The First Time YOU Saw THE ALAMO...

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

The First Time YOU Saw THE ALAMO...

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:09 pm

While it's been a while for many of us, see if you can remember the first time you saw THE ALAMO on the big screen.
(Or, for those of you who never had that opportunity, on the little (TV) screen.)

My first memory of THE ALAMO is of seeing the TV trailer in late 1960. I was 81/2 years old and those spectatular battle scenes really blew me away. I was particularly impressed with the scene where the Texans would rise up as a body from behind the wall, fire off a volley, and then duck back down again. I wanted so much to see this movie! But, as eager as I was, I still had to wait until the film showed up at the local bargain cinema, The Baldwin, where Tuesday night was a dollar admittance for the entire family. Being 81/2, I got a big kick out of the shenannigans of Crockett's Tennesseans, particularly the feather fight between Bull and Crockett. (Go ahead and wince, Rich and get it out of your system). I also particularly liked the raid for cattle, the attack on the big gun and the two assaults. But the main thing that held me mesmerized was the appearence of the Waynamo facade. It was so haunting and mournful and it still has that effect on me, even to this day.

I attended a parochial school in 1961 and we didn't have a school library, per se. Rather each classroom had a shelf of books in the back that were deemed appropriate for that age level. Well, the day after I saw THE ALAMO in the theater, my classroom bookshelf got a new addition, namely William Weber Johnson's juvenile novel, THE BIRTH OF TEXAS-----and it was about the Alamo! The illustrations in the book made a major impression on me, particularly the overview of the compound. I tried to relate that illustration to the Alamo I had just seen on the big screen and it was a bit confusing. From comparing the illustration to the film's Alamo , I came to the conclusion that Laurence Harvey had died outside the walls!

Anyway, after that, I was a dye-in-the wool Alamo buff and yet remain one.

So, what's your story?

From William Weber Johnson's 1960 book, THE BIRTH OF TEXAS. (artist, Herb Mott), showing how Laurence Harvey's Travis had
died outside the walls!
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Re: The First Time YOU Saw THE ALAMO...

Postby Reb_Al on Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:19 pm

I had always been interested in Davy Crockett ever since I can remember, my Mother hand knitted me a woolen jumper with Davy Crockett on the front when I was about 7 years old and can remember watching Davy Crockett King of the Wild Frontier at my local cinema, all us kids were singing Davy Crockett.

It wasn't until 1961 when I was 12 years old that I went to see The Alamo on the big screen and have loved watching it ever since, love the story, love the film, love the music.
Reb_Al

Postby Seguin on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:07 pm

It must´ve been in ´61 I saw it, because I remember it was forbidden for kids under twelve and I was just eleven. I would´nt be twelve until late in the year. I got away with being a bit under aged, and got a big kick out of that! :D

I especially remember the Mexican army marching up, and I loved all those colorful uniforms. It made a big impression on me. Each time I saw it through the following years, I loved it even more, and here I am, a certified Alamo nut... :lol:
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Davy on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:30 pm

That musta been back when things wuz made of wood! :lol: You know .. afore 'lectricity! 8-)

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:07 pm

On Fridays my Grandfather and Grandmother would have my sisters or I over for an overnighter one at a time. We'd usually go to dinner and then back to their house for an ice cream soda. This particular Friday we didn't go back but went to see, you guessed it, 'The Alamo' at the Valentine. Now that was a an expensive night out and we had no idea the film was nearly three hours. It made an impression on me. From then on we only went out to eat however my Grandfather and I would go on Saturday afternoons when I stayed over to watch Randolph Scott's latest epic. "Ride the High Country" was our last movie as I got older and shown at he Valentine. What a different time we were in.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby Seguin on Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:40 pm

Davy wrote:That musta been back when things wuz made of wood! :lol: You know .. afore 'lectricity! 8-)

Davy

That´s right! It was back in the good ol´days when mama was a boy... :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby Davy on Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:53 pm

You said it brother .. it was definitely a different time ... one I miss more everyday! :roll:

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby Seguin on Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:02 pm

Davy wrote:You said it brother .. it was definitely a different time ... one I miss more everyday! :roll:

Davy

Right, me too! Welcome in the club...

(Let me see...where did I put my teleporter time-machine?)
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:44 am

First time I saw the Alamo, it was a restaurant in Knoebels Grove, Pennsylvania.

Second time I saw the Alamo, it was a Peter Ellenshaw matte painting in Walt Disney's Davy Crockett at the Alamo.

Third time was the real Alamo on June 16, 1958.

Fourth time was in Frederic Ray's awesome book.

Fifth time was in my mind's eye when reading Lon Tinkle's 13 Days to Glory.

Sixth time was in the July 4, 1960, gate-fold cover of Life Magazine -- one of the paintings of the Waynamo used in the main title.

Seventh time through the umpteenth millionth time was in John Wayne's movie.

Eighth time (in 2002) was Michael Corenblith's perfect replica of the building for The Alamo .

ad infinitum
RLC-GTT

Postby fjcamper on Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:24 am

I saw The Alamo on its local premiere at the elegant Melba Theatre in March of 1961, in downtown Birmingham, Alabama. Just having turned 14, I went with my best childhood friend, George Larkins. We had been anticipating the movie for months, both of us Disney Alamo fans.

We saw the original long version of the film.

The overall spectacle of the film overwhelmed us. The combination of color, sweeping music, sound, and story caught us up so much that in the one scene where straw-hatted soldiers are breaking in under flaming overhead lattices on the west wall that I absolutely forgot my history and thought for a moment "Wow! The townspeople are coming to help out the Alamo!" before I realized it just more troops. And the sense of overpowering numbers was made real for me, and I knew then that the Alamo was doomed.

FJC
Last edited by fjcamper on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
fjcamper

Postby mikeg on Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:38 am

I remember seeing The Alamo at a drive in theater with my parents when I was about 8 years old. I remember the impression the final battle scene made on me--WOW!! My dad was a huge John Wayne fan, so naturally I was too. But seeing John Wayne as Davey Crockett was just about overwhelming. Saw the real Alamo a year or so later for the first time and could not figure out what had happened to it--it had changed so much since the movie was filmed there! At any rate, I was hooked from that time on--still am 45 years later. :D
mikeg

Postby Davy on Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:19 am

mikeg wrote:I remember seeing The Alamo at a drive in theater with my parents when I was about 8 years old. I remember the impression the final battle scene made on me--WOW!! My dad was a huge John Wayne fan, so naturally I was too. But seeing John Wayne as Davey Crockett was just about overwhelming. Saw the real Alamo a year or so later for the first time and could not figure out what had happened to it--it had changed so much since the movie was filmed there! At any rate, I was hooked from that time on--still am 45 years later. :D

Question is ... who ain't ? I think ya have to be half dead inside to not
have the opening music of that film not stir you some! :lol:

Davy
Davy

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:06 am

I was 14 yrs old when I saw The Alamo in the summer of 1961. It had opened a few months previous in downtown Detroit at the United Artists theater. It took awhile for it to hit all the suburban theaters and I waited, albeit impatiently. I first heard of about a year and a half earlier in one of those magazine that come with the Sunday paper. There was a small article about it and a few pictures of the construction of the set. When it finally came to my local theater, my brother and I went and back then, of course, there was always a double feature and The Alamo was the second feature since it was the bigger movie. When it was all over, I thought it was the greatest movie I ever saw. I wanted to go back and see it again but, didn't have the money and had to wait another 8 years when it hit theaters again. The next day, me and all my friends sat around and talked about it. They had gone to see it too. We even went one step further, and did our own version. We chose up sides, did our battle, reversed roles and did it again. What did we use for weapons? Usually nothing but, our hands and some imagination. It will always be my most favorite movie.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby Greg C on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:08 pm

First time I saw John Wayne's The Alamo, I was probably ten or eleven. I was over my grandma's house and there was a John Wayne movie marathon on TCM. I probably didn't understand half of what was going on but it was the first time I had ever seen or heard of the Alamo story. I guess it was one of those rare instances when a buff was born not through Fess Parker, but through John Wayne. Since then, The Duke has become one of my favorite actors and many of my friends think it's weird. But I don't care...long live the Duke!...and the Alamo!
"All men were made by the Great Spirit. They are all brothers. The earth is the mother of all people, and all people should have equal rights upon it."- Chief Joseph

My blog: http://gcaggiano.wordpress.com/
Greg C

Postby Davy on Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:49 pm

Greg C wrote:First time I saw John Wayne's The Alamo, I was probably ten or eleven. I was over my grandma's house and there was a John Wayne movie marathon on TCM. I probably didn't understand half of what was going on but it was the first time I had ever seen or heard of the Alamo story. I guess it was one of those rare instances when a buff was born not through Fess Parker, but through John Wayne. Since then, The Duke has become one of my favorite actors and many of my friends think it's weird. But I don't care...long live the Duke!...and the Alamo!

Amen brother ... the Duke still rules! :D

Davy
Davy

Postby AlamoAl on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:01 am

I first saw The Alamo with my dad somtime in the fall Of 1960. It played at the Maxwell AFB theater. I remember there were two shows. It think the first started at 6:00Pm and the other at 9:30 or 10. My dad and I and a neighbor went to the early show and my mom and the neighbors wife went to the late one. As the movie began my dad lean over to me and whispered "this happened in the state you were born in." I was enthralled and hooked for life. Before my dad got sick and passed away I came over to my parents' house while my mom was visiting her sisters in Jasper Al . The Alamo was coming on one of the cable channels. My dad and I watched it again. I asked him if he remembered taking me to see it in 1960 and he said he did; so I asked him if he remembered what he said to me has the film was starting. He didn't so I reminded him and then told him that his saying that to me is what made me an Alamo buff since then. He smiled and said, "Don't tell your mother" :lol:
AlamoAl

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:17 am

After a long career as a Davy Crockett buff (age 7 till age 13), I saw a squibb on the "Hollywood Teletype" page of TV Guide which said, "John Wayne finishes Alamo movie on location in Brackettville, Texas." I wrote to "Alamo movie location, Brackettville, Texas -- To whom it may concern.... send pictures of the sets." Happy Shahan sent me a jumbo postcard with the Alamo on top and San Antonio on the bottom. I was hooked. I corresponded with him for months. The movie came out but my dad couldn't deal with city traffic, so we couldn't see it at the Midtown Theater in Philadelphia in Todd-AO.

The first time I saw it was at the Exton Drive-In near Exton, Pennsylvania, after it opened in 35 mm. Dad drove my mother and me all the way from Shamokin, PA, to Exton just for the movie. That was a four hour trip in those days before interstates. And, yes, it would be opening in Shamokin in a short while, but Dad knew how long I had waited to see it and how much I talked about it. Cool dad and mom.

In the next months, I saw the movie twelve more times in theaters. Three times by staying in for two shows. Of course, this all means that I never saw the 192 minute version until 1992.

The cool thing is that I was already spending my summers at Alamo Village when UA re-released it in 1967 and got to see it in the waning days of Brackettville's Palace Theater with John Henry Daniels, who played Happy Sam in the movie. Every time his scene would come on, his teenage buddies would pelt him with spitballs.
RLC-GTT

Postby quincey morris on Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:41 pm

The old Dixie Drive Inn on the Dixie Highway (Ill Rt.1) in nearby Danville. Saw it again there during the re-release and also at the Lorraine Theatre in Hoopeston. In the 1970's saw it for the last time on the big screen at the Old Edens Theatre in the Chicago Suberbs. Now all of those theatres except the Lorraine are gone. Now that I am back home, I still see films in the restored Lorraine Theatre.
Attachments
MoeDixie-279x175.jpg
MoeDixie-279x175.jpg (22.57 KiB) Viewed 10877 times
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. C'est de la folie
Marshal Pierre Bosquet
25 October 1854
quincey morris

Postby garyzaboly on Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:30 pm

The first time I encountered anything to do with John Wayne's THE ALAMO was when I was nine, leafing through the March 7, 1960 issue of LIFE Magazine and coming across the full-page ad: the "An Open Letter to John Wayne," posted by Texas bigwigs, regarding the upcoming release of his film. I was bowled over: after DAVY CROCKETT and THE LAST COMMAND, to think that John Wayne was making an epic film on the subject! Then, later in the year, came LIFE's four-page spread with color scenes from the movie...it didn't get much better than that (God bless LIFE!). By the time I finally got to see the film I was ten. I remember the day well: it was sunny, and about noontime. It was being shown in the Loews' 175th Street theater, in upper Manhattan, a palatial theater complete with baroque "gold" decor, red plush carpeting, marble staircase, throne-like waiting rooms, etc., and more importantly, a huge screen. I went with three 5th grade classmates; they knew my obsession with the Alamo and they got caught up in it too. The version we saw didn't have the birthday party and the other excised scenes, but they weren't missed. Still, I remember Johnny Riordan complaining, just after Bowie read of his wife's death and while the Texans were raising the morning flag, "When is the ffing fighting gonna begin?!" Well, it sure did, very soon after...and the rest is history. I went back to see it again and again...and then frequently again in the same theater in 1967, on its re-release. The TODD-AO colors, and the sharpness, I've rarely seen in any subsequent movie, especially in today's films that are made so ugly looking with green and yellow filters. That summer---1967---I must have drawn about 40-50 scenes inspired by the movie, which I still have. To this day seeing THE ALAMO on my home screen is just a mere echo, an appetizer only, of what it had been like seeing it on the big Loews screen.
The truth shall make you free.
garyzaboly

Postby Davy on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:16 am

Ahh yes the big screen! I remember my dad taking me to see it at the Worth theater down town! Egyption motiff etc .. it was great to experience the old grand theater style .. the movie was so much bigger than life! Later in '67 I saw it again as a teenager, and STILL wondered at the big screen image! I was lost forever then ... An Alamo addict for sure! :D

The glory .. the sound ... the color ... none better! Movies were different back then ... Lawrence of Arabia, Zulu, etc ... simply majestic to a small kid from Ft. Worth, Texas!

Davy
Davy

Postby gambler on Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:37 am

Mister Zaboly, could it be possible to see your Waynamo artworks done in the late sixties. As an fan of both your work and the movie, I would be very interested by those drawings (and a lot of people on this forum should be, too, for sure ; please ,dudes, help me on this one ;-)
Regards...
gambler

Postby garyzaboly on Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:00 am

Gambler, at the risk of embarrassing myself, guess I could post a few. Wade Dillon already posted three I did in 1967, on the AlamoSentry site. It might not be a bad idea to have any of the Membership, who drew and saved any that is, post their childhood/teen years Alamo-related drawings, under a separate category. They might help show how we arrived at our particular way of thinking about the subject---or just how bad we drew in those days!
garyzaboly

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:22 pm

Here's a link to the new thread regarding childhood artwork of the Alamo...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=414
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby garyzaboly on Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:57 am

One other moment I remember from the first time I saw Wayne's ALAMO at age ten, was when we were all walking home after seeing it, and one of the guys telling me how great it had been, and bloody, "but not as bloody as THE VIKINGS." Kids, huh!? I'd had no way of knowing this, having never seen THE VIKINGS before...and not until my late teen years.
garyzaboly

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:37 am

garyzaboly wrote:One other moment I remember from the first time I saw Wayne's ALAMO at age ten, was when we were all walking home after seeing it, and one of the guys telling me how great it had been, and bloody, "but not as bloody as THE VIKINGS." Kids, huh!? I'd had no way of knowing this, having never seen THE VIKINGS before...and not until my late teen years.

Ah yes, some equate blood with quality. :roll:
RLC-GTT

Postby zapadore on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:54 am

While younger than the rest of you baby boomers...I didn't see the Waynamo til it came to TV....the early 70's and we were living in Corpus Christi....was shown on CBS and aired in two parts......hell I enjoyed just watching the adverts for it on TV....sat a mere three feet from the TV and kept 'shushin' the familia throughout the whole affair....my 'bible' at the time was a copy of Birdwell's new release that we aquired from a friend who worked at the Mo and was able to get an extra copy....later I 'directed' a 4th grade play about....you know what!...More about that on another thread....
zapadore

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:25 pm

zapadore wrote:....my 'bible' at the time was a copy of Birdwell's new release that we aquired from a friend
who worked at the Mo and was able to get an extra copy....

Now that you mention it, I recall from a 1970's visit to the Alamo how they actually kept a copy of the 'bible' on
the desk counter inside the Alamo church! It's probably been removed to the Alamo Library, now. After all this
passage of time, I wonder what the current membership of the DRT thinks of The Waynamo? I do know that
they keep the Alamo Giftshop/Museum well stocked with the DVD of it and there are even a few non-Alamo
releated John Wayne items there.

QUESTION: Could these perhaps be some DRT members visiting the set? Does
anyone recognize them?
NefariousNed

Postby quincey morris on Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:27 pm

Not sure-can't tell if there is blue hair, rinestones or DRT Ribbons. :D :D :D
Jusk kidding :D
Marshal Pierre Bosquet
25 October 1854
quincey morris

Postby zapadore on Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:32 pm

Oh yes Ned....last time I checked the DRT still keep a copy inside the courtesy desk in the shrine....believe it or not some of the ladies still cling to the Wayne version of the battle!...
zapadore

Postby quincey morris on Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:00 pm

Remember during one of the de la Pena/Davy press blitzs one of the DRT was quoted as saying Davy died blowing up the powder magazine.
Marshal Pierre Bosquet
25 October 1854
quincey morris

Postby Davy on Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:46 pm

quincey morris wrote:Remember during one of the de la Pena/Davy press blitzs one of the DRT was quoted as saying Davy died blowing up the powder magazine.

You mean he didn't ... :o :lol: I seed it myself in tha movie!

Davy
Davy

Postby garyzaboly on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:48 pm

I remember studying the movie stills outside the Loews 175th Theatre, some time in late 1960 or early 1961, announcing that THE ALAMO would begin in that neighborhood theater next week. I distinctly recall one of them showed Jim Bowie in his room as the Mexicans enter it. I remember wondering, "Who the heck is that old guy in Bowie's room???"
garyzaboly

Postby Travis247 on Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:19 pm

The first time I saw The Alamo was in 1961. Back in those days there was a continuous showing. I stayed in the theatre with my friends for a total of three viewings the first day. Mom was not to happy because I missed supper for the movie.
I remember being disappointed in the Crockett character played by John Wayne because he wore a vest & neck kercheif. I said to myself " where are his buckskins?" naturally still biased by Fess Parkers version of Crockett. I remember I wanted to see Bowie layin sick in his bed ala Kenneth Tobey in Disneys version and also wondered why the Mexican Army had all different color uniforms. Then the battle scenes came and all was forgotten. To me these are the greatest Alamo battle scenes of all the Alamo movies. The Last Command has been in almost every Alamo movie. Enuff. Hancocks version, although 96% historically correct was a little boring, hearing only one rifle fire at a time. Wayne got it right, even with all the flaws and bad editing.
Travis247

Postby ScottG on Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:17 am

I saw it for the first time in 1967 during the re-release run. It was shown at the Oriental Theatre in downtown Chicago. It was continuous showings and my parents never paid much mind to when the films' actually started so we walked in somewhere during the Final Assault and then sat through it again.

Looking forward to seeing it for the second time on the big screen in about 10 days!
ScottG

Re: How Did You Find Out?

Postby Davy on Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:28 am

I made it a point to see it (or at least my Dad did & i went with him) at the Worth theater downtown Ft Worth, a grand old theater of the Egyptian motif ... the film blew me away as a kid 8 years old ... I made it a point to go see it there a few years later as well when it returned ... I still remember walking the balcony (they had 3 I think) & I find it interesting at what turned a young kids mind on at that age to those events and that particular film .. I was Alamo man forever after that! :D

Davy
Davy

Postby Davy on Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:32 am

We seems to have parallel threads on the same subject here .. see my remarks below on this link to the other thread! :D

viewtopic.php?f=7&p=39526#p39526

Davy
Davy

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:01 am

Davy wrote:We seems to have parallel threads on the same subject here .. see my remarks below on this link to the other thread! :D

http://johnwayne-thealamo.com/forum/vie ... 526#p39526

Davy

Well, the thread you are referring to is about how you found out about Alamo Village, not the first time you saw the film.
I moved your off topic post over to this thread where it belongs.
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:51 am

If our threads get tangled enough, do we have a sweater? :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby MartyB on Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:34 am

The first time I saw this movie was at the Post Theater at Fort Ord CA. The whole family went.

Since 1954 and Disney's Davy Crockett I had been studying history. I read everything I could on the Alamo and I regaled my family with all the facts and figures I had learned. I had read John Meyers Meyers book and had just got through with Lon Tinkle's '13 Days To Glory'. We ate our popcorn, drank our cokes and enjoyed a very lively John Wayne film.

When it ended my Dad looked at me and asked, "How much of this movie really happened?". I squeaked out none of it. My Dad smiled and said, "Kinda like Wyatt Earp...eh?" I nodded. My Dad had been a big Hugh O'Brien as Wyatt Earp (on TV) fan. When we got to Arizona and Fort Huachuca he immediately went to Tombstone, visited the OK Corral and (big mistake) bought several good books on Tombstone history. Wyatt Earp turned out to be a little bit different than the way Hugh O'Brien, Burt Lancaster, and Henry Fonda had portrayed him. The old man was disappointed.

To be honest I was more disappointed than Dad...yet...I enjoyed the movie itself. I had also enjoyed Disney's 'Davy Crockett' and I had really enjoyed "The Last Command" even though both were flawed. I had, however, expected so much more from John Wayne's movie that I felt it was a 'grand' failure.

Then a funny thing happened, when I was dating my wife "The Alamo" was re-released (about '66). We went to the movie theater and I really enjoyed it. I went without expecting a history lesson or docudrama. It turned out to be an exciting, rousing, well acted movie. When VHS came out "The Alamo" was one of my first tapes (along with Jeremiah Johnson") and "The Alamo" was the first DVD I purchased. I can honestly say that Wayne's Alamo is my greatest 'guilty pleasure'.

Kinda guess that is why I'm a member here.
Marty Brazil
Our past is not a dead past, but still lives. Our forefathers created the present by their sacrifice of the past. What they dreamed, we live…and…what they lived we dream.
MartyB

Postby Dakota Jeff on Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:46 pm

The first time I learned about the Alamo movie was probably in 1957 or 58 when my uncle Jimmy came to Chicago to go through two used book stores in downtown Chicago looking for out of print books on the subject. In fall of 1959 my parents went off to Brackettville, TX for a couple weeks to be on the set of the movie while it was being filmed. I was off at boarding school, and couldn't accompany them, a major regret, but they did send a post card. I got to hear their stories about being on the set during filming.

In the summer of 1960 my Dad took the family to see The Alamo in downtown Chicago within a day or two of the Chicago opening. The film amazed and delighted me, especially the battle scenes with their size and polish of the Mexican army. I was always a John Wayne fan. To a teenager, Travis seemed a single minded martinet while Crockett was a true leader of men.

In the fall of 1960 I went off to college in Waukeshaw, WI just outside Milwaukee. It wasn't until the Spring of 1961 that The Alamo made its way to the theater in Waukeshaw, and I invited this cute girl I had just met named Sue to see the movie with me. We stayed long enough through the second show so we could see my uncle's name in the credits twice. That was our first date, and last Spring we celebrated our 47th wedding anniversary. If you think the movie is important to me, you would be right as it is wound through two generations of my family.
Dakota Jeff

Next

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )