The Alamo 1960 on Television

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

The Alamo 1960 on Television

Postby AlamoAl on Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:59 pm

Just thought I'd let you fellers know The Waynamo will be on Turner Classic Movies on March 17th at about 2:15 or is it 2:30 pm ( I got so excited I forgot) :o They list the running time at 190 to 192 minutes. :D
AlamoAl

Re: The Alamo 1960 on TCM

Postby Greg C on Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:52 pm

TCM always shows the director's cut which is why I try to watch it every time it's on. Too bad they couldn't do it a week earlier on March 6.
"All men were made by the Great Spirit. They are all brothers. The earth is the mother of all people, and all people should have equal rights upon it."- Chief Joseph

My blog: http://gcaggiano.wordpress.com/
Greg C

Re: The Alamo 1960 on Television

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:03 am

Just want to reiterate what AlamoAl posted. The Alamo will be on next Tuesday, the 17th, at 2:15 pm. And it will be The Directors Cut because the running time they have listed is 2:15 to 5:45, 210 minutes. Of course, it's actually 202 minutes but, that's the time slot. I've got my DVR already set to record it.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby Irish on Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:53 pm

http://mefeedia.com/entry/the-alamo/10850155 I posted this earlier and for what ever reason , it was removed
and I don't know why ? This is a film clip I found yesterday on Google from the old TV show " The Time Tunnel " that
was created by Irwin Allen for ABC . In this particular segment , Doug Phillips and Tony Newman go back in time to the
year 1836 to The Alamo ! The segment itself is 51 minutes long complete with brief commercials. I just thought alot of
you Alamo fans might like to watch this episode .
" Irish "
" Well I guess we can't stop him from coming , but I reckon we can arrange fer him to limp goin' back ! "
Irish

Postby Seguin on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:08 am

Removed? You´ve posted the same link under "Other Alamo Related Films" too. Perhaps you forgot where you posted it?
I would love to see that episode but unfortunately it says that´s it´s not available for viewing in my region. :(
Thanks, anyway!

NOTE: I MOVED IT TO THE OTHER ALAMO-RELATED FILMS THREAD AS THIS THREAD AND SECTION IS DEDICATED SOLEY TO THE WAYNAMO... -NED-
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Irish on Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:59 pm

Thank you Seguin , sorry for the mix up , yes I did forget that I had in fact posted my other posting in a different area .
But I'am confused here , you say this area is dedicated to Waynamo , yet the thread itself says The Alamo 1960 on television , so I thought that seeing that " The Time Tunnel " was a TV show , posting it here was appropriate ? I apologize for any error on my part .
Thank You One Again Seguin ,
" Irish "
" Well I guess we can't stop him from coming , but I reckon we can arrange fer him to limp goin' back ! "
Irish

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:39 am

Well today, I DVR'ed The Alamo and plan on hooking up my DVD recorder to my DVR and making a copy of it. I checked the timeline for the halfway point of the movie and at the end of Entr'act music, the running time was about 102 minutes. So that meant that the last half of the movie was also around the same running time. That means I can use two discs, both on the 2 hr speed and have excellent picture quality. the first disc will end at either the beginning or end of the Entr'act music and the second will begin either before or after the same. I already have The Directors Cut on DVD from one of those Asian places. Although the picture quality is pretty good for what it is, it doesn't have any of the before, middle and, exit music, just the movie itself. Now, I can have the entire movie as it was meant to be seen on DVD.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby findem_killem on Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:29 pm

The TCM version, was that a 35mm print or a 70mm print? Was it cropped on the
ends? Could someone please post a 35mm print next to the 70mm print of Wayne in
his buckskins so we could compare the differences? Thanks.

I also remember when they filmed POF in 70mm and the camera could only run a few
minutes before it had to be reloaded. Did Wayne have the same problem?
findem_killem

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:21 am

findem_killem wrote:The TCM version, was that a 35mm print or a 70mm print? Was it cropped on the
ends? Could someone please post a 35mm print next to the 70mm print of Wayne in
his buckskins so we could compare the differences? Thanks.

I also remember when they filmed POF in 70mm and the camera could only run a few
minutes before it had to be reloaded. Did Wayne have the same problem?

Imax runs horizontally through the camera, thus, since it is laying down 24 frames per second LENGTHWISE instead of vertically, it must move the film MUCH faster than TODD-AO's 65mm negative. A 1000 foot roll of 65mm. film runs, I believe, at the same speed as 35mm. It's just twice as wide. Standard 35 runs at 90 ft. per minute, so that's nine minutes, right? My guess is that an Imax roll would be something like four or five minutes. Can you remember?

Oh, where's my American Cinematographer Manual when I need it???
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:52 pm

The Director's cut is showing on TCM right now. They're just about to go on the raid for the big gun!
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby zapadore on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:31 pm

Ned,...is there a director's cut on DVD availible?
zapadore

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:30 am

zapadore wrote:Ned,...is there a director's cut on DVD availible?

There used to be a bootleg one out of Hong Kong that you could get on eBay. It was just the film without the documentary, INTERMISSION, ENTR' ACTE, and EXIT music, but it was better than nothing. The DVD was likely lifted off of the 3 disc Laser Disc box set version.

Now, my question is, when you buy a DVD movie from TCM, is it the standard studio release, or the one TCM broadcasts? And, if it's the one that TCM broadcasts, does it come in its own TCM packaging?
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby zapadore on Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:54 am

well if and when they release a director's cut on dvd........shout out the news!.....
zapadore

Postby Seguin on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:58 pm

Now, my question is, when you buy a DVD movie from TCM, is it the standard studio release, or the one TCM broadcasts? And, if it's the one that TCM broadcasts, does it come in its own TCM packaging?

If it´s the TCM broadcast version, we could all order a copy and get the complete Waynamo movie. Somebody should send them a mail and ask them about them!
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Fri May 14, 2010 4:27 am

Tired of watching THE ALAMO on television? Here's a link to a 16mm print for on sale on eBay.
( I'd bid on it, but I already have one.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/16mm-WESTERN-Featur ... 5191f9e3bd
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Fri May 14, 2010 1:37 pm

You´ve got a 16 mm print? You´ve got a projector too?
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Fri May 14, 2010 4:58 pm

Seguin wrote:You´ve got a 16 mm print? You´ve got a projector too?

Of course. Doesn't every Waynamo buff?
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Fri May 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Nefarious wrote:

I would´nt know, because I´m an Alamo buff. ;) :lol:
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat May 15, 2010 12:41 am

Nefarious wrote:

Is yours as red as ours? Is it a scope print or just 1.85:1?
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Sat May 15, 2010 4:34 am

RLC-GTT wrote:
Nefarious wrote:

Is yours as red as ours? Is it a scope print or just 1.85:1?

There's a little pink, but surprizingly, most of the colour is still there, particularly the blues and greens. No, it is not scope,
but rather a television-station version from 1969.
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:05 am

I just noticed that Wayne's The Alamo is on The Western Channel tonight -- the pan-and-scan version!!! I can't believe anybody would be crass enough in this day to still run that! Thus, we needn't say it's the short version, but rather that it's the short and narrow version. If you count square inches of image in addition to movie length, it must be like only watching 1/3 of the movie. :roll:
RLC-GTT

Postby Davy on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:58 am

RLC-GTT wrote:I just noticed that Wayne's The Alamo is on The Western Channel tonight -- the pan-and-scan version!!! I can't believe anybody would be crass enough in this day to still run that! Thus, we needn't say it's the short version, but rather that it's the short and narrow version. If you count square inches of image in addition to movie length, it must be like only watching 1/3 of the movie. :roll:

W'all don't just stand there ... somebody git a rope! :x :lol:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:40 pm

They don't show anything in LBX!!!! Encore is a rip-off of a movie channel if ever there was one. If something is pre-1953 it's okay but all tehy show are a few Repbulic films and a lot of Gene Autry and some old Warner's TV shows. There are other things but after two years with it. I've gotten what I wanted cause they repeat and repeat and repeat.
The Alamo isn't worth the time to watch in this fashion. A DVD copy is readily avaliable.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:33 pm

I have a 16mm print of THE ALAMO in pan and scan. I believe it is a television print from 1969. (End of lead says UNITED ARTISTS TELEVISION INC. CIncinatti, Ohio.) It's on five 1600 foot reels. Colour is still surprizingly good; particularly the blues and greens. It doe's have a slight reddish tint to it, but that is to be expected, after so many years. Anyhow, pan and scan though it may be, it's still a part of THE ALAMO history and I'm glad to have it in my collection, along with a 35mm trailer with gorgeous colour.
NefariousNed

Postby garyzaboly on Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:49 pm

First time I recall that the 1960 THE ALAMO was on TV was on NBC in the Spring of 1971. I had seen it in a theater for the last time in 1970. It was shown on NBC in two parts on that first broadcast.
The truth shall make you free.
garyzaboly

Postby gtj222 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:12 pm

I remember it well, Gary.
I was in the service and I got a friend of mine to photograph the entire movie off the tv screen for me. I must have had 350 photos. Of course they are all lost by now.
gtj222

Postby garyzaboly on Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:47 pm

gtj222 wrote:I remember it well, Gary.
I was in the service and I got a friend of mine to photograph the entire movie off the tv screen for me. I must have had 350 photos. Of course they are all lost by now.

In those pre-videotape days I managed to record about an hour of the sound of the best scenes on that 1971 broadcast, on reel to reel audiotape. I still have that reel. Amazing how once that reel of sound was the most extraordinary thing to this Alamo buff. And I also took color photos------only 2 dozen---they came out pretty crappy, but man, it was SOMETHING!
garyzaboly

Postby gtj222 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:19 am

I also tape recorded the whole movie. As I said before....It's that Alamo gene!!!!! :o
gtj222

Postby Davy on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:54 am

gtj222 wrote:I also tape recorded the whole movie. As I said before....It's that Alamo gene!!!!! :o

Heaven forbid we EVER let that "GENE" out of its bottle! :o :lol:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:31 am

garyzaboly wrote:First time I recall that the 1960 THE ALAMO was on TV was on NBC in the Spring of 1971. I had seen it in a theater for the last time in 1970. It was shown on NBC in two parts on that first broadcast.

Yes, I remember that. I'm not sure but, didn't they show it in two parts? Part 1 on Monday night, part 2, the following night.
Or maybe it was on a Sunday and Monday, I don't know. I just remember that I couldn't see the last part because I wans't home that night and I wasn't happy. Up until that time, the only times I did see it was when it first hit the theaters, then again about 10 yrs later at a theater with my soon to be wife, then again about a year later at a drive in.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:09 am

Nefarious wrote:I have a 16mm print of THE ALAMO in pan and scan. I believe it is a television print from 1969. (End of lead says UNITED ARTISTS TELEVISION INC. CIncinatti, Ohio.) It's on five 1600 foot reels. Colour is still surprizingly good; particularly the blues and greens. It doe's have a slight reddish tint to it, but that is to be expected, after so many years. Anyhow, pan and scan though it may be, it's still a part of THE ALAMO history and I'm glad to have it in my collection, along with a 35mm trailer with gorgeous colour.

Okay, so maybe it WAS 1971. All those years ago...
NefariousNed

Postby findem_killem on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:11 am

It was in the late 70s, sometime between76-79 that CBS showed The Alamo. What struck me was two things. First they cut out the Flaca scences so they could show the movie in a two hour time slot. The only time she was shown was when she handed Wayne the letter. Secondly the death scenes were all cut. I remember Wayne running to the chapel door... then staggering to the powder magazine. It was terrible. Anyone else remember this version?
findem_killem

Postby garyzaboly on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:20 am

findem_killem wrote:It was in the late 70s, sometime between76-79 that CBS showed The Alamo. What struck me was two things. First they cut out the Flaca scences so they could show the movie in a two hour time slot. The only time she was shown was when she handed Wayne the letter. Secondly the death scenes were all cut. I remember Wayne running to the chapel door... then staggering to the powder magazine. It was terrible. Anyone else remember this version?

I remember that broadcast too....they cut out much of the blood and gore to fit in with a "kinder gentler" approach to things. In other words, fool the public into thinking that you don't get bad wounds in combat. Ah, the mellow '70s!
garyzaboly

Postby Davy on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:29 am

garyzaboly wrote:
findem_killem wrote:It was in the late 70s, sometime between76-79 that CBS showed The Alamo. What struck me was two things. First they cut out the Flaca scences so they could show the movie in a two hour time slot. The only time she was shown was when she handed Wayne the letter. Secondly the death scenes were all cut. I remember Wayne running to the chapel door... then staggering to the powder magazine. It was terrible. Anyone else remember this version?

I remember that broadcast too....they cut out much of the blood and gore to fit in with a "kinder gentler" approach to things. In other words, fool the public into thinking that you don't get bad wounds in combat. Ah, the mellow '70s!

Hah! the mellow 60-70's .. what a joke! :lol:

Davy
Davy

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:51 pm

Davy wrote:Hah! the mellow 60-70's .. what a joke! :lol:

Davy

Can you say "THE WILD BUNCH"? Sure, I knew you could.
NefariousNed

Postby quincey morris on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:13 pm

garyzaboly wrote:

I remember the second time it showed on TV and they ran a disclaimer over the credits saying that while based on historical events the fim was not historically accurate. And yes-the later showings with the edited violence...
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. C'est de la folie
Marshal Pierre Bosquet
25 October 1854
quincey morris

Postby garyzaboly on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:22 pm

Just dug into my files and found a New York Daily News ad I'd saved from September 20, 1971 (not the Spring), noting Part II of THE ALAMO being broadcast that evening n NBC's "Monday Night At the Movies." Part I had been shown on September 18th's "Saturday Night At the Movies."
Attachments
alamo1971.jpg
alamo1971.jpg (73.53 KiB) Viewed 4933 times
garyzaboly

Postby garyzaboly on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:25 pm

CBS's heavily edited version of THE ALAMO aired on May 1, 1977. Another ad I'd saved, this from TV Guide.
Attachments
alamo1977.jpg
alamo1977.jpg (113.45 KiB) Viewed 4926 times
garyzaboly

Postby zapadore on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:09 am

Think it was the 1976 airing on NBC I remember seeing, in two parts and yes I sat glued to the TV!.....The thing I remember the most was the announcer simply saying as the screen went dark.................."And now,....The Alamo"..............cue in the the overture!..........
zapadore

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:58 am

Television promo still for THE ALAMO.

NefariousNed

Next

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )