John Farkis' Book: NOT THINKIN'... JUST REMEMBERIN'...

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

John Farkis' Book: NOT THINKIN'... JUST REMEMBERIN'...

Postby Doc on Mon May 05, 2014 7:36 pm

Didn't know where to post my question, but figured this is as good a spot as any.

I have been looking forward to reading Mustang's upcoming book about making our beloved "The Alamo" and would like to ask John (or anyone else
who might know) if there is a targeted publishing date. Having just revisited some of the threads about the production I was once again struck by the
information and details he has posted and can only imagine what he's saved for the book. So, once again Mustang, if I have to wait much longer I'll
have to enlist my grandson to read it to me as I sit drooling in a corner of the hospice. Anything new?
Doc

Re: John Farkis' New Book

Postby NefariousNed on Mon May 05, 2014 9:28 pm

It's high time we started a thread on this, Doc.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Rick on Mon May 05, 2014 9:43 pm

I can tell you that the light at the end of the tunnel is huge and bright.

This book will blow you away.

I'd hate to be the guy who has to put the Index together.
"When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape."
Rick

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 05, 2014 10:58 pm

If you can imagine a book with research that follows every lead of every aspect of the movie, its planning, production, personnel, facts, legends, and problems, or if you can believe there is a person who could identify, track down and interview every participant, living or dead, and assemble this giant gigsaw puzzle into a book, then you can only slightly imagine how phenomenal, excellent -- and long -- this book will be. There isn't a person on this forum who will be able to resist reading every word, me included. ;)
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon May 05, 2014 11:00 pm

Rick wrote:I'd hate to be the guy who has to put the Index together.

I'd hate to be the guy who has to carry the damn thing all over HHD in order to find John so he could sign it for me.
RLC-GTT

Postby Doc on Tue May 06, 2014 12:41 am

Guess I'll have to take better care of myself until I can finish memorizing every word. Of course, if Mustang requires an outsider to spell or fact check before publication, I'm his man. If I could express my anticipation for this work, I'd have to quote Turkey Creek Johnson (Buck Taylor) in Tombstone - "I ain't got the words".
Doc

Postby RLC-GTT on Tue May 06, 2014 7:27 pm

Doc wrote:"I ain't got the words".

Thank goodness this isn't a problem for Mustang!
RLC-GTT

Postby Doc on Wed May 07, 2014 4:09 pm

I don't know, Rich. If he had a few less words we would be reading his book by now.
Doc

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed May 07, 2014 5:07 pm

Doc wrote:I don't know, Rich. If he had a few less words we would be reading his book by now.

Why Doc, "words are what men live by. Words they say and mean. You musta had a real careless upbringing." :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby Doc on Thu May 08, 2014 4:21 am

????????? What film is that quote from?
Doc

Postby MartyB on Thu May 08, 2014 5:02 am

Doc wrote:????????? What film is that quote from?

It was "The Comancheros".....

Jake Cutter (John Wayne)...said the line while debating with Paul Regret (Stuart Whitman) about justice, honor, and manhood.......

The scene...

Ranger Capt. Jake Cutter: Let him make a run for it, I'd say to myself.

Paul Regret: And then what would you say?

Ranger Capt. Jake Cutter: And then I'd say back to myself, you can't let him run. You swore an oath when they put that badge on you.

Paul Regret: And that's important to you?

Ranger Capt. Jake Cutter: I said I swore an oath.

Paul Regret: Words!

Ranger Capt. Jake Cutter: Mon-sewer, words are what men live by... words they say and mean...You must have had a real careless upbringing!
Attachments
0_L03.jpg
0_L03.jpg (152.79 KiB) Viewed 12222 times
Marty Brazil
Our past is not a dead past, but still lives. Our forefathers created the present by their sacrifice of the past. What they dreamed, we live…and…what they lived we dream.
MartyB

Postby Rick on Thu May 08, 2014 3:13 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:
Rick wrote:I'd hate to be the guy who has to put the Index together.

I'd hate to be the guy who has to carry the damn thing all over HHD in order to find John so he could sign it for me.

I know that for next HHD, when Mustang brings along 10,000 copies for his massive book-signing gigs, he's going to make Rich tote all 10,000 books from place to place. :o

Rich doesn't know this yet, so don't tell him.
Rick

Postby NefariousNed on Thu May 08, 2014 3:26 pm

Well, somebody had better hire a caisson for Rich to tote the books on, then. He can hitch it up like Hay-Soose, the good, honest mule.
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu May 08, 2014 4:49 pm

Seems like "Rich" is gonna be somewhere wholey other, come HHD next year. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby michaelalamo on Thu May 08, 2014 5:19 pm

I spoke with Mustang a few weeks back. He is wearin' out horses getting to to end of the book. He's pretty close...but this is going to be something spectacular.
He was telling me that it might be so big that it might just come out as an Ebook. So us "old dudes" don't break anything carrying it around . Right now there is no such Alamo book this BIG in the North American continent, although there have been reports of some in Europe. I just hope John doesn't have to cut anything out like Wyane had to with the Birthday Scene !!!
I didn't read it...I heard it !!!
michaelalamo

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu May 08, 2014 5:29 pm

There is a woman in Uvalde -- the wife of the man who is handling pasturage and hunting on the ranch for Jamie -- who was one of the children in the birthday party scene and she was able to point herself out to me when I showed her a few of the photos. She did not know that the scene had been put back in.
RLC-GTT

Postby NefariousNed on Thu May 08, 2014 9:49 pm

michaelalamo wrote:I spoke with Mustang a few weeks back. He is wearin' out horses getting to to end of the book. He's pretty close...but this is going to be something spectacular.
He was telling me that it might be so big that it might just come out as an Ebook. So us "old dudes" don't break anything carrying it around . Right now there is no such Alamo book this BIG in the North American continent, although there have been reports of some in Europe. I just hope John doesn't have to cut anything out like Wyane had to with the Birthday Scene !!!

Ebooks and Kindle are okay for folks who like newfangled reading technology. I am not one of them. I am a book collector. I collect. I want to hold the
precious tome in my two hands, personally inscribed by the author. A thing of beauty and wonder for both my nightstand and book shelf.
NefariousNed

Postby MUSTANG on Thu May 08, 2014 10:34 pm

You all are putting an awful lot of pressure on me. I only hope the book is worthy of the anticipated praise. I should say, though, that a few folks have read various sections of this and are very complimentary so that makes me feel good. As to when it will be ready; unfortunately, every time I think I'm close, I undercover more to add. I recently interviewed both Ruben Padilla Jr. and Ruben Padilla III and now have to add their stories back in. And, they gave me yet another path to explore. So, you never know. I have been asked to hold off until next May to release it at the grand opening of the new John Wayne Birthplace Museum in Winterset, Iowa but I can't wait that long. All I can say is that it will be something later this year, God willing and the creek don't rise. And, nobody will be happier than Jean that this damn thing is finally finished!!!
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Thu May 08, 2014 10:40 pm

MUSTANG wrote:...a few folks have read various sections of this and are very complimentary so that makes me feel good.

How else are we gonna get free copies -- or sets! :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Thu May 08, 2014 10:59 pm

Exactly!!!! Thanks for reminding me. LOL!
MUSTANG

Postby Rick on Fri May 09, 2014 12:05 am

:? :o :?:
Last edited by Rick on Sat May 10, 2014 2:15 am, edited 5 times in total.
Rick

Postby TexianAtHeartII on Fri May 09, 2014 12:48 am

MUSTANG wrote:You all are putting an awful lot of pressure on me. I only hope the book is worthy of the anticipated praise. I should say, though, that a few folks have read various sections of this and are very complimentary so that makes me feel good. As to when it will be ready; unfortunately, every time I think I'm close, I undercover more to add. I recently interviewed both Ruben Padilla Jr. and Ruben Padilla III and now have to add their stories back in. And, they gave me yet another path to explore. So, you never know. I have been asked to hold off until next May to release it at the grand opening of the new John Wayne Birthplace Museum in Winterset, Iowa but I can't wait that long. All I can say is that it will be something later this year, God willing and the creek don't rise. And, nobody will be happier than Jean that this damn thing is finally finished!!!

Well, John, if that's what's written, that's what's written. When it's time, it's time.
TexianAtHeartII

Postby MUSTANG on Fri May 09, 2014 12:55 am

TexianAtHeartII wrote:
Well, John, if that's what's written, that's what's written. When it's time, it's time.

I never noticed!!!! Westland. Shoot, I live in Brighton. And I ought to know. Only live forty miles apart.
MUSTANG

Postby cc nolen on Fri May 09, 2014 3:21 pm

John, I haven't known you long, but I can tell by the way you jumped in and helped me with the Alamo Movie Knives...especially the knives John Wayne carried, this is your passion, and it will be outstanding!..........Now, when can I buy 1 or 3 or 10 ? :o
chris...
cc nolen

Postby MUSTANG on Fri May 09, 2014 6:05 pm

Just wait for it, Chris. I'm wearing out horses trying to get it finished!! LOL!
MUSTANG

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri May 09, 2014 6:27 pm

TexianAtHeartII wrote:
MUSTANG wrote:You all are putting an awful lot of pressure on me. I only hope the book is worthy of the anticipated praise. I should say, though, that a few folks have read various sections of this and are very complimentary so that makes me feel good. As to when it will be ready; unfortunately, every time I think I'm close, I undercover more to add. I recently interviewed both Ruben Padilla Jr. and Ruben Padilla III and now have to add their stories back in. And, they gave me yet another path to explore. So, you never know. I have been asked to hold off until next May to release it at the grand opening of the new John Wayne Birthplace Museum in Winterset, Iowa but I can't wait that long. All I can say is that it will be something later this year, God willing and the creek don't rise. And, nobody will be happier than Jean that this damn thing is finally finished!!!

...Talkin' just makes it the harder... so stir up that mule!

(However, don't avoid words as much as Rick did in his post at the top of this page. :lol: )
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Fri May 09, 2014 6:30 pm

MUSTANG wrote:Just wait for it, Chris. I'm wearing out horses trying to get it finished!! LOL!

...and we might make you LIMP soon, if ya don't apply the quirt!
RLC-GTT

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Fri May 09, 2014 9:18 pm

Let me see. I believe ANOTHER TRIO has formed up. I'm a few miles away from two of you guys. Seems we need to get together fro a drink or two or ten.
John I will contact you when I finish with my travels mid June. I plan on saddlin' up fer a visit.
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby Rick on Sat May 10, 2014 2:54 am

(However, don't avoid words as much as Rick did in his post at the top of this page. :lol: )

I deleted my original post because it was a poor attempt at being witty. Had to leave something there, though (or the deletion wouldn't "take"), so I left the period at the end of the last sentence. Should've asked Ned to delete the whole thing for me.

Didn't post the photo, either. Never saw it before. Nice shot of Mr. and Mrs. Farkis, though.
Rick

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat May 10, 2014 4:00 am

Rick wrote:(However, don't avoid words as much as Rick did in his post at the top of this page. :lol: )

I deleted my original post because it was a poor attempt at being witty. Had to leave something there, though (or the deletion wouldn't "take"), so I left the period at the end of the last sentence. Should've asked Ned to delete the whole thing for me.

Didn't post the photo, either. Never saw it before. Nice shot of Mr. and Mrs. Farkis, though.

Sheesh! Ask a simple question and get a pageant! (Of course, I didn't really ASK a question.)
RLC-GTT

Postby MUSTANG on Sat May 10, 2014 4:11 am

Ya doesn't has ta call me Mr. Farkis. You can call me .....forget it.
MUSTANG

Postby Rick on Sat May 10, 2014 1:52 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:
Rick wrote:(However, don't avoid words as much as Rick did in his post at the top of this page. :lol: )

Sheesh! Ask a simple question and get a pageant! (Of course, I didn't really ASK a question.)

I like to hear a Texan laugh with a Pennsylvania accent. :)
Rick

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat May 10, 2014 5:17 pm

Rick wrote:I like to hear a Texan laugh with a Pennsylvania accent. :)

Wait! Is that possible? Never occurred to me. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby Rick on Sat May 10, 2014 10:35 pm

The Great and Powerful Mustang has granted me permiso to post occasional teasers on the contents of his upcoming book.

Bear in mind that many of his early chapters are "building blocks," setting the stage for Wayne's eventual filming of his dream project.

These cover his life, political evolution and several of his early films. All chapters are thoroughly documented with sources. Here are a few chapter titles:

Forward (briefly takes us through the first day of shooting on The Alamo)

Beginnings

Political Reflections I

York, Brittles and Yorke (the Cavalry Trilogy)

Political Reflections II

The Not So Quiet Man (a movie some guy with an eyepatch filmed in a foreign country)

False Starts

"An RKO Radioactive Picture" (St. George, Utah)

"Let's Go Home, Debbie" (some Western the Eyepatch Guy filmed in 1955)

------

The book's title and cover art remain under wraps.
Last edited by Rick on Sun May 11, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Postby Seguin on Sun May 11, 2014 5:32 am

The Great and Powerful Mustang has granted me permiso to post occasional teasers on the contents of his upcoming book.

Interesting sounding chapters! Any more chapter titles you can share?
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun May 11, 2014 6:44 am

Seguin wrote:

Interesting sounding chapters! Any more chapter titles you can share?

Yeah, and slow down. Mustang's trying to keep up with copying down the titles so he can start writing the chapters! :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Sun May 11, 2014 12:30 pm

This response comes from a guy who should have had a book out a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago. :roll: :mrgreen:
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby Doc on Sun May 11, 2014 4:59 pm

Thanks to Mustang and Rick for providing those chapter titles. Please keep the teasers coming.
Doc

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun May 11, 2014 5:53 pm

Fargo Fenwyck wrote:This response comes from a guy who should have had a book out a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago. :roll: :mrgreen:

But Fargo, I am a man of few words.
RLC-GTT

Postby Rick on Sun May 11, 2014 6:57 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:
Fargo Fenwyck wrote:This response comes from a guy who should have had a book out a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago. :roll: :mrgreen:

But Fargo, I am a man of few words.

I've heard that. Never believed it, though. Just a vicious rumor, probably.
Rick

Next

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )