Alamo Music various artists

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: Alamo Music various artists

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:49 pm

A video I just finished of Eric Von Schmidt performing his song "THE ALAMO" inside the Alamo Village Cantina, Friday, March 7, 1986.
http://youtu.be/FZrluy2kLRc

Hope you enjoy it!
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Mon May 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Phil "Bucko" Rosenthal in performance recently with the PhilHarmonics. Among others songs, Phil also performed his original composition,
"Don't Want To Die At The Alamo". Talk about it, Bucko.
Attachments
PhilHarmonics1.jpg
PhilHarmonics1.jpg (120.13 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
PhilHarmonics2.jpg
PhilHarmonics2.jpg (140.13 KiB) Viewed 4532 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 19, 2014 7:20 pm

Lookin' great! (But somebody please help that poor fellow on the left. Somehow he got his thumbs stuck in his teeth!)
RLC-GTT

Postby Bucko on Mon May 19, 2014 7:39 pm

I told him to leave his dentures at home!!!!
Bucko

Postby Bucko on Mon May 19, 2014 8:00 pm

Saturday night's performance, instead of us accepting our usual fee, was dedicated to donations for Children's Cancer Research and Wounded Veterans, charities near and dear to the hearts of our 9 member band. Extremely satisfying turnout in Suburban Atlanta, GA. We've been asked back to do at least 2 more at the same venue.
Bucko

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 19, 2014 8:08 pm

That's fantastic, Phil -- and very generous for a good cause. (Now that you've said that, don't tell him about his dentures. ;) )
RLC-GTT

Postby Bucko on Tue May 20, 2014 10:32 pm

Next up: Charlottesville, VA this week; Savannah, GA next and then Asheville, NC. Might have to give up my day job but would miss those FF miles! One of the guys also does the Donovan version of "RTA". Would love to do some at HHD 2015; haven't been down there for that since I think 1980. Besides you already have the best there is to do your music - Mad Mike Boldt! They don 't get no better than that!
Bucko

Postby bgroneman on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:30 am

Phil, That's great! What was the venue, and what are the venues of the upcoming gigs?

Speaking of gigs, if anyone out there will be in the vicinity of the Doubletree Hotel in Sacramento from June 24 to 29, come and visit the Western Writers of America at our annual convention. I'll be playing music all five nights there with a group of friends, all writers and musicians. We call ourselves the WWA's "Regimental Singers." There are always surprises. Two years ago we had actor Wes Studi sit in with us.
bgroneman

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:10 am

bgroneman wrote:Phil, That's great! What was the venue, and what are the venues of the upcoming gigs?

Speaking of gigs, if anyone out there will be in the vicinity of the Doubletree Hotel in Sacramento from June 24 to 29, come and visit the Western Writers of America at our annual convention. I'll be playing music all five nights there with a group of friends, all writers and musicians. We call ourselves the WWA's "Regimental Singers." There are always surprises. Two years ago we had actor Wes Studi sit in with us.

Wes is a very nice fellow. Had lunch across the table from him during the filming of Streets of Laredo (which spooked me at first when I suddenly realized Magua from Last of the Mohicans was across from me) and then bumped into him again when he arrived on the Bexar set at Dripping Springs the day before his scenes as Chief Bowles were scheduled to shoot.

Have a good time in Sacramento.
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:42 am

RLC-GTT wrote:
bgroneman wrote:Phil, That's great! What was the venue, and what are the venues of the upcoming gigs?

Wes is a very nice fellow. Had lunch across the table from him during the filming of Streets of Laredo (which spooked me at first when I suddenly realized Magua from Last of the Mohicans was across from me) and then bumped into him again when he arrived on the Bexar set at Dripping Springs the day before his scenes as Chief Bowles were scheduled to shoot.

Unfortunately, he portrays Cochise in "A Million Ways To Die In The West". Oh well, I guess the guy has to eat.
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:25 am

NefariousNed wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:

Unfortunately, he portrays Cochise in "A Million Ways To Die In The West". Oh well, I guess the guy has to eat.

I'd give anything to see his performance cut from The Alamo. The one still I've seen rocks!
RLC-GTT

Postby MartyB on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:17 pm

Of interest...

Sheet music…Katzenberger, G. Read & Thompson…1883…San Antonio
Attachments
A_001c.jpg
A_001c.jpg (220.78 KiB) Viewed 4311 times
A_001d.JPG
A_001d.JPG (228.41 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
Marty Brazil
Our past is not a dead past, but still lives. Our forefathers created the present by their sacrifice of the past. What they dreamed, we live…and…what they lived we dream.
MartyB

Postby alamobill on Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:46 am

I still have my 78 RPM vinyl soundtrack. I received it for Christmas in 1961.....almost 53 years ago. The album jacket is scuffed and taped, but it's still intact. I played this album so much that I literally wore out my parents record player. My dad was in no hurry to get it repaired or buy a new one, so I persuaded our neighbor across the street to let me come over and listen to it on their record player. ;)

alamobill

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:54 am

I've got several of those. LOL. I kept wearing out the records. Oh, and I'm impressed that you remember 78 rpm records, but these are 33-1/3 speed. ;) I used to play it at my Uncle's until I got a phonograph. That and Spartacus.
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:00 am

Yeah, 78 RPM. I remember my folks talking about that.
MUSTANG

Postby alamobill on Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:24 am

RLC-GTT wrote:I've got several of those. LOL. I kept wearing out the records. Oh, and I'm impressed that you remember 78 rpm records, but these are 33-1/3 speed. ;) I used to play it at my Uncle's until I got a phonograph. That and Spartacus.

Oh no, Rich. Mine is a special edition. It's a combination 33-1/3 rpm plus 45 rpm minus 1/3 rpm :lol:
alamobill

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:40 am

My uncle liked The Alamo soundtrack, but he said that Spartacus sounded like his wife in the next room washing dishes. :lol: I love them both.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:41 am

MUSTANG wrote:Yeah, 78 RPM. I remember my folks talking about that.

Uh-HUH! Just you wait!
RLC-GTT

Postby Seguin on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:02 am

The album jacket is scuffed and taped, but it's still intact.

Is´nt that a contradiction in terms? :D I know what you mean though. ;)
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby cc nolen on Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:59 pm

I still like Marty Robins singing the ballad of the Alamo......puts ya right in the mood! :D
Chris...
cc nolen

Lawrence Welk album?

Postby DocWylie on Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:43 pm

Saw this on ebay from some seller down in Argentina and could not resist. I doubt that I'll ever play the record (mainly because I no longer have a record player)... but I love the cover art. It's gonna look real nice framed in my Alamo Room!
Attachments
elalamo.jpg
elalamo.jpg (50.21 KiB) Viewed 4498 times
DocWylie

Re: Lawrence Welk album?

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:36 pm

DocWylie wrote:Saw this on ebay from some seller down in Argentina and could not resist. I doubt that I'll ever play the record (mainly because I no longer have a record player)... but I love the cover art. It's gonna look real nice framed in my Alamo Room!

I was not aware that Welk did an album. I'd love to find out what's on it and was it released in the U.S.
RLC-GTT

Postby Don on Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:29 pm

I looked up this album on eBay in the UK and found a track listing, which was in Spanish. Google Translate gave a very rough translation of the track names and then I found this US release of what I believe is the same album, just named Last Date. The only Alamo related song that I could see was The Green Leaves Of Summer. I bought an extended play 45 RPM record of Lawrence Welk - The Alamo from someone in South America a few years ago and it only had The Green Leaves of Summer too from The Alamo and other unrelated songs. Same picture on the sleeve though. Good find of the LP though and it will look great framed.

This should take you to the Google Translate page
https://translate.google.ca/#auto/en/SI ... ELODIE%20D´AMOUR%0A4.%20TEMA%20DE%20LA%20NOCHE%0A5.%20MI%20CORAZON%20PIENSA%20EN%20SI%20MISMO%0A6.%20NEBLINA

This link should take you to the US release
http://www.discogs.com/Lawrence-Welk-An ... se/3485997
Don

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:26 pm

Just about what I expected. The Green Leaves of Summer (I have heard Welk's version) and that's all. They were just using the Wayne film as the promotional gimmick for the album. Thanks for checking. And, yes, the jacket is worth the purchase.
RLC-GTT

Postby DocWylie on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:41 am

Yes, it appears the song listing includes just Green Leaves of Summer as the only selection from The Alamo. If I ever get around to getting a record player I'll see how this album sounds. Heck, maybe there's something from The Horse Soldiers! That would account for the Duke being depicted in his US Cavalry outfit on the cover! :lol:
DocWylie

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:32 am

Well, my guess is that it would account for the fact that the picture of John Wayne on the cover was the only one they had in their files. ;) I have two ads from the Philadelphia Bulletin from 1961 for The Alamo when it first hit "your neighborhood theaters" after it's Limited Engagement in Todd-AO. All the printed promotion was correct, but the photo of John Wayne was from Hondo -- and the battle scenes were from The Last Command!!!!
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:46 am

I had gotten the 45/EP from the album on eBay (which includes the song from THE ALAMO, along with an Ames
Brothers cover) from a guy in Argentina.
Attachments
Welkmo.jpg
Welkmo.jpg (82.49 KiB) Viewed 4427 times
NefariousNed

Postby DocWylie on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:52 am

Could be the same Argentinian I dealt with on eBay! Evidently they have the corner on the market for these albums/45's.

I knew the cover photo was authentic when I saw the crooked cross on top of the chapel. :roll:
DocWylie

Postby The Colonel on Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:50 pm

Not sure if this is the best place to put this but...

Finally complete: The Green Leaves of Summer music video.
This was recorded early last year, but my son just finished the video editing.
It's been on YouTube for less than a week.

This is a classical guitar arrangement by Laurindo Almeida of the Dimitri Tiomkin composition.

Take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av7sZODK91s

Music_Video.jpg
My son and I during the recording
Music_Video.jpg (37.05 KiB) Viewed 4326 times
Do not be uneasy about me. I am among friends.
The Colonel

Location: Between Possum Kingdom & Hickory Tavern, South Carolina

Postby jiminnc on Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:50 am

Came across this song "Within the Walls" by Lee Spencer White and Bobby Keel which was released 1/15/15

The YouTube version can be heard at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j72YBL8nq1o#t=12

and the original article at http://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/l ... /21867951/

Jim in NC
jiminnc

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:21 pm

jiminnc wrote:Came across this song "Within the Walls" by Lee Spencer White and Bobby Keel which was released 1/15/15

The YouTube version can be heard at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j72YBL8nq1o#t=12

and the original article at http://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/l ... /21867951/

Jim in NC

Thanks for sharing, Jim! Just in time for HHDs.
NefariousNed

Corwyn Edwards fabulous version of Green Leaves of Summer

Postby michaelalamo on Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:11 pm

I wanted to make everyone aware of my good friend Corwyn Edwards' fantastic rendition of THE GREEN LEAVES OF SUMMER. Beside being a wonderful solo guitarist his artwork has graced a number of covers of the ALAMO JOURNAL. Corwyn really brings a sensitivity to the arrangement that is very rare in these days of electronic music. Click on the link , sit back and enjoy the magic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av7sZODK91s

I didn't read it...I heard it !!!
michaelalamo

Postby cc nolen on Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:49 am

The Colonel wrote:Not sure if this is the best place to put this but...

Finally complete: The Green Leaves of Summer music video.
This was recorded early last year, but my son just finished the video editing.
It's been on YouTube for less than a week.

This is a classical guitar arrangement by Laurindo Almeida of the Dimitri Tiomkin composition.

Take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av7sZODK91s

Music_Video.jpg

Wow! Corwyn You rascal!!! I had no idea you could do that! You been holding back :D ***Gotta get ya a better knife though!
Chris...
cc nolen

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:47 pm

AlamoMo wrote:Here you go Michael

A cracking song and video my friend :) :) :) :)

To all involved thank you from us over here for all your hard work and effort

Best wishes as always

Mo, Gill & Charlotte

NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:32 pm

As I would not be with my brother John and his wife Debora for Christmas, they gave me an early Christmas present to
open while I was visiting with them in Nebraska recently. The present was a music CD called, "Pop Goes The West", a UK
produced album of movie songs of the West. The 33 song disc is a hodge-podge of the familiar, along with some lesser
known film themes. Of Alamo interest were the opening tracks which include an introduction from John Wayne that goes
something like, "Hello, this is John Wayne. Following are some songs my friends Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson sing. Give
them a listen." This is immediately followed by Martin and Nelson singing, "My Rifle, My Pony And Me" from "Rio Bravo",
plus Nelson singing "Restless Kid" and Martin's "Rio Bravo". Nelson Riddle's version of the "De Guello" comes next, then
Marty Robbins with, "Ballad Of The Alamo," The Brothers Four with, "Green Leaves Of Summer" and Frankie Avalon's
version of "Tennessee Babe".

Johnny Horton sings, "North To Alaska", Frankie Laine does the "High Noon" theme and there's even a nice version of "Apache"
by Jorgen Ingmann. Closing the disc is none other than Roy Rogers and Dale Evans singing "Happy Trails To You". Overall, the
collection sounds like a disc of songs a Western movie buff might throw together for his, or her own listening pleasure. And
that's not such a bad thing.

Album c - 2012 Cherry Red Records
Attachments
THEALAMO1.jpg
THEALAMO1.jpg (78.76 KiB) Viewed 2725 times
THEALAMO2.jpg
THEALAMO2.jpg (91.44 KiB) Viewed 2729 times
THEALAMO3.jpg
THEALAMO3.jpg (49.48 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
PopGoesTheWestCDcover.jpg
PopGoesTheWestCDcover.jpg (93.19 KiB) Viewed 2734 times
NefariousNed

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:42 am

Seems Mo has provided the source to that John Wayne introduction to Dean and Ricky's "My Rifle Pony,
And Me" on the above CD. Thanks, Mo!
Attachments
RioBravoPromo45.jpg
RioBravoPromo45.jpg (38.3 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
NefariousNed

Previous

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )