Bloopers1.jpg
Bloopers1.jpg (88.63 KiB) Viewed 12121 times
Bloopers2.jpg
Bloopers2.jpg (119.03 KiB) Viewed 12125 times
Bloopers3.jpg
Bloopers3.jpg (85.77 KiB) Viewed 12123 times
Bloopers4.jpg
Bloopers4.jpg (119.02 KiB) Viewed 12122 times
Thanks for the photos alamobill, but that is not "Happy Sam". Happy was played by John Henry Daniels. The photo is of his older brother Caesar, who was also John's stand-in. It's the only scene that Caesar is in.

Another blooper. Did you notice in the final battle that Denver Pyle is right next to Wayne on the palisade wall but moments later, when the headquarter's explodes, his death scene is on the top of the collapsed roof. Hum??? How did he get up there?
MUSTANG

Re: Waynamo Bloopers

Postby Seguin on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:43 am

I love the Nock Volley gun wire, and Chill Wills´ sword handle sticking out of his back... :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:02 pm

Is it just bad editing that was missed or due to production costs some of these were left in. The Mexican soldiers standing around Chapel is the nost flagrant to me unless they came in through the basement rear entry. Who would have been on camera when this was filmed? They must have seen them milling about. They stopped production for a watch ticking and being picked up on the sound track for crying out loud.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby Fred on Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:52 pm

Also, when Wayne and Widmark go into the room to talk to Frankie Avalon, who is in bed with a wound, you can see the shadow of a boom or some such equipment moving above them on the back wall. And...when the birthday party scene is taking place, it's day time, but when the little band starts to play, it's suddenly night and there is the flicker of a fire light on the wall. Also, when the Mexican artillery is crossing the river, just before the camera cuts off, one of the Mexican's on a mount pulling the cannon is thrown into the air and lands on the back of another horse. Also, there is a scene during the initial assault just after the women leave the fort and after an explosion goes on in front of the chapel where something in the background flies from the right across the screen and is gone in a flash, one has to stop the film to see it after catching just a micro second glimpse of it at regular speed. Stopped, it can be held in place for one frame only and it looks quite solid and large in the background. Black with no special shape but is eliptical. UFO? Ha! YOU be the judge.
Fred

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:42 pm

Good catches, Fred. I will have to go back and check out the (UFO) scene in question.

One sorta blooper I saw while watching the film just last night occurs during the Mexican breakthrough along the west wall. As the Mexican soldiers are charging through the hole in the wall--- through a wall of flames--- look near their feet. The styrofoam bricks used to replace the knocked down adobe wall are blowing along in the wind!
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Fred on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:18 pm

I'll have to look for that! Also in that scene, the American who falls on the ground dead just before the flaming thatch on the roof falls, suddenly moves when the flames flare up and the heat hits him.
Fred

Postby Seguin on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:13 pm

Very interesting! In the scene, the man to the left of the dummy is soon gone on the next frames, leaving an empty space. The explosion happens in that empty space, and only directly affects the dummy and the guy now standing to the left of the dummy, on the other side of the empty space. That makes me wonder if this guy´s also a dummy? - He certainly does´nt move one bit in any of the frames, like the others do!
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby mrbassbone on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:05 am

No...he is NOT a "dummy". That is Guinn "Big Boy" Williams.

Seguin wrote:Very interesting! In the scene, the man to the left of the dummy is gone on the next frames, leaving an empty space. The explosion happens in that empty space, and only directly affects the dummy and the guy now standing to the left of the dummy, on the other side of the empty space. That makes me wonder if this guy´s also a dummy? - He certainly does´nt move one bit in any of the frames, like the others do!
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
mrbassbone

Postby Seguin on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:26 am

mrbassbone wrote:No...he is NOT a "dummy". That is Guinn "Big Boy" Williams.

Seguin wrote:Very interesting! In the scene, the man to the left of the dummy is gone on the next frames, leaving an empty space. The explosion happens in that empty space, and only directly affects the dummy and the guy now standing to the left of the dummy, on the other side of the empty space. That makes me wonder if this guy´s also a dummy? - He certainly does´nt move one bit in any of the frames, like the others do!

I see! Another theory down the drain. :oops:
Thanks, mrbassbone...
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Alamo John UK on Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:32 am

When Crockett gets lanced to the door the initial point of impact is above his strap but the next scene the lance has clearly moved down a couple of inches to below the strap ?

Alamo John UK

Postby Alamo John UK on Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:33 am

Alamo John UK

Postby MUSTANG on Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:38 am

Don't foget that they had to film this scene numerous times. In fact, the white markings on Wayne's trouser leg is the result of bleach that was used to clean up the "blood" from a previous take.
MUSTANG

Postby Bromhead on Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:31 am

There is also a scene looking at the church , you can see a white truck moving from the right of the palisade.
I would post it but my computer that has the screen capture software is on the fritz... :o
I'll tell my man to clean your kit
Bromhead

Postby gtj222 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:33 pm

Heres one I have not seen documented before, but it does not mean someone else has not mentioned it, I may have just missed the post. Anyway, Crockett offers Travis a drink and he says he does not drink, not ever. Earlier, when Travis is giving his "Better than that rabble down there" speech to Dickenson, he pours himself a drink from a portable bar in his headquarters.
gtj222

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:38 pm

gtj222 wrote:Heres one I have not seen documented before, but it does not mean someone else has not mentioned it, I may have just missed the post. Anyway, Crockett offers Travis a drink and he says he does not drink, not ever. Earlier, when Travis is giving his "Better than that rabble down there" speech to Dickenson, he pours himself a drink from a portable bar in his headquarters.

Ah! But he is merely pouring himself a glass of port in his headquarters room. Many Brits do not consider port as "drink".
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Davy on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:43 pm

gtj222 wrote:Heres one I have not seen documented before, but it does not mean someone else has not mentioned it, I may have just missed the post. Anyway, Crockett offers Travis a drink and he says he does not drink, not ever. Earlier, when Travis is giving his "Better than that rabble down there" speech to Dickenson, he pours himself a drink from a portable bar in his headquarters.

Yeah I noticed that too a longtime ago gtj222 ... and Neferutus as far as places is concerned .. this is the west sir ... and in the west, well drinkin whiskey is drinkin whisky! :o :lol: Ya got manners ainchas? :cry:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:50 pm

Okay, while we're on the subject of blatant script-writing descrepancies, when Crockett is introducing himself in Flaca's room, he asserts, "Ma'am, modesty prevents me from stating that I am widely know for my honesty." Later, back in Travis' headquarters, he states "Everybody says I'm a born liar."

Could there have been something in the atmosphere of Travis' headquarters that brought out the truth in people? :shock:
NefariousNed

Postby gtj222 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:57 pm

Maybe he was an honest liar!!! :lol:
gtj222

Postby Immortal Alamo on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:18 pm

I don't believe that's a blooper, Rich. I think Travis is simply lying. All the way through the movie, he lies to his own advantage and I think this is just another example of that. He doesn't really tell the truth until the scene where he doesn't draw the line. I think that's deliberate, just as it's deliberate to always have Travis up high, looking down on the men (thanks for that insight, Brian Huberman).

FT
Immortal Alamo

Postby mrbassbone on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:20 pm

Yes....but TRAVIS was from South Carolina and was NOT a "Brit"...LOL

Nefarious wrote:

Ah! But he is merely pouring himself a glass of port in his headquarters room. Many Brits do not consider port as "drink".
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
mrbassbone

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:32 pm

Well, Laurence Harvey was only a South Carolinian for the first few scenes. Then he dropped the accent.
NefariousNed

Postby Davy on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:41 pm

Nefarious wrote:Well, Laurence Harvey was only a South Carolinian for the first few scenes. Then he dropped the accent.

He ain't niver fit real soldiers afore! :mrgreen:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:05 am

Was there any historical basis for Flaca to have called Santa Anna 'Antonio Miguel de Santa Anna when she read Crockett's bogus letter to his men?
NefariousNed

Postby Immortal Alamo on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:48 am

Nefarious wrote:Was there any historical basis for Flaca to have called Santa Anna 'Antonio Miguel de Santa Anna when she read Crockett's bogus letter to his men?

Speaking of the letter scene, no one seems to have yet mentioned one of my favorite bloopers. Watch and see how Smitty's hat keeps coming on and off, repeatedly. Now it's on his head, now it's on the table in front of him, and back again...
Immortal Alamo

Postby MUSTANG on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:23 am

Exactly, "Why don't we just teach him a lesson?"
MUSTANG

Postby MUSTANG on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:38 am

Frank, re; your comments on Travis and drinking. I agree with the comment on his personality and it seems to make sense but if he was lying to Crockett in order to somehow gain a future advantage, where in the film does he realize the benefit of this lie to Crockett? While Travis treated the relationship between he and Bowie as one of superior/subordinate, the Crockett relationship was treated by Grant as, at a minimum, one of equals, or perhaps the Crockett character is what Travis aspired to be. That being the case, was he trying to denegrate the reputation? Hum, intersting analysis.
MUSTANG

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:38 pm

I mentioned the 'I don't drink' somewhere on the old site and was told that PORT wasn't considered alcohol. Can't get drunk on this stuff.
Smitty had the same coonskin hat that Fess wore when he played Crockett only it kept changing. maybe them racoons have nine lives and a mind of their own.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby Davy on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:37 pm

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:I mentioned the 'I don't drink' somewhere on the old site and was told that PORT wasn't considered alcohol. Can't get drunk on this stuff.
Smitty had the same coonskin hat that Fess wore when he played Crockett only it kept changing. maybe them racoons have nine lives and a mind of their own.

Sounds like either Smitty or the coon had too much of that Port "who hit john" .. thats all .. next! :lol:

Davy
Davy

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:39 am

Immortal Alamo wrote:

I don't believe that's a blooper, Rich. I think Travis is simply lying. All the way through the movie, he lies to his own advantage and I think this is just another example of that. He doesn't really tell the truth until the scene where he doesn't draw the line. I think that's deliberate, just as it's deliberate to always have Travis up high, looking down on the men (thanks for that insight, Brian Huberman).

FT

Frank, this isn't me. Uh... I mean gtj222 isn't RLC-GTT. That IS me. gtj222 (I believe) is one of our resident artists G. T. Johnson.

And, even though it's me, I agree with you completely. I have always assumed that his "don't drink" turn-around is in the same Grantian style as Crockett's change from, "Modesty restrains me from telling you that I am WIDELY known for my truthfulness," to, "Everybody says I'm a born liar." And the set-up/resolution technique of having the "He woudn't have to wait fer Santa Anna to kill him" scene with Mrs. Guy set up the resolution with Jocko and Nell's "It's my right to go an leave you."
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:42 am

Nefarious wrote:Was there any historical basis for Flaca to have called Santa Anna 'Antonio Miguel de Santa Anna when she read Crockett's bogus letter to his men?

None that I've ever seen. I think this was a Grant technique for showing that it was a bogus letter -- they didn't even know his right name. Because Carlos Arruza uses his correct name in the proclamation scene.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:45 am

Immortal Alamo wrote:

Speaking of the letter scene, no one seems to have yet mentioned one of my favorite bloopers. Watch and see how Smitty's hat keeps coming on and off, repeatedly. Now it's on his head, now it's on the table in front of him, and back again...

Got me on that one, Frank! Never saw it. Will check it now.

Sort of like Fess Parker's coonskin cap changing from a real raccoon hat with a face and ring tail to a totally gray fur cap -- from camera angle to camera angle in the Big Foot shooting match scene. I think some costumer or continuity girl was having fun with Fess and trying to see if anybody would catch it.
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:12 am

RLC-GTT wrote:

None that I've ever seen. I think this was a Grant technique for showing that it was a bogus letter -- they didn't even know his right name. Because Carlos Arruza uses his correct name in the proclamation scene.

I understand your reasoning. Still, You'd think that at least Flaca would've know Santa Anna's full name. She opposed him bitterly, of course.
NefariousNed

Postby gtj222 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:27 am

RLC-GTT wrote:
Immortal Alamo wrote:

FT

Frank, this isn't me. Uh... I mean gtj222 isn't RLC-GTT. That IS me. gtj222 (I believe) is one of our resident artists G. T. Johnson.

And, even though it's me, I agree with you completely. I have always assumed that his "don't drink" turn-around is in the same Grantian style as Crockett's change from, "Modesty restrains me from telling you that I am WIDELY known for my truthfulness," to, "Everybody says I'm a born liar." And the set-up/resolution technique of having the "He woudn't have to wait fer Santa Anna to kill him" scene with Mrs. Guy set up the resolution with Jocko and Nell's "It's my right to go an leave you."

Rich, of course you are correct... GTJ222 is G. T. Johnson II
gtj222

Postby Davy on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:44 am

Ya kin see hes lyin .. cuz his lips are movin! :o :lol:

Davy
Davy

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:54 pm

During the battlescenes, I see off in the distance what appears to be white buildings. Are they buildings or are these the production trailers I've read about?
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:12 pm

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:During the battlescenes, I see off in the distance what appears to be white buildings. Are they buildings or are these the production trailers I've read about?

Rich can probably answer this more precisely, but right now, he's just about ready to go out and harass some tourists.

The "buildings" you see were actually long sheets of canvas stretched between two poles. Being in the far background, they were intended to lend the illusion that the town was actually larger than just the Village proper. Rich says that the footings for the polls can still be viewed by anyone who's actually allowed to go poking about there.
NefariousNed

Postby MUSTANG on Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:38 pm

Ah, you learn something new every day. I knew that they were 'flats" but I thought that meant they were more like billboards rather than stretched canvas. Rich?
MUSTANG

Postby Davy on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:56 pm

You go poking your nose out around those flats uninvited ...
you will get more than you bargained for I expect .

Ain't that right Rich? ... its what we do!! :o :twisted:

Davy
Davy

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:56 am

Davy wrote:Image

You go poking your nose out around those flats uninvited ...
you will get more than you bargained for I expect .

Ain't that right Rich? ... its what we do!! :o :twisted:

Davy

Thet thar feller wit the badge has the look thet seys, "if'n you want ta mess aroun out in the flats, ya better smile".
TexianAtHeartII

Postby Seguin on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:53 am

The Sheriff and his Deputy... :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Next

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )