The First Time YOU Saw THE ALAMO...

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: The First Time YOU Saw THE ALAMO...

Postby fespar on Thu May 16, 2013 10:07 pm

Here are two ads from the local newspaper advertising The Alamo in 1962.I was too young to see it then.The ads read in part,"We're putting up the big screen,new audio system so the theater we'll be closed today.Only one showing per day." and "the greatest action movie ever","superb battle scenes" "2nd week!" Those were the days.
"
Attachments
AlamoForumbio 001.jpg
AlamoForumbio 001.jpg (228.45 KiB) Viewed 4694 times
AlamoForumbio 001.jpg
AlamoForumbio 001.jpg (228.45 KiB) Viewed 4690 times
fespar

Postby gh1836 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:19 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:
alamocentral wrote:Dear Rich,
I don't know what part of Pennsylvania you are from, but the above theatre is in Wilkes Barre, PA. Is that anywhere near your birthplace?
Ashley

Opps. Sorry I missed this, Ashley. I'm from Shamokin, PA, which is about 50 miles S.W. of Wilkes Barre. Back in those days, that was foreign country to me. lol. My theater of choice was the Victoria Theater in Shamokin -- the nicest and most art-deco (even though I didn't understand it then, I sure appreciated the quality). They also had the first 2.35:1 movie screen and, of course, dimming lights and opening curtains. O what we've lost! (It is now a vacant lot. :cry: )

Rich, That theater in your home town was really impressive...much larger than the little theater I saw The Alamo in the first time.. The Star in Hereford Texas. Do you remember if there were a lot of patrons when you saw it the 13 times you saw it? I don't remember how many people were watching when I saw it. I know we weren't viewing by ourselves though because I would have remembered that. How about the rest of you? were the theaters full when you went?
Gary Heck
gh1836

Postby gtj222 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:47 pm

I saw it the first time in New Orleans, La. It was packed. I remember when we were leaving, my mother said to my dad, " I bet John Wayne always wanted to play Davy Crockett."
gtj222

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:59 am

The theater I first The Alamo in was called the Dearborn, in Dearborn, Michigan. I don't know when it was built, but it assort of an old fashioned style. Had the marquee above the entrance and it jutted out over the sidewalk. An outside ticket booth with a door in the back so the ticket seller, usually a girl, could enter or exit. the lobby had a red plush circular couch that folks could sit on. As you came in from outside, the candy counter was on the right and on the walls on either side of the lobby, they had glass cases for movie posters of movies that were coming to the theater in the coming weeks. It was on one of those, about 4 years earlier that I saw the poster for The Last Command, which I also saw at the Dearborn. Entrance into the theater itself, was through a set of doors, and there was a half wall behind the last row of seats. On top of the wall were glass partitions where patrons could stand and watch the movies. I remember seeing the Alamo as close to the front as I could. I wanted that action up close. I do remember there was another movie on before The Alamo and I wanted it over fast to get to the main feature. Back in those days, you saw two movies, besides a cartoon and trailers. When you went to the movies, you made a day or night of it, not 90 to 120 minutes, then go home. Still wish they did that. By the mid 70's, the Dearborn went the way of other theaters by being split into multi screens so they could carry more movies and appeal to different peoples tastes all at the same time. I still patronized that theater for years after, though not as often, since I moved a little ways away from that area. And now, about 54 years after I saw The Alamo there, the Dearborn is no more. Just an empty lot that holds a lot of memories for a kid that saw some great movies over the years in it. Hell, one time, I even got myself kicked out for throwing a popcorn box across the auditorium. Never did that again.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:39 am

It is a very disconcerting thing to hear about all of these great old-time movie palaces being torn down to make way for
the future. Thanks for "just remembering".
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:11 am

NefariousNed wrote:It is a very disconcerting thing to hear about all of these great old-time movie palaces being torn down to make way for
the future. Thanks for "just remembering".

I searched for a picture of the Dearborn theater in it's hey day, but couldn't find one. Only of what it looked like after it closed and had been part of National Amusements Entertainment Corp, and it wasn't anywhere near the same. I did find out though, that it was built in 1941 and sat about 1100 people. Here in the Detroit area, there are still a few old movie palaces that still retain their original look. One is the Fox theater in downtown Detroit that is owned by the Illitch family, who owns the Little Caesars pizza chain and the Detroit Tigers and Red Wings sports teams. they don't show many movies, just live productions. But it still retains all of it's splendor from days long gone. The last two movies I ever saw there was in 1987 when they brought in Charlton Heston to host a showing of a remastered Ben Hur in 70mm. That was a treat. And then a couple of years later, they did the same with Spartacus. Again, another treat.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby AlamoMo on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:04 am

I think this might help but it is difficult to find anything out about it in the past

Mo

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Dearb ... 7#imgdii=_
Do This Mean What I Think It Do ??, " It Do "
AlamoMo
Site Admin

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:38 pm

I grew up in Toledo and boy did we have palaces. The Valentine was were I saw the Alamo and the Rivoli for the re-release. Both versions were edited to 167 min.
I believe the Fox in Detroit showed the Cinerama movies and I have seen many films there. I use to ride the Trailways bus there. I worked for them. Saw "Chisum" there.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:58 pm

Just a reminder, we have a thread dedicated to old-time movie palaces if you haven't seen it yet.

Here's the shortcut: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1396
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:26 am

AlamoMo wrote:I think this might help but it is difficult to find anything out about it in the past

Mo

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Dearb ... 7#imgdii=_

Hey, thanks, Mo.

Ok, click on Mo's link, fourth row down, second from the left is a pic of the Dearborn theater of my youth. The first two pics on the left of the top row is what it looked like at the end, during demolition.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby RCO-LUFKIN on Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:33 pm

Think I posted sometime back my first time in 1967 at the Pines Theater in Lufkin, Texas on the re release of the movie. Did not see on first release in 1960 because I had just turned 7 years old.

However, The Daughters of the Republic of Texas will sponsor the movie showing of John Wayne's "The Alamo" tonight, February 22nd, 2014, at the Pines Theater in Lufkin, Texas starting at 7 PM. Tickets are $5.00. The first return since it's 1967 showing and after a total renovation in 2012 of the theater that was built in 1925.

http://www.cityoflufkin.com/pines/

Click on DOCUMENTARY link about the Pines Theater, very interesting.
Last edited by RCO-LUFKIN on Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCO-LUFKIN

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:37 pm

Wow! Have fun.
RLC-GTT

Postby ConnieFromHaiti on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:56 pm

One thing I didn't get into my intro or in my email to Mo is my Alamo interest.

My introduction to John Wayne's The Alamo is so far back in my babyhood, I can't even remember a time I wasn't hearing the soundtrack and the lines from the movie. Ask my Uncle Richard how he ended up with a reel to reel tape of the complete soundtrack of the movie, if he hasn't already told the story on this forum. He played it constantly (it seemed) and, while I don't know all the verses of all the songs any more, I did at one point. I have also been well indoctrinated in the Realmo history from the time I could engage in a conversation!

When I would visit my grandparents and uncle, Grandma (with or without Uncle Richard's knowledge or ok) would let me play in a certain Davy Crockett outfit. I seem to remember a Superman costume as well. There was also a rifle which got handed down to me.

My uncle likes to say that I came out the same year as The Alamo! :lol: Actually, I was born during the construction of the set and the filming (I think, correct me, Unc, if I am wrong -- you will anyway! ;) ). I do clearly remember the first time I saw the film. While I can't pinpoint the date, my guess is that is had to have been during the re-release. The whole family (grandparents, uncle, parents) went to a local drive-in theater to see the movie. I think my best friend and neighbor came too. I remember playing on the playground equipment before the film and that this was a film that was special. The images, music and dialogue from the movie have been a constant in my life. So, while it is not my passion, as it is for many of you here, it is an important part of my growing up and I am sure has informed and encouraged my more general interest in history and film.
ConnieFromHaiti

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:07 pm

Well, It is great hearing this from Connie -- and from her point of view. (Some of it, I did not know.) Yep, she's an Alamo movie brat. She was born on November 2, 1959. Filming was from September 9 until December 20. I bet John Farkis could even tell us exactly what scenes were being filmed on her birthday. ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:24 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:Well, It is great hearing this from Connie -- and from her point of view. (Some of it, I did not know.) Yep, she's an Alamo movie brat. She was born on November 2, 1959. Filming was from September 9 until December 20. I bet John Farkis could even tell us exactly what scenes were being filmed on her birthday. ;)

From John Farkis:

BATJAC PRODUCTIONS INC.
"The Alamo"
MASTER SCHEDULE
AUGUST 21, 1959

47TH DAY, NOV. 2

EXT. MEXICAN CAMP
Sc. 162

Night shots of Mexican Camp fires.
Men, equipment and horses moving
around.

EXT. PLAIN
Sc. 454

Mexican troops moving around in dark.
Night before assault.

EXT. MEXICAN CAMP - LONG TOM
Scs. 192 thru 195-196-197-thru
200-203-204-205-206-207-208-209-210-211

Men destroy Long Tom - Bowie's
horse goes down - Cotton sees it -
He saves Bowie.
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:55 pm

Now THAT'S a response! Fantastic! Happy Birthday, Connie! :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby mrbassbone on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:14 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:Now THAT'S a response! Fantastic! Happy Birthday, Connie! :lol:

Ned, I understand principal photography finished up on my birthdate....December 20th.
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
mrbassbone

Postby ConnieFromHaiti on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:11 am

Thanks, Ned, for that quick response! And Unc, what parts did you not know? Did I get Grandma in trouble since she let me wear your Davy Crockett outfit? So, Shell, I guess we could combine our birthdays with Waynamo filming commemorations!
ConnieFromHaiti

Postby cc nolen on Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:47 am

Well Encore is showing it right now.....think I'll do her again! ;)
cc nolen

Postby mcgregor steph on Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:56 pm

644508_257107081100975_238992868_n.jpg
644508_257107081100975_238992868_n.jpg (37.07 KiB) Viewed 4279 times

hi guys,
last night my 10 year old son jack asked me if i would put the Alamo on his ipad so he could watch it in bed.
i asked him this morning if he enjoyed it and he said it was brilliant and wants to know all about the history.!!!!
non stop questions ever since !!!!!!!!
can you please chalk up another Alamo recruit for the future !!!
all the best
steph
mcgregor steph

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:20 am

mcgregor steph wrote:

hi guys,
last night my 10 year old son jack asked me if i would put the Alamo on his ipad so he could watch it in bed.
i asked him this morning if he enjoyed it and he said it was brilliant and wants to know all about the history.!!!!
all the best
steph

That's wonderful! Please go and have some more kids right away!!! ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby Seguin on Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:01 am

RLC-GTT wrote:
mcgregor steph wrote:

hi guys,
all the best
steph

That's wonderful! Please go and have some more kids right away!!! ;)

Right, keep up the good work! :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:33 am

Indeed, we can use all the reinforcements we can get. Especially, young, non-decrepit ones.
NefariousNed

Postby The Colonel on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:10 am

NefariousNed wrote:Indeed, we can use all the reinforcements we can get. Especially, young, non-decrepit ones.

Decrepit?
Do that mean what I think it do?
Do not be uneasy about me. I am among friends.
The Colonel

Location: Between Possum Kingdom & Hickory Tavern, South Carolina

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:56 am

The Colonel wrote:
NefariousNed wrote:Indeed, we can use all the reinforcements we can get. Especially, young, non-decrepit ones.

Decrepit?
Do that mean what I think it do?

It's gonna.
RLC-GTT

Alamo virgin discovered!

Postby DocWylie on Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:31 am

I would not have ever believed this was possible. A very good friend, in his early 70's, is a devoted student of American history. He and I have been Civil War reenactors together for over 25 years. He is a voracious reader (non fiction, of course) and is fond of old movies, westerns in particular. He is also aware of my Alamo fixation.

Thus, it was with shock and disbelief, when he recently admitted that HE HAS NEVER SEEN JOHN WAYNE'S "THE ALAMO"... not when it was first released when he was a teenager, not when it was rereleased, not when it was shown on TV at any time! This is nearly a deal-breaker for our friendship.

His son manages a chain movie house, but has refused my request to have a private viewing of my DVD on the big screen. My friend does have a 52 inch flat screen so he has been informed that he is to host a viewing of my DVD, or if I can find a functioning VHS player, my 2-tape "Director's Cut". I'm still trying to locate a laserdisc player for my laserdisc version, but I don't want this travesty to go on any longer so will opt for a more timely viewing of either the tape or DVD

I'm still incredulous about this whole thing, but in a way am looking forward to seeing the reaction of a first-time viewer!
DocWylie

Re: Alamo virgin discovered!

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:40 am

Doc, you just have to accept that once in a very long while somebody will come along who is... normal. We all have known individuals like this. They are indeed strange to us. Good luck.

P.S. -- a VHS on a 52 inch flat HDTV screen would look like crap and would not further your point. On the other hand, the DVD really looks better than any other non-BluRay movie I have. ;)
RLC-GTT

Re: Alamo virgin discovered!

Postby Seguin on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:10 am

An Alamo virgin? :shock: Go ahead and bust his Alamo hymen. :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby michaelalamo on Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:34 pm

It was 54 years ago today that my Dad took my brother and me to the Rivoli Theater to
see John Wayne's THE ALAMO. It seems like yesterday.
I didn't read it...I heard it !!!
michaelalamo

Postby DukeCrockett93 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:36 am

We're now going back to August, 2014.

My dad, knowing that I too was a big fan of John Wayne had told me that The Alamo was on television (he assumed I'd already seen it), and I'd just managed to get small glimpses of the final battle. Knowing that this film was directed by Wayne himself, I was more than interested. I blind bought a copy of the DVD off ebay and watched it for the first time. My first thought was "This is pretty good!" but after repeated viewings, the film just got better and better. And that was when I'd decided to read up on the film, and discovered that the version I'd seen was the cut down version. I found the deleted scenes on YouTube, and found that some of the scenes really added to the overall experience [particularly the Parson's death scene].
DukeCrockett93

Postby AlamoAaron on Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:01 am

I first saw Wayne's Alamo in 2009. I was impressed, but choice to stick with "Davy Crockett"...still do... ;)
AlamoAaron

Postby Sharkman on Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:56 pm

My Grandfather , who never stayed retired very long took a job as an usher at the Ben Ali theater on main st. It's a parking lot now but in 61 it was the best in Lexington. He gave me the book about the making of and a couple of posters. And tickets to the first Sunday showing. My mom and dad took me it was crowded we sat in the balcony next to the speakers. It was like we were there. The music, the intermission first time ever I saw anything like that . I was hooked . Later on I have come to believe it was a great John Wayne movie, very loosely based on facts , but I still like it I have a VHS copy that has all the movie even the birthday party. I begged my dad and in 1968 we went on our first real vacation to the Hemisphere in San Antonio. I wish we had gone to the movie location but money was tight. In 1993 I took my wife and although we did other things we went to the Alamo every day for a week, I have a bookcase full of Alamo and David Crockett, and it all started that Sunday afternoon.
Sharkman

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:25 am

Our first viewings are all unique and yet still so similar.
RLC-GTT

Postby cc nolen on Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:24 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:Our first viewings are all unique and yet still so similar.

:o Don't tell me that you have seen it to! :o ....Did they show this great movie in the North??? :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
cc nolen

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:25 pm

Yep. I'll go to see anything produced and directed by a Yankee. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Previous

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )