Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: The Alamo 1960 on Television

Postby MUSTANG on Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:57 pm

Nice photo there Ned.
MUSTANG

Postby Seguin on Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:15 am

Great looking promotion photo! - "Promotion photo? If you mean still, sir, say still!" :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:49 pm

Here's some graphics from my 35mm Waynamo trailer.

The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:50 pm

NefariousNed

NefariousNed

NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:55 pm

Nice "A" design!
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby garyzaboly on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:02 pm

Seguin wrote:Nice "A" design!

When I worked in the graphic arts industry I learned that the typeface Wayne used for THE ALAMO was called, appropriately, "Latin Wide." Even bought a sheet of it in Prestype to use at home for special projects.
The truth shall make you free.
garyzaboly

Postby Seguin on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:53 pm

garyzaboly wrote:

When I worked in the graphic arts industry I learned that the typeface Wayne used for THE ALAMO was called, appropriately, "Latin Wide." Even bought a sheet of it in Prestype to use at home for special projects.

Latin Wide? I wonder what the other letters looks like. Maybe I can find some samples on the net...

EDIT: I found a sample:

http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/castletype/latin-ct/wide/

- there´s also Latin Semi-Wide, and some other versions too.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby garyzaboly on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:47 am

Seguin wrote:
garyzaboly wrote:

Latin Wide? I wonder what the other letters looks like. Maybe I can find some samples on the net...

EDIT: I found a sample:

http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/castletype/latin-ct/wide/

- there´s also Latin Semi-Wide, and some other versions too.

That's it, Seguin, although "Latin Wide" could also refer to a Bexareno who's eaten one too many tortillas.
garyzaboly

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:25 pm

...that lady who couldn't get up in the doorway when Carlos Arruza came to town. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby Davy on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:26 pm

garyzaboly wrote:That's it, Seguin, although "Latin Wide" could also refer to a Bexareno who's eaten one too many tortillas.

Ohh Ceees-co! :lol:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby whiterabbitt83 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:14 pm

oh poncho
lets went
whiterabbitt83

Postby JoeFDNY146 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:21 pm

Alamo is on tv tonight on ENCWS Encore westerns movie channel 8:00pm EST
Joe :D :D :D
"LEST WE FORGET"
JoeFDNY146

Postby Seguin on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:31 pm

garyzaboly wrote:That's it, Seguin, although "Latin Wide" could also refer to a Bexareno who's eaten one too many tortillas.

RLC-GTT wrote:...that lady who couldn't get up in the doorway when Carlos Arruza came to town. :lol:

Yes, that was hilarious! Bexarenos and tortillas is not always a good mix. :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby garyzaboly on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:13 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:...that lady who couldn't get up in the doorway when Carlos Arruza came to town. :lol:

The Duke should have used that shot for THE END.

(Just kidding) :D
garyzaboly

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:41 pm

garyzaboly wrote:

The Duke should have used that shot for THE END.

(Just kidding) :D

NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:49 pm

The door does seem a bit narrow, and they had´nt invented door steps back then, apparently. :D
Thanks, for the pics, Ned!
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby MUSTANG on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:02 pm

We had the hardest time trying to figure out exactly where that scene was filmed. With Rich's help, we now know it was on Back Street,
on the opposite side of the street from where the current day rest-rooms are. Just a bit down the way. I'm sure Rich will give us all
specific directions.
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:06 am

MUSTANG wrote:Image
We had the hardest time trying to figure out exactly where that scene was filmed. With Rich's help, we now know it was on Back Street,
on the opposite side of the street from where the current day rest-rooms are. Just a bit down the way. I'm sure Rich will give us all
specific directions.

Glad to oblige. The wall at the extreme left edge of the picture is the cemetary wall facing the end of the street where the restrooms are. The building is our maintenance chop (sorry, shop).
RLC-GTT

Postby garyzaboly on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:25 am

JoeFDNY146 wrote:Alamo is on tv tonight on ENCWS Encore westerns movie channel 8:00pm EST
Joe :D :D :D

Relaxing on my bed last night I saw parts of that broadcast of THE ALAMO, and thought how I now take it for granted that the film often appears on TV like this, and how I own readily-accessed tape and dvd copies of the film. I also recalled how, back in 1967, when the film was re-released, I used to go back to see it time and again just to drink in as much of it as possible, to sear it all onto my brain. I remember coming home late at night after seeing it twice (it was part of a double-feature).

And now, it's always on TV. No need to rush to see it in case it's never released again to theaters.

On the other hand, there is no experience like seeing THE ALAMO on a wide theater screen, with its sharp-as-nails images, gloriously rich colors, and incredible sound. I miss that, and envy anyone who will be seeing it on the IMAX screen next year.
garyzaboly

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:57 pm

Amen, Zaboly. Amen.

On its first general release in 1961, I would get out of school at 3:30, hurry to the Victoria Theater (walking distance in Shamokin, PA), get there in time to march down the aisle as the pre-battle Deguello march was being played, sit through the battle and then two more shows. Fortunately it was the 161 minute version and NOT a double feature. Yes, something is lost with its ready availability today.
RLC-GTT

Postby Davy on Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:49 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:Amen, Zaboly. Amen.

On its first general release in 1961, I would get out of school at 3:30, hurry to the Victoria Theater (walking distance in Shamokin, PA), get there in time to march down the aisle as the pre-battle Deguello march was being played, sit through the battle and then two more shows. Fortunately it was the 161 minute version and NOT a double feature. Yes, something is lost with its ready availability today.

Rich ... did you have to walk barefoot 5 miles each way up hill to watch it? :o :lol:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:29 pm

....With an anvil on your chest???
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby garyzaboly on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:45 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:Amen, Zaboly. Amen.

Those were the days when movie theaters were not glorified livingrooms but PALACES.
And boy, did the big Loews 175th Street Threater have some great buttered popcorn---which is what I always bought when I went to see THE ALAMO.

The theater is now a church. What irony.
garyzaboly

Postby AlamoMo on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:58 pm

Is this the place Gary ????

Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby Davy on Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:04 pm

Yepper the Worth Theater in Ft Worth, Texas was like that ... had an Egyption motiff ... several stories tall, and at least 2 or 3 balconies ... a grand place where I first saw the Wayne Alamo epic, True Grit, War Wagon, even Planet of the Apes :( ! You literally could get lost in the place ... I did many times as a kiddoe! Those were real movie theaters then brother! :o :x

Da y
Davy

Postby garyzaboly on Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:31 pm

AlamoMo wrote:Is this the place Gary ????

'Mo, your durn tootin'!!!

I saw THE ALAMO on its original release there (in either late '60 or '61---geez are we old or what LOL), and on its re-release in the Spring of '67. So whenever I see that marquee all I see on it are "THE ALAMO * John Wayne * Richard Widmark * Laurence Harvey"

Also recall that it was double-featured with THE SECRET INVASION in 1967, which I saw so many times I can still hum its theme song.
garyzaboly

Postby garyzaboly on Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:34 pm

Davy wrote:Yepper the Worth Theater in Ft Worth, Texas was like that ... had an Egyption motiff ... several stories tall, and at least 2 or 3 balconies ... a grand place where I first saw the Wayne Alamo epic, True Grit, War Wagon, even Planet of the Apes :( ! You literally could get lost in the place ... I did many times as a kiddoe! Those were real movie theaters then brother! :o :x

Da y

You got that right, Davy! Rich carpets, throne-like seats in waiting rooms, gold-plated baroque/oriental decor, mirrors everywhere, marble staircases to the restrooms LOL----kids today don't know what they're missing. And the screen sizes----monumentally big! They put you right in the action, really.

TV, no matter the size of today's wide home screens, just cannot duplicate that effect.
garyzaboly

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:08 am

We had the pleasure of watching the new "Star Trek" a couple of weeks ago on a white garage with a computerr projector.
Also we got to watch earlier in the year Disn'ey's "20,000....." WOW!!!! We didn't have time for Wayne's Alamo and it's a DVD copy of the Laser. At over three hours it's a little long after doing three scuba dives earlier in the day.
Those projection machines are fantastic. We also had stereo sound. Maybe we'll do the Alamo next time.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby caplock on Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:28 am

garyzaboly wrote:You got that right, Davy! Rich carpets, throne-like seats in waiting rooms, gold-plated baroque/oriental decor, mirrors everywhere, marble staircases to the restrooms LOL----kids today don't know what they're missing. And the screen sizes----monumentally big! They put you right in the action, really.

Yeah, and you didn't have to worry about the sound from the movie next door bleeding into your auditorium.
caplock

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:28 pm

For those of you coming to the gala celebration of THE ALAMO next month who may still be pining to see the movie on film, I could
break out one of my 16mm television prints and show it---iffen we git the time.

NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:31 pm

A private viewing of the Waynamo! Not bad at all...
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:13 pm

But it's a "flat" print -- pan-and-scan. No? But it might be fun just to smell celluloid again. :lol: It's been so long.
RLC-GTT

Postby Seguin on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:00 pm

For those of you coming to the gala celebration of THE ALAMO next month who may still be pining to see the movie on film, I could
break out one of my 16mm television prints and show it---iffen we git the time.
Attachments
spirit-2.jpg
spirit-2.jpg (54.35 KiB) Viewed 2518 times
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Rick on Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:09 pm

I was all excited when NBC decided to give The Alamo its first network TV airing in September 1971, Part I on Saturday Night at the Movies, Part II following on Monday Night at the Movies.

No VCR's back then; I was so ticked off at missing Part I because of an event I couldn't get out of, but then realized all the good gunfire scenes were gonna run on Monday night.

I also caught showings over the years on different networks, and quickly learned to hate three words in particular:

EDITED FOR TELEVISION

These three words always, always, popped up during the same scene: when Houston and the boys come thundering on horseback from behind the camera and heading for Bexar.

In fact, each time I watch my DVD version now, I see that spot and thank god for no more network showings.

If you have the expanded original soundtrack CD (and because I have no idea how to post a link to this particular spot on the soundtrack), cue up the second selection: Main Title/Legend of the Alamo/Sam Houston. It's 3:17 long. The spot I'm referring to comes at the 2:48 mark.

Every time I hear this part of the score, I think "(insert colorful cusswords) Edited For Television!"
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick

Postby ScottG on Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:52 am

I remember that first showing on NBC. In those days, without VCRs and cable, showing feature films on the three networks was still a big part of their programming. I clearly remember about a month before the showing, in August, watching an NBC preview show for their fall programming. One segment highlighted the feature films that would be shown that season. I don't know who was doing the narration but I 'bout fell off my chair when I saw a the clip of the Mexican artillary line firing to open the Final Assault and I hear "John Wayne and Richard Widmark hold down the fort at "The Alamo" , then cut to Duke firing at the pallisade. The three or four weeks between the preview and the showing were hell to live through in anticpation!
ScottG

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:09 am

Sort of like my seeing Spirit of the Alamo on TV on November 14 and then still having to wait until after new years to see the movie when it would finally hit the general release in 35 mm. We couldn't go to Philadelphia to see it in Todd-AO. Longest two or three months in Curillian history. Also the two or three weeks that I already had the soundtrack album but no stereo to play it on and had to wait until Christmas -- EVEN THOUGH I KNEW THE PORTABLE STEREO WAS RIGHT UNDER MY BED!!! ;)
RLC-GTT

PreviousNext

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )