Alamo Mo's Waynamo

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: Alamo Mo's Waynamo

Postby alamocentral on Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:13 pm

RICH...what you describe is the roadshow presskit. It is rarer than hens' teeth! It sounds like you have almost all of the contents, as well. Although the color transparencies are great, those 11x14 roadshow BW lobby cards are the real treasure! Each kit was customized to suit the theatre's wants, and there were more or less of some of these items in each one. You could even order these photos in larger sizes (ie. 16x20). I don't think that there were more than 25 of these special kits made. The case looks like an old doctor's bag. When I bid on various Birdwell auctions, I acquired many of the folders you mention (most of the info therein is BS). If Russell Birdwell ever told the truth, it was an accident!

There was a set of 8x10 glossies in said presskit, which was unnumbered, unlike all future Alamo stills. I acquire these from Kenny Pruitt. A copy of the bible was also included in this presskit. The earlier version of the bible went out with reporters who attended the press junkets. The second addition went in the roadshow presskits. There were numbered sets of slides that went to the reporters, as well. I guess we all have something that makes someone else pea-green with envy!
Ashley
alamocentral

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:24 pm

Well, I'm not so sure it is this high-falutin'. The "doctor's bag" is what confuses me and the number. The seller told me there had been 1,000 of them made up. The container is black with a flap that snaps closed. When you open it (like a huge book), there are two sides with maybe 2-inch deep pockets to contain the material. It is made of hard, thick card stock that has like a leatherette surface and used to smell like our old radio (that's not much help). I can't see how there could have been a Bible in it with everything else that was. Was there a lesser version than the one with only 25?
RLC-GTT

Postby alamocentral on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:06 pm

RICH....I've seen the one that Don Clark has. It is maybe 8" thick and 12" or more inches high. I have a poor dupe picture of it...with its contents.
Ashley
alamocentral

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:06 am

RLC-GTT wrote:My original one was directly from Russell Birdwell Corporation, authorized by Batjac through Mary St. John in 1961 or 62. Pristine copy right from the box. Free. No autographs -- never really an autograph hunter. Years later, at the request of a young Alamo enthusiast from San Antonio, I sent it to him to study and his mom spilled coffee on it and I never reclaimed it. LOL. In the early nineties, after I moved to Brackettville, a coworker at Alamo Village offered to sell me hers (she was a Brackettville resident and got it way-back-when). She needed the $50 and I needed the book, so I got it. It's not in great shape, but I really only wanted it for the information and pictures it contained -- and it had no coffee smell. During our October Waynamo tour last year the day after the DRT "THE ALAMO" Fundraiser, a fellow introduced himself to me as the young man from San Antonio, apologized profusely and wouldn't rest until he gave me $100 as a token. He offered to return the book, but I told him that I had one and that he should keep it. He felt better. I felt better. We both have Birdwell Bibles. I used the $100 well. And I have a new Alamo buddy. :D

So, Rich. What you're saying is that you charge $100 for someone to be your friend?
TexianAtHeartII

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:53 am

TexianAtHeartII wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:My original one was directly from Russell Birdwell Corporation, authorized by Batjac through Mary St. John in 1961 or 62. Pristine copy right from the box. Free. No autographs -- never really an autograph hunter. Years later, at the request of a young Alamo enthusiast from San Antonio, I sent it to him to study and his mom spilled coffee on it and I never reclaimed it. LOL. In the early nineties, after I moved to Brackettville, a coworker at Alamo Village offered to sell me hers (she was a Brackettville resident and got it way-back-when). She needed the $50 and I needed the book, so I got it. It's not in great shape, but I really only wanted it for the information and pictures it contained -- and it had no coffee smell. During our October Waynamo tour last year the day after the DRT "THE ALAMO" Fundraiser, a fellow introduced himself to me as the young man from San Antonio, apologized profusely and wouldn't rest until he gave me $100 as a token. He offered to return the book, but I told him that I had one and that he should keep it. He felt better. I felt better. We both have Birdwell Bibles. I used the $100 well. And I have a new Alamo buddy. :D

So, Rich. What you're saying is that you charge $100 for someone to be your friend?

Ha! Of course not. Just the way you read it.
RLC-GTT

Postby K Hale on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:29 am

You made out like a bandit! Ha, I'd part with any book I own except one for $100.
Verum non in verbus, sed in testimonium.
K Hale

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:27 am

Where Mo and family will be staying come High Holy Days.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby wconly on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:34 am

Nefarious wrote:Image

Umh? You sure he and the family will feel comfortable there? Seems a bit small for their usual tastes :roll: ! W>
wconly

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:01 am

Nefarious wrote:Image

It looks like SOMEbody has filled in the swimming pool! Woe is Mo!
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:04 am

O.K. smarty! When we pull that pink junk down, YOU"RE gonna have to find a way to shrink the hospital/Travis H.Q. back down to normal size! :lol:

Ooops! It's past midnight! I gotta go to bed or I'm gonna turn into a glass slipper.
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:47 pm

Although not related to "The Alamo" whatsoever, here's something you might find interesting. While doing last night's research I came across an article about sound effects. Apparently, the crowd noises in "Spartacus" during the gladiator sequences, were recorded at a Michigan State-Notre Dame football game in East Lansing. I guess the Spartan crowd was really yelling for blood. Really!!!!
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:37 pm

MUSTANG wrote:Although not related to "The Alamo" whatsoever, here's something you might find interesting. While doing last night's research I came across an article about sound effects. Apparently, the crowd noises in "Spartacus" during the gladiator sequences, were recorded at a Michigan State-Notre Dame football game in East Lansing. I guess the Spartan crowd was really yelling for blood. Really!!!!

Ha! That's hilarious! I suppose it didn't make any difference to the filmmakers, since they had slaves saying "I'm Spartacus!" without adapting their Brooklyn accent. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:05 pm

Hey, Yo! I'm Spartacus. How you doing?
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:26 pm

Better than Spartacus. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:35 am

What?????? I'll have to listen to the film closer to see if I can hear a distinctive, "GO IRISH!!!"
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:01 am

Sorry, I'll be listening for: "We are.... Penn State!" :D
RLC-GTT

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:26 pm

And why would you expect to hear that at Michigan State/Notre Dame game????
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:30 pm

'cause it's the only battle cry I listen for -- other than Remember the Alamo! :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby K Hale on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:55 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:'cause it's the only battle cry I listen for -- other than Remember the Alamo! :lol:

HOOK 'EM!
Verum non in verbus, sed in testimonium.
K Hale

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:14 pm

"Gig 'em!" (See? I learned the lingo they use down here. ;) )
RLC-GTT

Postby cc nolen on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:40 pm

Try giging a TIGER over here, might be trouble! :o
I gotta say; Those guys in Michigan are pretty rough too....When I was over sales at Century Cellunet in the 90's, we operated in Michigan as well, and I flew up to Grand Rapides quite often...It was more like; Skin that Tiger up there :o
Chris...
cc nolen

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:58 am

A cut scene.
Attachments
CutScene.jpg
CutScene.jpg (24.14 KiB) Viewed 4456 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:20 am

Nefarious wrote:A cut scene.

Flaca's reply? Ohh, it do, it DO, IT DOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
TexianAtHeartII

Postby Alamo_Stu on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:54 pm

Or "Lord above!" "Lord ABOVE!" "LOR...LOR...LORD ABOVE!". :lol:
"El riesgo siempre vive!"
Alamo_Stu

Postby cc nolen on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:09 pm

Well...uh, me and old Dollar have been together fer so long.....but I guess its the better part of valor! :lol: :lol:
cc nolen

Postby nybob on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:31 am

Is that the real deleted scene? That would have won the academy award for Duke.
nybob

Postby wconly on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:20 am

nybob wrote:Is that the real deleted scene? That would have won the academy award for Duke.

Yeah and added another 1/2 hour to the original screening time! But, boy -- what a 'Director's Cut' to look forward too :shock: :lol: ! W>
wconly

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:20 pm

So did he spend the remainder of the night or as we see in the film, he's outside lookin' in?????? Takes some thinkin' on.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby Doc on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:08 pm

"Director's Cut"? I didn't know John Wayne was Jewish!
Doc

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:33 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-WAYNES-THE ... 2587cb22a4
A copy of Alamo Mo's Waynamo Book---"A News Release..." is currently up for grabs on eBay with a starting bid of $100.
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:52 am

NefariousNed wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-WAYNES-THE-ALAMO-A-NEWS-RELEASE-EXTENSIVE-MOVIE-BOOK-/161192026788?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2587cb22a4
A copy of Alamo Mo's Waynamo Book---"A News Release..." is currently up for grabs on eBay with a starting bid of $100.

Is $100 the usual price?
In 27 min. we´ll know how much it sold for.

EDIT: It sold for the starting bid of $100!
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:39 am

I got a pristine, still in the wax wrap copy of the press release back in 1970 for $40 in a shop in Hollywood. That was like 2 days
pay for me at that time, but I had to have it. Then people began asking me if I could make a photocopy of the book for them and
I just ruined it in compliance. :(
NefariousNed

Postby MUSTANG on Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:56 am

Paid a lot less than $100 for mine.
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:04 am

I had a perfect one sent to me free of charge by Russel Birdwell Org. in the early sixties, but sent it to somebody and never got it back. After I moved to Brackettville, a woman who worked at the village sold hers to me for something like $25.00. It's in poor condition, but at least I have it. I would think it is valued at a lot more than $100 as rare collectables go.
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:46 pm

Indeed.
MUSTANG

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:23 am

Call it serendipity. On their last day in town, Jerry Laing and Craig Covner decided to explore the antique malls in downtown New Braunfels.
I hadn't been there for some time myself, so imagine my surprise when, tucked away in a corner nook I espied this nicely framed in museum
glass print of John Wayne's Life Magazine "Statement Of Principle" fold out. It was pristine and original to 1960! I scooped it up right
away. Who would've thought that, on the anniversary week of the Alamo, I would find such a thing in my home town just because Jerry
and Craig had happened to want to delay their departure by browsing around in a local antique mall? Serendipity, indeed.
Attachments
WaynamoStatementOf Principle.jpg
WaynamoStatementOf Principle.jpg (325.08 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:41 am

NefariousNed wrote:Call it serendipity. On their last day in town, Jerry Laing and Craig Covner decided to explore the antique malls in downtown New Braunfels.
I hadn't been there for some time myself, so imagine my surprise when, tucked away in a corner nook I espied this nicely framed in museum
glass print of John Wayne's Life Magazine "Statement Of Principle" fold out. It was pristine and original to 1960! I scooped it up right
away. Who would've thought that, on the anniversary week of the Alamo, I would find such a thing in my home town just because Jerry
and Craig had happened to want to delay their departure by browsing around in a local antique mall? Serendipity, indeed.

Congrats! Talk about getting lucky. It´s great it´s such a flawless copy, frame and all. You could probably sell it on Ebay for $100 or more, not that you ever would, of course. Maybe you should keep an eye on the local antique shops in the future. You never know what else might turn up one day.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby AlamoMo on Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:14 pm

Wow what a find

How cool was that :)

Well done Ned

Mo
Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:54 pm

That appears to be one of the reprints that Life made then and Batjac sent out. There were two different types. One was a large folder with the print of the painting in hard paper that folded out just like the July 4 Life Magazine cover. It also had a supposed letter reprinted in the back from John Wayne in Tanganyika praising Life. The other one (that I received from Michael Wayne) was simply a glossy paper copy of the whole three-page spread that was rolled and in a tube. Got both. That is indeed a treasure, Ned -- and what a coincidence!
RLC-GTT

Postby Don on Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:24 pm

I don't know if this is posted in the correct forum or not but maybe it could get moved to the proper place if I've done it wrong.

Anyone with an extra $1100.00 dollars laying around could own this little keepsake.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scarce-Vintage- ... 4d1bbd5100
Don

PreviousNext

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )