered with restoring the quality of the short version it may be different this time around.
User avatar
Doc
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:20 pm

"On HD" means the broadcast. That doesn't necessarily mean the movie is an HD version.
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby cc nolen on Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:57 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:"On HD" means the broadcast. That doesn't necessarily mean the movie is an HD version.

DO THIS MEAN WHAT I THINK IT DO???? :o
User avatar
cc nolen
 
Posts: 10508
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: West Monroe, Louisiana.......Land of Bowie

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:41 pm

Little do we know what you do think.
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:25 pm

If you have HDNet Movies, The Alamo will be shown tonight beginning at 10:15pm and running till 1:05am. Just the theater version.
TexianAtHeartII
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:26 am
Location: Westland, Mi

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby MUSTANG on Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:18 am

Watching it tonight on HDNet Movies as I write this. First time since I got my new glasses. Very sharp and crisp. Great colors and textures. Can't wait to see what TCM does to it.
User avatar
MUSTANG
 
Posts: 1940
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:49 am

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:40 pm

I'll be interested in hearing your comparison of what you saw last night with the Turner broadcast. I'm afraid it will just be the same thing it was before, but at least it will be on an HD broadcast (which it may not have been when he ran it before -- don't know). Was the broadcast last night without commercial interruptions and with the overture, entr'acte and walkout music?
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby MUSTANG on Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:15 pm

Standard short version. No additional music. Leo roars and then The Alamo title starring John Wayne. No intermission. But, bright reds and dark blues. 161 minutes. Virtually two seconds after the chorus finishes "asleep in the arms of the Lord," the screen fades to black and Leo roars again.
User avatar
MUSTANG
 
Posts: 1940
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:49 am

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby Lt. Finn on Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:36 am

Terrific! You saved my day! Literally, with your timely tip about TCM running the Director's Cut on 16 July 2016.

Earlier this afternoon I thought, for the sake of posterity and the life expectancy of video tape being what it is, I should make a DVD archival copy of the Director's Cut, VHS double-cassette from 1992. I had received a copy that year as a Christmas gift and it was truly thrilling to see The Alamo in its original premier version. But technology has changed and left VHS in the dust. On my current-technology 1080-dpi TV set, which is a mere 8 months old, VHS video looks really substandard. Awful is a better word.

I couldn't read the copyright date in the main title, there was such a lack of fine detail. In Houston's officer's call, Capt. Dickinson's face was a blob of white bobbing in the background. So I abandoned my idea to make a DVD archive copy and stopped the tape. I put on the circa-2009 DVD version of the theatrical-release short-version, which I got for about $8 at WalMart a couple years ago and by comparison it looked razor sharp. Bright colors, and rich muted ones, such as when Sam Houston and company ride into a muddy and rain-soaked San Antonio under cloudy skies. I could read not only the copyright date and all the fine credits quite easily, but count the stubble whiskers on Bowie's chin when he tells Travis they should abandon the run-down old church and do something else. When Travis snaps in reply, "Col. Bowie, you were drunk at the last officer's call...," I thought I could see the individual threads in the lapels of his dark-blue jacket and the spittle flyng from his lips, but maybe it was just the moment. What scene. What a movie.

Anyway, if MGM can't understand the value to cinema history, and to we-the-fans (and the money to be made I would think) from issuing a DVD Director's Cut, it will be shameful. Which is another reason to say thanks for the tip about the TCM showing on 16 July. Oddly enough that may be the only way possible to secure a digital copy of the Director's Cut for future generations. My 4-year old grandson is a native Texan. Once he's old enough to sustain interest in a 3 hour and 23 minute movie, should he ever show his own interest in the subject of the Alamo and the Texas War for Independence, I'd dearly love to show him this film. I showed it to his dad when he was 15. The DIrector's Cut VHS the next year was a gift from him.

Although I must say I've come to believe MGM doesn't give a flip about The Alamo and/or the Duke, for whatever reason. Unless something has changed very recently, the entire narrative from Robert Harris about original motion picture elements and other production materials turning into industrial waste because of MGM's inexplicable disinterest, is just beyond sad. Yet huge amounts are spent restoring stuff like An American in Paris and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I guess if you like that sort of thing, well then, MGM is bloody heroic. One person's trash is another person's treasure, as we all know, and that proverb is a two-way street.

And thank God for TCM.
"It's the biggest gol-durned cannon I ever did see."
User avatar
Lt. Finn
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:01 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:09 am

Lt. Finn wrote:Terrific! You saved my day! Literally, with your timely tip about TCM running the Director's Cut on 16 July 2016.

Earlier this afternoon I thought, for the sake of posterity and the life expectancy of video tape being what it is, I should make a DVD archival copy of the Director's Cut, VHS double-cassette from 1992. I had received a copy that year as a Christmas gift and it was truly thrilling to see The Alamo in its original premier version. But technology has changed and left VHS in the dust. On my current-technology 1080-dpi TV set, which is a mere 8 months old, VHS video looks really substandard. Awful is a better word.

I couldn't read the copyright date in the main title, there was such a lack of fine detail. In Houston's officer's call, Capt. Dickinson's face was a blob of white bobbing in the background. So I abandoned my idea to make a DVD archive copy and stopped the tape. I put on the circa-2009 DVD version of the theatrical-release short-version, which I got for about $8 at WalMart a couple years ago and by comparison it looked razor sharp. Bright colors, and rich muted ones, such as when Sam Houston and company ride into a muddy and rain-soaked San Antonio under cloudy skies. I could read not only the copyright date and all the fine credits quite easily, but count the stubble whiskers on Bowie's chin when he tells Travis they should abandon the run-down old church and do something else. When Travis snaps in reply, "Col. Bowie, you were drunk at the last officer's call...," I thought I could see the individual threads in the lapels of his dark-blue jacket and the spittle flyng from his lips, but maybe it was just the moment. What scene. What a movie.

Anyway, if MGM can't understand the value to cinema history, and to we-the-fans (and the money to be made I would think) from issuing a DVD Director's Cut, it will be shameful. Which is another reason to say thanks for the tip about the TCM showing on 16 July. Oddly enough that may be the only way possible to secure a digital copy of the Director's Cut for future generations. My 4-year old grandson is a native Texan. Once he's old enough to sustain interest in a 3 hour and 23 minute movie, should he ever show his own interest in the subject of the Alamo and the Texas War for Independence, I'd dearly love to show him this film. I showed it to his dad when he was 15. The DIrector's Cut VHS the next year was a gift from him.

Although I must say I've come to believe MGM doesn't give a flip about The Alamo and/or the Duke, for whatever reason. Unless something has changed very recently, the entire narrative from Robert Harris about original motion picture elements and other production materials turning into industrial waste because of MGM's inexplicable disinterest, is just beyond sad. Yet huge amounts are spent restoring stuff like An American in Paris and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I guess if you like that sort of thing, well then, MGM is bloody heroic. One person's trash is another person's treasure, as we all know, and that proverb is a two-way street.

And thank God for TCM.


I also made a dvd copy of vhs directors cut and mine came out pretty darn good. Probably not as crisp and clear as the dvd played on a blu-ray player, but quite passable.
TexianAtHeartII
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:26 am
Location: Westland, Mi

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:50 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Turner is rerunning THE ALAMO on TCM, on Tuesday, July 12, at 2:00 PM. It is the director's cut. Here's the link to the listing with Leonard Maltin's review. No indication whether it is a hi-def version. Thanks to Allen Weiner for bringing this to our attention.


I might remind that this is 2:00 PM Eastern time. In Texas it will be at 1:00 PM, etc.
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby mrbassbone on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:15 am

Not to mention that some have DVD dupes of the LaserDisk copy. Quite clear and has everything.
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
User avatar
mrbassbone
 
Posts: 2941
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:52 pm

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:48 am

mrbassbone wrote:Not to mention that some have DVD dupes of the LaserDisk copy. Quite clear and has everything.


I have one of those, Shell. It will play fine on a dvd player, but not at all on a blu-ray player.
TexianAtHeartII
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:26 am
Location: Westland, Mi

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby mrbassbone on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:10 am

TexianAtHeartII wrote:
mrbassbone wrote:Not to mention that some have DVD dupes of the LaserDisk copy. Quite clear and has everything.


I have one of those, Shell. It will play fine on a dvd player, but not at all on a blu-ray player.

I have not tried that with mine...yet.
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
User avatar
mrbassbone
 
Posts: 2941
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:52 pm

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:00 pm

Mine plays pretty good o the BLU-RAY.
However I will be setting my DVR and make a copy.
User avatar
Fargo Fenwyck
 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:25 pm
Location: Northwood, Ohio

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:39 pm

All DVD's SHOULD play on a BluRay machine. Perhaps the problem has to do with whether it is professionally pressed or personally recorded. Remember however that, just because it PLAYS on a BluRay machine does not mean the quality is any better. Although, with THE ALAMO's official DVD, it does seem to be a tad better -- but, if you compare the "Arrival of Santa Anna" shot with the one used in HOW THE WEST WAS WON in the BluRay edition, you will see how awful THE ALAMO still looks on DVD.
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby Lt. Finn on Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:33 am

RLC-GTT wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:Turner is rerunning THE ALAMO on TCM, on Tuesday, July 12, at 2:00 PM. It is the director's cut. Here's the link to the listing with Leonard Maltin's review. No indication whether it is a hi-def version. Thanks to Allen Weiner for bringing this to our attention.


I might remind that this is 2:00 PM Eastern time. In Texas it will be at 1:00 PM, etc.


Pardon my mistake in reporting the incorrect date for this showing. I think I repeated that error in every post I made over the long hoilday weekend.

RLC-GTT has and had it correct all along: Tuesday July 12, 1:00pm Central time (which is 2:00pm Eastern,12 pm Mountain and 11am Pacific). I Monsieur Paul Regret the error. :shock: Respectfully, Ed McBain.
"It's the biggest gol-durned cannon I ever did see."
User avatar
Lt. Finn
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:01 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby SantaClaus on Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:24 pm

Lt. Finn wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:Turner is rerunning THE ALAMO on TCM, on Tuesday, July 12, at 2:00 PM. It is the director's cut. Here's the link to the listing with Leonard Maltin's review. No indication whether it is a hi-def version. Thanks to Allen Weiner for bringing this to our attention.


I might remind that this is 2:00 PM Eastern time. In Texas it will be at 1:00 PM, etc.


Pardon my mistake in reporting the incorrect date for this showing. I think I repeated that error in every post I made over the long hoilday weekend.

RLC-GTT has and had it correct all along: Tuesday July 12, 1:00pm Central time (which is 2:00pm Eastern,12 pm Mountain and 11am Pacific). I Monsieur Paul Regret the error. :shock: Respectfully, Ed McBain.


Monsieur, you are a lulu. ;)
Richard McC
User avatar
SantaClaus
 
Posts: 1705
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:43 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby cc nolen on Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:45 pm

Lt. Finn wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:Turner is rerunning THE ALAMO on TCM, on Tuesday, July 12, at 2:00 PM. It is the director's cut. Here's the link to the listing with Leonard Maltin's review. No indication whether it is a hi-def version. Thanks to Allen Weiner for bringing this to our attention.


I might remind that this is 2:00 PM Eastern time. In Texas it will be at 1:00 PM, etc.


Pardon my mistake in reporting the incorrect date for this showing. I think I repeated that error in every post I made over the long hoilday weekend.

RLC-GTT has and had it correct all along: Tuesday July 12, 1:00pm Central time (which is 2:00pm Eastern,12 pm Mountain and 11am Pacific). I Monsieur Paul Regret the error. :shock: Respectfully, Ed McBain.

Dont worry - there retiring! ;)
User avatar
cc nolen
 
Posts: 10508
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: West Monroe, Louisiana.......Land of Bowie

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby mrbassbone on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:40 pm

At 3:07:25 of the UNCUT Version <which I have on DVD thanks to DAVY>, I noticed something for the first time in all my years of watching. BTW...I played it on my Blu-Ray and it played fine. Quality was good but not fully enhanced. The scene shows the blue coated Mexican infantry advancing. In the foreground is a "dead" soldato dressed in white. All of a sudden he comes to life to avoid being trampled by two horses. Watch it in slow motion if you can.
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
User avatar
mrbassbone
 
Posts: 2941
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:52 pm

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby Tejas Cowboy on Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:41 am

I just set the DVR!! Cant wait to see it! Thanks for letting us know.
No, I'm with you fellers, not above you.
User avatar
Tejas Cowboy
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:33 pm

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby simond9x on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:03 pm

Just a plea from over the pond. If it IS the Director's Cut and if anyone manages to record a good quality clean copy, could we discuss if there's any way of sharing it please? On another thread, I said how I'd paid to have my VHS copy professionally transferred to digital with somewhat less than stellar results so I'd love to be able to get a good quality digital copy. I'[m sure that there are ways it could be 'shared'electronically.

Thanks
simond9x
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:03 pm

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby mrbassbone on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:05 pm

simond9x wrote:Just a plea from over the pond. If it IS the Director's Cut and if anyone manages to record a good quality clean copy, could we discuss if there's any way of sharing it please? On another thread, I said how I'd paid to have my VHS copy professionally transferred to digital with somewhat less than stellar results so I'd love to be able to get a good quality digital copy. I'[m sure that there are ways it could be 'shared'electronically.

Thanks


It wasn't...
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
User avatar
mrbassbone
 
Posts: 2941
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:52 pm

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:00 am

mrbassbone wrote:At 3:07:25 of the UNCUT Version <which I have on DVD thanks to DAVY>, I noticed something for the first time in all my years of watching. BTW...I played it on my Blu-Ray and it played fine. Quality was good but not fully enhanced. The scene shows the blue coated Mexican infantry advancing. In the foreground is a "dead" soldato dressed in white. All of a sudden he comes to life to avoid being trampled by two horses. Watch it in slow motion if you can.


Ok, I played my dvd's of the laserdisc version on my blu-ray player and it played just fine. The version I thought you were referring to, Shell, was the Asian made copy that sells on various sites. That will not play on a blu-ray player.
Plus, today I received an actual laserdisc copy of the directors cut from Ken Pruitt, who used to work at Alamo Village and is known to a few members here. He and two of my sons used to work together at Northwest Airlines. Ken is now into collecting Star Wars memorabilia and my son gave him a big AT-AT Walker and in turn, Ken gave him to give to me, the 3 disc laserdisc movie, a copy of the Life magazine with a feature on The Alamo, a couple of posters from the movie and a few pictures and the soundtrack on vinyl record. He also told my son that he plans on putting up his fantastic 1960 Alamo diorama up again and if he does, I will get pictures and post them, with his permission of course. It is a sight to behold.
TexianAtHeartII
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:26 am
Location: Westland, Mi

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby michaelalamo on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:10 pm

Image
Just a reminder..."The Alamo (1960)"is playing on TCM on Tue, July 12, 2016 02:00 PM est.
Image
I didn't read it...I heard it !!!
User avatar
michaelalamo
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:35 pm

1:00 PM Central!
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby mrbassbone on Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:39 pm

Come on, Folks! Did anyone look for what I mentioned? A blooper that is seems that no one mentioned before.....
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
User avatar
mrbassbone
 
Posts: 2941
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:52 pm

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby Rick on Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:43 am

For Those Who Saw It . . . And Can't Forget It! (that means y'all)

For Those Who Missed It! (that means me)

Well, what's the verdict, guys? How good a job did TCM do with it today? What version was it? Were the images sharp and punchy or dull and drab?

Farkis? Rich? Anybody?
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick
 
Posts: 1044
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:48 am

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:08 am

It was the long version with Overture, Entr'Acte and Walkout Music. I'm not the best judge because I was watching it on a TV without HD access. So, to me, it looked like the same quality as all the dubs of the laser disc. I also had sound issues but can't swear it was their presentation or my friend's settings. It was severely compressed -- cannon shots were flattened to almost nothing, ambient sound and music that was meant to be way in the Tiomkin background went 100% volume every time their was a pause in the dialogue or a silent passage. Very horrible to listen to. But, since this was exactly what happened to the JLH Alamo telecast on Showtime the other day, I must assume it is the settings. The system I'm using is at a friend's house that I am watching while they are on vacation, and I don't want to bother him with technical things. I still saw a difference between the quality of the cut scenes and the rest of the film, just like on the director's cut releases, but it did appear to have been tweaked to intensify the drab colors to match the rest of the movie -- a bit. Or..... it might have just been because the rest of the quality of the HD (if indeed it was indeed HD) reduced to SD was so poor that they both looked as bad. In short, there was nothing about what I saw (albeit not under the best of conditions) to suggest this was anything different than what we have. And there was no introduction of any kind, as I thought there would be. They were not "presenting" or "highlighting" THE ALAMO. They were just running a string of big budget westerns.
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby Doc on Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:19 am

Just finished watching the film recorded this afternoon on TCMHD. Rich, as always, is spot on correct. It is the version found in Toronto that also appeared on laser disc. It wasn't enhanced or restored even in the shorter version portion that appeared on MGMHD a few months ago. I was hoping for some kind of upgrade but it's not yet meant to be. I didn't experience the same sound fluctuations as reported by Rich but at least the subdued sound in the restored MGM channel broadcast wasn't apparent. In that version one can barely hear the "Get to the infirmary" line or Crockett's last instructions to Beekeeper. But why in the name of God does this, of all films, defy complete reconstruction?

Mrbassbone, that "dead" soldier rolling away from the horses has always been in the widescreen version of the film. I noticed it in the 1966 re-release. Michael Wayne even refers to it in the Huberman documentary and regrets it wasn't noticed in editing. As for me, I prefer to think that the soldado was playing dead in order to avoid continuing the charge toward the long rifles. He flinched at the horse and hoped no officers noticed and thus, it is not an error.
User avatar
Doc
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:22 pm

Can a BLU-RAY be made from this print? I know we have discussed over and over but do they need a film copy, restore it and then on to BLU-RAY. I watched my Blu-Ray of "Drums Along the Mohawk" (1939). Did Fox use a film print or a DVD to restore that? If so, can the same process apply for "The Alamo"? A simple yes or no will do. I'm just curious.
In regards to the airing of the director's cut, I didn't see any difference at all from my Laser copy as far as color. The sound was much better on the Laser and when I made my copy from Laser to DVD, I put it on two discs. My sound copied very well and the picture wasn't much different then the disc.
If they would have blocked out the TCM logo, it would be worth it to copy if you don't have a copy cause it looks as if this is all we're ever going to get.
User avatar
Fargo Fenwyck
 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:25 pm
Location: Northwood, Ohio

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby Rick on Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:03 pm

Thanks for the reports, guys. Sounds like I didn't miss anything.
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick
 
Posts: 1044
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:48 am

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby DocWylie on Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:11 pm

Maybe it's because, due to old age, my vision, hearing and mental acuity are shot...but I was pleased with the quality of the TCM Rerun that I now have on DVR. I'd like to find a way to transfer it to DVD so that I can add it to my collection of other copies (VHS tape, pirated DVD copy, and the one I got from a certain fellow I "Shell" not name publicly! :lol: )
User avatar
DocWylie
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby Doc on Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:47 pm

From one Doc to another, my senses are probably on a par with your own (I look like Mr. Magoo just trying to read this size print). The TCM version looks pretty good until you see the restored short version color and clarity that was shown on MGMHD. The way those long-winded jacks of napes at MGM have treated this film is disgraceful. I have to go take a pill now to lower my blood pressure.
User avatar
Doc
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:14 pm

Just WHAT is a Jacks of Nabes :?: :?: :?:
User avatar
Fargo Fenwyck
 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:25 pm
Location: Northwood, Ohio

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:15 pm

The same thing it always was.
User avatar
RLC-GTT
 
Posts: 17874
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:53 pm

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:Just WHAT is a Jacks of Nabes :?: :?: :?:

Fargo
it is a polite PG word
for JACKASS
no insults ment for all the hard working
honest mules and jackass's working on a farm
:D :D :lol: :lol:
User avatar
whiterabbitt83
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: Oak Park mi/Austin TX

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby The Colonel on Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:11 pm

jackanapes
(from wictionary.org)

1. A conceited or impudent person.
2. A mischievous child.
3. Archaic A monkey or an ape.

1450, from “Jack of Naples”, with “of Naples” rendered “a Napes” in vernacular. Originally rendered as Jac Napes, Jac Nape, and Jack Napis in 1450s. Presumably from *Jak a Napes, and original *Jak of Naples, presumably circa 1400. Monkeys were one of many exotic goods from Naples exhibited in Britain, hence acquired the nickname Jack a Napes.

In sense “upstart person”, applied to 15th century William de la Pole, 1st Duke of Suffolk, one of the first nouveau riche nobles (risen from merchant class). The family used a collar and chain on their coat of arms, which was an unfortunate choice, as this was more associated with monkey leashes, leading to the derisive nickname Jack Napis for de la Pole, yielding the insult.

Later mis-analyzed as Jack-an-apes (16th and 17th century), leading to folk etymology (taking “ape” from “monkey”).
Do not be uneasy about me. I am among friends.
User avatar
The Colonel
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:28 pm
Location: Between Possum Kingdom & Hickory Tavern, South Carolina

Re: THE ALAMO Directors Cut rerun on TCM

Postby cc nolen on Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:46 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
User avatar
cc nolen
 
Posts: 10508
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: West Monroe, Louisiana.......Land of Bowie

Next

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron