The Film Set & Location.

Discussion On All Aspects Of The Film.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: The Film Set & Location.

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:18 pm

Long Barrack destruction as seen from the roof of the Low Barrack.

(Back a page for 3 more of John Farkis' images.)
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby Seguin on Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:01 am

That´s what I call thorough destruction!
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:10 pm

My latest acquisition, an original AP photo of the Waynamo chapel dated February, 1963.

Note lintel over confessional room window is gone, as are the original doors. Per Rich, the crooked "X" should be lying flat on the cannon platform.
The powder smudged lower window of the baptistry/powder magazine seems to have been either cleaned up, or washed away, as has most of the
light plaster and paint details applied by Al Ybarra to make the Brackettville limestone match the color of the original Alamo in San Antonio.

By this time, John Ford had already destroyed the look of the Low Barrack by building up the ridgeline for "Two Rode Together" and then thoughtfully
plastering over Al Ybarra's delicate mural work outside the main gate.
Attachments
AlamoChapelBrackettvilleFeb1963-AP-Photo.jpg
AlamoChapelBrackettvilleFeb1963-AP-Photo.jpg (118.69 KiB) Viewed 4998 times
The "OUTSIDE THE ALAMO, Songs of Ned Huthmacher Performed by John Beland" CD Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OutsideTheAlamo/
NefariousNed

Postby DocWylie on Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:30 am

Great image, Ned. I can't recall seeing very many photos of the set from that time period. Interesting to make note of the changes and alterations from each film.
DocWylie

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:29 pm

DocWylie wrote:Great image, Ned. I can't recall seeing very many photos of the set from that time period. Interesting to make note of the changes and alterations from each film.

I think Rich Curilla mentioned somewhere on the forum how the doors of the Waynamo chapel may've been considered as props and so were removed after filming had concluded and then taken back to Hollywood. If true, it would sure be nice to know where they now reside. If not true, why would Happy Shahan have removed the doors?
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:18 pm

Sometimes, Ned, the only reason a production might take something like that back to Hollywood with them is security. What if the key scene in the movie -- Crockett getting lanced into the door -- ended up getting lost in the laboratory or some other unforeseen accident after returning from Texas? A reshoot of just the scene with Crockett and the attacker COULD have been filmed in a studio in Hollywood by recreating just the area around the entrance way. What could NOT be duplicated would have been those doors -- at least not accurately. I know that on Bandolero!, Bill Clothier insisted that they take the doors from their cantina set in the Alamo back with them because there would be no way to match the Texas wood with Holly-wood. Remember, Jimmy Stewart gets shot and slams back into those doors in the movie. So it is certainly possible Clothier suggested the same for John Wayne's doors "for continuity reasons." I don't know this to be a fact, but it is how movies work.
RLC-GTT

Postby SantaClaus on Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:58 pm

RLC-GTT wrote: I know that on Bandolero!, Bill Clothier insisted that they take the doors from their cantina set in the Alamo back with them because there would be no way to match the Texas wood with Holly-wood. Remember, Jimmy Stewart gets shot and slams back into those doors in the movie.

What a coincidence. I once had a shot slam me back into a door during my wild and crazy youth. I don't know what was in that glass, but it sure had a kick to it. :lol:
SantaClaus

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:06 am

And I'll bet you didn't worry about the continuity of the wood at that moment (or for the next few days) either. :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby SantaClaus on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:20 am

RLC-GTT wrote:And I'll bet you didn't worry about the continuity of the wood at that moment (or for the next few days) either. :lol:

These days, I'm more worried about incontinuity, or something like that. :o
SantaClaus

Postby Buckshot on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:46 am

SantaClaus wrote:
RLC-GTT wrote:And I'll bet you didn't worry about the continuity of the wood at that moment (or for the next few days) either. :lol:

These days, I'm more worried about incontinuity, or something like that. :o

Richard, I am absolutely convinced that you are a master of the incongruous one-liner humor! :lol: :lol: And Rich C is pretty good at it too!
Keep up the good work! I enjoy it!
Buckshot

Postby RLC-GTT on Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:21 am

Ha! And he encourages us yet! :lol:
RLC-GTT

Postby findem_killem on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:22 am

Nice picture of the chapel but I have one question,,, where is the crack?
findem_killem

Postby mrbassbone on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:25 am

findem_killem wrote:Nice picture of the chapel but I have one question,,, where is the crack?

You don't want to see it.
"Tenacity, Dick! Stay with the B*****DS until they are on the bottom!"

"Mush" Morton to his XO Richard H. O'Kane on the USS WAHOO while on patrol in the East China Sea 1943
mrbassbone

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:51 pm

There are no plumbers a the Alamo :roll:
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby MartyB on Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:05 pm

mrbassbone wrote:
findem_killem wrote:Nice picture of the chapel but I have one question,,, where is the crack?

You don't want to see it.

I don't know about you fellers but even when the Waynamo has crumbled to dust...It will still stand tall and shine bright in the memory of this child...
Attachments
JWFLM_0001_05_06.jpg
JWFLM_0001_05_06.jpg (222.31 KiB) Viewed 4520 times
JWFLM_0001_05c.jpg
JWFLM_0001_05c.jpg (252.22 KiB) Viewed 4531 times
Marty Brazil
Our past is not a dead past, but still lives. Our forefathers created the present by their sacrifice of the past. What they dreamed, we live…and…what they lived we dream.
MartyB

Postby DocWylie on Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:37 am

MartyB wrote:
I don't know about you fellers but even when the Waynamo has crumbled to dust...It will still stand tall and shine bright in the memory of this child...

Excellent images, Marty.
DocWylie

Postby Sharkman on Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:14 am

When I picture the Alamo that is the image I see. I think Disney should have used this set and saved a few bucks, plus maybe it would be in better shape now. I still wish Ron Howard had stayed on board,although he wanted a new set. Is it to far gone to still be used in a movie or tv show?
Sharkman

Postby NefariousNed on Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:24 am

Sharkman wrote:When I picture the Alamo that is the image I see. I think Disney should have used this set and saved a few bucks, plus maybe it would be in better shape now. I still wish Ron Howard had stayed on board,although he wanted a new set. Is it to far gone to still be used in a movie or tv show?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=747&start=400#p159998
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:12 am

Sharkman wrote:When I picture the Alamo that is the image I see. I think Disney should have used this set and saved a few bucks, plus maybe it would be in better shape now. I still wish Ron Howard had stayed on board,although he wanted a new set. Is it to far gone to still be used in a movie or tv show?

Ron Howard's production designer Michael Corenblith spent the day with me at Alamo Village on his second day on the job in October, 2001, and loved the sets. We talked a lot about the sets vs. history. I pointed out that the town was in the wrong place (south of the Alamo insead of west) and asked if that would be a problem. Michael said, "Richard, this is a 125-million dollar movie [Ron's budget then]. If we want the town over there," he said, pointing to where it should have been, "it will be over there." Michael said when he and Ron had discussed locations, Ron suggested checking out Alamo Village first, and then search other locations. After his day here, Michael scouted something like 22 other locations in six states and Canada, as was the plan. He took numerous photos of our sets, and two photos each of other locations -- one looking from where he would build the Alamo to where he would build the town, and vice-versa. He later told me that he laid all those pictures out on a large table unlabeled and called Ron into the room. "Which look do you want for your location," he asked Ron. He said Ron scanned the landscape shots and immediately pointed to one set. This was the Dripping Springs ranch where they filmed the movie more than a year later. THAT is how movie locations are selected. When Michael called to tell us that our sets were not selected, I asked why not. His answer was simple, "Ron wants to build his own." Since this is kind of what I was expecting, it didn't surprise me. I'll use the analogy of a person who is poor. People give him clothes -- hand-me-downs. When he makes some money, he buys his own clothes. When he gets wealthy enough, he has his clothes tailor-made. Same with movies. Ron chose to have his set tailor-made rather than using John Wayne's hand-me-down. I understand that perfectly.

In truth, if they had done the movie here, it would have ruined our sets. Everything they built would have been by Hollywood scenic technique -- plywood walls held up by telephone poles at the corners and stuck in the ground, then surfaced with realistic looking materials like adobe and stone and then painted and aged (just like their set was ultimately constructed). It would have looked great for a year or so and then begun to rot and fall over.

Ned said it best in a post some years ago, and I paraphrase. When you are out at Alamo Village in its debilitated condition, it looks like an old, weather-beaten Mexican town. When you were at the Disney Touchstone set, it just looked like a movie set rotting away.
RLC-GTT

Postby RLC-GTT on Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:33 am

We still do movies.
RLC-GTT

Postby gh1836 on Thu May 12, 2016 2:20 pm

Chaska wrote:It's been pointed out before that there are a lot of crosses in the Waynamo - but does anybody have an explanation for this one?
Look atop the connecting wall to the left of the church - there appears to be a damaged iron cross stuck in the top of the wall!
Has anybody noticed this before? Does anyone recall any other scenes where it appears?

And here is a link on facebook with another picture of this mysterious cross.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater
Gary Heck
gh1836

Postby SantaClaus on Thu May 12, 2016 4:00 pm

gh1836 wrote:
Chaska wrote:It's been pointed out before that there are a lot of crosses in the Waynamo - but does anybody have an explanation for this one?
Look atop the connecting wall to the left of the church - there appears to be a damaged iron cross stuck in the top of the wall!
Has anybody noticed this before? Does anyone recall any other scenes where it appears?

And here is a link on facebook with another picture of this mysterious cross.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater

I never noticed that before. I'll take a wild guess and suggest that it was the leftover mount/support for onr of those two fake Texans that stand on that wall without moving during the "frontal assault" first attack. I had not noticed the two men, frozen in action poses, until Rich Curilla mentioned them once. I believe he said those motionless Texans drive him crazy every time he seems them. Perhaps they would have been too obvious in this closer shot, so they were removed, and their supports left in place. That's my wild guess.
Richard McClory
SantaClaus

Postby gh1836 on Thu May 12, 2016 4:05 pm

Maybe Richard. There is a another shot I've seen on this forum showing Mexican soldiers advancing through a colapsed wall of the chapel and you can see this same object on a wall above their heads.
Gary Heck
gh1836

Postby MUSTANG on Thu May 12, 2016 11:19 pm

Yes, we beat that question to death on one of the threads but, for the life of me I can't find it. Maybe Ned or Rich can. Some thought it was a cross, others suggested it was a leftover support or column to a scaffold, and I think someone even suggested it was a microphone. I don't think we ever really resolved it. Sorry I can't forward the discussion to you all.
MUSTANG

Postby SantaClaus on Fri May 13, 2016 12:07 am

MUSTANG wrote:Yes, we beat that question to death on one of the threads but, for the life of me I can't find it. Maybe Ned or Rich can. Some thought it was a cross, others suggested it was a leftover support or column to a scaffold, and I think someone even suggested it was a microphone. I don't think we ever really resolved it. Sorry I can't forward the discussion to you all.

It was initially discussed on page 2 of this same thread.
Richard McClory viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40#p8854
SantaClaus

Postby Fargo Fenwyck on Fri May 13, 2016 12:16 pm

And we never DID solve it!!!! :roll:
Fargo Fenwyck

Postby NefariousNed on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:56 am

Part of an old US Army documentary with clips of the Waynamo set from maybe 1960, 1961?
NefariousNed

Postby RLC-GTT on Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:25 am

Happy used to have photos in the museum of this maneuver that the army did in the Waynamo. The other shots in that video are from "Man From the Alamo," which include footage they used from one of the silent Alamo movies.
RLC-GTT

Postby SantaClaus on Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:44 pm

RLC-GTT wrote:Happy used to have photos in the museum of this maneuver that the army did in the Waynamo. The other shots in that video are from "Man From the Alamo," which include footage they used from one of the silent Alamo movies.

I remember seeing those B & W photos there at Alamo Village. My recollection is that there was a title or label above or around the pictures, something like "U.S. Army defends walls of the Alamo", and I think one showed troops with helmets on, holding their rifles, and "defending" a very white Alamo wall. Do I remember that right, sort of?
SantaClaus

Postby fespar on Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:47 pm

You're right! I remember seeing the newspaper from my visit there in Feb.1974.Soldiers were in the prone position on top of the chapel or the South Barracks with airplanes flying over very very low!
fespar

Postby RLC-GTT on Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:43 am

Richard, you are remembering better than I, but yes that sounds exactly right. Fespar, I'm not remembering the planes. Just the soldiers and the positions. But I don't remember many things well. ;)
RLC-GTT

Previous

Return to The Alamo ( 1960 )