The Extras

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: The extras ..

Postby gtj222 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:07 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Big John was not the fellow Beekeeper snuck up on. He did indeed play Dennison.
That other guy was a different guy....

So Big John was the "I'll just hollar down" guy. Who was the other guy? Anyone know?
gtj222

Postby Davy on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:59 am

"I said 'go down' not holler down"! :twisted:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby MUSTANG on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:49 am

Right, should have been more precise. Don't have a clue as to who the other guy was. I know one of the sentries (Bob, "Halt,
who goes there?) was played by stuntman Jack Williams but I don't believe the two sentries are the same. Would make sense
though. Voices don't sound alike at all.
Attachments
vlcsnap-2011-02-02-23h09m23s236.jpg
vlcsnap-2011-02-02-23h09m23s236.jpg (45.09 KiB) Viewed 7140 times
vlcsnap-2011-02-02-23h15m44s196.jpg
vlcsnap-2011-02-02-23h15m44s196.jpg (29.52 KiB) Viewed 7160 times
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:17 am

Not the same.

I wanna say the guy's name is Smokey Chisem, a Hollywood extra that they Taft-Hartleyed and had him do a line of dialogue.
Why I remember that, I can't tell you, and it may just be hot air.
RLC-GTT

Postby zapadore on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:28 am

Have you noticed that they used Denver Pyle as voice over in a couple of scenes where sentries have dialogue?.....First when
Juan Segiun and son come galloping in with news of San Anna.....then as the tied up sentry reporting to Travis....
zapadore

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:09 pm

zapadore wrote:Have you noticed that they used Denver Pyle as voice over in a couple of scenes where sentries have dialogue?.....First when
Juan Segiun and son come galloping in with news of San Anna.....then as the tied up sentry reporting to Travis....

Where did you hear that????? No, I haven't noticed. Do you mean it was his voice saying "Some of them stepped on me with never so much as a by-you-leave from narry-a one of them."? No way! I'll go listen.
RLC-GTT

Postby gtj222 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:24 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:
zapadore wrote:Have you noticed that they used Denver Pyle as voice over in a couple of scenes where sentries have dialogue?.....First when

Where did you hear that????? No, I haven't noticed. Do you mean it was his voice saying "Some of them stepped on me with never so much as a by-you-leave from narry-a one of them."? No way! I'll go listen.

Rich, Thats the guy I'm trying to identify. He has a very unique voice
gtj222

Postby zapadore on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:11 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:

Go back and listen!!!!!!! It IS Pyle.......listen to the sentry atop the south wall as Seguin & company approach "somebody's coming sinking spurs......"

Then again when the sentry with back to camera (right?) reports,..."throw'd me down tied me up and some of them stepped on my going by....."
zapadore

Postby zapadore on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:15 pm

.....just like ken Curtis with his trade mark 'hayseed' accent used in off and on in The Horse Soldiers,....again in The Searchers,...then in Gunsmoke....for years I simply had no idea that the haggard looking actor with the stubble, squinty eye and hayseed accent was the same actor in The Alamo....I KNOW they used Denver Pyle's voice over in those scenes....the way Wayne allowed John Dierkes to keep popping up again and again......where they figured 'Jocko' looked like the quinessential defender....then Denver Pyles accent sounded like the quinessential defender ala 1960....
zapadore

Postby MUSTANG on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:01 pm

Zap, not that I agree or disagree, but other than listening, how do you KNOW? Had you read that somewhere? Interesting, I never heard that before.
MUSTANG

Postby gtj222 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:49 pm

MUSTANG wrote:Zap, not that I agree or disagree, but other than listening, how do you KNOW? Had you read that somewhere? Interesting,
I never heard that before.

I was wondering the exact same thing?
gtj222

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:50 pm

MUSTANG wrote:Zap, not that I agree or disagree, but other than listening, how do you KNOW? Had you read that somewhere? Interesting,
I never heard that before.

Thank you. That's what I'm trying to find out.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:14 am

O.K. I've listened to both of them -- with my eyes closed. I could hear it with "sinkin' spurs with every jump." But, as far as
the dorky stepped-on tied-up sentry, no way. Different timbre to the voice. But my question still is, "Why do you KNOW
that, Zap?"

It isn't unusual for "wild lines" to be recorded on set by capable actors at the director's request -- and the actor's agreement
(in other words, his ignoring what might be a SAG rule discouraging it) -- and Denver Pyle clearly was going *above and
beyond the call of duty* by taking on additional responsibilities with John Ford's 2nd. unit photography, but DID he do this "wild
line" recording or do you just think he did?
RLC-GTT

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:22 am

Take some thinkin' on.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby Davy on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:30 am

Talkin niver did git the job dun! :o :lol:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby Travis247 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:10 pm

Hey Guys,

Speakin of the "gorky sentry", ever notice he finishes his lines even though someone has their hand over his mouth?

T247
Attachments
vlcsnap-2011-02-05-10h30m30s116.jpg
vlcsnap-2011-02-05-10h30m30s116.jpg (28.12 KiB) Viewed 7088 times
Travis247

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:45 pm

Yes, I sure did! Scary isn't it, what they thought they could get away with fifty years later?
RLC-GTT

Postby Davy on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:40 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Yes, I sure did! Scary isn't it, what they thought they could get away with fifty years later?

Just goes to show ya cannot keep a good man down! :o :twisted:

Davy
Davy

Postby MUSTANG on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:47 am

Watch the soldier on the patrol boat for "Dr. No." He first speaks on a mega/microphone when he calls to Bond/Ursula Andress,
put the device down, and then speaks again and his voice still sounds like it's on a megaphone.
MUSTANG

Postby zapadore on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:59 am

Try to listen to Denver Pyle's lines in The Horse Soldiers if you have this on dvd....then listen carefully to the sentry reporting
to Travis again.....like Ken Curtis Pyle could deliver line using that rube accent if he wished....Curtis did it in The Searchers
and of course in Gunsmoke....
zapadore

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:20 am

zapadore wrote:Try to listen to Denver Pyle's lines in The Horse Soldiers if you have this on dvd....then listen carefully to the sentry reporting
to Travis again.....like Ken Curtis Pyle could deliver line using that rube accent if he wished....Curtis did it in The Searchers and
of course in Gunsmoke....

Possible, I guess. I don't have Horse Soldiers. But again, I'm not talking about the accent. Any good actor can mimic an accent.
I'm talking about the timbre of his voice. The sound of it.
RLC-GTT

Re: The Extras

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:27 pm

From John Farkis. Says John:

Sonny Logo was gracious enough to send me copies of some of the photos that were taken while he was on the "Alamo" set. Here you go! The first is one of his
father Eusebio. He was costumed as Red Infantry and was 54 when the film was made. The next one is of Sonny, age 16. He was a foot soldier. The third one is
of Sonny and his friend Oscar Ortiz. And, the last one is of Sonny in full costume. Very cool!!! Thanks for sharing them, my friend.
Attachments
Farkis1.jpg
Farkis1.jpg (52.06 KiB) Viewed 6349 times
Farkis2.jpg
Farkis2.jpg (95.15 KiB) Viewed 6346 times
Farkis3.jpg
Farkis3.jpg (79.16 KiB) Viewed 6341 times
Farkis4.jpg
Farkis4.jpg (46.53 KiB) Viewed 6347 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:20 am

Wow! These are great! Except for my knowledge of the history of photography, you could convince me that these are old photos of real Mexican soldiers from 1836. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby alamobill on Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:51 am

Of course, the multitude of photos taken on set were from professional photographers. But to see these "personal" photos taken by extras is quite a treat. Makes you wonder (and hope) if any more such photos exist out there after all these years.
alamobill

Postby MUSTANG on Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:08 pm

Sorry for the flying fingers. Sonny's last name is LUGO.
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:06 pm

MUSTANG wrote:Sorry for the flying fingers. Sonny's last name is LUGO.

(See why John needs proof readers? ;) )
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:20 pm

Again. Hardy Har Har!
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:52 am

You spelt harty wrong.
RLC-GTT

Postby cshanek on Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:13 pm

Davy wrote:Ok we know a little about the actors, the location, the film set etc. but what do we really know about or discussed about
the extras used by the thousands in the films battle scenes?

1. How many were actually used? Actual numbers.
2. What & how were they paid?
3. Where did they come from.
4. Where did they stay while shooting the scenes daily?
5. Who made all the uniforms for them?
6. Who trained them
7. How were they notified about working in the film.
8. What were they fed everyday, and how was that handled?
9. Bathroom facilities for that many thousands ... where?
10. How long did they work there?
11. How did they travel to the set everyday?
12. Are there any of them still alive, and can talk to us today about their experiences?

Davy

Davy,

Sorry I am a few years late to the game on this one but I stumbled across this forum while trying to find some screenshots of my mother, uncles, and grandmother. I sent my mother your questions and I received the following info from her:

"Hello!
My son came across your website and forwarded it to me. I am able to supply information and answers to some of your questions, although not from the standpoint of one of Santa Anna’s soldiers or an Alamo defender. Overall, I, along with my Mother and two small brothers, were extras in the film, although I did enjoy a brief period as a “principle” since I was given a sentence to speak.

To the best of my recollection, pay was about $10 per day for those extras, paid weekly. In the film, I was cast as Blind Nell and Jocko’s daughter. As such, I was given three words to say in a humorous scene where Frankie Avalon gets a pail of water thrown on him. My Mother, Blind Nell, asked “What happened?” and I reply, laughing, “she doused him!” Unfortunately, due to the length of the film, my scene was cut-surely not because of the fine acting by this (then) 12 year old. I was paid $50 per day each day that scene shot, about 3 days worth, then I was relegated back to the “extra” status for the remainder of the film.

Most of the extras for the families of the defenders came from our small town of Brackettville, a few drove from Del Rio, a town approximately 31 miles west. It didn’t take long for word to get out that John Wayne was coming to town and a movie would be filmed at Alamo Ranch. It took neither acting or good looks to get hired; you merely filled out an application, supplied your Social Security number, and you were basically told when to show up. There were some extras from California that followed John Wayne to Texas. To my knowledge, and because most lived close by, none of these extras were awarded housing. Some of the out-of-towners boarded with local families and paid the families $2 per day, which included one home-cooked meal. The “big” stars stayed at Ft. Clark It was a hoot trick-or-treating that Halloween in Ft. Clark because the stars handed out money instead of candy!

My day would start when Mom and I would get up (the brothers weren’t needed until later on) from our beds in our Brackett house and drive to Alamo Village, arriving around 6:00am daily. We parked behind a hill (out of filming sight) and was bussed to the set. First stop was to wardrobe, making sure each day our clothes, hair and make-up looked the same as previous days. Why did a 12 year old need make-up? Because we all had to look deeply tanned, resulting in a thick brown pancake application to our faces. I had to have my hairpiece, a very thick braid down my back, inserted daily by the hairdresser before my bonnet was placed on my head. What was fun at first became quickly the part of the day I didn’t like hose first two hours each day. My “new” hair was heavy and hot, and my shoes were a far cry from my comfy penny loafers and sneakers.

There were a number of children in the film. We were schooled in the compound in a room where the windows were boarded up. I am not sure where the teachers came from, but they were not from our local schools. Box lunches were provided by Rolly Harper Catering, and mainly consisted of a sandwich and either fruit or a cookie and a drink. The schooling took up half a day, then we were free to wander around within the compound. However, we were not allowed outside the compound to walk down to where the cantina was located unless a scene called for children there. One such scene in the movie is where “Aissa” celebrates her birthday and all of us kids actually got to eat cake. Most of the stars were very friendly, as well as most of the principle players. Tourists were allowed into the compound and the set when there was no filming. I even signed autographs, so somewhere out there ,there may be an old piece of paper baring the name of one “Stormy Dee”. To this day, I have no idea why I came up with that name, but there it is!

As a 12 year old, I do not recall issues with shortages of bathroom facilities for all the extras. It just wasn’t a concern of mine. At the risk of sounding very brash, I am quite certain that more than one bush on Happy’s ranch received daily moisture, and it wasn’t from the rain In that sense, it was very authentic.

I am sure there may be some of the army's extras still alive, although more than likely they would be in their 80’s and 90’s now.

The premiere for “The Alamo” was held in San Antonio. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend.. According to people “in the know”, the film had many technical errors, such as sightings of a school bus in the distance, as well as telephone poles. At any rate, I enjoyed my short career in the movies and would do it all over again. Anyone need a youthful old lady to play a role????""

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would love to track down some screenshots of my mother and uncles and grandmother in the film (they were extras in multiple scenes, grandmother drove a wagon in one scene and the boys in a scene, were sitting on men's shoulders saying "hip hip horray")

Thanks,
"Stormy Dee" and son.

stormyDee.jpg
Sharyn "Stormy Dee"
stormyDee.jpg (100.1 KiB) Viewed 6104 times
Last edited by cshanek on Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cshanek

Postby cc nolen on Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:42 pm

Now that's cool....thanks for the post.
Chris... :D
cc nolen

Postby Rick on Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:51 pm

Very cool. And if it hasn't already happened, you'll soon be hearing from a certain wolverine/mustang hybrid.
"I haven't seen the Democrats this angry since we freed the slaves."
Rick

Postby MUSTANG on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:44 am

Cshenek, Please check your PM's. John
MUSTANG

Postby MUSTANG on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:45 am

Sorry, that's cshanek. LOL! Flying fingers.
MUSTANG

Postby alamobill on Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:02 am

Seeing the photos of the extras and reading "Stormy Dee's" first hand account of being an extra is priceless! Would love to see and hear more. I was ten years old at that time and I would have forgone Christmas presents, birthday presents, anything to have had the opportunity to be an extra in that film.
alamobill

Postby Davy on Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:00 am

Really cool stuff indeed .. brings it all back to life once more! :)

Davy
Davy

Postby gh1836 on Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:02 pm

Really is great to get to see the old photo's from the set of the Extras. Enjoyed the story by Stormy Dee. Where else could you get all this interesting info on The Alamo? Thanks and " Keep em coming :!: " :D
Gary Heck
gh1836

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:35 pm

Wonderful memories, Stormy Dee. (And that's a wonderful name, too!). I'm sure John Farkis loved it and has been in touch. He has had many many interviews for his book, but it is really unique that you, as a nearly-teen, were sooooo observant and understood what was going on. Many who talk about it, while bringing wonderful memories to the table, didn't really know what all that was that was happening around them. You "got it!" Thanks.
RLC-GTT

Postby Tejas Cowboy on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:05 am

My Dads sister, Aunt Patsy, would have Grandma drive her from Uvalde to Brackettville to try and see John Wayne during the filming of The Alamo. She never did see him(my sister told that story to Happy when we meet him at AV in Dec, '92).

But she did marry Jerry Phillips. Who is Jerry Phillips? Why he was an extra in The Alamo. My Mom said he was standing by a wagon in the background. You know how many scenes have wagons in the background!!!! LOL So of course I dont know what scene he is in. What I want to know who told mom where he was standing and did she see him? She was smiling when she told me Uncle Jerry was in the movie so Im guessing she seen him.
Last edited by Tejas Cowboy on Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
No, I'm with you fellers, not above you.
Tejas Cowboy

Postby MUSTANG on Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:02 am

Your Aunt Patsy is correct. According to my files, Jerry Phillips was in the film and is listed as one of the Travis regulars. I wonder if he is still around. I'd love to chat with him about his time on the set. Speaking of interviews, several weeks ago, I had the pleasure of speaking with Martin Torres and his daughter Misai. Martin was one of numerous extras who appeared in John Wayne's "The Alamo." He shared several interesting stories and even appeared on screen. Below, please see a scene he was in. Although you don't get a clear shot of his face, Martin is the one in the sombrero. One of the Alamo defenders, Julian Trevino, whom I also recently interviewed, is in the act of "killing" Martin. The other Mexican sentry is Ben Vasquez, who is being attacked by Eddie Trevino.

(I'm not able to post any photos but for those who can, it's a part of the "Raid for cattle" sequence.)

Martin shared the names of several other relatives and friends who were also in the film including: Lupe Reyes, Cruz Rodriguez, Jesse Gonzales, Palomon Fisher, Richard Fisher, Santos Ruiz, Tony Rodriguez, Cliff Clifford, Sonny Rosas, and Yndalacio "Lecho" Gonzales all of whom were Gray Lancers who rode with Carlos Arruza, Fidel Torres (his father), Jessee Torres (his brother), Marcelo Hernandez, Joe Felan, Jesse Moreno, Marcos Moreno, Gregorio "Goyo" Zuket, Juan Trevino, Leonel Cantu, Fidencio Carriola, Elmo Flores, Juan Reyes, Don Haby and an individual whose last name is Montoya. If anyone has any contact information for any of the above names, please let me know as I would love to interview them.

In addition to Martin, Lupe Reyes, Cruz Rodriguez and Yndalacio Gonzales also doubled as Bowie Charos.

Thanks, my friends.
MUSTANG

Postby Tejas Cowboy on Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:45 am

My Aunt married a Travis regular! Awesome!

Yes Mustang my Uncle Jerry is still around. Sometime after being in The Alamo he became a professor at a college in Texas and taught drama. He is probably retired by now. I haven't seen him in 19 years. I dont have his phone number or email. My sister might have 'em. Next time I see her I let her know you want to talk to him and pass any info on to you.
No, I'm with you fellers, not above you.
Tejas Cowboy

PreviousNext

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )