THE ALAMO and the Critics

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: THE ALAMO and the Critics

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:57 pm

Sharkman wrote:
So if it sparked that kind of interest it must be a great movie , love you guys :shock: :ugeek:

And that says it all. Yes.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:03 pm

SantaClaus wrote:I'm speaking about Richard McClory's idea of what makes a movie so great that it can move me emotionally and physically, always be spellbinding, and be something I'll always "Remember", just like the movie poster says. :)

I think it was Charlton Heston who said, "A movie needs to "move" the audience." My much older (than I) brother Joe -- a very well educated man -- had a simply view of what made a movie good: "It needs to make me laugh, cry and want to take the main characters home with me."
RLC-GTT

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:22 pm

Just what is their problem with "The Alamo"????? Do they dislike Wayne so much??? It was an epic film at the highlight of epic film making and yet.....
Blu_Ray treatments of epic films "Spartacus", "Mutiny on the Bounty","The Vikings", "How The West Was Won", "Zulu". Some major films missing here.
Are we missing something????? that the powers that be see and we don't? Disney does, "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes" in Blu-Ray and no '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea'????
It boggles my mind. Just does not make sense that a film like "The Alamo" is discarded on all fronts.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:23 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:
SantaClaus wrote:I'm speaking about Richard McClory's idea of what makes a movie so great that it can move me emotionally and physically, always be spellbinding, and be something I'll always "Remember", just like the movie poster says. :)

I think it was Charlton Heston who said, "A movie needs to "move" the audience." My much older (than I) brother Joe -- a very well educated man -- had a simply view of what made a movie good: "It needs to make me laugh, cry and want to take the main characters home with me."

I wanna take Ann-Margaret home no matter how she moved me :o
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby Buckshot on Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:26 pm

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:Just what is their problem with "The Alamo"????? Do they dislike Wayne so much??? It was an epic film at the highlight of epic film making and yet.....Blu_Ray treatments of epic films "Spartacus", "Mutiny on the Bounty","The Vikings", "How The West Was Won", "Zulu". Some major films missing here. Are we missing something????? that the powers that be see and we don't? Disney does, "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes" in Blu-Ray and no '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea'????
It boggles my mind. Just does not make sense that a film like "The Alamo" is discarded on all fronts.

Fargo just named five of my favorite films. And it seems like back then, directors paid more attention to the musical score, which seemed to impress people. Even as a kid, I loved the musical score of "How the West Was Won", but didn't find out till much later that Dimitri Tiomkin was initially approached to write the score, before Alfred Newman was finally chosen. And of course, Alamo 1960 was incredible, as was "Zulu".
Seems like the directors back then went for huge panoramic views in the background of the action sequences also. I had a vague idea that "cinerama" or "cinemascope" had something to do with compressing a wide image into a frame. It sure looked a lot bigger to a kid in a movie theatre, as did Alamo 1960.
Buckshot

Previous

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )