Everything Travis

Archivist John Farkis.

Moderator: NefariousNed

Re: Everything Travis

Postby Seguin on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:12 am

quincey morris wrote:...and the fight for Texas independence.

Thanks a lot, QM!
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby mark33 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:08 pm

Since Oct of 2008, I've been trying to draw and paint a good likeness of William B. Travis. I started off by using the Wiley Martin sketch, which I now refer to as the "Templeton" sketch - (see updated page 13). I suppose what I should of done all along is work from the photo shown above of his (son), Charles Edward Travis. I recommend that other Alamo artists work from Charles's photo as well. These new Travis drawings are my second attempt to copy Charles's features the best I can. Both sketches are the same but the mustache has been removed on the bottom sketch; other changes include adding longer sideburns and making his hair shorter with a different hair style. In Charles's (photo), his hair is slicked down; in my drawing of William, his hair has the dry look. I'm now working on a colored painting of William B. Travis that should be done this summer.

William Barret Travis........by Mark Barnett - April 2009.
Last edited by mark33 on Mon May 04, 2009 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See more of my artwork at: http://www.artwanted.com/mark33
mark33

Postby marklemon on Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:31 pm

Very nice work,Mark. If son looked anything like father, this may be as close a likeness as we have at this time.
"The truth shall set you free...but first it will piss you off!"
marklemon

Postby Seguin on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:38 am

Great drawings, Mark! The son probably looked more or less like his father. He certainly does´nt look like a spitting image of his mother, so using the son´s photo as a "model sheet" is probably the only way to go since that´s all we got right now.

I´m looking forward to see the painting when it´s finished!
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby zapadore on Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:19 pm

...very nice work!!!!...Another valuable visual tool with which to better the whole story of the Alamo and its defenders! Well done!
zapadore

Postby AlamoAl on Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:36 am

Really nice Mark! :D
AlamoAl

Postby mark33 on Fri May 01, 2009 4:58 pm

THANKS !!!
The drawing to the (left) is still the same face as the other drawings above, only with shorter, slicked-down hair and no sideburns. The painting to the (right) is where I'm trying to reproduce the same facial features. Since the son did not look much like his mother or sister, I assumed that he might have looked somewhat like his father.

There are many variations that could be correct. There's always the argument that he could of looked like one of his grand parents or an uncle, etc.... But since we do not have any images of these other family members, we are left with only the photo of Charles. I believe that there is a better than 50/50 chance of a good likeness with Charles's photo.

The fact is, we might never know for sure...only a new software program in the future might be the answer. For now, this is as close as I can get. I'm going to keep working on this painting until I'm satisfied. I'll post a final image before summer is over. Thanks for the positive feedback; this helps to motivate me. I hope that these new images of Travis will make a difference and show the Alamo community a more accurate possibility to what the man could of looked like.
Last edited by mark33 on Fri May 01, 2009 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark33

Postby Davy on Fri May 01, 2009 5:22 pm

Good stuff Mark! :o :lol: Ya don get lard ... lessin ya bile tha hog!

Davy
In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them. Anonymous ..
Davy

Postby Seguin on Sat May 02, 2009 3:36 am

Well done, Mark! There´s certainly a very good possibility Travis looked something like that...
Recuerden El Alamo!
Seguin

Postby mark33 on Sat May 02, 2009 2:55 pm

Thanks!!! In different descriptions that I've read, it says that W.B.T. had reddish-brown hair; another description said reddish-blond hair. Mexican soldiers claimed his hair was light in color. Other descriptions said he had gray eyes, and another said blue-gray eyes.

Many people have grown accustomed to the look that they've seen in the Wiley Martin sketch, with short hair and long sideburns, so I've somewhat incorporated that look into some of my work, just to make those people happy; we already know how I feel about that. Also, in other descriptions, his nickname is referred to as "BUCK", perhaps meaning that he had buckteeth.

In my colored painting, I've drawn his mouth in such a way so that it appears that he has an overbite. We can also see an overbite in Charles's photo and perhaps with his mother's portrait as well. (Below) is a description that I got from "Ned" off of page 4. It says that W.B.T. used (ointment on his hair). This would be similar to the (slicked down) look that we also see in Charles's photo; I added this look into my painting....We see this in other Travis paintings too.

I've tried to cover all of the bases and I've spent 9 months on research and sketches. I have over 2 dozen practice sketches and 3 paintings of Travis; most have been deleted from websites because they were not sufficiently accurate. These final images are the ones that I feel are as close as I can get. I hope that you like them and can understand how much work went into it.

................................................................................................................................................
Travis description from page 4 :

Says Martha Ann Turner in WILLIAM BARRET TRAVIS, His Sword and His Pen, pg. 50 para. 4 ...In dress, he was fastidious, in appearance, impressive (he was tall and good looking),in grooming, meticulous (he used ointment on his hair and such perfumes as bergamot and lavender, wore pump and stockings to the balls instead of the usual boots)...
................................................................................................................................................

PS.....I'm also open to any suggestions for changes in my painting or what the background should be. You are welcome to send me a PM. Thank you very much.
Last edited by mark33 on Mon May 04, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark33

PreviousNext

Return to Alamo Research.