The First Time YOU Saw THE ALAMO...

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: The First Time YOU Saw THE ALAMO...

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:41 pm

Me thinks when it comes anniversary time, you'll need to saddle up and re-new them vows at the San Fernando Church set in
Brackettville. By then the place might be re-opened under new management if'n they can get the funds.
Your lady is migthy understandin'!
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby Davy on Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:15 pm

Well said Jeff! :D

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby alanhufffines on Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:44 am

I cannot say when exactly. I remember in Nursery School (pre-school for you youth) that we each had to sing a song in front of the class and I belted out "King of the Wild Frontier."

I only saw THE ALAMO on TV, so whenever the first time it aired would have been the first time I saw it (help me Gary Zaboly) I remember the commericals, remember that it took two nights and I remember tape recording it (years later I would take pictures of it when broadcast--and we had a round screenTV!). I listened to that tape every night of my life till we got a VCR when I was in high school. On a related note the first VHS I purchased (again in high school) was the $80 dual cassette in the white cover with Travis' ADC on the cover (what a great image).
COL (R) Alan C. Huffines
Buffalo Gap
Cameron's Colony
Republic of Texas

"Take off your shoes for you are on holy ground."
Branch T. Archer
San Felipe
alanhufffines

Postby garyzaboly on Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:38 am

alanhufffines wrote:I cannot say when exactly. I remember in Nursery School (pre-school for you youth) that we each had to sing a song in front of the class and I belted out "King of the Wild Frontier."

I only saw THE ALAMO on TV, so whenever the first time it aired would have been the first time I saw it (help me Gary Zaboly) I remember the commericals, remember that it took two nights and I remember tape recording it (years later I would take pictures of it when broadcast--and we had a round screenTV!). I listened to that tape every night of my life till we got a VCR when I was in high school. On a related note the first VHS I purchased (again in high school) was the $80 dual cassette in the white cover with Travis' ADC on the cover (what a great image).

Alan that was 1971, on NBC...a memorable two nights for all Alamo buffs. I taped it too---on reel-to-reel tape. (No VCRs then, yep! How did we survive??) And I still have the fuzzy color snapshots I took off the screen, too.
The truth shall make you free.
garyzaboly

Postby Davy on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:16 am

Yeah back when things wuz made of wood! :lol: I watched those old bw tvs as a kid too (on into high school) .. and darned glad to get it too! Color TV? Like alotta other things we did not have, and could not afford anyway back in the day! We have come a long way baby since the 60's and 70's! :lol: I would not trade one day of it ... :cry:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby alanhufffines on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:42 pm

Davy wrote:Yeah back when things wuz made of wood! :lol: I watched those old bw tvs as a kid too (on into high school) .. and darned glad to get it too! Color TV? Like alotta other things we did not have, and could not afford anyway back in the day! We have come a long way baby since the 60's and 70's! :lol: I would not trade one day of it ... :cry:

Davy

And nobody had remotes--growing up I thought I was the remote. "Alan, turn it up (or down)."
COL (R) Alan C. Huffines
Buffalo Gap
Cameron's Colony
Republic of Texas

Branch T. Archer
San Felipe
alanhufffines

Postby alanhufffines on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:45 pm

garyzaboly wrote:
alanhufffines wrote:I cannot say when exactly. I remember in Nursery School (pre-school for you youth) that we each had to sing a song in front of the class and I belted out "King of the Wild Frontier."

Alan that was 1971, on NBC...a memorable two nights for all Alamo buffs. I taped it too---on reel-to-reel tape. (No VCRs then, yep! How did we survive??) And I still have the fuzzy color snapshots I took off the screen, too.

Thank you Friend Gary.
COL (R) Alan C. Huffines
Buffalo Gap
Cameron's Colony
Republic of Texas

Branch T. Archer
San Felipe
alanhufffines

Postby Davy on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:50 pm

alanhufffines wrote:
Davy wrote:Yeah back when things wuz made of wood! :lol: I watched those old bw tvs as a kid too (on into high school) .. and darned glad to get it too! Color TV? Like alotta other things we did not have, and could not afford anyway back in the day! We have come a long way baby since the 60's and 70's! :lol: I would not trade one day of it ... :cry:

Davy

And nobody had remotes--growing up I thought I was the remote. "Alan, turn it up (or down)."

That ... and adjusting rabbit ear antennas! There was only a few channels too! :D

Davy
Davy

Postby alanhufffines on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:59 pm

Davy wrote:
alanhufffines wrote:

Davy

That ... and adjusting rabbit ear antennas! There was only a few channels too! :D

Davy

We were very prosperous and had an actual outdoor antenna (lived in the boonies). And we got THREE channels! OK, I will stop being off-topic now. :D
COL (R) Alan C. Huffines
Buffalo Gap
Cameron's Colony
Republic of Texas

Branch T. Archer
San Felipe
alanhufffines

Postby Rick on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:58 pm

According to Clark and Andersen in their John Wayne's The Alamo book, NBC's initial airing of the film in 1971 was on Saturday, Sept. 18, and Monday, Sept. 20. Despite showing it over two nights, the network still whacked an additional 20 minutes from it.

NBC repeated the showing again in September 1973.
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick

Postby zapadore on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:14 pm

That's it!!!!! The '73 showing was the first time I saw it,...as a kid......sitting a foot or so away from the TV.........
zapadore

Postby Alamo_Stu on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:47 pm

Bout' 73 on tv for me too. Texas History from middle school was fresh. We were going "Whaaat? " @ Wayne's version. Stll enjoyed it though. Even recorded some on a cassette! The big San Antone trip came that summer also. We wanted to make a run to Alamo Village. Dad had nothing doing. Too far.

sTU
8-)
"El riesgo siempre vive!"
Alamo_Stu

Postby garyzaboly on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:26 pm

Rick wrote:According to Clark and Andersen in their John Wayne's The Alamo book, NBC's initial airing of the film in 1971 was on Saturday, Sept. 18, and Monday, Sept. 20. Despite showing it over two nights, the network still whacked an additional 20 minutes from it.

Here in New York at least, NBC repeated THE ALAMO on February 17 and 19, 1973. Not a date an Alamonian is likely to forget!
The truth shall make you free.
garyzaboly

Postby alanhufffines on Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:28 pm

Rick wrote:According to Clark and Andersen in their John Wayne's The Alamo book, NBC's initial airing of the film in 1971 was on Saturday, Sept. 18, and Monday, Sept. 20. Despite showing it over two nights, the network still whacked an additional 20 minutes from it.

Dang! That would have been the Fall of my 2nd grade year. Always seems it was earlier than this. I know I had already been to the real Alamo several times by that point.
COL (R) Alan C. Huffines
Buffalo Gap
Cameron's Colony
Republic of Texas

Branch T. Archer
San Felipe
alanhufffines

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:55 am

Davy

I hear ya, on that Davy. All we had were those small screen b&w's. My uncle worked for RCA, though, and he used to bring home all kinds of RCA electronics. His family had color tv's from the very start. Sometimes, we'd over their place to visit and of course, when Disneys Wonderful World Of Color came on, my dad said, time to go home. We would only get to see a few minutes of it. We didn't get a color tv till after I came home from the Army and got back to work and bought one for my parents for Christmas in 68. I think it was an RCA 23 in. which was a pretty big screen back then. Got married a yr later and my wife and I got ourselves a color tv.
As for that NBC showing of The Alamo, I wanted to see that so bad but, only got to see Pt 1. When they showed Pt 2, I had to go somewhere and missed it, much to my chagrin. I think we got home just as it was ending.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby zapadore on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:36 am

......for a kid in 5th grade it was so cool to sit there watching as the NBC announcer's voice over came through as the screen went to black...
"And now,.....The Alamo",........cue to opening credits and overture music.............
zapadore

Postby quincey morris on Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:41 pm

I was in junior high-got to have an Alamo party when it first showed...
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. C'est de la folie
Marshal Pierre Bosquet
25 October 1854
quincey morris

Postby cc nolen on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:49 pm

5th grade...1964. Went home after the show and played Alamo with my cousins...I was mad cause their names are Jimmy and David...Of course They wanted to be Jim Bowie and Davy Crockett.....wasnt anyone in the Fort named Chris, so I had to be Chill Wills :lol: :lol:
Chris...
cc nolen

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:22 pm

That's alright, Chris. I usually had to play the donkey at the end. (Just joking.)
RLC-GTT

Postby cc nolen on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:39 pm

Rich, you could have been Travis :D ....keeping everyone in line, and drawing the line :lol:
Chris...
cc nolen

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:31 pm

cc nolen wrote:Rich, you could have been Travis :D ....keeping everyone in line, and drawing the line :lol:
Chris...

...a dubious distinction -- but HE used capital letters in his writing. (Of course, he did go a bit nuts with hyphens instead
of punctuation. Good! I can pick on him for THAT!)
RLC-GTT

Postby mrbassbone on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:28 am

I am not 100 % sure, but I am thinking or trying to recall...LOL. I think it was in Anchorage in late 60 or 61, but then again
I may have seen it at Tavis AFB in 62 or 63. Too much water under the bridge...lol
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
mrbassbone

Postby Doc on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:53 pm

My parents took my brother and myself to see it during it's first run in 1960. Going to the movies was a big deal then and we had to properly dress for the show and for dinner at a restaurant. I was eleven then and already had been hooked by the Disney shows (and I still have complete sets of Crockett bubble gum cards to prove it); had read Lon Tinkle and even the Steve Frazee "movie adaptation". So I thought I was ready.
The huge screen and great sound made this a real jaw dropping experience. Nothing had prepared me for this and I haven't been the same since.
Next day I bought my first stereo record, the Alamo soundtrack, even though we didn't own a stereo. Took it to friends' houses and drove their mothers crazy until we finally got our own.
Doc

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:53 pm

Quit stealing my material, Doc! :lol: Incredible flash-back for me. Hopefully, you got all your green-back D.C. bubble-gum cards before they stopped marketing them (I didn't). Got all the orange-backed ones though. And hopefully, you didn't get in trouble when Mom found the stack of awful pink bubble gum slabs gone stale and hard(er) in a dark corner of the kitchen closet years later. The stereo I was to get for Christmas was hidden under the bed, and I used to sneak it out when Dad and Mom were gone and listen to The Alamo, which I had gotten months before, with the lights out and the small speakers up against my ears while lying on the floor. Then I got Alex North's Spartacus for Christmas. Obviously, you are "among friends." P.S. -- And as family and friends can attest, I haven't been the same since either.
RLC-GTT

Postby Davy on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:17 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Quit stealing my material, Doc! :lol: Incredible flash-back for me. Hopefully, you got all your green-back D.C. bubble-gum cards before they stopped marketing them (I didn't). Got all the orange-backed ones though. And hopefully, you didn't get in trouble when Mom found the stack of awful pink bubble gum slabs gone stale and hard(er) in a dark corner of the kitchen closet years later. The stereo I was to get for Christmas was hidden under the bed, and I used to sneak it out when Dad and Mom were gone and listen to The Alamo, which I had gotten months before, with the lights out and the small speakers up against my ears while lying on the floor. Then I got Alex North's Spartacus for Christmas. Obviously, you are "among friends." P.S. -- And as family and friends can attest, I haven't been the same since either.

Damn yor old Rich! Musta been afore 'lectricity! :o :lol:

Davy
Davy

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:37 am

No. I know it wasn't. I had to have been able to plug the dern thing into something to get it to crank.
Attachments
HisMastersVoice.jpg
HisMastersVoice.jpg (41.83 KiB) Viewed 3915 times
RLC-GTT

Postby Doc on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:12 am

Rich, I would have sneaked playing our stereo too, but it was a console and was hidden at a neighbor's house until Christmas.
My second LP was the "Guns of Navarone" but "Spartacus" was my third.

Thank God for earphones (and electricity)
Doc

Postby MUSTANG on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:22 am

Earphones, wow!!!! I can still remember the first time I owned a pair (Koss, as I recall), plugged them in, cranked up the
soundtrack and was blown away by the separation in sound. Heard effects I never knew existed.
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:41 am

MUSTANG wrote:Earphones, wow!!!! I can still remember the first time I owned a pair (Koss, as I recall), plugged them in, cranked up the
soundtrack and was blown away by the separation in sound. Heard effects I never knew existed.

My two stereo speakers were just that -- two three-inch cones, one in each box which could be removed from the main (portable) unit. So I was able to treat them like the earphones I didn't have. I laid on my back on the floor, and put them about three inches from my ears, adjusting the volume accordingly. That is the first time I ever heard stereophonic sound -- which arced in a 180 degree circle behind my head. So Tiomkin's 90 piece (or so) orchestra was suspended magically under the floorboards. String section on the left, woodwinds in the middle, horns on the right, drums in the back. That is how I learned every note and every countermelody in the commercially available score. I even used to play it at the slower speed (remember 16 R.P.M.?) so I could study it in slow motion. Now, beat that! :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:54 am

16 RPM!!! My first record player (not turntable) had variable speeds; 16. 33 1/3, 45 and 78. with a large plastic elevated centerpiece to hold the 45's. Remember the lift arms so you could stack records? And a lever to advance the records, one by one? As I didn't have a direct connection from the record player, I would seperate the two speakers, place a microphone in front of each one and hook them up to my reel to reel. Why, you ask when I could just play the record? Because I had better speakers connected to the tape recorder than the record player.
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:40 am

Hahaha. Well, we all do our "peculiar" sound things. During the 1967 re-release of The Alamo, I recorded the soundtrack on my best friend's reel-to-reel 1/4 inch tape recorder. We went to the drive-in near State College, PA, pulled in next to the projection booth, plugged the machine into an outlet that the projectionist let me use, disassembled the speaker that you hooked in the car window and clamped on to the speaker leads with aligator clips and plugged that patch-cable into the auxilliary input on the recorder. Perfect monaural recording of the complete 161 minute print. I had already gone through my own put-a-microphone-in-front-of-a-sound-speaker phase, and I wanted something better. That was the technique I had used to record Spirit of the Alamo from the TV on November 14, 1960. It reeked.
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:38 pm

Peculiar??? What do you mean peculiar? I rather like to think it was creative!
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:02 pm

MUSTANG wrote:Peculiar??? What do you mean peculiar? I rather like to think it was creative!

As in "peculiar cap lying by his side." Not meaning weird, but more his particular cap -- that which is unique to him and him alone. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm

Ah,"Now I see," said the blind man. Oh, that's bad.
MUSTANG

Postby caplock on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:32 pm

MUSTANG wrote:Ah,"Now I see," said the blind man. Oh, that's bad.

"Now I see," said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw. Worse, huh?
caplock

Postby Davy on Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:53 pm

caplock wrote:

"Now I see," said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw. Worse, huh?

You boys ain't frum arund hyar 'r yas! :o :lol: Even a blind hog finds an acurn oncet ina whilst! :twisted:

Davy
Davy

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:52 am

caplock wrote:

"Now I see," said the blind man to his deaf wife as he picked up the hammer and saw. Do I win?
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:53 am

No wonder the fellow's blind. I'm surprised they didn't cut his tongue out too!
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:09 am

Sorry I started this. I apologize most profusely.
MUSTANG

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:16 am

You can see how it is. It’s more than a man can bear. He’s never said a word of pity for himself
in the ten years he’s been blind…
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

PreviousNext

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )