RECASTING ALAMO MOVIES

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: RECASTING ALAMO MOVIES

Postby Seguin on Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:31 am

I read an interview with him where he said he specifically did not want to find out anything about Seguin, so that he could look more unsure about what he was fighting for.

That´s the first time I´ve heard of an actor thinking he would do a better job of portraying a character by not doing any research on the character. A bit weird, if you ask me. Not that he did´nt do a great job. He´s the best Seguin character in the movies so far.

Seguin was more or less hosed no matter how any war turned out, wasn't he? Very unfortunate. :?

Yes, very unfortunate indeed!
Attachments
a23-SeguinFoto1A.jpg
a23-SeguinFoto1A.jpg (39.82 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:45 am

Seguin wrote:
I read an interview with him where he said he specifically did not want to find out anything about Seguin, so that he could look more unsure about what he was fighting for.

That´s the first time I´ve heard of an actor thinking he would do a better job of portraying a character by not doing any research on the character. A bit weird, if you ask me. Not that he did´nt do a great job. He´s the best Seguin character in the movies so far.

Seguin was more or less hosed no matter how any war turned out, wasn't he? Very unfortunate. :?

Yes, very unfortunate indeed!

Certain types of actors are far better in creating a role if they are free to respond ONLY to the script and the director. Remember the old addage, "Too much information can be a dangerous thing." Very true for a certain style of acting, and I take it that Jordi Molla is of that type. Anyway, the proof is in the pudding. He achieved Seguin and did it superbly -- and with a characterization that only he could have done. To me (and the industry for the most part) that is acting.
RLC-GTT

Postby Seguin on Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:21 am

I´m sure you´re right, Rich. My knowledge of acting is limited, maybe even very limited, and that´s probably why I´ve never heard of an actor not wanting to research his character before. Jordi Molla certainly created a very believable Seguin, and it was great to see Seguin being more than a minor character in an Alamo film.
Attachments
a64-Seguin-Alamo2004-JordiMolla.jpg
a64-Seguin-Alamo2004-JordiMolla.jpg (40.87 KiB) Viewed 3642 times
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:03 am

Likewise, Jason Patric did not want to visit the real Alamo until after the filming. He wanted to feel the set without comparing it to the real thing. ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby Seguin on Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:20 am

RLC-GTT wrote:Likewise, Jason Patric did not want to visit the real Alamo until after the filming. He wanted to feel the set without comparing it to the real thing. ;)

Right, no reason to get confused by the real thing. ;) :D
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby K Hale on Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:58 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:Likewise, Jason Patric did not want to visit the real Alamo until after the filming. He wanted to feel the set without comparing it to the real thing. ;)

You mean they aren't exactly the same???

For the record, JP did, however, read THREE ROADS TO THE ALAMO (at least the Bowie chapters) as well as consulting directly with William C. Davis. I loved the results both he and Molla got, so, whatever works.
Verum non in verbus, sed in testimonium.
K Hale

Postby Seguin on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:54 am

I did´nt know Patric read Davis´ book. I think it´s a good idea for an actor to know a bit or two about the character he´s portraying, and that´s why I found it odd that Jordi Molla did´nt do some research for his character, but he sure pulled it off anyway, and that´s the only thing that matters.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby K Hale on Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:08 am

I also have it on authority that Dennis Quaid was seen reading The Raven on-set.

Didn't seem to take, IMO... but the effort was there.
K Hale

Postby Seguin on Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:15 am

That´s cool. Yes, the effort was there alright. He seemed to put a lot of energy into the part. What was it about his way of playing Houston you did´nt like? Was it too much over the top?
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby K Hale on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:46 am

More or less. He seemed a bit more like a parody of Houston than how I would imagine Houston to have actually been. Sort of like an Elvis impersonator who goes all out with the white suit and cape and the huge sunglasses and all the rhinestones and stuff, but doesn't really sing passably like him.
K Hale

Postby gtj222 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:49 am

I thought he was like a bad Al Pacino imitation with that voice.
gtj222

Postby K Hale on Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:31 am

He doesn't get extra points for being a Texan, either. I'm a Texan, and I guarantee you I would make a sorry Sam Houston.
K Hale

Postby Seguin on Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:32 am

K Hale wrote:More or less. He seemed a bit more like a parody of Houston than how I would imagine Houston to have actually been. Sort of like an Elvis impersonator who goes all out with the white suit and cape and the huge sunglasses and all the rhinestones and stuff, but doesn't really sing passably like him.

Sort of like an Elvis impersonator? That´s some image! :D - I think I know what you mean. He´s portrait of Houston did´nt ring true to me either. It was like he used too much bravado. I liked Sam Elliott´s portrayal of Houston in, "Houston: The Legend Of Texas", much better. It somehow seemed more natural to me than Quaid´s portrayal.
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:26 am

Seguin wrote:
K Hale wrote:More or less. He seemed a bit more like a parody of Houston than how I would imagine Houston to have actually been. Sort of like an Elvis impersonator who goes all out with the white suit and cape and the huge sunglasses and all the rhinestones and stuff, but doesn't really sing passably like him.

Sort of like an Elvis impersonator? That´s some image! :D - I think I know what you mean. He´s portrait of Houston did´nt ring true to me either. It was like he used too much bravado. I liked Sam Elliott´s portrayal of Houston in, "Houston: The Legend Of Texas", much better. It somehow seemed more natural to me than Quaid´s portrayal.

I liked Russell Crowe's portrayal of Houston -- I watched it twenty times in my head -- and then the turkey backed out of doing the part when Ron left as director. I would like to see the rest of Dennis Quaid's performance -- all his scenes with the Cherokee and Talihina -- before really judging his performance. With half his written and performed character arc deleted by the Mouse House, of course he seems over the top. It was a balance and now it's not. As for Sam Elliott, I like him, but he played Yosemite Sam more than Sam Houston.
RLC-GTT

Postby K Hale on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:57 pm

Well, we'll just have to wait for that director's cut. ;)
K Hale

Postby wconly on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:45 am

Nefarious wrote:I was just watching MAN OF THE WEST (1958) with Gary Cooper. He looked fairly well in it. Well enough to have played
Davy Crockett in THE WAYNAMO. I think he would've done a great job of it and freed Wayne up to concentrate on both
directing and producing the film. Wayne could've even then portrayed Houston. Just a thought.

Interesting concept! I had never thought about Cooper as Crockett -- "It do make the mind ponder the possibilies." W>
wconly

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:53 pm

I don't think he looked so bad in "Wreck of the Maria Deare" with Heston. It was close to the same time.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm

He was 58 at the time of filming The Alamo. I don't even recall his name being considered as were actors for Bowie and Travis. Remember too that Wayne was forced into doing the lead for financial reasons. UA wouldn't handle the picture unless Wayne starred. I am sure Wayne's boxoffice draw was far greater than Coop's at this point, and THAT'S what it's all about in the motion picture BUSINESS. ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby gtj222 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:34 pm

Plus in April of 1960 Coop had surgery for cancer and died in 1961 so it is a good chance he was probably not feeling too well in 1959 when they were filming the movie.
gtj222

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:38 am

gtj222 wrote:Plus in April of 1960 Coop had surgery for cancer and died in 1961 so it is a good chance he was probably not feeling too well in 1959 when they were filming the movie.

I thought of that and forgot to mention it. Yes, he might just have been too ill. But again, there was no "buzz" that he was being considered or "in talks" for the part at any point, as far as I know. Mustang?
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:17 pm

NOTE: I've moved the discussion of THE ALAMO (2004) Director's Cut over to the Director's Cut thread in the OTHER ALAMO RELATED
MOVIES section.

Here's the shortcut:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=609&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=150#p70504
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:56 pm

Good idea. We DO go on, don't we. :oops:
RLC-GTT

Postby bustedluck on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:05 am

You all may laugh at this, but I read that Jason Patric is the grandson of Jackie Gleason. Is that true? I also saw on the DVD of the 2004 Alamo that he read "Three Roads to the Alamo" and really wanted to play Bowie.
bustedluck

Postby gtj222 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:57 am

All true. Although I think he read "Roads" after being cast as Bowie.
gtj222

Postby K Hale on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:22 am

gtj222 wrote:All true. Although I think he read "Roads" after being cast as Bowie.

He did, as per the commentary track on the DVD. He also called William C. Davis and got his advice. Well done.
K Hale

Postby wconly on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:28 am

bustedluck wrote:You all may laugh at this, but I read that Jason Patric is the grandson of Jackie Gleason. Is that true? I also saw on the DVD of the 2004 Alamo that he read "Three Roads to the Alamo" and really wanted to play Bowie.

Well...now here's an idea. Why not cast Patric as Bowie, again...this time reflecting on this life before The Alamo and when it gets to the Sandbar fight we can have Bowie yell out: "And, away we gooooooo! :lol: !" Ok....maybe not :roll: . W>
wconly

Postby K Hale on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:39 am

wconly wrote:Well...now here's an idea. Why not cast Patric as Bowie, again...

Indeed. And again, and again and again and... :o
K Hale

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:43 am

wconly wrote:
bustedluck wrote:You all may laugh at this, but I read that Jason Patric is the grandson of Jackie Gleason. Is that true? I also saw on the DVD of the 2004 Alamo that he read "Three Roads to the Alamo" and really wanted to play Bowie.

Well...now here's an idea. Why not cast Patric as Bowie, again...this time reflecting on this life before The Alamo and when it gets to the Sandbar fight we can have Bowie yell out: "And, away we gooooooo! :lol: !" Ok....maybe not :roll: . W>

Hahaha! The difference is that granddad Jackie always kept a teacup of booze with him during his openings and closings on his entertainment show (supposedly). Jason, on the other hand, kept a swig of Tabasco Sauce in his pocket to chug before each take so he would sound sick.

According to John Lee, he was reluctant to call Jason Patric at first because he knew Patric picked his parts carefully. But when Jason read the script, he liked the challenge of playing Bowie and accepted readily. No, he did not have his sites set on playing Bowie. I thought he did a fantastic job.
RLC-GTT

Postby wconly on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:47 am

RLC-GTT wrote:
wconly wrote:

Hahaha! The difference is that granddad Jackie always kept a teacup of booze with him during his openings and closings on his entertainment show (supposedly). Jason, on the other hand, kept a swig of Tabasco Sauce in his pocket to chug before each take so he would sound sick.

According to John Lee, he was reluctant to call Jason Patric at first because he knew Patric picked his parts carefully. But when Jason read the script, he liked the challenge of playing Bowie and accepted readily. No, he did not have his sites set on playing Bowie. I thought he did a fantastic job.

He certainly was the quintesential Bowie for me! With Crockett, I would have changed a few things -- but they would have been very, very minor. And, the more I watch Wilson's Travis I can see some alterations too -- a bit more Harvey and also Baldwin. W>
wconly

Postby tman56 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:58 am

I know this is somewhat off topic, but since we're discussing Jason Patric's genealogy, does anyone else think it's interesting that he doesn't look anything like his father (Jason Miller), even as he ages?

tman56
tman56

Postby K Hale on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:35 am

tman56 wrote:I know this is somewhat off topic, but since we're discussing Jason Patric's genealogy, does anyone else think it's interesting that he doesn't look anything like his father (Jason Miller), even as he ages?

tman56

Well, I don't look anything like my mother; I look like my dad and his parents. Maybe he looks like his mom. I Googled Jason Miller but all I got were a bunch of photos of some boxer...

Frankly, I think he's aging well. :shock:
K Hale

Postby gtj222 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:51 am

Kristi,
Jason Miller was the young priest in the movie the exorcist. Try that.
gtj222

Postby K Hale on Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:21 am

gtj222 wrote:Kristi,

OK...

Mr. Patric is fortunate.
K Hale

Postby NefariousNed on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:45 am

K Hale wrote:
gtj222 wrote:Kristi,

OK...

Mr. Patric is fortunate.
Attachments
Jason Miller.jpg
Jason Miller.jpg (3.98 KiB) Viewed 3833 times
jason_patrick.jpg
jason_patrick.jpg (6.04 KiB) Viewed 3831 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby K Hale on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:52 am

Pop looks like Al Pacino. :P
K Hale

Postby cc nolen on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:22 pm

Looks like father and son to me........I dont look like my dad either ;) wait till I find that Milk Man!!!! :lol:
cc nolen

Postby wconly on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:29 am

cc nolen wrote:Looks like father and son to me........I dont look like my dad either ;) wait till I find that Milk Man!!!! :lol:

Yeah...I see a great deal of resemblence here. Milk Man? How low scale. My dad was a Mail Man and he never had to ring twice :shock: :lol: ! W>
wconly

Postby nybob on Sun May 20, 2012 5:42 am

I am new to this site and i just wanted to put in my dream Alamo cast. I would have liked to see John Wayne as Jim Bowie, a young Errol Flynn as Travis, and Henry Fonda as Crockett. Santa Ana would be played by Anthony Quinn. Thanks
nybob

Postby wconly on Sun May 20, 2012 5:53 am

nybob wrote:I am new to this site and i just wanted to put in my dream Alamo cast. I would have liked to see John Wayne as Jim Bowie, a young Errol Flynn as Travis, and Henry Fonda as Crockett. Santa Ana would be played by Anthony Quinn. Thanks

Now that is an interesting mix. I do like the Anthony Quinn idea! Never thought of that. Of coarse it would have changed the movie significantly, as I am certain that Quinn would not have taken a role that didn't have a good deal of dialoge for himself! Not so sure about Flynn as Travis, nor Wayne as Bowie. Even though Wayne didn't want to star as Crockett, I think the 'tides of the Hollywood winds,' so to speak, had the right idea. He really was perfect, in most regards, for the film. Though, as I grow older, I still wonder what it would have been like if good 'ol Mr. Parker had been able to take it on! Sorry, just watched 'The River Boat Pirates' the other night and you just have to love our 50's generation-Crockett! W>
wconly

Postby nybob on Sun May 20, 2012 8:18 am

I based my choices on different performances. Flynn the swashbuckler could also play the western as in They Died With Their Boots On. I think he would have made a great line in the sand speech. Henry Fonda as Young Abe Lincoln showed common sense and a good wit like Crockett. He also could carry a musket as he did in Drums Along The Mohawk. I know its hard to forget the image of John Wayne as Crockett. I do think though that he had the size and star power to be a commanding bowie. Imagine him with that huge knife. I am glad you liked Anthony Quinn. He would be a strong Santa Ana. Anyway its fun to play the what if game.
nybob

PreviousNext

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )