The Extras

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: The extras ..

Postby quincey morris on Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:02 pm

MUSTANG wrote:Alright Tim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go! And keep em' coming.

I agree- :D
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. C'est de la folie
Marshal Pierre Bosquet
25 October 1854
quincey morris

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:09 pm

Rick Hassler has kindly provided the following screen captures of Tim and his brother dashing for cover as
the Mexican army rolls into town.

Two brothers standing, watching the horsemen ride in.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:10 pm

Maybe we'd better git.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:10 pm

Moving.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:11 pm

Running! Where's my hat?
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:13 pm

Stooping to retrieve lost hat.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:14 pm

Got it. Continues running.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:15 pm

Running with hat in hand.
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:15 pm

So, just who was it that was so inquisitive as to stand in the open door, Tim?
NefariousNed

Postby AlamoMo on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:51 am

Tim tells us about how the scene above came about:

I will reciprocate with this little story about this scene. My brother and I were in the actual Alamo set along with the other extras and the guy that was in charge of all of the extras came over and said, "Tim, Dan come with me." We followed him along the road from the Alamo to the town set and then he took us to the wardrobe building where they took back the costumes that we had on and gave us some white linen pants and shirts and the the Mexican serapes and straw hats.

At this point the guy that had taken us there had not told us what we were going to do, nor did he tell us where we were going to do it. Next they took us over where a lady with a very large bag of makeup took some very dark makeup out of that bag and proceeded to cover our faces and hands (the only skin that was showing in these new costumes) After that, the same guy that had come to get us led us down the entire length of the street that runs in back of the Cantina. When we got to about 1/2 of the way down the street we started to see more people and the camera and lighting gear set at the farthest end of the street. We simply thought that as usual that we would be stuck in the background of another shot.

Little did I know that the next 20 minutes of my life was going to be very exciting. As we got closer to where the camera crew was set up, we also saw the Duke in his Director's chair get up and start walking towards us. When he finally got to us he smiled and asked us how we were doing and then crouched down, put his hand on each of shoulders and proceeded to tell us what we were there to do. He asked us our names and then said..."Tim...when I say action, I want you to point down the street (the same direction that we had just come from) and then I want you to turn around and run up and jump into that window and shut both shutter in back of you. Do you think you can do that? Of course, I said..."yes sir!" (Having an Air Force officer for a Father, anything less than "yes sir" would have gotten me in trouble, even though my Father was 30 miles away at the base in Del Rio.) He then turned to my brother and said, "Dan...all I want you to do is turn toward the gate opening over there and run through the opening...some men will shut the gate behind you." Can you do that? Of course another "yes sir" was in order.
Then he said..."now we're gonna practice what I just told you, OK?" And yet another "yes sir" rang out, only this time it was in stereo!

So here we go...time for the run through. Everything went very well on the very quick run through, so now they are cueing the Lancers that had gathered at the end of the street to get ready for the ACTION command. Duke goes in and says a couple of things to the crew and then he goes back and sits in his chair. LIGHTS...SPEED...CAMERA and ACTION!

Now at this point, I was very confident that everything would go off without a hitch...Hell...we had just practiced this very simple task and I looked like a graceful gazelle jumping into that window on the practice run. All my younger brother had to do was turn around to his left and run through an opening... what could go wrong? This was going to be a one-take shot!

ACTION...I point down the street with my right arm and turn just as I had done in practice...my brother for some unknown reason, decided that his right had suddenly become his left and turned right into me, knocking my straw hat off of my head. I started to bolt for the window, and then I thought I should probably go back and get my hat before performing another stellar Barishinikov leap into the window. When I got into the window I thought..."well we really messed that one up!" I wanted to pop my brother for messing up the scene. Much to my surprise, and to my delight, I heard Duke yell out..."Cut...print that one! As badly as I had thought we messed up his scene...he was delighted with us and proceeded to come up and pick both of us up and hug us and said that we had done a great job..."Thanks boys!" Off to the next scene.

I guess we had saved him time and money with a one-shot scene and had given him the excitement and fear that two young boys would have in seeing the enemy galloping down the street toward them. I wish I could say that we planned it that way...it was just a good mistake for us! What a thrill to have been directed by this giant American movie star that I so admired! And to be the main focus of the scene...double whammy! I will never forget it...I can tell you that!

A large crowd of extras were always around when the scenes were being shot and for this scene it was no different. The crowd for this scene was in back of the Cantina, out of the shot range. My Mother was one of them and she had no idea that the two little Mexican boys that had just done that scene were none other than her own sons. We had been in different clothes when she had last seen us in the morning. We walked up to her and said, "Hi Mom" and her jaw dropped. She said that she had no idea when watching the scene, that those boys had been the two of us. We thought is was really funny. I have a pic of us and will try and post it as soon as I can figure out how to do so.

This is truly a blast from the past for me.

REMEMBER THE ALAMO!

Tim
Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby AlamoMo on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:57 am

Earlier in this topic Tim also told us about another scene he saw being filmed:

The first happened during the lancers invasion. Wayne was directing the scene as usual and the scene was this, and is in the movie. The Lancer's rode in and were surrounding what was left of the citizens of SA. Wayne wanted to show the brutality that Santa Ana was known for for the sympathizers of the resistance. So he directed them to jump down off of there horses and start pushing the people back into a circle with their lances. They rehearsed the scene about 2 times and each time Wayne would tell them that they need to show a little more aggression with the way they were pushing the people back. Well...these Mexicans did not want to really hurt anyone so they were a little timid in their actions toward their fellow extras. This forced Wayne to scream an expletive and then jump down off of his Director's lift chair and take one of the Lancer's lance away from him and he proceeded to knock the guy down by putting the lance right in the middle of his chest. As he was doing that the Mexican Director that the Duke had hired to do some of the translation for him was screaming everything that Wayne was saying as he was knocking this poor little Mexican to the ground. I don't know if the Mexican Director was repeating everything he was saying verbatim, but I am sure that there were some curse words stuck in there somewhere but at that time I did not know any dirty words in Spanish. (I will admit that as I have gotten older, I have learned many!) Anyway...the look on this poor guys face when Wayne was towering over him was priceless. These guys were costing him daylight and money and he wanted them to know that. He got their respect after that.

Here are a couple of photos from that:

AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:20 am

Mo has provided some additional screen captures of Tim and his brother making a run for cover.

NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:20 am

NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:21 am

NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:21 am

NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:43 am

Guys, I'm loving this! Tim, you really bring these moments to life for us. Thanks. Keep 'em coming.
RLC-GTT

Postby Tim M. Cumiskey on Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:21 am

To answer the question about how I got the part in the "Spirit" TV program. The producers had an open call on Fort Clark for kids to come and read the "13 Days of Glory" paragraph. I went to the audition and was pleasantly surprised when the chose me to do it. I was a pretty good reader in school, although you wouldn't know it with the small stumble I made during the reading. Guess it was all the excitement!

I can remember that I had to be on set very, very early the morning of the shoot. I hate to admit this...but I may have had a little stage fright that morning! Even though I had been directed by the "DUKE" during the shooting of the movie, I woke up that morning feeling a little ill. This time, I was going to be the only person in the scene and I think that I threw-up at least a couple of times before we got to the set.

To RLC-GTT: Thanks for your comment. I am happy that ya'll are enjoying this as much as I am. Your passion for this movie and all that it took to make it, is amazing. I would have never even thought that a movie, shot so long ago, could generate this much enthusiam! You energy has inspired my brain to go back and dig deep for any little tidbit to share with you guys and gals.

Tim M. Cumiskey
REMEMBER THE ALAMO!
Tim M. Cumiskey

Postby Rick on Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:56 am

--
Last edited by Rick on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick

Postby zapadore on Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:41 am

Thanks Tim!
zapadore

Postby AlamoMo on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:59 am

Tim kindly sent me this photo to post on the forum for him.

It was taken on the day that Duke was directing them in the
Mexican Lancers arrival scene and Tim loses his hat !!!!

This is Mrs Cumiskey, Tim and his brother

It is a real nice photo of a very happy looking family and I would
like to thank Tim for sharing it with us all.

AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby MUSTANG on Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:27 pm

Absolutely great memories of a wonderful time. Darn, I bet we all wished we could have been there like Tim.
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:39 am

Those are two of the most Mexican-looking Mexicans I've ever seen!!! :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:51 pm

AlamoMo wrote:
Fort Clark and Brackettville was the best place that we lived throughout our family's many moves while my Father was in the Air Force.
I'm sure that you may have seen the massive swimming pool (if they still have it) on the fort...it was almost two American football
fields long and about 75 yards wide. Spring fed by the natural spring water on the fort. (Very cold when they would drain the pool and
the refill it.)

Tim M. Cumiskey
Frisco, Texas USA

Hey Tim, is this how you remember the pool?
NefariousNed

Postby Tim M. Cumiskey on Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:49 am

Yes...and thanks for the pic. What great memories we had there. There was not a lot to do in Bracketville in the 50's, so we spent many a day at that pool. Only a few things that I see missing in this pic is that they had both a high (3 Meter) and low diving board and a lifeguard stand at the deep end of the pool which in this pic, is in the background. The two boards where on the left side as you are looking at this pic about the area that the canopy is seen. They also had two canvas- covered 55 gallon barrel rafts that were permanently attached to the bottom of the pool so that people could swim out to them and sunbathe on them. We used them as something to play on so there were not a lot of adults that would stay on them for long.

Beyond the diving boards, still on the left, there were, and as you can see still are, some massive trees that provided a good area of shade and there were a number of picnic tables under them that everyone would use for lunches The are also contained some Austin stone BBQ pits and the Fort used to throw a really good Texas-style BBQ every now and then for the residents. I can remember that they had some of the best sausage that I have ever eaten to this day. I wish I knew what brand they used back then, as my mouth is watering now just thinking about that delicious smell and taste!

There were days that the Fort would drain the pool to clean the bottom and then they would start filling it again at the far end of the pool with water from the spring. It would take all day and people would use the pool as they would a beach. As the water poured in over the gate like a waterfall the water would slowly start creeping toward the back of the pool. (foreground of the pic) People would lay their towels on the bottom of the pool just as you would if you were at the beach and then wait for the water to get close to them, then move back, and so on and so forth.

I can tell you that the bright white surface of the bottom of that pool was so bright it hurt you eyes...but we were kids and this was like a new adventure everytime they would fill it up. That bright white bottom would also bake you like an oven. Many a day spent at that pool was, at night, a painful lesson on the power of the sun and the not-so-sun-friendly skin of three paleskinned Irish-American boys and one little Irish-American girl. I can remember the skin literally peeling off of our backs after one of these days at that pool. But...as I said, we were kids, and at that time who knew about the danger of El Sol! We eventually got the message and took a little bit of sun at a time until we had built up a tan that would make us look like we had all snuck over the Rio Grande!

By the way, for those of you who haven't been to this pool...the end where the pic was taken is the most shallow end of the pool at about 3 feet. You can see the cement wall that seperates it from the adult pool. The deepest, if I remember correctly, is about 16 feet near the opening to the spring. Try swimming the lenght of that pool. We use to have relay races with our friends and I can tell you that is quite a swim!

Great place to grow up as a kid. Very fond memories there! Thanks again for the pic. Beautiful place...don't you agree?

Tim M. Cumiskey
REMEMBER THE ALAMO!
Tim M. Cumiskey

Postby MUSTANG on Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:29 pm

Outstanding Tim!!! More more more!! How do you like it, how do you like it? More More More!!! Uh oh. Disco. Sorry bout that.
MUSTANG

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:22 pm

That's quite a pool. I did swim the length on my first visit and it was August. I swam it with two indians under each
arm and an anvil on my chest :mrgreen:
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:49 pm

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:That's quite a pool. I did swim the length on my first visit and it was August. I swam it with two indians under each
arm and an anvil on my chest :mrgreen:

Is this Fargo Fenwyck, Fearless Freedom Fighter talkin', or Ron? ;)
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:28 pm

Fargo Fenwick! Half horse - half aligator - half watermellon.
RLC-GTT

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:12 am

That's Fenwyck with a "Y" Buckoo. I actually did swim the length of the pool. We had dinner that evening with Rich at the Fort resturant. Mrs Shahan was supposed to join us but she had to attend to ranch business that evening.
Ft. Clark is another great place to visit. The history that happened there!!!!
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby AlamoMo on Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:47 pm

A question for Tim again ????

The photos below no doubt were taken around the time you were filming
the scene when the Mexican Lancers arrive for the first time and you
dropped your hat, I was just wondering if you were around to witness this
happening when Duke must have been directing or discussing the scene
with the lancers ??

AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby AlamoMo on Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:54 pm

Finally no one can seem to shed much light on the scenes of Crockett and his
men arriving in town { has we know were cut out of the final version } and
once again I was just wondering if you were around on the set when this
below was being filmed ??

Many thanks Tim

Regards

Mo

AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby Tim M. Cumiskey on Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:52 pm

The first set of pics (Crockett entering city) Sorry...as I do not see any extras in the background...this is just a guess...this must have been shot before all of the extras had been called in to the set. I never witnessed Wayne wearing this outfit. And believe me...I tried to be around every scene that I possibly could!

Yes...this was just before our scene was shot. Wayne was telling them exactly what he wanted. They were not to gallop at full speed...more of a slow, "here we are" type of stride. I believe they practiced it two times before we did our scene. I think the Duke was trying to get the timing right for the shot so that he could yell. "ACTION" for me to point down the street and still get the Lancers in the shot just at the right time.

By the way...that burro in the front was a very calm animal. I don't think he ever got overly excited. Guess he wasn't star-struck being directed by John Wayne! HA!

Tim
REMEMBER THE ALAMO!
Tim M. Cumiskey

Postby AlamoMo on Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:55 pm

WOW thanks Tim you were a very lucky young man
to have been apart of this and thank you for answering my question.

Regards again

Mo
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby Davy on Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 pm

Wow neat stuff indeed! A lucky boyo indeed! How many of us would have given our eyeteeth to be there! :o :lol:

Thanks Tim!

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:36 pm

Luckily for Tim, he just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Still, for those of us who were little buggers at
the time, (I was 7 years old, myself in '59) it may not have struck us as signifacent that we were part of something very
special going on. I hate to have to say it, but the first John Wayne movie I ever saw in the theater was RIO BRAVO. I think
the Catholic League of Decency had rated it as a "B" movie, meaning for adults only. The reason I mention this is because
we were pretty much raised and exposed to purely Disney fare like Davy Crockett, Swamp Fox, Johnny Shiloh, etc. After
seeing Johnny Shiloh, I quickly became a Civil War buff. The Alamo was okay because of Davy Crockett, but here was this
kid Johnny taking part in a battle and that was so cool. So anyway, at 7, I was neither a big John Wayne fan, nor Alamo one.
What got me interested in the Alamo in San Antonio was first seeing John Wayne's THE ALAMO in the early Spring of 1961.
Thereafter, from that point on, I would've dearly loved to have been in Tim's shoes and on the set of THE ALAMO. But again,
only in retrospect.

So Tim, were you already a big John Wayne fan and had a knowledge and appreciation of the Alamo in general, or were you
just excited at the time to be in a big Hollywood movie? Sorry if you've already answered this question, but we crotchety old
fellows sometimes need hearing things twice to make them stick.
NefariousNed

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:24 pm

AlamoMo wrote:Finally no one can seem to shed much light on the scenes of Crockett and his
men arriving in town { has we know were cut out of the final version } and
once again I was just wondering if you were around on the set when this
below was being filmed...

The one guy who could answer that question Mo is Frankie Avalon, himself. Anybody ever try and contact him or do I
remember reading somewhere he's not interested. Wouldn't Rudy know something about this???
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby MUSTANG on Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:43 pm

Ron, I tried to contact Avalon through his agent. Not only did I want to interview him for my book, but I also wanted
to invite him to the 50th Anniversary celebration that we were going to have out at the Village. After much back and
forth, all the agent said was "FRANKIE will not be able to participate."
MUSTANG

Postby quincey morris on Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:54 pm

MUSTANG wrote:Ron, I tried to contact Avalon through his agent. Not only did I want to interview him for my book, but I also wanted
to invite him to the 50th Anniversary celebration that we were going to have out at the Village. After much back and forth, all the agent
said was "FRANKIE will not be able to participate."

And what he has said about the Alamo experience in the few interviews I have heard is always the same!
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. C'est de la folie
Marshal Pierre Bosquet
25 October 1854
quincey morris

Postby Davy on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:17 am

quincey morris wrote:
MUSTANG wrote:Ron, I tried to contact Avalon through his agent. Not only did I want to interview him for my book, but I also wanted
to invite him to the 50th Anniversary celebration that we were going to have out at the Village. After much back and
forth, all the agent said was "FRANKIE will not be able to participate."

And what he has said about the Alamo experience in the few interviews I have heard is always the same!

Maybe we need to saddle up and pay this hyar fellar ah visit! Chastised he said! :o
But then ... what do you really expect from a youngin with a skunk on his head the whole film? :twisted:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby MUSTANG on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:47 am

It's funny because Ken Pruitt, who works at the Detroit Airport, met Avalon one evening between flights, and Kenny
said Avalon said the exact same things!!! Boy from Philly, I know rats, etc. etc. Snakes. Wonder why?
MUSTANG

PreviousNext

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )