THE ALAMO (1960): The Director's Cut

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: THE ALAMO (1960): The Director's Cut

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:03 pm

My wife and hit some garage sales today and at the first one, they had quite a few VHS movies for sale. I was checking them out and lo and behold, I see a copy of The Alamo Directors Cut for $1. Did I buy it? You bet your sweet A.. I bought it. It seems to be in excellent condition and now I have two copies.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:30 pm

Save it. It may be the only one some day. :roll:
RLC-GTT

Postby SantaClaus on Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:05 am

Today it's Christmas 2016. My son surprised me with a great gift. On EBAY he bought the laser disc set of 3 discs of The Alamo (1960) original director's cut. I don't have a laser disc player. It's still a great gift. I haven't opened it. The box is sealed in that vacuum plastic wrap. I might just keep it that way, kind of like in the old U.S.S.R. when people would treasure an unopened pack of cigarettes as they used it for currency to buy things. What do you think I should do with it?
SantaClaus

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:30 am

Get a laserdisc player on eBay. ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby SantaClaus on Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:30 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:Get a laserdisc player on eBay. ;)

If I buy a laserdisc players and hook it up to my TV, will the movie have black bars top & bottom and left & right because the disc was designed for a square TV? Will the laserdisc picture have more content in each frame, meaning, heads and edges are not lopped off? What has the viewing experience been like for you and others who have watched this on laserdisc?
As for purchasing a player on eBay, I just might do that. On the other hand, Loretta and I have our anniversary coming up in 2 weeks, and I wouldn't want to deprive her of giving me a great gift. :) Of course, my birthday is in 3 weeks and somebody might give me a player. :D And my daughter is getting married in 4 weeks, so maybe I'll buy her a laserdisc player for a wedding gift and then forget to give it to her. :lol:
SantaClaus

Postby Pudman on Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:34 pm

If you have a HD TV that will zoom it might work. I had a TV that would do that. Will be a little fuzzy.
Pudman

Postby John on Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:16 pm

I purchased the 3 disc Laser version some years ago and bought a Laser Disc player so that I could transfer the film to DVD.
I always thought that the VHS quality was as good as I would get, but the Laser is definitely superior -- not up to DVD standard but very good.
You will have to use the "zoom" on your TV remote to give you a full width picture and of course there will still be black bars top and bottom.
You are obviously a great admirer of the film and all I can say is, it is the only way to watch the director's cut -- so you must buy a player !
Once transferred to DVD, you can always resell it !
Transferring to DVD was quite simple, just connect the player to a DVD recorder using a scart lead. Ideally record onto 2 discs for best quality picture without having to change disc very half hour.
I did find the image a little milky, which is typical of NTSC, but an adjustment to brightness/contrast will cure this.
Good luck !
John

Postby SantaClaus on Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:37 pm

Thanks to all who have offered advice and encouragement to buy a player for my lasedisc Director's Cut. I'll get one sooner or later. For now, I'll have to settle for holding the unopened box and staring at it. Kind of gives me a feeling. It's a feeling like you get when you're a kid on Christmas Eve and there's a wrapped present for you under the tree that you can't open until Christmas morning, so you look at it and touch it, but have to wait. It's a good feeling. :D
SantaClaus

Postby AlamoAaron on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:08 pm

Is "Spirit of the Alamo" available anywhere?
AlamoAaron

Postby gh1836 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:44 pm

Aarron here is a link where Spirit of the Alamo is discussed.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=240

To my knowledge it is not generally available. I once research the subject and found that the original is in LA in some library or TV station, I can't remember which and I think they do allow people to see it.
Gary Heck
gh1836

Postby ConnieFromHaiti on Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:44 am

If I recall correctly, "Spirit of the Alamo" is available as a bonus feature on some DVD version of the movie. It seems like my uncle has shown it to me fairly recently that way. I can't ask him as he is currently dashing between gates in Detroit on his way back to Brackettville from State College -- we had quite the afternoon as his first flight was cancelled, the second delayed enough he had to switch airlines, and the third delayed as well so once he landed he had less than an hour to get between gates. I am sure once he gets home, a good night's sleep under his belt and gets online, he'll correct me or provide the details.
ConnieFromHaiti

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:19 pm

I will indeed. It is not generally available and has never been published as an add-on to the movie. The Brian Huberman documentary about the making of the movie has scenes from it, using John Wayne's on-camera narration from it.
RLC-GTT

Postby ConnieFromHaiti on Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:21 pm

Thanks, Unc! :|
ConnieFromHaiti

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:09 am

I do have a video copy of Spirit Of The Alamo. Kenny Pruitt gave me a copy a few years back. I don't recall if he said where he got it from. It was a vhs tape he gave me and when I still had my dvd recorder, I put it on dvd. Haven't watched it in awhile. might have to dig it out and do so.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:28 pm

My copy is also VHS from an unnamed source. When I did receive it, I was greatly surprised. Appreciated very much to this day. Thanks ............
Fargo Fenwyck

Previous

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )