The Reconstruction and Restoration of THE ALAMO

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: The Reconstruction and Restoration of THE ALAMO

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:51 pm

What is the confusion guys? This is the same article that was posted a year ago and it never happened? That article was written in early 2009. The last paragraph says:

"Our goal is to premiere a fully restored 70mm print of the film to play in San Antonio, Dallas and other major cities on or about March 6, 2010 to benefit the continued preservation and memory of The Alamo."

They weren't able to meet that goal, and we haven't heard a thing from them in over nine months. Sad to say, but, without further information, I can't see it any other way.
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:57 pm

Yup. Old news.
MUSTANG

Postby Seguin on Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:17 am

While the General Release cut would be available for DVD and Blu-ray, the Roadshow version of the film is intended solely for the DVD and Blu-ray home video audience.

It looks like both versions of the movie will be available for DVD and Blu-ray.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Davy on Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:48 am

Seguin wrote: It looks like both versions of the movie will be available for DVD and Blu-ray.

The way things are presently it seems, I would not hold my breath ... :x I will believe it when they cross my hot little monkey hands, not before... :cry:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby Seguin on Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:31 am

Same thing here! It almost sounds too good to be true, especially since there has´nt been any updates about it for quite a while. Nice initiative though...
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Davy on Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:01 am

Seguin wrote:Same thing here! It almost sounds too good to be true, especially since there has´nt been any updates about it for quite a while. Nice initiative though...

Well ... talks cheep! Show me the money! :lol:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby Seguin on Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:08 am

Davy wrote:
Seguin wrote:Same thing here! It almost sounds too good to be true, especially since there has´nt been any updates about it for quite a while. Nice initiative though...

Well ... talks cheep! Show me the money! :lol:

Davy

Well, maybe an aspect-oriented reevaluation of the fundamental qualities of the concept is needed. :roll: :D
(Yes, talk is cheap!)
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:40 am

I too hope for the best, but again, the article is a almost two years old and nothing new.
RLC-GTT

Postby Doc on Sun May 11, 2014 7:32 pm

Well gang, I guess today I'm Jim Bonham because I bring news as sad as death.
I dropped in at the Home Theater Forum and read a post by Robert Harris dated 4/27/14. It is in the forum entitled The Alamo's Status. It says
"There is no restoration effort at this time. Which means that there may never be a restoration effort. It appears MGM has chosen to allow the
film to die, as no immediate action will be taken with elements just one stage above that of industrial waste. A pity, but one of many in the library.
Not the way that fairy tales should end."

Subsequent posts by Mr. Harris explain that the film is not chemically inert and is being destroyed from within and that as of today, only a 65%
quality restoration is possible and that's with unlimited funding.

Those of you who wish to read the entire forum can just visit Home Theater Forum, click on Forum (in blue at the top left) then search for Alamo.
Scroll down to the second last entry on page one. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/3 ... getnewpost

Sorry, but at least we can look forward to John's book.
Doc

Postby gtj222 on Thu May 29, 2014 4:06 am

There is a link to both facebook and twiter to tell MGM to restore John Wayne's The Alamo. Please click on it and give what fer. Tell them to restore it.
It is on the following page posted by Ned.
gtj222

Postby NefariousNed on Thu May 29, 2014 4:14 am

Here's the article in full. Let your voice be heard.

Tell MGM it's time – NOW – to save John Wayne's The Alamo
before it's lost forever

May 28, 2014 - 1:09 pm | By Bill Hunt
So... you might recall that last week I had dinner with film restoration expert (and former Bits contributor) Robert A. Harris
and some other friends. (You can find a complete archive of his work on the original Digital Bits website here.) Robert, as
it happens, is in town working on another fine classic film restoration project which will be announced in due course. But
during our conversation last week, Robert alerted us to the fact that another beloved classic film is not faring nearly so well.
That film, as you might already suspect, is The Alamo (1960), directed by and starring the legendary John Wayne. [Read on
here…]

Robert posted a column here at The Bits back in 2009 (see this link), detailing exactly what would be required to restore this
film to its proper glory. At that time, the film was already in dire condition. But it was hoped that MGM could be convinced
to mount a restoration effort. Unfortunately, MGM decided that they were unwilling to spend the money required. A second
option was presented to MGM – let outside corporations or the public fund the restoration effort. This was considered for a
time, until MGM apparently decided that letting outsiders fund the restoration (because they were unwilling to) might be seen
a negative light. So nothing happened.

In the years since, Robert has repeatedly made attempts to get MGM to allocate the resources needed to restore this film,
knowing all the while that the film’s archival elements were continuing to deteriorate. Then, last week at dinner, Robert
informed us that not only had another recent effort to get MGM to reconsider failed, there will very likely never be another one.
Robert has just conducted a test of the elements, and discovered that they’re nearly gone. Here’s an edited compilation of his
latest statements over at The Home Theater Forum on the matter:

“There is no restoration effort at this time. Which means that there may never be a restoration effort.

Several people have raised the concept of going to outside sources for funding. MGM has no interest in the concept, even if the
film is lost.

It appears that MGM has chosen to allow the film to die, as no immediate action will be taken, with elements just one stage above
that of industrial waste. A pity, but one of many in the library.

Not the way that fairy tales should end.

RAH”

Robert’s told me personally that if a last-ditch restoration were started today, the best that could be achieved would be to return the
film to perhaps 60% of its former glory. But 60%, while disappointing, is certainly better than nothing.

It is deeply shameful that MGM thinks so little of its film library that they’re willing a beloved John Wayne classic film be lost forever,
even if saving it means suffering a little embarrassment or spending a modest sum of money. Especially in this, the studio’s 90th
anniversary year.

We’re going to try get an official statement from MGM on this matter, but regardless of anything the studio says officially, Robert has
seen the elements firsthand. His expert opinion (and there are no better experts in the business on the topic of proper film restoration)
is that the film is very nearly gone. There is no more time for delay, foot-dragging, or excuses.

MGM needs to step up – NOW – and give The Alamo the restoration it desperately needs. Or make excuses and forever be known as the
studio that disgracefully let the film be lost.

Do you agree? Then we suggest that you all politely but firmly tell MGM that on Twitter: @MGM_Studios.

MGM Studios can be found here on Facebook as well.

Spread the word far and wide. Get people to politely contact MGM on this in any way they can. And act fast. The film is out of time.

Stay tuned…

- Bill Hunt
Published in My Two Cents
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Thu May 29, 2014 4:15 am

http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-tw ... 52814_1330

Folks, this is important. If you really want the 70 mm Director's Cut version of John Wayne's
THE ALAMO restored, let your voice be heard now.

Read the above attached article and then take action. As the article concludes: "...MGM needs to step up – NOW – and give The Alamo the
restoration it desperately needs. Or make excuses and forever be known as the studio that disgracefully let the film be lost.

Do you agree? Then we suggest that you all politely but firmly tell MGM that on
Twitter: @MGM_Studios.

MGM Studios can be found ... on Facebook as well."
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Thu May 29, 2014 5:56 pm

If getting the only known 70 mm film print of THE ALAMO restored is important to you, act now by getting in touch with MGM at www.mgm.com

I would think each and every member of a website called www.johnwayne-thealamo.com would want to settle for nothing less.
NefariousNed

Postby cc nolen on Thu May 29, 2014 5:57 pm

Thanks Ned....I'm on it
Chris...
cc nolen

Postby MartyB on Thu May 29, 2014 6:16 pm

NefariousNed wrote:If getting the only known 70 mm film print of THE ALAMO restored is important to you, act now by getting in touch with MGM at http://www.mgm.com

I would think each and every member of a website called http://www.johnwayne-thealamo.com would want to settle for nothing less.

I don't do that Twitter Crap...but I posted on their Facebook page...

I doubt it will do any good...When is the last time Hollywood did anything right let alone the right thing????
Attachments
0_00_e3a.jpg
0_00_e3a.jpg (85.06 KiB) Viewed 9331 times
Marty Brazil
Our past is not a dead past, but still lives. Our forefathers created the present by their sacrifice of the past. What they dreamed, we live…and…what they lived we dream.
MartyB

Postby Doc on Thu May 29, 2014 7:11 pm

Just did my part over at MGM. Looks like quite a few fans are getting the word. I agree that it probably won't do much good, but I would feel terrible if I didn't at least "cross the line".
Doc

Postby Seguin on Fri May 30, 2014 6:41 am

I made a post about the restoration at MGM´s page on Facebook. I believe theres well over 100 such posts at the moment.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Fri May 30, 2014 5:19 pm

Seguin wrote:I made a post about the restoration at MGM´s page on Facebook. I believe there's well over 100 such posts at the moment.

Good! Let's keep the ball rolling, people. Wayne's THE ALAMO is why most of us are here on this forum in the first place. Don't just let it go without a whimper.
NefariousNed

Postby gtj222 on Fri May 30, 2014 6:59 pm

Ever little bit helps. We need thousands.
gtj222

Postby Doc on Fri May 30, 2014 8:23 pm

For whatever good it may have done, I posted notice of this grass roots petition with our friends at the John Wayne Message Board, the New Frontier
Facebook page and on TCM message board. I also contacted some stalwart fans in the UK. TCM doesn't have many Duke fans, but since that station
shows the director's cut, I figured I'd give it a try.

We do have to keep the momentum going.
Doc

Postby Doc on Fri May 30, 2014 8:42 pm

Home Theater Forum has set up a list of links to MGM, including snail mail addresses and names of executives. It's in their Forum section.
Doc

Postby Travis247 on Sat May 31, 2014 4:58 pm

Boys and Ladies,

I know nothin' about the restoration of films and what not, but if they can colorize Miracle on 34th street why can't they do something with our Alamo? I'm busy painting the Mexican tri-color "bullseye" on some 500 additional soldados I just bought in 1/72 scale, so I'm not keepin' up with this restoration bizz. I will try to follow all your posts.

Frank Travis247
Travis247

Postby Doc on Sat May 31, 2014 5:34 pm

The Digital Bits has posted an update on the save the Alamo campaign. MGM's spokesperson doesn't seem to grasp that the film is in any danger. Sigh! I'm going to bang my head against a wall for awhile.
Doc

Postby AlamoGill on Sat May 31, 2014 6:29 pm

I thought I would join in on this discussion as Mo is indisposed at the moment and I know how much it means
to Mo and most of you on the forum

Here is the Bill Hunt update:

Editor’s Note: This this section has been updated for accuracy with information directly from Robert Harris on Digital Bits as of 5/31.

According to Robert, all versions of The Alamo are currently endangered. The film’s original 65mm elements are essentially gone,
both for the 202-minute roadshow version and the 167-minute cut down version. The roadshow version could possibly still be salvaged
in a half-decent home video version, but it's no longer possible to restore it to anything remotely like original quality. Sadly, the same is
also true of the 167-minute version created by UA, because the original negatives can no longer be printed to anything viewable.

According to Robert: “All that remains [of The Alamo] are old 35mm dupes, which do not represent the film as a large format epic, and
even those elements are less than stellar.”

Interestingly, in response to e-mails and “tweets” from cinephiles on this issue, Trish Francis, MGM’s senior VP for Library Rights Management,
has issued this statement: “Thank you for your email. I have spoken with our Technical Services staff who assured me that the film is not in
danger of being lost. They proactively and routinely monitor and assess the condition of the various elements of all of MGM’s films and take
steps as needed to protect and preserve them. The film is a valuable part of film history and naturally want to protect it. We appreciate your
interest in THE ALAMO. it. I will mention your concerns to the appropriate people.”

Here’s the problem with that statement: There are few people with more knowledge and expertise on film preservation than Robert A. Harris.
Among the classic film restorations that Robert has supervised are: Lawrence of Arabia (in 1989, done with the involvement of director David
Lean and cinematographer Freddie Young), Spartacus (in 1991), My Fair Lady (in 1994), Vertigo (in 1996), Rear Window (in 1998), The Godfather
and The Godfather, Part II (in 2006, done with the involvement of director Francis Ford Coppola and cinematographer Gordon Willis), and most
recently It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (in 2013). Those of you who have seen these restorations will know one thing: Robert has abundant
experience on this issue. What’s more, Robert has very recently examined the extant 35mm dupe elements for The Alamo in MGM’s possession
and has conducted tests to both determine their condition and determine what the best possible outcome of a restoration would be. His conclusion
is that the elements are very close to having deteriorating beyond saving. As we’ve said recently, if a restoration were started right now, the best
result would be just 60% of original quality. The reason for this is that restoration has been needed for a number of years (since at least 2009, per
Robert’s column at the time), but MGM has continued to delay, during which time the photochemical element degradation has continued unchecked.

Now… it’s widely understood that MGM is in a difficult position financially. And while The Alamo is important from a cinema history standpoint
for any number of reasons, it’s not usually considered among the studio’s A-list classics. So I can understand completely that MGM may feel they
just can’t afford to invest the money to do a proper restoration at this time. That’s a sad situation, but I get it – I am entirely sympathetic to
that argument. It’s understandable. The problem is this: There have been efforts to fund this restoration with outside monies, at no cost to MGM
and there has been interest in doing so from outside parties. But MGM has chosen not to allow it, seemingly in an effort to save themselves the
embarrassment that would result from essentially admitting that they can’t or don’t want to put up the money themselves.

How can MGM studio executives possibly think that the embarrassment of letting outside parties fund the restoration of The Alamo is worse than
the shame that will surely result from letting the film be lost on their watch?

Anyway, that’s where things sit at the moment. Our hope is that MGM will finally relent in letting outside parties fund the restoration effort,
and then ride the positive PR that would result from having done so and finally issuing a proper Blu-ray and DVD release of the roadshow version.

Bottom line: Either The Alamo will be saved… or it won’t. From both a PR standpoint and that of preserving our Hollywood film heritage, only
one of those outcomes is positive. Let’s hope MGM comes to its senses in time.

You can reach MGM Studios on Facebook here. Tell MGM to save John Wayne’s The Alamo (1960) on Twitter: @MGM_Studios (use #savethealamo).

That’s all for now.

More as it comes in. In the meantime, have a good weekend.

Bill Hunt
AlamoGill

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat May 31, 2014 7:16 pm

Thanks, Gill. That is pretty succinct.

"Bottom line: Either The Alamo will be saved… or it won’t." This is much like my weather prediction for Alamo Village: "We have a fifty percent chance of rain. Either it will or it won't." Lets hope the film preservation weather brightens.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat May 31, 2014 7:18 pm

Isn't it interesting that we currently have THREE Alamo saves in process: Save John Wayne's The Alamo; Save Alamo Village; Save Alamo Plaza.
RLC-GTT

Postby MartyB on Sat May 31, 2014 7:45 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:Isn't it interesting that we currently have THREE Alamo saves in process: Save John Wayne's The Alamo; Save Alamo Village; Save Alamo Plaza.

Aw shucks...Three saves at the same time is no big thing particularly for southerners...We are world champions when it comes to multi-taskin'....

You know that!!!!
Attachments
0_000_a_DW0_a.jpg
0_000_a_DW0_a.jpg (138.09 KiB) Viewed 9483 times
Marty Brazil
Our past is not a dead past, but still lives. Our forefathers created the present by their sacrifice of the past. What they dreamed, we live…and…what they lived we dream.
MartyB

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:26 pm

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... &ref=br_tf

For folks who have Facebook, there's a new page dedicated to this subject
called "Save The ALAMO". (I left a notation that they should consider changing
the name of the page to "Save THE ALAMO" just so people don't think its about
some building in San Antonio.)
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:01 pm

NefariousNed wrote:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=782957358404241&ref=br_tf

For folks who have Facebook, there's a new page dedicated to this subject
called "Save The ALAMO". (I left a notation that they should consider changing
the name of the page to "Save THE ALAMO" just so people don't think its about
some building in San Antonio.)

Yes, even I am getting quite confused myself! Are we trying to save the Alamo, THE ALAMO, THE ALAMO, or "the Alamo" (which is what locals
in Brackettville have always called Alamo Village, as in "Let's go out to the Alamo and have a picnic" meaning the picnic table down at the village).
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:09 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Yes, even I am getting quite confused myself! Are we trying to save the Alamo, THE ALAMO, THE ALAMO, or "the Alamo" (which is what locals
in Brackettville have always called Alamo Village, as in "Let's go out to the Alamo and have a picnic" meaning the picnic table down at the village).

It's just like Frank Thompson's dilemma in having all five of his Alamo-related books called THE ALAMO.
People were constantly getting them mixed up. That's why he'd wanted to use the nom de plume
"Frazee Boldt" for the novelization of "THE ALAMO (2004)" screenplay. Too bad the publishers nixed it.

NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:09 am

Wow! I never saw that first swing at the ball! I remember Frank said he was going crazy working on the set all day and trying to write the novelization in spare moments and at night. They gave him some ridiculous deadline that, if I remember correctly, was still during filming -- and he was still writing some ridiculous number of pages a day. Interstingly, when this first draft cover was created, they were still including John Sayles in the script credits and don't credit Stephen Gaghan, so it must have been a preliminary preliminary knocked off before credits were locked in. It had to have been before March 5 however, because that appears to be the sunset I saw that night when they shot Billy's fiddle scene. They are probably Michael's photos -- or Deana Newcome's. Too bad they were replaced with the firey Alamo logo against black.

Another interesting change is that they bumped the price up from $5.99 to 6.99 by the publication date.

NefariousNed wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:Yes, even I am getting quite confused myself! Are we trying to save the Alamo, THE ALAMO, THE ALAMO, or "the Alamo" (which is what locals

It's just like Frank Thompson's dilemma in having all five of his Alamo-related books called THE ALAMO.
People were constantly getting them mixed up. That's why he'd wanted to use the nom de plume
"Frazee Boldt" for the novelization of "THE ALAMO (2004)" screenplay. Too bad the publishers nixed it.

RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:18 pm

Bumping this up to keep it fresh. Too important to lose.

There is a Texas TV station (not San Antonio) doing a news feature on the MGM/UA attitude regarding The Alamo. They are coming out to shoot some B-Roll at the village. So, obviously, this is getting media attention.

AlamoGill wrote:I thought I would join in on this discussion as Mo is indisposed at the moment and I know how much it means
to Mo and most of you on the forum

Here is the Bill Hunt update:

Editor’s Note: This this section has been updated for accuracy with information directly from Robert Harris on Digital Bits as of 5/31.

According to Robert, all versions of The Alamo are currently endangered. The film’s original 65mm elements are essentially gone,
both for the 202-minute roadshow version and the 167-minute cut down version. The roadshow version could possibly still be salvaged
in a half-decent home video version, but it's no longer possible to restore it to anything remotely like original quality. Sadly, the same is
also true of the 167-minute version created by UA, because the original negatives can no longer be printed to anything viewable.

According to Robert: “All that remains [of The Alamo] are old 35mm dupes, which do not represent the film as a large format epic, and
even those elements are less than stellar.”

Interestingly, in response to e-mails and “tweets” from cinephiles on this issue, Trish Francis, MGM’s senior VP for Library Rights Management,
has issued this statement: “Thank you for your email. I have spoken with our Technical Services staff who assured me that the film is not in
danger of being lost. They proactively and routinely monitor and assess the condition of the various elements of all of MGM’s films and take
steps as needed to protect and preserve them. The film is a valuable part of film history and naturally want to protect it. We appreciate your
interest in THE ALAMO. it. I will mention your concerns to the appropriate people.”

Here’s the problem with that statement: There are few people with more knowledge and expertise on film preservation than Robert A. Harris.
Among the classic film restorations that Robert has supervised are: Lawrence of Arabia (in 1989, done with the involvement of director David
Lean and cinematographer Freddie Young), Spartacus (in 1991), My Fair Lady (in 1994), Vertigo (in 1996), Rear Window (in 1998), The Godfather
and The Godfather, Part II (in 2006, done with the involvement of director Francis Ford Coppola and cinematographer Gordon Willis), and most
recently It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (in 2013). Those of you who have seen these restorations will know one thing: Robert has abundant
experience on this issue. What’s more, Robert has very recently examined the extant 35mm dupe elements for The Alamo in MGM’s possession
and has conducted tests to both determine their condition and determine what the best possible outcome of a restoration would be. His conclusion
is that the elements are very close to having deteriorating beyond saving. As we’ve said recently, if a restoration were started right now, the best
result would be just 60% of original quality. The reason for this is that restoration has been needed for a number of years (since at least 2009, per
Robert’s column at the time), but MGM has continued to delay, during which time the photochemical element degradation has continued unchecked.

Now… it’s widely understood that MGM is in a difficult position financially. And while The Alamo is important from a cinema history standpoint
for any number of reasons, it’s not usually considered among the studio’s A-list classics. So I can understand completely that MGM may feel they
just can’t afford to invest the money to do a proper restoration at this time. That’s a sad situation, but I get it – I am entirely sympathetic to
that argument. It’s understandable. The problem is this: There have been efforts to fund this restoration with outside monies, at no cost to MGM
and there has been interest in doing so from outside parties. But MGM has chosen not to allow it, seemingly in an effort to save themselves the
embarrassment that would result from essentially admitting that they can’t or don’t want to put up the money themselves.

How can MGM studio executives possibly think that the embarrassment of letting outside parties fund the restoration of The Alamo is worse than
the shame that will surely result from letting the film be lost on their watch?

Anyway, that’s where things sit at the moment. Our hope is that MGM will finally relent in letting outside parties fund the restoration effort,
and then ride the positive PR that would result from having done so and finally issuing a proper Blu-ray and DVD release of the roadshow version.

Bottom line: Either The Alamo will be saved… or it won’t. From both a PR standpoint and that of preserving our Hollywood film heritage, only
one of those outcomes is positive. Let’s hope MGM comes to its senses in time.

You can reach MGM Studios on Facebook here. Tell MGM to save John Wayne’s The Alamo (1960) on Twitter: @MGM_Studios (use #savethealamo).

That’s all for now.

More as it comes in. In the meantime, have a good weekend.

Bill Hunt
RLC-GTT

Postby Doc on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:13 pm

Rich, I just saw the Time Warner Cable News story from Austin and thought you came across just great. You should get in front of the camera more often.
Doc

Postby Rick on Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:20 pm

Doc wrote:Rich, I just saw the Time Warner Cable News story from Austin and thought you came across just great. You should get in front of the camera more often.

This was very interesting, Doc. Thanks for the heads-up.

Here's a link:

http://austin.twcnews.com/content/news/ ... storation/

Austin
Original Copy of 'The Alamo' in Desperate Need of Restoration

By: John A. Salazar - Time Warner Cable News
Updated 06/10/2014 08:59 AM
RichCurillaTimeWarnerCableNews.jpg
RichCurillaTimeWarnerCableNews.jpg (27.44 KiB) Viewed 9635 times

Richard Curilla recalls how he felt the day he saw one of John Wayne’s greatest movies on the big screen.

"It just took me over. I just became an Alamo nut,” he said. "I just fell in love with the movie."

As a young boy on the east coast, he saw the 1960 classic "The Alamo" 13 times. That's where his life's passion
began.

"It led me to be not only be involved in film school to get in Penn State for theatre, arts and film production,
but it also led me to genuine Alamo history,” Curilla said.

His first love for "The Alamo" also led him to Texas. The 67-year-old is the official caretaker of the place where
the Hollywood blockbuster was shot.

The set was built in the late '50s on a private ranch, two-and-a-half hours west of San Antonio.

"That movie did more to further Alamo history than anything they have done at The Alamo," Curilla said.

Now the self-proclaimed Alamo historian is embarking on a new mission to save the movie that guided his life.

"I hope MGM will belatedly get their stuff together," he said.

Curilla is pressuring MGM executives to fund a full-scale restoration project and he's not alone.

"If you're so inclined, send a note politely to MGM and say, 'Hey guys jump in on this deal and restore The Alamo,'”
KTSA Trey Ware said. “We can't have the Alamo go away."

Ware's father was in the film. Now he's using his voice and social media to try and get Hollywood's attention.

"Personally, I want to see this thing live and stay for as long as it can,” Ware said. “But there are lots of San
Antonians that are in this movie too."

Of course both Ware and Curilla will continue their battle to remember the Alamo.

"It can still be saved for posterity and the best image quality possible if they jump on it now,” Curilla said.

When The Alamo was released, audiences had a chance to see two final versions. The roadshow premiere was 202
minutes long. A second edit was cut down to 167 minutes.

Check out some pictures from TWC News Reporter John Salazar's shoot at Alamo Village:
- See more at: http://austin.twcnews.com/content/news/ ... rate-need-
of-restoration/#sthash.YXLu0GWD.dpuf
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:41 pm

Doc wrote:Rich, I just saw the Time Warner Cable News story from Austin and thought you came across just great. You should get in front of the camera more often.

Thanks, Doc. But then I'd have to hire a hair dresser, a poise person and a make up artist -- for prosthetic make-up. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:44 pm

The transcript on the website left off one very important part of my interview. Here is what the transcript says:

"That movie did more to further Alamo history than anything they have done at The Alamo," Curilla said.

If you listen to the video, I finished the sentence with "until recently." Makes a big difference. ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:14 pm

This could be the ticket! Great job Rich.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:36 pm

Thanks, Fargo.
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:05 pm

Well done, both Trey and Rich. Trey's father can be seen in the scene in which Smitty is stopped by sentries on the way to Houston's camp. "Corporal
of the guard. Post number three!"
MUSTANG

Postby bill chemerka on Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:07 pm

Nicely done!

Imagine if both Alamo Plaza and John Wayne's The Alamo get the necessary and appropriatre restoration efforts. Before 2036.

"Go Ahead!"
bill chemerka

PreviousNext

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )