RECASTING ALAMO MOVIES

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: RECASTING ALAMO MOVIES

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun May 20, 2012 8:46 pm

Hi nyBob. Welcome to the board.

I think the age of the actor is flexible, since this is about a "dream cast." Errol Flynn as a young man... Fonda as an older man... Quinn as a non-Greek (LOL)... Ann-Margaret as Lisa! :lol:

Not so sure about Quinn. He still rings more true in Guns of Navarone than he does from Viva Zapata for me. He's always been too hulky, as far as I remember.

Ricardo Montalban was cast and then uncast in the part for 13 Days to Glory but 1 Minute to the Next Commercial in the Santa Anna role. Thank goodness Raoul Julia got the part. Had it been Montalban (who did look the part), I'm afraid I would have just heard him saying "Eet has Corinthian leather seat-covers" or "Tattoo! Tattoo!"
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun May 20, 2012 8:53 pm

Casting really depends (among many other considerations) upon what shade of a history-based character you are trying to portray as a director. This can be reflected by how people think of it afterwords.

I have heard folks say John Wayne was perfect as Crockett because he was an American icon playing an American icon, and I agree.

I have heard Dennis Quaid comment on Billy Bob Thornton's Crockett by saying he was perfect, since he was "A country hick from Arkansas playing a country hick from Tennessee," and I agree.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun May 20, 2012 8:56 pm

Arthur Hunnicutt captured the crackerbarrel, homespun entertainment quality of Crockett, and was there to do little more. Fess Parker gave a true picture of the real Crockett's simplicity and honesty -- hence a model for children. Brian Keith gave.......... nothing.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun May 20, 2012 9:00 pm

Don't forget Merrill Conelly (sp?) in POF. Many like him a lot. I have always thought of him as too Indian-looking (Crockett was NOT lanky and craggy in 1836) and too humorless. I couldn't see men wanting to flock around him as I could with Hunnicutt and Thornton and Wayne. But then, POF wasn't about casting, it was about reenacting and historical accuracy.
RLC-GTT

Postby wconly on Sun May 20, 2012 10:17 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:Don't forget Merrill Conelly (sp?) in POF. Many like him a lot. I have always thought of him as too Indian-looking (Crockett was NOT lanky and craggy in 1836) and too humorless. I couldn't see men wanting to flock around him as I could with Hunnicutt and Thornton and Wayne. But then, POF wasn't about casting, it was about reenacting and historical accuracy.

Agreed. To me, he was the only real weak link in the production. I found it very difficult to warm up to him in any way. Did like the cap though! W>
wconly

Postby cc nolen on Mon May 21, 2012 4:30 pm

In thinking about who could play who....I dont know how old James Arness was in 1959. I would say around 30 to 35. I think he would have been a good Jim Bowie for the Waynamo.
Maybe a youthful Nick Adams as Travis or the Corbin guy who played Pat Garrett in Chisholm..... :roll: just a thought
Chris...
cc nolen

Postby K Hale on Mon May 21, 2012 7:10 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:Hi nyBob. Welcome to the board.

I think the age of the actor is flexible, since this is about a "dream cast." Errol Flynn as a young man... Fonda as an older man... Quinn as a non-Greek (LOL)... Ann-Margaret as Lisa! :lol:

Not so sure about Quinn. He still rings more true in Guns of Navarone than he does from Viva Zapata for me. He's always been too hulky, as far as I remember.

Ricardo Montalban was cast and then uncast in the part for 13 Days to Glory but 1 Minute to the Next Commercial in the Santa Anna role. Thank goodness Raoul Julia got the part. Had it been Montalban (who did look the part), I'm afraid I would have just heard him saying "Eet has Corinthian leather seat-covers" or "Tattoo! Tattoo!"

I'd have heard "Revenge is a dish best served cold, Gen. Cos. And it was very cold in the mountains."
Verum non in verbus, sed in testimonium.
K Hale

Postby cc nolen on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:14 pm

Randy Quade as Davy Crockett....just a thought :roll:
From Cousin Eddie to The King of the Wild Frontier......maybe Jim Carey as James Bowie, and Justin Beiber as Travis :shock:
We could fill the seats.....if Robin can get serious, so can Jim. :?:
cc nolen

Postby wconly on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:38 pm

cc nolen wrote:Randy Quade as Davy Crockett....just a thought :roll:
From Cousin Eddie to The King of the Wild Frontier......maybe Jim Carey as James Bowie, and Justin Beiber as Travis :shock:
We could fill the seats.....if Robin can get serious, so can Jim. :?:

Justin Bieber :shock: ? Chris...seriously -- when do you see your doctor again :lol: ? Heck, with him in the role, Santa Anna wouldn't be needed to kill him! One of the other principle charactors (the actors themselves -- not the part they are playing) would take care of the job! Now, looking back and I can't belive I am saying this, but truthfully if he was still the age he was, or just a bit younger and still looked like he did when he played Howard Hughes in "The Aviator," Leonardo DiCaprio just might have been molded into a pretty good Travis. W>
wconly

Postby K Hale on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:47 pm

Chris! This broke my brain!
K Hale

Postby Rob on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:07 pm

From Cousin Eddie to The King of the Wild Frontier......maybe Jim Carey as James Bowie, and Justin Beiber as Travis :shock: We could fill the seats.....if Robin can get serious, so can Jim. :?:

Surely, you jest, but if the Waynamo were made today, I wouldn't have been suprised to see the Duke choose "The Biebs" for the role of Smitty (an indispensible and necessary role if ever there were one ;) ).
This is it, Crockett, they've breached the North Wall, we gotta'...
Rob

Postby Travis247 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Rob wrote:
From Cousin Eddie to The King of the Wild Frontier......maybe Jim Carey as James Bowie, and Justin Beiber as Travis :shock: We could fill the seats.....if Robin can get serious, so can Jim. :?:

Surely, you jest, but if the Waynamo were made today, I wouldn't have been suprised to see the Duke choose "The Biebs" for the role of Smitty (an indispensible and necessary role if ever there were one ;) ).

I heard tell at one time that Andy Griffith would have been a great Crockett. Southern drawl, tall man, great sense of humor. I would say him for Crockett, Arness for Bowie (4get the Gunsmoke contract 4 now,just sayin) and the Duke as Houston. Travis? Well bein partial to the Colonel I would say Harvey or Richard Burton. Easy now boys, just a sayin.

Frank
T247
Travis247

Postby wconly on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:43 pm

Travis247 wrote:
Rob wrote:

I heard tell at one time that Andy Griffith would have been a great Crockett. Southern drawl, tall man, great sense of humor. I would say him for Crockett, Arness for Bowie (4get the Gunsmoke contract 4 now,just sayin) and the Duke as Houston. Travis? Well bein partial to the Colonel I would say Harvey or Richard Burton. Easy now boys, just a sayin.

Frank
T247

I can see where you are coming from with Griffith, but he was way to young for Crockett at the time of this production. W>
wconly

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:26 am

Griffith was offered the role for 13 DAYS TO GLORY, but could not get away because of his commitment to MATLOCK.

Rob wrote:

Surely, you jest, but if the Waynamo were made today, I wouldn't have been surprised to see the Duke choose "The Biebs" for the role of Smitty (an indispensible and necessary role if ever there were one ;) ).

No doubt, Rob. But "The Biebs"?!

As for Randy Quaid, he probably could do a surprisingly good Crockett . Beyond comedy the guy really can act, if called upon. And seeing a humorous side to Crockett would not be so bad, now would it? While I liked Billy Bob, with the dialogue he was given, he was probably the most morose screen Crockett yet.
I mean, how many people would want to follow him around just to hear the tater story one more time? I can just hear it, "Hey Davy, tell us once again about them roasted Indians you ate! That's a real knee-slapper."

Again, as for Randy Quaid, I think he could pull off a better Crockett than his brother Dennis' ever could as Houston.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby cc nolen on Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:44 pm

K Hale wrote:

LOL!!!!...I was just trying to get the conversation going :lol: :lol: .....sounds like a job well done! ;)
Cant you see Justin trying to draw the line with that big ole sword! LOL! :lol: :lol:
cc nolen

Postby wconly on Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:58 pm

cc nolen wrote:
K Hale wrote:

LOL!!!!...I was just trying to get the conversation going :lol: :lol: .....sounds like a job well done! ;)
Cant you see Justin trying to draw the line with that big ole sword! LOL! :lol: :lol:

Probably have his hairdresser do it for him :lol: ! With a curling iron and blow dryer :shock: :lol: ! W>
wconly

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:28 pm

Seriously, as Rob suggested, today, Wayne would've cast Bieber as Smitty to draw in the teen audience. It was a stupid decision then with Avalon
and it would be a stupid decision today with Bieber, but there it is.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby K Hale on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:13 pm

The Biebs.... :lol:
K Hale

Postby cc nolen on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:37 pm

Chris Rock as Jethro.... :shock: .. :lol: we're on a roll now!
"Nah sir...when day cum in with dem blades, I waz with um, I aint covering him"
"Its da white mans fault!"..."Look where da white man done got me in" ... "Laudy laudy, kills all dem whities"..."Us Black Folks wouldnt be hemed up in no church".....etc etc. :lol:
cc nolen

Postby K Hale on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:42 pm

cc nolen wrote:Chris Rock as Jethro.... :shock: .. :lol: we're on a roll now!
"Nah sir...when day cum in with dem blades, I waz with um, I aint covering him"
"Its da white mans fault!"..."Look where da white man done got me in" ... "Laudy laudy, kills all dem whities"..."Us Black Folks wouldnt be hemed up in no church".....etc etc. :lol:

Sounds more like Sam than Jethro. ;)

Chris Rock is actually hilarious IMO. Have you seen the video "How Not to Get Your Ass Kicked by the Police"?
K Hale

Postby Seguin on Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:28 am

As for Randy Quaid, he probably could do a surprisingly good Crockett . Beyond comedy the guy really can act, if called upon. And seeing a humorous side to Crockett would not be so bad, now would it? While I liked Billy Bob, with the dialogue he was given, he was probably the most morose screen Crockett yet.
I mean, how many people would want to follow him around just to hear the tater story one more time? I can just hear it, "Hey Davy, tell us once again about them roasted Indians you ate! That's a real knee-slapper."

Again, as for Randy Quaid, I think he could pull off a better Crockett than his brother Dennis' ever could as Houston.

I agree! Randy Quaid could play a great Crockett. He ought to play Crockett if a movie over Crockett´s life would be made (are you listening, Hollywood?). I´ll bet he could tell the tater story better than Billy Bob did, maybe even adding a little bit of humor to it. He would be great at telling some of Crockett´s yarns. The guy can act and he can be real funny too. He would be the perfect Crockett as far as I´m concerned.
Attachments
RandyQuaidAsCousinEddieInNationalLampoon´sChristmasVacation-2.jpg
RandyQuaidAsCousinEddieInNationalLampoon´sChristmasVacation-2.jpg (14.58 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby gtj222 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:33 am

I have always liked him, shame he is having all those mental (drug?) problems.
gtj222

Postby cc nolen on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:53 pm

I thought everyone in Hollywood had that issue :o ...except Eastwood and Sellic.. :lol:
cc nolen

Postby gtj222 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:59 pm

Ha! You are probably right!!!
gtj222

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:21 pm

Seguin wrote:

I agree! Randy Quaid could play a great Crockett. He ought to play Crockett if a movie over Crockett´s life would be made (are you listening, Hollywood?). I´ll bet he could tell the tater story better than Billy Bob did, maybe even adding a little bit of humor to it. He would be great at telling some of Crockett´s yarns. The guy can act and he can be real funny too. He would be the perfect Crockett as far as I´m concerned.

Not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:42 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:
Seguin wrote:

Not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait til you've seen. I recall your having misgivings about Billy-Bob as Crockett, until you saw that behind-the scenes clip of him telling Travis, "The men need a word with you... During my time in Congress, the other fellers made a good deal of sport of me..." Then you were hooked.
NefariousNed

Postby K Hale on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:08 pm

Before I saw the movie, I had misgivings about Thornton too, but that was because I had him confused with Ted Nugent. :?: I'm still not sure who in the world Randy Quaid is.

Why yes, this is a nice cave I live in. I know just where everything is...
K Hale

Postby Davy on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:15 pm

K Hale wrote:Before I saw the movie, I had misgivings about Thornton too, but that was because I had him confused with Ted Nugent. :?: I'm still not sure who in the world Randy Quaid is.

Watch Vacation, Independence Day, or Midnight Express ... Kristi! :lol:
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby NefariousNed on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:27 pm

Davy wrote:
K Hale wrote:Before I saw the movie, I had misgivings about Thornton too, but that was because I had him confused with Ted Nugent. :?: I'm still not sure who in the world Randy Quaid is.

Watch Vacation, Independence Day, or Midnight Express ... Kristi! :lol:

Or, THE LONG RIDERS, where Quaid portrays one of the James gang, or PURGATORY, where he portrays Doc Holliday.
NefariousNed

Postby cc nolen on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:25 pm

I got it.....Mathew McConaughey as Jim Bowie....the forehead, the sharp features, and he's from Texas! :D
cc nolen

Postby K Hale on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:47 pm

cc nolen wrote:I got it.....Mathew McConaughey as Jim Bowie....the forehead, the sharp features, and he's from Texas! :D

:?
K Hale

Postby NefariousNed on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:44 am

K Hale wrote:
cc nolen wrote:I got it.....Mathew McConaughey as Jim Bowie....the forehead, the sharp features, and he's from Texas! :D

:?

No, no, no, it's...

Nefarious wrote:Image
Sean Connery, Matthew McConaughey, and Tom Hanks as the Alamo's "Holy Trinity".
NefariousNed

Postby gtj222 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:52 am

Nice, Ned. Sean Connery as Bowie. Mathew McConaughy as Travis, and Tom Hanks as Crockett!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I like the first two big time, but not Hanks.
gtj222

Postby cc nolen on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:13 pm

Sean is around a 100 yrs old and Mathew has got to be in his 40s and Hanks is Forrest Gump!... :lol: :lol:
cc nolen

Postby cc nolen on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:15 pm

Might as well, have Jim Nabors as Travis, Andy Griffith as Crockett and Kirk Douglas as Bowie.... :roll:
cc nolen

Postby gtj222 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:30 pm

I think the concept was Sean Connery when he was the same age as Bowie and the other actors at the same age as the true life people. Yes Connery today is wayy to old.
gtj222

Postby Seguin on Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:22 am

I believe he´s dead now, but I think Rodney Dangerfield would´ve made a great Beekeeper. :D
Attachments
RodneyDangerfield.jpg
RodneyDangerfield.jpg (7.92 KiB) Viewed 4053 times
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby wconly on Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:35 am

Seguin wrote:I believe he´s dead now, but I think Rodney Dangerfield would´ve made a great Beekeeper. :D

Yes, quite dead, unfortunitely. Loved Dangerfield. Beekeeper? Interesting concept. I can just here it when his keg gets blown away -- "Even my whiskey can't get no respect :lol: !" W>
wconly

Postby cc nolen on Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:44 pm

Good Choice!!!! :lol: :lol:
cc nolen

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:34 pm

I recieved The complete series of Yancy Derringer as a present and dog gone it. Jock Mahony would have made a good Bowie.
Fargo Fenwyck

PreviousNext

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )