Alamo Mo's Waynamo

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: Alamo Mo's Waynamo

Postby RCO-LUFKIN on Thu May 26, 2011 1:49 pm

Nefarious wrote:A real worry on the set.

Nef, please explain about the rocks and nails. Also the hat John Wayne is wearing looks exactly like the same hat he wore in Rio Bravo.
RCO-LUFKIN

Postby NefariousNed on Thu May 26, 2011 2:02 pm

RCO-LUFKIN wrote:
Nefarious wrote:A real worry on the set.

Nef, please explain about the rocks and nails. Also the hat John Wayne is wearing looks exactly like the same hat he wore in Rio Bravo.

Yeah, that was one of Wayne's favorite hats. I think he finally ended up giving it (or one like it) to director Burt Kennedy.

As to the rocks and nails, there was some talk how some Mexican extras were putting such down their gun barrels during the battle scenes.
Even with a blank, the projectiles would still be sent quite a distance. Don't know if anyone was ever really hurt by this, though. I seemed to
recall getting this information a few years back from Ruben Padilla III when he was a guest at one of Joe Musso's Alamusso gatherings.

Perhaps John (Mustang) Farkis can add a little to this.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby MartyB on Thu May 26, 2011 2:09 pm

I read a biography many years ago that stated that the hat JW wore in Fort Apache was his favorite hat and that he did indeed give it
to director Burt Kennedy. I think it suited him. He probably wore it to its best effect in 'Hondo'.
Attachments
Z_2.jpg
Z_2.jpg (102.63 KiB) Viewed 3619 times
Marty Brazil
Our past is not a dead past, but still lives. Our forefathers created the present by their sacrifice of the past. What they dreamed, we live…and…what they lived we dream.
MartyB

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu May 26, 2011 11:40 pm

Some of you may remember a photo I took during Alamo: 13 Months to Completion. It is part of the six panel photo exhibit that Lashawn and I assembled for the Imax Theater exit in 1987 and shows a picture of Happy Shahan presenting Burt Kennedy with a framed photo of Duke directing The Alamo wearing the same hat that Burt is wearing directing his Alamo movie -- the cavalry hat you are talking about. In truth, there would have been several of them -- always a backup for loss or damage. I remember Michael Wayne showing off *the* original Hondo hat in a documentary on the DVD of the movie and taking it from a vault storage case marked "Hondo." So, who knows. :roll:
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Fri May 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Re; nails. Exactly! I've heard it from more than one individual (stuntmen, actors, extras, etc) that the Mexican extras were really getting into the assault. Loading rifles with rocks, etc. When the "defenders' starting getting hit, they took offense at that and started loading their rifles with the same. Wayne had to call a halt to the filming and chew out everyone for their actions.
MUSTANG

Postby batjacdon on Fri May 27, 2011 3:26 pm

Concerning the JW hat, take a closer look at Burt Kennnedy's hat and you will notice that it is a copy. The top crease point of the original has a worn hole in it from JW's habit of pressing the crease together when he was holding the hat. It may have been the hat he wore in "Stagecoach", reblocked for "Fort Apache", but no one is sure about that. It was first worn, if not in "Stagecoach" then in "Fort Apache" and most of the Westerns JW made during the late 40's and throughout most of the 50's. The last time it appeared in a John Wayne movie was "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" ( it was sitting on top of the casket along with his boots). JW loaned the hat to Sammy Davis Jr. for "Sergents Three", and it was pretty worn out by that time. He considered it his "lucky hat" and tried to sneak it into a movie whenever he had the chance. Look at his scarf he wore in "THE ALAMO"...the red white and blue scarf he wore with the fring jacket. That was a gift from John Ford and he wore it in "Stagecoach" the first time and in several Westerns from that point on. Back in 1987 my wife and I were at Batjac and were looking at some 3D pictures of JW wearing both the hat and scarf and I mentioned to Toni LaCava that I understood that JW threw the hat away and Michael Wayne came around the corner and said "look over there". The hat was sitting on a bust of JW and I had missed it! So, I was lucky enough to have tried the hat on and Michael took a couple of pictures of me holding it which I have framed. If I can figure out how to download those shots I will include them here if anyone is interested.
batjacdon

Postby NefariousNed on Fri May 27, 2011 3:38 pm

Thanks, Don! Here's a couple of photos showing Wayne and Burt in their respective hats.
ImageImage
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Rick on Sat May 28, 2011 3:24 am

batjacdon wrote: Back in 1987 my wife and I were at Batjac and were looking at some 3D pictures of JW wearing both the hat and scarf and I mentioned to Toni LaCava that I understood that JW threw the hat away and Michael Wayne came around the corner and said "look over there". The hat was sitting on a bust of JW and I had missed it! So, I was lucky enough to have tried the hat on and Michael took a couple of pictures of me holding it which I have framed. If I can figure out how to download those shots I will include them here if anyone is interested.

Have you scanned them yet? If so, please post 'em.
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat May 28, 2011 5:21 am

Hahahaha! This hat thing is beginning to sound like the Bowie Knife. Everybody owns the original.
RLC-GTT

Postby Seguin on Sat May 28, 2011 6:19 am

Here's a couple of photos showing Wayne and Burt in their respective hats.

Wayne´s hat band is wider than Kennedy´s, plus Kennedy´s has a couple of tassels attached to it.

Hahahaha! This hat thing is beginning to sound like the Bowie Knife. Everybody owns the original.

Right, and they all got it as a present from Wayne. :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Sat May 28, 2011 11:06 am

Two things about "THE" hat. Pilar saved it from the house fire and it was pretty much destroyed by Sammy Davis Jr in the shoot from "Sergeants 3". I have this from somewhere in my books of John Wayne but just can't place them. I do recall Duke was a bit upset over the hat being messed over by the Rat Pack antics on the set. I think I've got it right but you who really know let me know.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat May 28, 2011 4:37 pm

Getting right down to it, any Hollywood cavalry hat would look just like that after a few years of significant wear by someone who took it off his head regularly. That's just how that hat ages. I had one that was much less "real" than that, and it looked the same way in it's post-prime (it's true quality time). It developed a hole in the same place due to the pinch necessary to remove it from my head.

Conclusion: Wayne probably had several "THE" hats, and, like Bowie and his knives, later used them as "presentation hats." So, at the risk of revealing a peculiarly Curillian philosophy, most of the hat claims are truthful -- and most of the knife claims too, no doubt.
RLC-GTT

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Sat May 28, 2011 4:55 pm

Okay I will agree with most of that but I'm stickin' to the written word about "The" hat. I get an A- on this one Professor.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat May 28, 2011 4:58 pm

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:Okay I will agree with most of that but I'm stickin' to the written word about "The" hat. I get an A- on this one Professor.

....he says, grinning at me from under an Alamo Village Special "coon" skin cap. :lol:
Attachments
POLECAT2.jpg
POLECAT2.jpg (42.04 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat May 28, 2011 5:02 pm

I do believe Wayne had his favorite. That is totally normal. Giving away your favorite -- or letting somebody use it up -- that's what's extreme. But I'm real stingy that way. He probably wasn't. ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby Doc on Sat May 28, 2011 11:45 pm

Wow! Who designed that cap? Marge Simpson?
Doc

Postby wconly on Sun May 29, 2011 2:34 am

Doc wrote:Wow! Who designed that cap? Marge Simpson?

Probably the same person who designed the coonskin hat for the actor in The Alamo 2004 as he portrayed his version of Davy Crockett :? :o ! W>
wconly

Postby Seguin on Sun May 29, 2011 4:40 am

RLC-GTT wrote:
Fargo Fenwyck wrote:Okay I will agree with most of that but I'm stickin' to the written word about "The" hat. I get an A- on this one Professor.

....he says, grinning at me from under an Alamo Village Special "coon" skin cap. :lol:

I knew Fargo has brains, but not that he´s a real "egg head". :o :shock: :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun May 29, 2011 7:02 am

Hey! I didn't have anything to do with that hat! Somebody hacked my post! :lol: That is skullduggery! :lol: :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby wconly on Sun May 29, 2011 12:24 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:Hey! I didn't have anything to do with that hat! Somebody hacked my post! :lol: That is skullduggery! :lol: :lol:

You're sooooo right Rich...after all look at the crown on that puppy :roll: !!!! W>
wconly

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Sun May 29, 2011 12:35 pm

I'll have you all know I purchased that hat at the Alamo Village that very day. I reckon it just grew on me. Thank you kindly.
I also don't "LEND" highly praised items out. People just take care of them as you do. I have a signed hard book copy of
"Prince Valiant" by Hal Foster. I let someone borrow it and it came back with the binding in bad shape. Never after that do
lend items. However if they want to look at it at my house I have no problem.
Attachments
FargoMissKitty.jpg
FargoMissKitty.jpg (12.04 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun May 29, 2011 9:07 pm

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:I'll have you all know I purchased that hat at the Alamo Village that very day. I reckon it just grew on me. Thank you kindly.
I also don't "LEND" highly praised items out. People just take care of them as you do. I have a signed hard book copy of
"Prince Valiant" by Hal Foster. I let someone borrow it and it came back with the binding in bad shape. Never after that do
lend items. However if they want to look at it at my house I have no problem.

I see now why your coonskin cap suddenly grew to ten times its height. Look at the woman who sold it to you!!! :lol: (Jana has tamed that explosion down in recent years. I'm sorry, I mean "Miss Kitty." :oops: )
RLC-GTT

Postby Seguin on Mon May 30, 2011 1:45 am

I have a signed hard book copy of "Prince Valiant" by Hal Foster. I let someone borrow it and it came back with the binding in bad shape.

That´s sacrilege! It´s no doubt a valuable book and it´s almost impossible to replace. I can´t even imagine why somebody would mistreat such a rarity, and a borrowed book at that.

Never after that do lend items. However if they want to look at it at my house I have no problem.

That´s my policy too. I´ve lost too many items over the years by lending them to people.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 30, 2011 2:30 am

I wish I could get there. It seems that no matter how often I end up regretting lending a book or whatever to someone, I'll do it again -- to the same person who was so careless. I'm missing two of my valued books right now, and, in both cases the people say they returned them to me. I've even done an archeological dig in my apartment and office hoping I could prove them correct, but nope. I'm just out two books.
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Mon May 30, 2011 2:55 am

I've seen your office and apartment. Dig, is right! :lol: .
MUSTANG

Postby NefariousNed on Mon May 30, 2011 2:57 am

Hey Rich, you DID get Walter Lord's EL ALAMO back, didn't you?
NefariousNed

Postby MUSTANG on Mon May 30, 2011 3:13 am

Rich, all kidding aside, did you receive back everything you and Alamo Village loaned for the gala?
MUSTANG

Postby Seguin on Mon May 30, 2011 4:18 am

I'm missing two of my valued books right now, and, in both cases the people say they returned them to me.

That´s the usual explanation one gets. I´ve even experienced lending out a book to a person who then lend it to somebody else (!), without my consent. I managed to get it back but not in the great shape it used to be in.
If the choice is between risking people getting upset because they can´t not lend my books, or me being mad over having lost a precious book, then I choose the first option. ;)
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 30, 2011 6:20 am

Nefarious wrote:Hey Rich, you DID get Walter Lord's EL ALAMO back, didn't you?

I absolutely did. Hey, you're one of the good guys! ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 30, 2011 6:21 am

RLC-GTT wrote:
Nefarious wrote:Hey Rich, you DID get Walter Lord's EL ALAMO back, didn't you?

I absolutely did. Hey, you're one of the good guys! ;)

And just to set the record straight, it ain't anybody in our group. Totally undrelated people.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 30, 2011 6:22 am

MUSTANG wrote:Rich, all kidding aside, did you receive back everything you and Alamo Village loaned for the gala?

Every single item. Thanks. Did you?
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Mon May 30, 2011 4:43 pm

Not yet, although I did receive another pacakage with some of the remaining items. Still have one left to go.
MUSTANG

Re: Alamo Mo's Waynamo.

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:56 am

AlamoMo wrote:Alamo Mo's Waynamo.

A copy of the news release for THE ALAMO is currently listed on eBay with an asking price of $199 BUY IT NOW!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALAMO-NEWS-RELE ... 27befc849d
NefariousNed

Postby alamocentral on Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:48 pm

NED....those of us who are older, bore the HELL out of everyone else by repeating what we paid for something years ago. I paid $39.95 for my copy (autographed by Russell Birdwell), and it wasn't perfect either. Most of us think that Birdwell's News Release is essential, but at a more reasonable price. I've seen them on Ebay for as much as $300. The spine is especially vulnerable. Oh well...times change.
Ashley
alamocentral

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:14 pm

Yeah, I paid $20.00 for it back in 1970 in a shop in Hollywood. It was pristine and still in the waxpaper wrap!
Should've kept it that way. But when folks started asking for photocopies of it, I stupidly complied, destroying
the spine and lessening its worth rather considerably.

(By the way. Back in 1970 I was earning $20.00 a day, so you have to imagine paying a day's wages for it in
today's dollars.)
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:53 pm

My original one was directly from Russell Birdwell Corporation, authorized by Batjac through Mary St. John in 1961 or 62. Pristine copy right from the box. Free. No autographs -- never really an autograph hunter. Years later, at the request of a young Alamo enthusiast from San Antonio, I sent it to him to study and his mom spilled coffee on it and I never reclaimed it. LOL. In the early nineties, after I moved to Brackettville, a coworker at Alamo Village offered to sell me hers (she was a Brackettville resident and got it way-back-when). She needed the $50 and I needed the book, so I got it. It's not in great shape, but I really only wanted it for the information and pictures it contained -- and it had no coffee smell. During our October Waynamo tour last year the day after the DRT "THE ALAMO" Fundraiser, a fellow introduced himself to me as the young man from San Antonio, apologized profusely and wouldn't rest until he gave me $100 as a token. He offered to return the book, but I told him that I had one and that he should keep it. He felt better. I felt better. We both have Birdwell Bibles. I used the $100 well. And I have a new Alamo buddy. :D
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:51 pm

I have a pristine copy as well. Bought it from EBAY years ago. However, I noticed when I looked at another copy, mine was different. The second copy had "October, 1960 stamped on the inside. Mine has no date.
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:39 pm

The one I have now has nothing stamped inside. Don't know about the one I gave to coffee.
RLC-GTT

Postby alamocentral on Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:52 pm

Collectors' Book Store (California) acquired what was left of Birdwell's memorabilia (junk). Amongst the items I bought was the bible. It was autographed by Birdwell in 1966. I thought they were expensive, but like Rich, I had to have it. As late as 1979, I paid $25 for the one sheet and a set of lobby cards (together). Them days are long gone. Lest I confuse you, this was not from Collectors' Book Store! Hopefully, we acquire enough items inexpensively, so that when we have to go overboard it doesn't hurt quite so much.
Ashley
alamocentral

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:30 pm

My acquisition of all acquisitions was the boxed press kit with the gold "A" on the front. The one John used in the Alamo Gift Shop Museum exhibit last year. I got it from a personal ad in Daily Variety in the mid-seventies from an individual for $175. It was chock full of 8x10 glossies, 11x14 matte-finish prints, large transparencies, including the wide tranny of the Reynold Brown key art painting and a set of labeled folders containing feature stories with associated 8x10 clossies. Some of the primary publicity photos of the stars were missing, but hey -- what a grab bag!
RLC-GTT

PreviousNext

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )